Why I'm in a tough spot in buying a phone

comp@ddict

Skilled
First of all, I started a new thread and decided not to continue my old thread because I really need to write a lot in this post, voice my concerns and explain why it's been soo hard for me to buy a phone till now.

I bought my desktop in September 2009. Months after the Athlon II X4 (quad-core) release, and the release month of AMD's formidable HD5800 series graphics card. Desktop hardware quickly gets outdated. Yet even today, July 2012 my desktop remains something formidable. It packs a quad-core, a DX11 class graphics card which can still max out most games and that too at a Full HD resolution. Now you see how future-proof my RIG really looked when I originally bought it? And how much I pat myself for making such a good buying decision.

Down 3 years and I have been researching and researching for that perfect phone to buy. And I will go over some phones:

1. Google Nexus S (13-14k)

Perhaps the best phone according to me in the under-15k budget, this phone got it all. A nice price tag, official Android 4.1 Jelly Bean and a HUGE community support. I would have bought it already had it not been for the other reasons.

2. Google Galaxy Nexus (20-25k)

Perhaps the best phone to buy at all, this phone takes the got-it-all of Nexus and adds more to that too. The price tag is tad high, but hardly too much considering how good the phone is. The only sad part is that a phone of this cost should have warranty too. It's simply a big risk having a 20k+ phone which might go kaput followed by your brains frying.

3. Windows Phone 8 (?? k)

Nokia is hosting Nokia World from September 5. It is rumored that Nokia will announce 2 WP8 phone on September 5, followed by a global launch on September 7. If that is the case, I simply cannot bring myself to buy another phone if WP8 phones are soo close. I have become a fan ever since I saw Microsoft's WP8 keynote, and I have been dying to buy it. Sadly it cannot launch soon enough. WP8 is something I want. And if it indeed launches in the next 2 months, I would not be able to bring myself to it not waiting enough to buy it. I have an Android device, and it's not as appealing as Windows Phone honestly.

4. Why not other DROIDS?

Xperia Sola - A 18.5k phone which hasn't received its ICS upgrade yet. Add to that nearly ZERO community support. I'm sorry but I simply DON'T see a future in this phone. None at all. Same goes for the Galaxy Ace 2 and the Samsung Galaxy S Advance. It seems the Novathor U8500 chipset based phones are somewhat doomed.

LG Optimus 2X - There was a deal for 14.6k on the LG O2X today. I was really tempted to buy this phone. I probably would have bought it. BUT! I checked really hard on whether this phone is worth it. A phone with no ICS, some ICS ports, no future of Jelly Bean port and terrible support from nVidia in the form of Tegra 2 drivers. This phone would be outdated the moment I buy it. And I refuse to do that.

Karbonn Smart A24 - A much promised phone. To have nearly everything. A big and good display, dual core and Android 4.1 Jelly Bean, launching next month. Almost too good to be true. I HAVE to wait and see what happens with this phone, or if it's some flop.

Conclusion

Believe me, I have no intention of waiting. Especially till the end of the year. But the next 2 months seem so exciting and jam-packed, that my curious side simply refuses to let me do anything else. Coin in your opinions. Add phones you believe can make it to the TO-BE-CONSIDERED list or some recent launches which YOU FEEL don't deserve to be considered.

Just noticed a few things that are different between sola and arc s

1) sola has 3.7" screen size arc s has 4.2"size
2) Sola has 1 ghz processor arc s has 1.4ghz processor,
3) sola has 2.3 gingerbread, arc s has 4.0.4 ICS.
4) sola is 5MP camera arc S is 8MP camera.
5) Sola has 1320 MAH battery arc s has 1500MAH battery.
6) sola is priced at 14.5K @ chiragthakur arc s is priced at 16.5k

2) 1 Ghz dual core :D

3) Getting ICS and Jelly Bean upgrade in it's lifetime.

5) Efficient Novathor U8500 chipset :D

Just noticed a few things that are different between sola and arc s

1) sola has 3.7" screen size arc s has 4.2"size
2) Sola has 1 ghz processor arc s has 1.4ghz processor,
3) sola has 2.3 gingerbread, arc s has 4.0.4 ICS.
4) sola is 5MP camera arc S is 8MP camera.
5) Sola has 1320 MAH battery arc s has 1500MAH battery.
6) sola is priced at 14.5K @ chiragthakur arc s is priced at 16.5k

Sola has dual core processor compared to single core plus the ICS for 2011 models is way to buggy as compared to gingerbread. Add to that the novathor soc is very efficient and even with 1305mah energy it works as good as 1500mah counterpart,

comp@ddict, we expect a nice review with photos of sola from you when you receive your phone and have used it a bit :)

Due to a mix up, it has reached my house in Hyderabad and I'm at Manipal (Forgot address was saved, stupid me).

Gotta wait a few days for it to reach me (Mom shipping to me!!! And dad is like, Blue Dart might lose it and insurance is 1000 bucks bla bla. What to do?)

Due to a mix up, it has reached my house in Hyderabad and I'm at Manipal (Forgot address was saved, stupid me).

Gotta wait a few days for it to reach me (Mom shipping to me!!! And dad is like, Blue Dart might lose it and insurance is 1000 bucks bla bla. What to do?)
Better to ship with insurance(if you want to ship it), your dad is right, even if they don't loose but heard from some employee of BlueDart that their are incidents where it has happened to disappear the phones when not insured. so better safe than sorry (you can assume that you didn't get the ebay discount :( ) or else better wait for someone who is coming personally from Hyd to Manipal who brings to you in person :)

Better to ship with insurance(if you want to ship it), your dad is right, even if they don't loose but heard from some employee of BlueDart that their are incidents where it has happened to disappear the phones when not insured. so better safe than sorry (you can assume that you didn't get the ebay discount :( ) or else better wait for someone who is coming personally from Hyd to Manipal who brings to you in person :)

OMG Blue Dart isn't reliable? Is there any other company then? Yes, the ebay discount is pretty much invalid now.

@comp@ddict, I'm not saying Blue Dart isn't reliable but said that their employee has said that there has been incidents when there was no insurance and then the packet was simply gone, I don't know how they reimbursed it, but this was practically narrated to me by their employee who is close to me. Just my 0.02$ on the topic

Last edited by a moderator:
Try overnite couriers. They charge 2% of the declared value as insurance charge and the rest is just the usual shipping charges. Total will be 500 max in your case. Have personally shipped an iPhone with insurance for declared value of Rs.45000 for a total of Rs.1100 from Chandigarh to Chennai.

Yes, overnite is good, they even pack in tamper proof packing and give you the docket no. which you need to give the receiver and he needs to check the same while taking the delivery. if the seal is broken simply don't take the delivery and then the insurance can be claimed, @randomuser111 is right about the rates

Last edited by a moderator:
I too wanted to buy the perfect phone, i searched for three whole months, saw thousands of reviews, saw comparisons, knew about each and every android phone in the market and then my search was over when i saw the
MOTOROLA ATRIX 4G!!! I am still so happy with the phone. It is the best phone i could have bought under 20k but now you have many more phones to look. I hope you find the perfect phone like i found mine.
Good Luck for that and i still dont understand why they didnt put a card slot in the nexus phone and why is the nexus prime not a prime phone with stunning features and specs , after all that phone was launched to change the world of DROIDZZZZZZZ!!!

My laptop's HDD is fried. Thank god I had backed up most of the data. Phew..

Using friend's laptop. What's the best client for browsing forums? Tapatalk is paid app. Convo doesn't work!

you will get XDA in market for XDA forum, regarding other, you will get tapatalk paid app over any sharing website .... just do search

Back