Why can't we get better internet with fast speeds and large data caps?

Gaurish

ex-Mod
Hello Everyone, this is a rant against pity state of broadband in India. Please skip, if you are not in the mood:

<rant>

I live in Major City of India which is a State capital but yet I am unable to get good internet.Don't know how people living rural areas or smaller towns are coping with this. In my area its only one provider that can give me service and from past 3years I am subscribed to BSNL Broadband's Home 750 unlimited plan @ 512kbps.

Although, Its called Broadband but the fact is its NOT. Because, even today's age of HD hype -- you can't stream normal standard definition video without buffering. what means the connection is no good. further, Even i am ready to shell out more money for speedy connection. all I get is more shitter plans with fall back to paltry 256kbps after burning few gigs of bandwidth. which is insane's slow:mad:

And before you declare me as pirate, tell me inform that my monthly usage is about 20-40Gigs a month, out of which most is online video,some torrents etc.

And if you look at Internet Bandwidth caps,Speeds & prices over past years., you might notice that nothing much has changed, whereas we do need drastic improvement. Meanwhile, the telecom industry has invented new policy designed to mislead & fool consumers in thinking that they have unlimited connections, but in reality its so wrong. so the sitution instead of improving has gotten worse! :no:

3G was supposed to solve this problem but looking at the tariff and signal reception issues. I am sure Wireless is not the solution. 3G is only good for mobile devices like Tablets,laptops etc

Oh Come on India, in the age of cloud computing,video streaming services you give me broadband connections with 1gig monthly quota, WTF! its like living in dark ages and while rest of the world marching fast on digital revolution!

<rant>

Seriously, Why can't we get better internet with fast speeds and large data caps? I have lost all hopes that situation is ever gonna improve & came to conclusion that if somebody needs good internet, they can even migrate to Pakistan. they have more cheaper and faster internet than India

And this is a sad & pityful sate of Internet connectivy in India

We all feel more or less the same way. Unfortunately, nothing much can be done. Apart from MTNL and BSNL, the available options are less for smaller parts of the country. Metros have more options like local cable net and a bunch of private players, out of which some of the local cable connections, like Fivenet for example in Mumbai, provide reasonable plans.

Innovative competitors like the concept Hayai was based on, would do a lot of good to the current situation if and when they become available. Let's hope for the best and I've a feeling its gonna get a lot better in the coming years, maybe becoming on par with Western countries.

We can only hope and do nothing.....:(
For me 8Mbps with 200GB FUP(after that 256kbps UL) for Rs.500/- monthly would be enough.....;)

I say its abt the govt alone.

First. Only they can enforce some sort of stds. Remember the 2Mbps revolution?. We were all so happy, we praised TRAI. or someone.

Second. Look at the 3G Auction itself. The amount of money involved. The companies are here to make money. Lot of them. Even if there wasnt much of capital

for them they would have looted us. Now when they are paying this much money it comes as no surprise. They need to make that money back and lot of profit before the next one comes. 4G or 5G. And yea i beleive they will come like in 10 years or so also. Coz nowadays we being the service industry and all, certain things we cant just ignore for too long.

they shud atleast provide 4 mbps for 1500 bucks a month with a cap of 200 GB.and the reduced speed must be atleast 512kbps or 1mbps

I worked with ISP in past .

from my experience ,both ISP & customer dig each other either way . People still want cheap package , ok with it but ISP itself doesn't suggest or try to give more b/w . I saw almost 70 % customers happy or not even using their all monthly data caps ( say 2 GB or 5 GB ) .

Govt policies , city municipal authorities or other permission to lay cable also make miserable for upgrade hardware . Local cable ISP can provide cheap solution but they can't come out from their rival cable cut tactics & etc otherwise they have largest cable connectivity .

wireless connectivity here to stay but no company want to believe that cheap & without FUP packages can achieve them lots of customers & make them profit .I saw customers who were asked to upgrade after their FUP limits crossed & they did happily paid resulting ISP is b!tch king in this .

Company shamelessly give their packages under less speed than minimum speed with "conditions apply / or as per TRAI rules speed is this " .

neither customer or govt do anything to improve it . it's like whole citizens with their rulers are blind & if some oppose to it they will blindfolded with FUP & wht not .

Possibly another rant.

There was a show by some business channel two years back where the hosts took out a huge online petition for TRAI and the Government to implement new laws regarding Internet speeds and plans. I guess it all went down the drain. I stick to MTNL for the sole reason that those government buffoons don't know too much and are unlikely to implement any FUPs or limited bandwidth packages.

The point is what someone mentioned above, the money these ISPs are paying to the government to maintain their services. That money has to be reco0llected somehow and the customer is who suffers.

A possible solution is for the ISPs to implement data caps at reasonable levels. For example, 4mbps till 200GB for say, IRN 700/month, and after that they can throttle it down to 512kbps. Its possible, but will the ISPs actually do that?

Though a justified thread, I want to go back even one step. We need connections which do not break down. My connectivity is so sh$$, that I keep a USB net connection as a back up. But it is hardly that 3.1 mbps. :) Honestly decent internet (uptime+speed+data limits) are just a dream for me. We may blame the government but the ISPs are not far behind. Its just a cash cow being milked. Policies are in place but there is hardly enforcement. No one (but us) understand how serious an issue this is -- and how it aids in the development of a nation.

And honestly the amount I pay for internet per month, I do not mind it. But we should get what is advertised and promised when we sign up for the contract. It is sad and disheartening to hear a 'shrug' from a CC officer when even they do not know what the **** is going on. Then it is wait and hope and pray.

