Why can't we get better internet with fast speeds and large data caps?

rite said:
Just for your info, some great plans Airtel already offers

4 Mbps Unlimited 1799+ taxes
FUP 50gb
post 256 Kbps

4 Mbps Unlimited 1399+ taxes
FUP 25 gb
post 256 kbps

2 Mbps Unlimited 1699+ taxes
FUP 40gb
post 256 kbps

2 Mbps Unlimited 1299+ taxes
FUP 20 gb
post 256 kbps

8 Mbps @ 2999+ taxes 50 gb cap

16 mbps @ 4999+ taxes 100 gb cap

At least t he 4 Mbps plans are awesome and the 2 Mbps plans are decent.

No other biy ISP in India compares to these Airtel plans. Tata, Photo, Reliance etc all cost much more, even MTNL I guess for that matter.

And 4 Mbps unlimited for 1799+ taxes so like 2100 bucks total each month isn't bad. Most people don't need more than 600 GB A YEAR anyway, so it isn't that much of a problem! And if you really have that kind of a problem, you can always switch to another 50 gb pack by paying another 1799+ taxes a month, OR better still opt for 16mbps for like 6k a month.

and taxes etc charges are like 20%+ with airtel
if i dont download anything and no youtube my daily interent comsumption is approx 500mb incusling upload and download which makes it 15gb or so minimum, so i diagree with caps provided by airtel plan are fine speed is fine but caps of 25 and 50 gb is way low

@mgcarley - How come this solution will become a national threat to India, as already we have similar solution from tikona.. For arguement sake, all mobile internet falls under the same radar.

Most isp's just promise and won't deliver much.. We need a good wireless connectivity with decent speed and decent package.

mgcarley said:
1. One also has to realize that India is really roughly on-par with many of the countries in it's class - that is, Developing & BRIC countries.

NO.That's not true. Even, Pakistan have more cheaper and faster internet than India with no Fcuk u policy(FUP)

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

rite said:
<snip>
No other biy ISP in India compares to these Airtel plans. Tata, Photo, Reliance etc all cost much more, even MTNL I guess for that matter.

And 4 Mbps unlimited for 1799+ taxes so like 2100 bucks total each month isn't bad. Most people don't need more than 600 GB A YEAR anyway, so it isn't that much of a problem! And if you really have that kind of a problem, you can always switch to another 50 gb pack by paying another 1799+ taxes a month, OR better still opt for 16mbps for like 6k a month.

Rite, check the plans available in Other countries and compare it. Then you will notice how shitty the airtel is. Its pathetic

Wrong.

Hardly any person uses more than 20 MB an hour which too is a really really exagerated figure, it is more like <10 MB an hour because you aren't changing pages without a break. Even if you browse continuously for 5 hours a day (even if you do 10, half the time you are just idle anyway), it is like 100 MB a day or 3 GB a month. This too is a really far fetched figure.

Browsing/Emails/Chat etc Max 3 GB per month

Small downloads like software updates etc Max to max 1-5 GB per month

Music 1-5 GB per month

Youtube 1-10 GB per month

Total all inclusive without downloads is like 6-23 GB per month depending on what you do. And these are really exagerated figures. Most people won't cross even 5 GB leave alone 10 GB, 20+ GB is more like imagination.

If you only download WHAT YOU REALLY NEED TO DO:

That will be like 20-30 games a year, so like 200 GB / YEAR or around < 20 GB a month

Miscellaneous a few GB

So a 50 GB plan is perfect if you don't misuse the internet (which most of us do, btw :p)

But 8-10 out of 12 months, if you use the internet properly, you can enjoy 4 Mbps with a 50 GB FUP.

And ya, countries like USA are at least 2-3 times as good as this stuff or sometimes even 5+ times.

But, 3G in USA is like $2-10 / MB whereas Airtel 3G is like at most 35p per MB on the Rs.750 pm plan!

NOTE

I am not saying that internet in India is up to the mark.

