Why all the hate for local brands?

@priyasukumaram

Are you assuming everyone changes their phones every year ?
Since you mentioned
Not everyone but i cant live with One year old Android version....
Consider this ...with dual core being a norm these day ..how can i be satisfied with 600mhz or 800mhz phones running older OS version and ram restrictions ..Apps these days are resource hungry too... + there are high graphic games... Its just me raksrules ...I m a techie girl and you know that ;)

My 2 cents to this discussion,
I bought Micromax Canvas HD because I didn't want to buy a costly phone. I must say the build quality, ease of use and smoothness is on par with high end phones. Not a single issue till date. Best smartphone in below 15000 category.
I think Indian companies should get some respect for giving such sturdy phones at very cheap prices. I would say the only issue with Indian companies is A.S.S.

My 2 cents to this discussion,
I bought Micromax Canvas HD because I didn't want to buy a costly phone. I must say the build quality, ease of use and smoothness is on par with high end phones. Not a single issue till date. Best smartphone in below 15000 category.
I think Indian companies should get some respect for giving such sturdy phones at very cheap prices. I would say the only issue with Indian companies is A.S.S.

You do know these "Indian" companies actually do not manufacture any of these phones. They are rebranded chinese phones.

My micromax a110 has failed for the second time within a year . This is unacceptable . I will not buy a Chinese rebrands anymore . And as I have a galaxy s3 I can say the built quality is vastly superior compared to micromax . I have a note 1 , galaxy grand duos , galaxy y and Monte . I also have a Nokia c7 , e63 , and n73 with n-Gage qd . Nokia quality is better than Samsung too . Yes. I am phone crazy . I collect them . :)

Yeah man . I still like it's joystick type keypad. It made playing games easy . My n-gage qd is still working with original box and all . Love it . Sadly do not use it as it has no 3g and WiFi . Plus no whatsapp. :)

My experience with local brands( I have only purchased local brands)
1. Karbonn A5- My current phone since a year. On GB 2.3. Phone is very smooth for almost all tasks except for multi tab browsing and rich webpages. Awesome VFM. Great one handed operation. Love it.
2. Lava 501- Another great 5 inch VFM mobile . However, quite on the heavy side but better battery than my A5. Using it intermittently since 10 months
3. Karbonn A15- My only regret. ICS on a 1 ghz processor + 512 mb ram is a strict no no. Lags in basic tasks and finally went dead within 6 months. Service centre guys refusing to service on the pretext of "Since its online purchase, need to approve servicing from company" and whenever i go, they say approval has not yet arrived. Tried calling their CC, emailed them , shouted out a rant on their FB page, no response. Totally apathetic

Do i recommend local brands : No . If your phone develop problem, they will leave you in the lurch. If you have to go for local brands due to money constraint, then atleast go for MMX as it has much more services centres than other brands.

If one does not want to go for local brands but is also on budget then he/she should go for second hand older devices. I know some people always want latest and greatest but you need to compromise somewhere. Like if you want a 5+ inch device then you have options of Karbonn and such Indian brands but i would personally buy the Note1 or second hand. At least the product might be of better quality, yes without warranty but then the services of Indian brands is not great either.

I used the HTC One, LG G2, Xperia Z1 and Canvas HD. Seriously guys, there is no competition (even remotely none).

Local brands skimp on many features, which are more often than not safety regulation related. I wouldn't bet my ass on the SAR rating of a Micromax phone.

Samsung sucks in build quality. 3 sammy phones of my relatives have died within months. IMO anyone who buys a Samsung is brain washed by shopkeepers as they have highest margin on sammy crap.
I agree with him. There is something definitely lacking about the build quality of Samsung phones (I am talking about the S2, S3 and the Note 2-my main phone).
The way I see build quality, it is not about the size or shape of the phone (that is ergonomics). It is the tolerances, behavior of buttons, etc. For example the volume buttons on the Note 2 are a bit fiddly. The power button does not consistently spring back to the most extended position. The back cover does not fit flush with the phone. Even when closed, pressing in some areas produces squeaky sounds. The press-to-release mechanisms for the sim card and micros SD card are difficult to operate. Even the PS Vita and Nintendo 3DS have a better push to release mechanism. Small things, but they add up. Another good test I think would be to give two phones to someone who is not very into smart phones and ask them which is more expensive. Given a Note 2 and a Lumia 920, I know which one my mother is going to pick.

I think it would be prudent to first isolate the cause of the issue rather than just blaming the build quality (which is lacking anyways). This is because, many of the Nokia Lumia 920s from flipkart were found to be defective/dead on arrival. However, the build quality of Nokia Lumia's is excellent.

I feel that Samsung ASSC is better than those of Karbon/MMX/etc.

As for margin - Karbonn and the likes have the highest margins though, relative to % of MRP.

Samsung is hardly a comparison point. If you're talking about quality then its basically :
Local Phones <<< Samsung/LG <<<<<<<<<<<< Sony << Nokia < HTC/Apple.

Although there are exceptions, I liked the S2 and Optimus Gs build quality meanwhile hated the HTC Tattoos build quality. Some budget Sony Ericssons felt like they were made of tiffin-box plastic.

That said local brands are terrible. I tried the latest MMX Canvas 4 recently. It felt solid but it looked very cheap. There were bright light leakages at certain places of the front of the screen. LIGHT LEAKAGES YES. Even the buttons felt rickety and the finish felt cheap.

Back