Why our country will never succeed

^^ So, you expect everything and anything to be available on the net?
<

What do you expect? That the persons who abuse the provisions will come up to that forum and post details of their abuses?
<

You really need to understand that there is a world beyond search engines and the internet.

What you expect essentially is akin to me going to a Criminology forum and searching for 'crime' and hoping that I get to see posts of criminals confessing their crimes!

Or worse, going to a government website and searching for 'scam' and hoping that the results include all details of the scams of the concerned government!
<

No, but i do expect those making statements they believe in to be able to show their basis.

To date you have been unable to do so and i strongly doubt whether you or anybody else here can.

So I will not take your words on good faith like others do.

P.S.: That link was only posted coz a fellow member asked for it politely... So, if you are gonna demand proofs, evidence, bla bla with a threat of disbelieving... it is not gonna happen!
<

Polite ? is me asking you to substantiate your position impolite. strawman.

So much trouble just to show evidence, let alone advocate your position. The funny thing is you don't even realise this.

Finally, we get one source..

Search for the word 'abuse' on that page finds this..

HC fines man Rs 50,000 for seeking private info under RTI

Read the comments below (esp. Atul Patankar) to see how contentious the ruling is.

There are many other cases where RTI is being abused. Like for example requesting to know what religion Sonia Gandhi follows or requesting for copies of Sonia Gandhi's IT Returns both of which are totally absurd and these are just couple of relatively sane examples. There are a number of important petitions where RTI is of real use, but they get clogged down in the pipes by ridiculous ones like these and all because some people think it is funny to abuse RTI like that. There is at least one case where a judge was so pissed off that a petitioner was fined 2 Lac for wasting the courts time with an absurd petition. But in many cases the abusers go Scott free to repeat it again. Unless we have some strict laws enforced to discourage abuse (heavy fines and mandatory jail time) , it is not serving its purpose well.

So I will not take your words on good faith like others do.

^^ No one asked you to even read/respond to my post let alone 'take my word on good faith'!
<

^^ blr_p is just a troll. Dont engage him by responding to his posts. Just ignore his posts and eventually he will go away.

^^ Hahahahaha!!! ROFL...
<

I cannot explain how hard I am laughing right now! The simplicity with which you made the post and the clear instruction in your signature has amazed me!
<
<

I wish my digicam was charged right now. Would have taken a video of me laughing insanely! *Salute*

<

Every law has its loopholes, care should be taken to minimize these loopholes.

The main problem is that, considering the best case scenario where a single party has absolute majority then only it can pass the laws required otherwise you can see the fracas that unfolded with RJD members tearing the Lokpal in the Parliament. The next day I saw the MP's interview with a TV channel and I was shocked to see as to how pathetic a person can become an MP. He was so proud and boasting that not a single rupee was unearthed during the fodder scam by CBI.

The lawmaker of our country just want to make a statement. Having a Z+ security and a large convoy is just a status symbol.

If an MP passes through a road then it is blocked for at least 1~2 hrs, while the President of Luxembourg commutes through train daily along with the common people.

There are many other cases where RTI is being abused.

I asked out of 100 RTI request how many are legit ?

'many' is an ambigious term.

Like for example requesting to know what religion Sonia Gandhi follows or requesting for copies of Sonia Gandhi's IT Returns both of which are totally absurd and these are just couple of relatively sane examples.

How were those requests dealt with.

There are a number of important petitions where RTI is of real use, but they get clogged down in the pipes by ridiculous ones like these and all because some people think it is funny to abuse RTI like that.

Suggests a few allegedly frivolous request can gum up the system.

What if there are many legit requests, does the system respond or does it still get gummed up.

That points to a system that cannot handle load.

There is at least one case where a judge was so pissed off that a petitioner was fined 2 Lac for wasting the courts time with an absurd petition.

So there is a cost for filing frivilous cases. Evidently once that is established a fine is issued.

Getting pissed off is not what i would consider professional behaviour in a court room, it reflects badly on the judge.

But in many cases the abusers go Scott free to repeat it again. Unless we have some strict laws enforced to discourage abuse (heavy fines and mandatory jail time) , it is not serving its purpose well.

To do this you have to define what is and isn't acceptable in an RTI request.

You will need to make a very strong case before you curb freedoms.

until that can be shown conclusively i would not advocate ANY changes.

Anybody that tries to fcuk about with freedoms needs to be called out. DO these idiots understand how hard it was to even get RTI in the first place. Do they know ? course not.

Every law has its loopholes, care should be taken to minimize these loopholes.

We only find out the loopholes after the law goes into affect and people have a go with it.

It takes time & wisdom to adjudicate what is acceptable or not.

What you defnitely do not want to be doing is using the exceptions to justify changes because in doing so you run the risk of diluting legit requests.

I asked out of 100 RTI request how many are legit ?

Judging by how the frivolous cases get filed again and again repeatedly by same or different petitioners, I would say the legit cases would be less than 10%. I don't have concrete figures on paper to prove it, but you don't have it either to prove otherwise. There are occasional articles in newspapers about how lot of such frivolous cases get filed. Like every damn thing in the country that exists for the benefit of the people gets utilized to a minor degree and abused majorly, RTI is no exception.