IMO IDEALLY IT SHOULD BE:

4-8 Mbps / no FUP / Rs.999 all inc INSTEAD OF 4 Mbps / 50 GB / Rs.1799 + taxes

But in the next 5(take or give 1-2 years max) I guess we should reach a similar stage as we want.

Just let 4G come, things just may change :p

rite said:
Wrong.

Hardly any person uses more than 20 MB an hour which too is a really really exagerated figure, it is more like <10 MB an hour because you aren't changing pages without a break. Even if you browse continuously for 5 hours a day (even if you do 10, half the time you are just idle anyway), it is like 100 MB a day or 3 GB a month. This too is a really far fetched figure.

Browsing/Emails/Chat etc Max 3 GB per month
Small downloads like software updates etc Max to max 1-5 GB per month
Music 1-5 GB per month
Youtube 1-10 GB per month

Total all inclusive without downloads is like 6-23 GB per month depending on what you do. And these are really exagerated figures. Most people won't cross even 5 GB leave alone 10 GB, 20+ GB is more like imagination.

If you only download WHAT YOU REALLY NEED TO DO:

That will be like 20-30 games a year, so like 200 GB / YEAR or around < 20 GB a month

Miscellaneous a few GB

So a 50 GB plan is perfect if you don't misuse the internet (which most of us do, btw :p)

But 8-10 out of 12 months, if you use the internet properly, you can enjoy 4 Mbps with a 50 GB FUP.

And ya, countries like USA are at least 2-3 times as good as this stuff or sometimes even 5+ times.

But, 3G in USA is like $2-10 / MB whereas Airtel 3G is like at most 35p per MB on the Rs.750 pm plan!
NOTE

I am not saying that internet in India is up to the mark.
IMO IDEALLY IT SHOULD BE:

4-8 Mbps / no FUP / Rs.999 all inc INSTEAD OF 4 Mbps / 50 GB / Rs.1799 + taxes
But in the next 5(take or give 1-2 years max) I guess we should reach a similar stage as we want.
Just let 4G come, things just may change :p
20mb an hour lol good keep it up looks u dont need even 14gb so enjoy disgusting fup connection. dont talk abt utube because u can end up ur fup limit in 2 days using fup if u watch high def videos

rite said:
Wrong.

Hardly any person uses more than 20 MB an hour which too is a really really exagerated figure,

Are you kidding me? Today times a single website is worth 4-5MB. Plus, have you ever heard about Cloud computing, HD Video Streaming?

The thing is there are countless advantages of fast speeds with large data caps but since Indians never saw speeds like 1Gbps. We all think that 20mb is enough and nobody needs more than 10GB per month. Truth is, We are in Dark ages:|

HailStonE said:
India's Broadband plan is behind by atleast 10 years due to ignorant babus @ TRAI & absolute zero concern or knowledge of our brilliant politicians.... :(

Not necessarily. Some of them are on to it, but there are many, many obstacles in the way which are preventing a lot of the good stuff which needs to happen from getting through.
rite said:

FUP 50gb
post 256 Kbps

FUP 25 gb
post 256 kbps

FUP 40gb
post 256 kbps

FUP 20 gb
post 256 kbps

Perhaps, but there are many people who are not OK with these plans, and what seems to be annoying customers most is lack of choice to actually purchase more data and so forth. I would also put it to you that for what it is, these plans are actually quite expensive.

My suggestion to Airtel (and everyone else with FUP plans, for that matter) is this: remove the speed limits completely. Charge an amount based on the FUP and leave it up to the network conditions/wiring/etc to decide how fast the user will be able to download stuff, because these plans are, frankly, quite annoying and somewhat confusing to most people.

Why can't I just buy like 20GB @ X ... 50GB @ Y ... 200GB @ Z with no speed restrictions and be done with it? Then there's less worrying about "minimum speeds as prescribed by the TRAI" as well.
delguy19 said:
if i dont download anything and no youtube my daily interent comsumption is approx 500mb incusling upload and download which makes it 15gb or so minimum, so i diagree with caps provided by airtel plan are fine speed is fine but caps of 25 and 50 gb is way low

Wow... my laptop is online 24/7 and without any downloads it would use between 3 and 5GB per month, and I'm a heavy browser/emailer/twitterer/etc. Are you sure you're not part of a botnet or something?