We can expect better competition once Hayai broadband starts its operation in india and mostly it will start in 2011 itself with mumbai launch first and other metros near the end of the year.

^ it was 2010 first wasn't it? now its 2011?

Even i am ready to shell out more money for speedy connection.

@gaurish, you can subscribe to those costly ftth plans from bsnl - the 2MB UL one for 3k or something since you are willing to pay more. There's no fup in that and you can watch videos to your heart's content.

6pack said:
^ it was 2010 first wasn't it? now its 2011?

The infrastructure is in place now and it will be launched soon.

@gaurish, you can subscribe to those costly ftth plans from bsnl - the 2MB UL one for 3k or something since you are willing to pay more. There's no fup in that and you can watch videos to your heart's content.

Its 1500 activation charge+ 2000 security deposit+ 4k/month for 2mbps BSNL FTTH.

Instead of of ranting more, I have thought more about this and I propose(Its propose day today:p) just two things as a Solution:

1) Local loop unbundling(LLU): Govt can open up BSNL's copper loops for private participation, by copper loops I mean from subscriber home to nearest exchange. This step alone would increase broadband penetration and market competition as more private plavers would be able to enter the market and set price wars. Infact make it a regulation, so if anybody is laying any Optic Fibre(or other cable), it should be unbundled. This is needed because you can't expect each provider to dig up road and lay cables -- that's waste of resources. Further, Local loop unbundling(LLU) we known process that has been implemented worldwide - quote similar to MNP

2) Get Rid of NIXI peering exchange: It still charges ISP Rs25 for each GB of incoming bandwidth which is bloody expensive to a extend ISP prefer to use International Bandwidth which is charged in (essentially speaking) by the Mbit/s.so It is like paying ISD rates for all calls:no: If local peering is correctly done, all traffic within India can be be almost FREE. It means it would brings cost of broadband monthly subscriptions down drastically.

If the above 2 points are implemented, our state of broadband would be improved 10fold. But I am not sure how can I common internet savvy citizen like me can get Govt to implement this.

6pack said:

I tried that as well, but it turns out those plans need a fiber laid out directly to your home, so its not technically feasible for single connection. BSNL is only doing it for apartments & office buildings

And that's is why, it pisses me off. That even when, I am ready to pay more money - I can't get better internet with fast speeds and large data caps. Talk about india being a IT superpower and I am gonna do very bad things to you:mad:

things can change only if common people like us take up politics. i mean become a chela/ secretary or something close to the IT minister and put ideas into his head that we need to do some major work in this dept.

RS4 said:
We can expect better competition once Hayai broadband starts its operation in india and mostly it will start in 2011 itself with mumbai launch first and other metros near the end of the year.
Well founder of Hayai broadband is on another forum and according to him service will be started in Noida first then Delhi and then in other cities....He also told that rates will be like Rs.10/GB.....

RS4 said:
The infrastructure is in place now and it will be launched soon.

Buddy, dont be too optimistic about hayai. All the hype that was created has settled down now and i dont see any ray of hope in near future of this service launching. These guys (or specifically he Mcgarley) did mention that infrastructure is in place but that is going on for last 1+ year and hayai is still to see the light of day.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Punker said:
Well founder of Hayai broadband is on another forum and according to him service will be started in Noida first then Delhi and then in other cities....He also told that rates will be like Rs.10/GB.....
Really ?? :O

He always told Mumbai will be first

We should have a bare minimum of 2mbps a month unlimited plans. Speed coupled with fup, crap service and frequent disconnections is really annoying and shouldn't be happening in freaking 2011.

Guys refer this thread Hayai Broadband Launch in India...Guy is explaining each and everything and according to him they won't be launching 512 kbps or 256 kbps plans and Rs.700(including tax) for 30GB (Hayai lite packs).....

viewer

Ahmedabad is quite high on the list already. It's also favourable because there is little competition there.

At the moment Delhi is beginning to be implemented - the finer details of the infrastructure are being worked out already, so it's a good chance that Mumbai and Delhi (well... Noida I think is where it's going to start first) will launch simultaneously (but shhhhhhhh, that information hasn't even come up on the fortnightly conference call yet).

And I'm also happy to say that our wholesale pricing will fall - new retail prices will be released when we're ready but I can say almost certainly that we've hit our goal of Rs10/GB including tax, so if you use 100GB @ 100mbit/s, your bill should be around Rs1500-1600 inc tax (whether you're on post-pay or pre-pay).

This also means that our "guidelines" for the flat-rate plans will change - prices will probably remain the same but instead of recommending about 150GB for 2499 it'll probably be closer to 250GB - or the price might fall to Rs1999 and the amount would be 200GB or so. Keep in mind this isn't a fair-usage policy, this would simply be our recommendation for which flat-rate plan you should choose, based upon the usage you estimate for us. Of course you can use more, but to do so consistantly would probably prompt us to give you a call and suggest that you change to a higher-speed plan (our Fair Usage Policy will continue to remain something like this: 2degrees - fairusepolicy)

Source - http://broadbandforum.in/hayai-broadband/50998-hayai-broadband-pricing/139/

hayai bb looks like vaporware to me still now. i know that guy mc garley did answer a lot of questions here and on another broadband forum, but it hasn't yet taken off after all this hype. i'll believe all that hype when i see ads in the newspapers or see hayai start their services in reality.

6pack said:
things can change only if common people like us take up politics. i mean become a chela/ secretary or something close to the IT minister and put ideas into his head that we need to do some major work in this dept.

thats not gonna do any good
the next question he will ask will be "isme mera kya fayda??"

Back