Car & Bike Why are used Automatic cars frowned upon ?

Maybe thats why most of the so called developed countries have an overwhelming majority of automatics. Also perhaps thats why the newest age buses from Volvo, Scania etc are also automatics. BTW is the car in your DP a manual? I sure hope so.

God damn it!

The automatics in most of Indian cars are either CVTs or pathecially slow and horrible FE giving single clutch units.

I have nothing against DCTs with paddle shifts. Because those cars are so fact, that a man cant keep up with the pace required to extract the full performance of the cars.

It is just a personal preference. My brother loves the convenience of automatics for city driving but prefers manuals for long distance travelling. I, on the other hand, love manuals. I guess my left hand and leg is conditioned over the years for that gear lever and clutch pedal. IMO every driver should know how to drive a stick shift. Nowadays people learning on automatics, more often than not, appear clueless when asked to drive a stick. Case in point my sister-in-law.

I agree with this. One can choose whatever he feel comfortable. But that doesn't stop him from learning to drive stick shifts. It will be helpful and this way he can get the best/worst of both worlds. I, who commute everyday to office by a car, understand the pain of shifting gears. So i prefer AT only for daily commute. But other than MT will be my choice.

But however how many affordable cars have DCT anyway?

We are here talking about affordable automatics which I still believe are horrible.

Otherwise even 90% Ferraris are sold as automatics.

And they say that a man just cannot match the speed of their shifts.

As a general rule: sub-18 lakh automatics in this country are utterly useless.

So does that mean I am safe buying a used AT Toyota Camry. I am looking to get a sub-50k run AT Camry from the 2006-2011 batch around 5-6L.

So does that mean I am safe buying a used AT Toyota Camry. I am looking to get a sub-50k run AT Camry from the 2006-2011 batch around 5-6L.
Test drive it. Take it to a Toyota service center. They can do a paid evaluation for you as well. Take along a friend or three who know cars. Load the car with 4-6 people when you test drive, see the responses. Look for service history details. You will know if its a good deal.

OP when I was in your shoes, these gear shifting shit was always a bouncer for me. And I too aimed for an automatic version.:oldman:
But due to budget constraints, dad bought a used OHC. I took up driving classes and got used to gear shifting but still for some reasons I hated it.
As time passed by and as my driving improved I started liking gear shifts. It makes u fill thrilled on the road, and ask any pro driver he will enjoy manual than auto....:D

Anyways thats for me as I drive the nfs way a.k.a sporty style... and now automatics are a big NO NO for me. Cause really in that you miss the thrill of shifting gears which is another joy of ride..:joyful:

Yes, in manual we do get pissed in city traffic but then every technology comes with Pros and Cons.

And as @mrmash pointed out that these days people learning directly on automatic variant will find it tough to drive a manual if given. And yes your left hand and leg does get oiled, conditioned and exercised. ;)

Coming to the point of not buying a used automatic version itself sound a big joke as theres no issue unless the car is very well maintained esp. from engines and components point of view if not from outside. Just check for suspensions and drive the car on a smooth and bumpy roads as well. You will feel the noise and bumps if any of those isnt proper.

Test drive it. Take it to a Toyota service center. They can do a paid evaluation for you as well. Take along a friend or three who know cars. Load the car with 4-6 people when you test drive, see the responses. Look for service history details. You will know if its a good deal.

This all I will definitely do. Infact I know the manager of the local Toyota franchise so all this is not an issue. Will have to take a mechanic with me as all the Camrys available are not in my city. I was just curious about the AT used in the Camry and posted here rather than search on Google.

Edit - As for the question on topic, I would like to add my 2 cents. I have 2 manual cars at home that I drive currently - Palio and A-star. The Palio is definitely the fun to drive car despite it's age, but since I like following the speed limits in my city, it is a big PITA. The A-star is a car I wouldn't mind driving manually, because I am able to engage 5th gear at 50 and thus am getting a terrific average of 18km/l with AC in city. It reduces to 16 when my sister is driving the car.
So for a powerful car I would prefer AT in city as I like to follow the speed limits. All the people who are saying that ATs are less fun to drive should remember that roads are not a place to have fun as you are responsible not only for your own life, but lives of others as well.

Last edited:
I agree the cheap torque converters and CVT are shitty to drive.
The Rubber band effect on CVT is just pathetic.

But I like automatics with DCT. They are very much fun to drive and have different modes to drive differently. we can focus more on the road rather than the driving.

@rdst_1 having fun while driving a car doesnt always mean racing, drifting etc.....for me driving long distances in varying road conditions with a well maintained car is fun. Similarly getting feedback from the car when you shift gears and rev the engine is fun too. Agreed there is a dearth of good drivers, and we see too many people driving recklessly. But one cannot generalize, because fun is subjective and can mean different things to different people.

There is a sub 10 lac auto box with dual clutch in the polo tsi. Its quite nice fun.

However I agree with amg - manuals are a lot more involving.

Its not Auto or Manual used cars. Its the used part that should be frowned upon IMO.

Those who say auto is not fun haven't driven auto for 500km+ at a stretch. Its just bliss. You can actually enjoy the drive, Look at the roads, other drivers, have a conversation with co passengers. The background thinking of when to shift the gear or anything is missing. I enjoy manual only on short drives. As its more engaging for me then. :)

On the same note, I just paid advance on my first Auto shift car. :)

Its not Auto or Manual used cars. Its the used part that should be frowned upon IMO.

On the same note, I just paid advance on my first Auto shift car. :)

I have owned many used cars and all of them were brilliant, provided you know how to buy a used car. I, personally prefer buying a used car over a new one.

And as for the second part, congrats. As you are in the USA, I do believe it will be a stonker.

I have owned many used cars and all of them were brilliant, provided you know how to buy a used car. I, personally prefer buying a used car over a new one.

And as for the second part, congrats. As you are in the USA, I do believe it will be a stonker.

Do you have tips on how to go about buying a used car? May be open a new thread. I am total noob wrt car buying, especially used.

I did not read any specific negatives. But most people seem to be worried about the transmission. And yes I too am thinking on your line that with manuals, the abuse is more possible due to clutch and inefficient gear shifting. But with automatics, it is sort of fool proof (well not entirely). Just put in D and drive and don't worry about the shifts.

Yes you are right. The transmission a.k.a the gearbox is the most expensive in comparison to a manual unit.

If there is an insurance claim for that item due to consequential loss, then the claim is rejected by the insurance company. The customer has to bear the complete expense.

For that matter the same also applies for the manual unit but the cost might be lower than that of an automatic.

Back