Also, agree that 25/50GB are too low for those prices.
sbhas2k said:
@mgcarley - How come this solution will become a national threat to India, as already we have similar solution from tikona.. For arguement sake, all mobile internet falls under the same radar.

It's not that my solution will cause a national threat to India - it's that I'm a firangi planning to operate a company in a restricted sector. We're building an FTTH network (how else are we supposed to deliver up to 1Gbit/s?).

sbhas2k said:
Most isp's just promise and won't deliver much.. We need a good wireless connectivity with decent speed and decent package.

Wireless for us is a secondary option for light users only. Also, wireless is (generally speaking) crap. It just is. I would never provide an "unlimited" package on wireless. That's just asking for trouble. (Wireless is not good for sustained transfer rates, it's too volatile as a connection medium).
Gaurish said:
NO.That's not true. Even, Pakistan have more cheaper and faster internet than India with no Fcuk u policy(FUP)

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Rite, check the plans available in Other countries and compare it. Then you will notice how shitty the airtel is. Its pathetic
I am well aware of what Pakistan has, but what they actually get is a completely different story - their average speed of access isn't much higher than India. I'm also well aware of what Airtel is offering. I quite often use them as a yardstick for "what not to do". I'm also well aware of what ISPs in many other countries on pretty much every continent are offering. I consider it my job to know these things.

Which is why maybe you need to get down to the nitty-gritty economics: while the forex rates put Pakistan's Internet costs as being cheaper than India, you also have to take in to account that their buying power per capita is less, so INR for PKR, it works out quite similar as a percentage of a household's monthly income, and all 3 countries average between 1 and 1.5mbit/s as average access speeds according to the statistics from organizations such as Akamai. That is why I consider Pakistan, India and even China to be roughly in the same class.

I was even planning on setting Hayai up in Pakistan for a short while (but then that would cause problems with operating in India, so it's on hold), because Pakistan has (believe it or not) a friendlier environment for operating a company (they're about 75 places above India in world bank rankings) and better regulations for telcos (including LLU!)

rite said:

FUP 50gb

post 256 Kbps

FUP 25 gb

post 256 kbps

FUP 40gb

post 256 kbps

FUP 20 gb

post 256 kbps

So these are Great plans? huh??:mad:

What about these from Reliance? Well i am not a advertiser here. :mad:

rdfFU.jpg

MTNL (Mumbai) today launched “MTNL FUNDAY” for its Triband, Broadband customers. With its new offer MTNL will make Sunday, a Funday by offering download speeds of 2 Mbps, without and additional charges, on every Sunday to its customers who are on unlimited plans.

Furthermore, MTNL is doubling the upload speed from 256 kbps to 512 kbps without any charges for a period of 3 months.

MTNL (Mumbai) introduces MTNL FUNDAY - Download Speed of 2 Mbps on every Sunday

vikkymath said:
So these are Great plans? huh??:mad:

What about these from Reliance? Well i am not a advertiser here. :mad:

rdfFU.jpg

not sure about one advantage reliance has :S

it has a DC++ hub on the non-ADSL broadband connections.(read it on some forums and here on TE old threads)

so if that is the case your hunger for data downloads should be quenched.

and no other private ISP (pan india) is giving true unlimited internet connections.

again i am judging this from the feedbacks from reading on some forums.

ggt said:
not sure about one advantage reliance has :S
it has a DC++ hub on the non-ADSL broadband connections.(read it on some forums and here on TE old threads)
so if that is the case your hunger for data downloads should be quenched.
and no other private ISP (pan india) is giving true unlimited internet connections.
again i am judging this from the feedbacks from reading on some forums.
infact relaince is not available everywhere not even in good areas at all as far as ncr is concern

Back