How were those requests dealt with.

The first one was struck off in the court on grounds that it was personal info, but the petitioner was not penalized. AFAIK, there were lots of other people who petitioned for the same sort of info. i.e religion of Sonia Gandhi or some one else. In the second case, the IT Dept initially rejected the petition on grounds that that it was personal info. but the petitioner filed it again saying that IT dept cannot reject the case on its own as Sonia Gandhi herself can decide to reveal that info and so the new request was forwarded to her. She rejected it on the grounds that it is info of a personal nature. As I understand it, the petitioner has filed it again. The other most common misuse of RTI that I know of is to get PF account status. Earlier there were thousands of RTI petitions filed just to get the PF status. This is despite the fact that there are other ways to get this info currently.

Suggests a few allegedly frivolous request can gum up the system.

What if there are many legit requests, does the system respond or does it still get gummed up.

That points to a system that cannot handle load.

It should be glaringly obvious that the system is unable to cope with the load. But still there is a difference between 100 legit requests out of 200 getting through and only 10 getting though because there are 1000 more frivolous requests. I don't think the legit cases have to go through the court except in rare cases. It's the frivolous ones where courts have to get involved most of the time.

So there is a cost for filing frivilous cases. Evidently once that is established a fine is issued.

In some very rare situations, yes but not in most other cases. But it should become the norm.

Getting pissed off is not what i would consider professional behaviour in a court room, it reflects badly on the judge.

Nothing wrong with being human as long as he acted neutrally. Judges getting pissed off by people abusing laws is one of the best things that can happen to help our judicial system.

To do this you have to define what is and isn't acceptable in an RTI request.

You will need to make a very strong case before you curb freedoms.

until that can be shown conclusively i would not advocate ANY changes.

Anybody that tries to fcuk about with freedoms needs to be called out. DO these idiots understand how hard it was to even get RTI in the first place. Do they know ? course not.

True enough, We need everything to be defined precisely on paper. Our countrymen always seem to have the knack for exploiting and abusing every damn thing given to us to be utilized for our benefit. Our country men have no moral responsibility and not an ounce of common sense required to utilize their rights properly and when its really needed. If not for the fact that murder is theoritically a crime, our people would be running around murdering more people than they are doing now. People who don't understand the value of their rights and the proper way of utilizing them don't deserve any of it.

#Lord Nemesis Well said. But anything you say, no matter how profoundly correct and justified is not gonna stop a troll from finding reasons to argue upon! Good Luck!
<

Depressing thread but I would say that human race is the most violent, greedy, vile and selfish organisms on earth but we are much less violent and uncivilized now compared to the past so I believe their is hope.... Just dont get disgusted and depressed when such things which happen... I can quote much more violent acts in countries such as US and other developed countries...

Violence, corruption and struggle for power and money is a part of human civilization...

Judging by how the frivolous cases get filed again and again repeatedly by same or different petitioners, I would say the legit cases would be less than 10%. I don't have concrete figures on paper to prove it, but you don't have it either to prove otherwise.

Exactly. And you do need the numbers otherwise its speculation, number changes depending on whom you ask.

Are there any studies that have been conducted on this issue. Then you need to examine the methodology they use to determine whether a request is legit or not.

There are occasional articles in newspapers about how lot of such frivolous cases get filed. Like every damn thing in the country that exists for the benefit of the people gets utilized to a minor degree and abused majorly, RTI is no exception.

Sweeping generalisation.

When these newspaper report 'how much' who/what are they using to make that statement. WHat are their primary sources.

The first one was struck off in the court on grounds that it was personal info, but the petitioner was not penalized. AFAIK, there were lots of other people who petitioned for the same sort of info. i.e religion of Sonia Gandhi or some one else. In the second case, the IT Dept initially rejected the petition on grounds that that it was personal info. but the petitioner filed it again saying that IT dept cannot reject the case on its own as Sonia Gandhi herself can decide to reveal that info and so the new request was forwarded to her. She rejected it on the grounds that it is info of a personal nature. As I understand it, the petitioner has filed it again.

I recall the sonia gandhi thing was due to the attempts of Subramnaim swamy. Motivation & intent was political. Now if after three attempts were rejected on legal grounds, then filing further requests is with the intent to harass. So she is free to make that charge isn't it. But she does not do it because it would hand the other a PR victory. SS has made a career out of doing this, he must file constantly to show he is doing 'something'. Whether that 'something' will ever yield a result is immaterial.

The other most common misuse of RTI that I know of is to get PF account status. Earlier there were thousands of RTI petitions filed just to get the PF status. This is despite the fact that there are other ways to get this info currently.

There may be other ways to do it but do they produce a result within a stipulated time frame thats the whole point of RTI isn't it.

What is a PF account btw ? personal funds or other

It should be glaringly obvious that the system is unable to cope with the load. But still there is a difference between 100 legit requests out of 200 getting through and only 10 getting though because there are 1000 more frivolous requests. I don't think the legit cases have to go through the court except in rare cases. It's the frivolous ones where courts have to get involved most of the time.

