Graphic Cards why graphic card prices are high in india??

eatpepsi

Disciple
I dont know why graphic cards cost very very high in india ::mad: .xfx 8800gtx costs 46 k in india its too high .Why prices r like that???When will India change??

Partly Customs duty and majorly greed of the vendors contribute to a maximum extent. They make huge margins on graphics cards. Say a 8800GTX costs $600 in US. About 27,000 in India, add 30% as customs duties, takes the price to 35k. Thier margin is 10k taking the price to 45k. So for very 10 pieces of 8800GTX they sell, they are making about 1 Lac as their margin.

lord_nemesis said:
Partly Customs duty and majorly greed of the vendors contribute to a maximum extent. They make huge margins on graphics cards. Say a 8800GTX costs $600 in US. About 27,000 in India, add 30% as customs duties, takes the price to 35k. Thier margin is 10k taking the price to 45k. So for very 10 pieces of 8800GTX they sell, they are making about 1 Lac as their margin.
When do they change??

Another reason could be the lack of demand. How many people in India do you think buy a 8800GTX? You could probably remember the name of half the people who do buy them. In USA, the situation is obviously way different...

You can get XFX 8800 GTX for about 38K all inclusive.

The 46K or so on Indian Ebay is a huge ripoff.

Buy directly from the distributor. In this case Rashi. If you need address/ph number then post your city and I'm sure either me or someone else will post the Rashi office address/ph number in your city.

lord_nemesis said:
Customs duty is not 30 percent- i think it is much less also US is not the country of origin for Video Cards, they all r manufactured in China- i bet if 8800 GTX is selling in USA for 27k- that figure includes some US customs duty plus a fair margin for the dealer, also it is for sure that manufacturers billing for 8800 GTX is not more than 18k, add indian customs duty at about 25 percent- plus a fair margin 25 percent including service plus 4 percent VAT- it should sell in India for 30k. But of course likes of XFX, RP Tech all conspire to fxxck us.

whatever it is , until these cards start getting manufactured here , i dont think the prices will be anywhere as close to the US prices

:) Actually it is customs plus a lack of demand....what then explains the fact that most of the cpus are available in India at close to US prices....
Actually the great Indian govt considers graphics cards as an entertainment device and not part of a pc ....so they have additional duties...also say it had a modest price of 25k:) how many people inIndia would spend 25k for a gpu? most people here (it is a large most around 90% of pc buyers) would want an entire pc in that range....since demand is so limited they try to fleece us...after all it does not make sense for rashi to import 3 gpus and then sell it at a 10% per cent margin :p ..
Another point most of us would be quoting only specific prices from say newegg...please try to understand that newegg is not all usa price...most places in USA would be retailing at higher prices than that.....we should not be expecting our prices to match a particular website...

eatpepsi said:
I dont know why graphic cards cost very very high in india ::mad: .xfx 8800gtx costs 46 k in india its too high .Why prices r like that???When will India change??

Demand mate...1 word. Its all economics. When 100 people are gonna buy something, you export 200 pieces of it...right? well for our market they export 110 (10% more as stats show)

Now the same goes here. So the fewer pieces will bear all the costs of transport involved...I'm talking customs, greasing our lousy officials pockets..the whole 9 yards so to speak :p

Whereas in case of the Core 2 Duo, Intel's sold close to what...like 100 times that amount...right?

Also a GPU is as raj pointed out somewhat of a luxury item (like a HD ready monitor like your 244T, 2407WFP etc.) So you pay more duty.

There's something of an paradox...buy more of a costly thing at its current to make its price fall...

Now do us all a favor and buy one 8800gtx, or more...All us TE boys will rep ya :eek:hyeah: (no offense meant dude...kiddin)

eatpepsi said:

From what I know there's extra tax to import PCB based electronics-something like 30% more.

Lord Nemesis said:

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

this question has been passing on for many years. but yaar accept it and get along.cheat the evil...............:hap2: :hap2: :hap2: :hap2: :hap2:

^^^ so much so for the Government's promoting of computer parts and India has one of the costliest computer hardware in the world....they shud implement duties on breathing as well...buggers

F.Y.I. the customs duty in India for computer hardware is 21.653%
(again, for some components like storage devices it is 17%)

Also, if you import into Mumbai, then an additional 5.5% octroi
Oh yeah don't forget our dear Service Tax and Education Cess @ 12.25 % on the duty and octroi. Then comes the famous VAT @ 4%

Back