Car & Bike Why are used Automatic cars frowned upon ?

I agree with most of the people that one should learn driving on a stick shift. However due to my driving experiences in the past few months, I really wanna try an automatic. I am looking for a pre-worshipped Camry for the exact reason that being an expensive car it should have a good automatic transmission.

One should not think when to shift....! ;) It should be natural and involuntary.
and such activities gradually become a chore and then brain simply processes it in the background... 0% CPU activity in computers parlance :D
Courtesy: Nat Geo - Brain Games

I agree with most of the people that one should learn driving on a stick shift. However due to my driving experiences in the past few months, I really wanna try an automatic. I am looking for a pre-worshipped Camry for the exact reason that being an expensive car it should have a good automatic transmission.
our lives are already too stressful... you are making the right decision by going for an automatic.

Buy whatever is comfortable for you. Nowadays, well maintained automatics are no more unreliable than well maintained manual transmissions. The worry when buying used is that the repair costs for a previously abused A/T will be higher than that for a previously abused M/T.

Mileage - Even non DCT cars are getting to the point where mileage is equal or higher on the automatics. (e.g., Honda City - 17.8 M/T vs 18 CVT, )

Response issue - This has improved a lot in recent times. Many drivers won't notice at all. Even for those who do, a large percentage may find it acceptable.

tl;dr - Don't listen to internet M/T warriors. Take a test drive and get an automatic if you like it.

I have been driving a manual for 5+ years. And though its for sure fun on (rare) highway trips. The daily drive in city is PITA.(Imagine clutch/break/speed for 1 hour in traffic running at 5 kmph)

I may still prefer to drive a manual but considering our next car will be driven by multiple members(read ladies); I will go for automatic.

I seriously hope more automatic versions come and having safety features.
Was checking i20 yesterday on carwale and it's manual top end has freaking 6 airbags while the AT top end (Sportz) has just 1 driver air bag and costs fcking more than 1 lakh premium. I mean just wtf is this.

Also am surprised I don't see ownership reviews and such on Nissan Micra CVT on websites like team bhp and such.
Seems people are reluctant about Nissan.

Nissan Sunny, with that horrible CVT gearbox???

You may as well buy a boat then. Or is Fuel Efficiency the life and death issue to you.

You may as well buy a boat then. Or is Fuel Efficiency the life and death issue to you.

Can you give me an unbiased reason why CVT is bad ? I honestly don't know difference between CVT and normal automatic. From the thread I know you hate automatics but I really want you to be honest why CVT is bad.
Forums like team bhp have to say good about CVT, is it only because of fuel efficiency It offers over normal automatics ?

I have to say, you seem rather intent on derailing this thread. OP started it asking for opinions on buying used automatics.

Also, what does a CVT have to do with a car handling like a boat? I have driven manuals which handle like a boat.

Can you give me an unbiased reason why CVT is bad ? I honestly don't know difference between CVT and normal automatic. From the thread I know you hate automatics but I really want you to be honest why CVT is bad.
Forums like team bhp have to say good about CVT, is it only because of fuel efficiency It offers over normal automatics ?

There is nothing wrong with it. For someone who has driven a lot on a manual transmission, it does feel a bit weird when you first drive it. Like driving a kinetic honda (That had a CVT if I remember correctly).

But is there a difference between normal automatic that is offered today in likes of i10 or i20 or brio and the CVT Offered on Nissan Micra CVT.

@raksrules
@whatsinaname
@rdst_1

Okay, you want to know CVT vs normal automatic.
Look, CVT stands for Continuously Variable Transmission.
And it does just that.
The transmission continuously varies the gear ratio. So in a sense, you have infinite gears.
But, you'd say, thats a good thing.
But then there is a catch.
The CVT is tuned for efficiency.
There is a particular RPM at which the engine produces its peak power. A particular RPM at which it produces its peak torque. And a particular RPM at which it gives the best fuel efficiency.
Now in India, the CVTs are designed to stay in the 3rd(fuel efficiency). So when you press the pedal, you get no surge of power, and essentially the gearbox also changes its ratio, and you go faster.
But then you do not have a control over the car, because you are essentially running at the same RPM for the whole life of your car.
And this also leads to what is called in the motoring parlance as the Rubberband effect.
When you press the pedal, the engine instead of giving you the power straight away, gives you power slight by slight, and you feel like a rubberband is being stretched, because the gear is altered like a 1000 times.

Conventional automatics, on the other hand, have normal gears, but instead of you changing them, you have a chip in the engine which changes them for you.
Now in an automatic, you can also manually override the chip and stay in a particular gear.
Imagine a scenario:
You want to climb a steep hill.
In a normal automatic, you just tell the damn chip to shut up, plonk the car in a gear, and drive off.
But in a CVT, you are at the mercy of the stupid CVT 'box.
So if it wants, you get the power, and if it doesnt, you just stand there, spinning your wheels.
And now to complicate matter further, say you are stuck behind a truck on a hill slope.
The truck suddenly brakes, and then so do you.
The CVT, being tuned for efficiency, doesnt want to give you loads of power, because it is tuned that way.(India's most fuel efficient automatic)
So you can, theoretically, fail to climb the slope.
However, things are not usually that catastrophic.
But then, I hope I have made it clear the Auto vs CVT.

Your normal Activa and Access is CVT, and honestly tell me, how exciting they are? Have you ever pressed the accelerator on those? You get the power a lot later than you want to. Its like you get it 2-3 seconds after twisting the throttle.
Thats pathetic.

Last edited:
Nissan micra/pulse have the worst rear seat design of any car i have sat in.I can't sit in it for 1 second at the back seat,horrible design.
CVT is nice for day to day city driving,but when you step on the gas ,you won't get that instant lighting response in engine RPM ,since the CVT which has a belt.
Due to the fact that the gear ratio is limitless in CVT the fuel economy will be higher then a manual gear box and also since the ECU is going to maintain the engine at its optimum efficiency so its only changing the gear ratio this again results in higher fuel economy.

More manufactures are shifting towards CVT transmission.

But another interesting automatic tech is the Automated Manual Transmission where the clutch pedals are missing,the transmission control unit engages the clutch automatically and if the need arises can also change the gears automatically.One of the first cars to have it in india is Maruti celerio.So now you can get acceleration like a manual with prices and maintenance not as high as a traditional auto.
Magneti Marell is said to be licensing it to other indian car makes so more cars will sport this tech.Do note a similar tech is also used in F1 cars.

The ffirst AMT vehicle in India was the TVS Jive. Remember? No clutch lever bike.

Maruti just lifted the idea from there. And nobody gives TVS credit for that. And people behave as if Maruti have done a miracle of some sort.

Never knew F1 cars use AMT. Celerio is enjoying the monopoly now for AMT. Hope other manufacturers also adopt it soon, may be start offering AMT versions in the existing cars. From whatever limited information I have gathered, it is not really difficult for manufacturers to put an AMT box in a car in which they were gonna put manual gearbox. But knowing how greedy they are, it won't happen until they see Celerio denting their sales.
And with Maruti, they have ridiculous 8-9 month waiting for AMT Version of cars. That is simply too much waiting for potential customers.

Seems like CVT is perfect for me. Saw that even the new Corolla comes with CVT. I always drive with a light foot these days so the rubber band effect should not be a problem for me. I never used to be worried about fuel averages but I looked at my spending and found that even after getting 17-18kmpl I spend around 8-10k a month on fuel. So even though I am not crazy about fuel averages I wouldn't mind the car being tuned as such.

Well, my friend, how many Nissan sunny Automatics do you see, and how many honda city automatics do you see?

There is a good reason for that.

Back