Why can't we get better internet with fast speeds and large data caps?

mgcarley said:
Believe me, I'm well aware of the situation in Kolkata. I get several requests DAILY asking when we'll be coming there. I'm sure it'll be a good place for us, but I also understand Kolkata is a relatively price sensitive market too, and we're... not.

The level of service we're providing comes with the slightly higher cost (but not exponentially more expensive as is the case with other providers) - we don't have any unlimited plans for 500 or even 1000, if you get my drift, but we also don't provide anything less than 5mbit/s (Rs1999 including tax), either. We do have data plans starting at Rs550 (infrastructure) + data at Rs10/GB. And wireless plans from 5-30GB per month at about 8mbit/s for between Rs299 and Rs649, so we still cover a lot of bases.
how much data can we expect at price band of rs 700 to 1000 ?? please mention the b/w... cldnt go through the entire thread,, it will b better if u post a approx tariff xcel.... it may look bit hastiness but a concrete xcel sheet would b better...

deep16 said:
how much data can we expect at price band of rs 700 to 1000 ?? please mention the b/w... cldnt go through the entire thread,, it will b better if u post a approx tariff xcel.... it may look bit hastiness but a concrete xcel sheet would b better...
In this price band, our flat-rate plans do not apply, but for the data plans it should be easy enough to work out. Take your target price, subtract Rs550. Divide the result by 10 (because it's Rs10/GB).

So Rs700 - 550 = 150. 150 / 10 = 15GB, or Rs1000 - 550 = 450. 450 / 10 = 45GB.

Conversely, you can work out the cost by taking 550 and adding Rs10 for the number of GBs you want - 100GB therefore is Rs1550: 550 + (100*10)

We don't have an excel spreadsheet for data plans, otherwise it would be 999 lines long, because we'd have to print the prices for everything from 1GB to 1000GB, and speed is up to 100mbit/s for data plans (irrespective of the amount of data purchased, delivered by fiber-optics to your home).

For Hayai Lite (our cheaper option, delivered by 802.16e, AKA Mobile Wimax @ 8mbit/s), the plans are:

5GB - 299

10GB - 349

20GB - 499

30GB - 649

Oh, and all prices include sales tax (10.3%). As for posting our tariff sheet, this will be done when we are launching and when the website goes properly live - but these prices are in the bag.

Wow, that is really a blank spot as far as our anticipated coverage is concerned, however, you might be in luck since it appears that it MIGHT be on a route that is on the way from Chennai up to Kolkata. I can't say when, but I can say we'll look at it - and if there is no competition, it's even better.

There goes my chance of having real broadband.

pranaywhiz said:
There goes my chance of having real broadband.
Not at all. If the demand is there, there's no reason we can't go there - especially if the town is on the way to somewhere else, as the town in question seems to be. Even better if it has a railway station, because that just makes getting bandwidth there easier.

mgcarley said:
In this price band, our flat-rate plans do not apply, but for the data plans it should be easy enough to work out. Take your target price, subtract Rs550. Divide the result by 10 (because it's Rs10/GB).

Conversely, you can work out the cost by taking 550 and adding Rs10 for the number of GBs you want - 100GB therefore is Rs1550: 550 + (100*10)

We don't have an excel spreadsheet for data plans, otherwise it would be 999 lines long, because we'd have to print the prices for everything from 1GB to 1000GB, and speed is up to 100mbit/s for data plans (irrespective of the amount of data purchased, delivered by fiber-optics to your home).

For Hayai Lite (our cheaper option, delivered by 802.16e, AKA Mobile Wimax @ 8mbit/s), the plans are:

5GB - 299

10GB - 349

20GB - 499

30GB - 649

Oh, and all prices include sales tax (10.3%). As for posting our tariff sheet, this will be done when we are launching and when the website goes properly live - but these prices are in the bag.
thats sweet... very sweet... and the probable cities u r first going to launch ?? 100 gB for 1550 is too good to b true at present condition... btw i m not very much convinced about wimax 802.16e as an evolved technology to provide quality bb wrt fiber.. though i think it will b lot cheaper than fiber i guess..

deep16 said:
thats sweet... very sweet... and the probable cities u r first going to launch ?? 100 gB for 1550 is too good to b true at present condition... btw i m not very much convinced about wimax 802.16e as an evolved technology to provide quality bb wrt fiber.. though i think it will b lot cheaper than fiber i guess..
Mumbai, Pune and NCR are already having infrastructure put in place. Other cities are coming as we're able to build (Chennai, Bangalore, Kolkata, Hyderabad, Ahmedabad etc) but also some smaller cities on the way are likely to be wired up as well - after all, we pay for domestic capacity by the KM, so might as well!

Our wireless product is aimed at a different market - ergo we're calling it "Hayai Lite" - we think the subscribers will include light users such as parents and grandparents, often those with NRI children - not really heavy downloaders and such. 802.16e proved fine in our tests - we had streaming video going in a Mumbai train.