Without proper numbers its not possible to make this statement.

In some very rare situations, yes but not in most other cases. But it should become the norm.

Why isn't that the case then. What are the obstacles.

I would bet in most of the cases the other person does not file a complaint.

Lord Nemesis' timestamp='1331810975' post='1719773 said:
True enough, We need everything to be defined precisely on paper. Our countrymen always seem to have the knack for exploiting and abusing every damn thing given to us to be utilized for our benefit. Our country men have no moral responsibility and not an ounce of common sense required to utilize their rights properly and when its really needed. If not for the fact that murder is theoritically a crime, our people would be running around murdering more people than they are doing now. People who don't understand the value of their rights and the proper way of utilizing them don't deserve any of it.

The inherent problem is in how you define what can and cannot be requested.

Many times an RTI request is a building block in a case whose goal might not be immediately obvious. There may be follow up requests based on the responses given. and once enough evidence has been collected then a case can be made.

To limit RTI on the basis of abuse whose extent is yet to be reliably shown, would be bad. It would be a step backward. For me the only people that would be for such is the establishement. It ain't the common man. A few bad apples does not mean everybody should pay the price.

To put it another way i would be for RTI remaining untouched and provisions allowed in cases where repeated requests have been conclusively proven to be of an ulterior motive. This in itself is shaky too. All to show that its a complex problem whose parameters have to be understood before any tweaks are introduced.

the equivalent of RTI is FOA (freedom of information) in the US and was introduced in the 70s. I wonder how they deal with such issues.

Neo-N' timestamp='1331813509' post='1719802 said:
#Lord Nemesis Well said. But anything you say, no matter how profoundly correct and justified is not gonna stop a troll from finding reasons to argue upon! Good Luck!
<

A quick glance at my posting history, that too over the years will disprove it.

But hey lets not let the evidence get in the way of that. Lets not make up our minds on a sound basis but be spoon fed biased crap.

In this thread you've displayed a predilection to make statements without evidence so this is no different.

All this from a law student
<

Retract your statement or back it up !

Don't try to divert the discussion into you or me. That tactic won't work. As for what i can do, i can get in your face anytime in the future i think you're trying to pull a fast one. Do not harbour any doubts as to my will or ability to do so. I rarely ever see a second round here so if you think you can beat the numbers be my guest. Think about that. I don't need to be a mod, i already can and have exerted a strong influence in the flow of threads in this section. Examine my profile and see where the majority of my posts lie. Read them to get a better idea of who you're up against. I ain't received a caution ever on this board or any other. I can play by the rules. And as far as those are concerned this place is like a vacation for me compared to other places which are a great deal stricter & unforgiving.

If you don't care about what you post why should anybody else. Why should we put any stock in whatever you say. This is what you should be more concerned about. This is what ANYBODY that wants to post in this section should be thinking about.

If everybody thought the way you do there would be no value left as is very obvious with the way this thread has proceeded, its still stuck on the ground and yet to take off. I've tried to raise the level of discussion, introduce a degree of rigour & discipline but to no avail. I do this as a matter of routine to keep the morons out but there is only so much that can be done.

As such your kind of attitude is to be discouraged. It does not create value, quite the contrary.

It invariably leads to calls that the GT section be closed.

Why ? far better to flag those that treat this section as their toilet ! Call out the ones that drop turds and then tell you to get lost.

That way the section remains open for those that DO have something worthwhile to say.

#blr_p Whoa... I am so scared...
<

On a serious note... Please don't try to engage me. There is nothing you are gonna gain out of it! While I used to get into battles with people earlier, I now know exactly how to deal with a troll. The technique is to keep cool and enjoy the posts of the troll!

Also, everyone is aware of your reputation here. Hell, people actually have you in their signatures and rightly so! So, Talk to the hand!!
<

P.S.: I'll provide you with a link for the meaning of the phrase 'talk to the hand'! Here: http://en.wikipedia....alk_to_the_hand

Also, the quote from a fellow member who has aptly described you in a short and sweet manner:

^^ blr_p is just a troll. Dont engage him by responding to his posts. Just ignore his posts and eventually he will go away.

See, I am backing up what I say with links and evidence now!
<

I Don't fell it right to interrupt in your EGO war , but FYI , kindly read the Title of Topic/Thread again , and act accordingly.

PS...now I seriously realise why this Thread Owner was wondering "Will this country never succeed.?" , you both are from India , right ??

So now , If you have realised what you were doing , pls stop it right there.

Don't consider it as an offence.Actually it creates a bad impression on post readers.

Thanks

Rishi.

I Don't fell it right to interrupt in your EGO war , but FYI , kindly read the Title of Topic/Thread again , and act accordingly.

PS...now I seriously realise why this Thread Owner was wondering "Will this country never succeed.?" , you both are from India , right ??

So now , If you have realised what you were doing , pls stop it right there.

lol, I guess now the OP knows why India will never succeed

Back