If it's done properly and we don't try to cram 6,000 people on to a single basestation like some providers do, we should be OK (yes, that number is inflated) - our policy is that we should be able to get consistant speeds of 3mbit/s or more, otherwise we won't provide the user until there is another base station nearby, and some users may even receive as much as 30mbit/s, but as an average we're expecting around 8mbit/s.

mgcarley said:

5GB - 299
10GB - 349
20GB - 499
30GB - 649

Cool. :)
The Hayai Lite is for mobiles only or can be used at home too? Is it via a usb modem?
Also what is the download:upload ratio for the ftth plans? Is it 100Mbits down + 100Mbits up or 100 down and 10 up or even less?

Hades. said:
When Hayai is gonna launch in mumbai?
I don't know yet. Current delays are not in my control.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

6pack said:
Cool. :)

The Hayai Lite is for mobiles only or can be used at home too? Is it via a usb modem?

Also what is the download:upload ratio for the ftth plans? Is it 100Mbits down + 100Mbits up or 100 down and 10 up or even less?
We're selling it as a fixed wireless solution, although the technology supports handover if anyone is on the move.

These questions and more are answered at Hayai Broadband FAQs

Hades. said:
I was not expecting such type of answer from u...

What answer did you expect? Am I supposed to beat around the bush or use the usual support-query-answer that "a customer care representative will get back to you in 48 hours"?

Heh. I'm only giving you a straight answer, and my own customer care reps will be told to do the same if you ever need to call for support. The basic crux of the issue at the moment is that I am waiting for the MHA to confirm that I am not a threat to the national security of India.
Aman27deep said:
I hope you are able to keep your word about the 20ms pings from Kolkata to Delhi/Mumbai. I'd kill for that :)
Well... those pings have been demonstrated already (12ms Mumbai to Chennai), so... shouldn't be a huge problem.

Oh, and please don't kill for that... just... you know... purchase the service when it becomes available in your area :D

In other news, google is deploying ultra-fast broadband network for Kansas City with speeds of about 1 gigabit per second. That's is about 2thousand times faster than my 512kbps internet connection.

One might argue that this is fast even for Countries with better broadband. Okay, so here is a comparison of Current Average speeds in India vs Rest Of World

Source: Google Public Data Explorer

Two points to notice

1) The Speed gap of India vs Rest of the world is HUUUUGE! World Average download speed is about 10mbps vs India Speed of 1.5mbps.

2) If you notice India's graphs; it has been mostly linear indicating that there has little increase in broadband speeds over period of time(Sad :|). While World's Average Download speeds are increasing Year after Year, shown in the graph.

Clearly, India has lot of catch up be be in order to match world standards but sadly our Govt has is not doing anything:mad:

Gaurish said:
In other news, google is deploying ultra-fast broadband network for Kansas City with speeds of about 1 gigabit per second. That's is about 2thousand times faster than my 512kbps internet connection.

So are we, FI, HK, JP, PT, SE, SG and SK all have 1Gbit/s already...

Gaurish said:
One might argue that this is fast even for Countries with better broadband. Okay, so here is a comparison of Current Average speeds in India vs Rest Of World

Two points to notice

1) The Speed gap of India vs Rest of the world is HUUUUGE! World Average download speed is about 10mbps vs India Speed of 1.5mbps.

2) If you notice India's graphs; it has been mostly linear indicating that there has little increase in broadband speeds over period of time(Sad :|). While World's Average Download speeds are increasing Year after Year, shown in the graph.

Clearly, India has lot of catch up be be in order to match world standards but sadly our Govt has is not doing anything:mad:
1. One also has to realize that India is really roughly on-par with many of the countries in it's class - that is, Developing & BRIC countries. Naturally though, for India's economy to grow, a better telecommunications infrastructure and better internet is rather vital IMO.

2. Granted, but much of this has to do with the aforementioned countries increasing speeds dramatically, plus conservative, yet significant advances in Europe (where speed is increased less quickly but increases fairly consistently).

and 3... the Indian government HAS A PLAN!!! WOOHOOOOO!!! They have a plan!!! YEEEEEY!!! Celebrate everyone!!! (yes, I'm being sarcastic, but strictly based on the way that government plans turn out - not just in India, but elsewhere too... the NZ government's broadband plan has turned from a good idea in to a shadow of it's former self).

India's Broadband plan is behind by atleast 10 years due to ignorant babus @ TRAI & absolute zero concern or knowledge of our brilliant politicians.... :(

Just for your info, some great plans Airtel already offers

4 Mbps Unlimited 1799+ taxes

FUP 50gb

post 256 Kbps

4 Mbps Unlimited 1399+ taxes

FUP 25 gb

post 256 kbps

2 Mbps Unlimited 1699+ taxes

FUP 40gb

post 256 kbps

2 Mbps Unlimited 1299+ taxes

FUP 20 gb

post 256 kbps

8 Mbps @ 2999+ taxes 50 gb cap

16 mbps @ 4999+ taxes 100 gb cap

At least t he 4 Mbps plans are awesome and the 2 Mbps plans are decent.

No other biy ISP in India compares to these Airtel plans. Tata, Photo, Reliance etc all cost much more, even MTNL I guess for that matter.

And 4 Mbps unlimited for 1799+ taxes so like 2100 bucks total each month isn't bad. Most people don't need more than 600 GB A YEAR anyway, so it isn't that much of a problem! And if you really have that kind of a problem, you can always switch to another 50 gb pack by paying another 1799+ taxes a month, OR better still opt for 16mbps for like 6k a month.

and taxes etc charges are like 20%+ with airtel

Back