Graphic Cards why price drops in graphics cards'are not translated in India immediately?

aruka

Disciple
Always fumed over this aspect:mad: :mad: , guys....

When a new graphics card is launched, cards are almost immediately available in India with the insane price quoted all over the world. Say 4 example... NVidia GTX 285 and 295. OK...I can eat that coz Im not gonna buy that stuff...

But, what intrigues me most is...
price drops for cards a step lower than newest ones are immediately available for US/EU people but, our vendors are very very reluctant to translate that price drops...
For example... after t intro of GTX295 and GTX285... prices of BFG and EVGA GTX 280 dropped to 350 dollars in newegg.com
Newegg.com - evga gtx 280

but, the insane price of 32,000 still persist in techshop.in
eVGA NVIDIA e-GeForce GTX280 01G-P3-1284-AR 1GB GDDR3 SSC Super

Now, I know I cant expect an exact translation of dollars to rupees.... but, atleast, some price drops at the correct time will make us feel better...

What do u feel guys?:no:
And, what's t reason behind this?:huh:
And, this doesnt end with graphics card.... I think its the same scenario for mobos, monitors etc., But, processors seem to escape this problem...Am I correct?

A valid reason would be the number of cards sold in India.

Newegg alone must be selling more cards than the whole of India :lol:

The other and worse reason would be the distry mafia in India. They contend that anything above 13-15k is hi-end and start making ridiculous margins.

so, how much of a price drop can we expect within 3 to 4 weeks...say, by mid of feb for cards like

HD 4870 512MB and 1GB
GTX 260
GTX 280...?:down:
Any idea...:huh:

sTALKEr said:

The other and worse reason would be the distry mafia in India. They contend that anything above 13-15k is hi-end and start making ridiculous margins.

:right: :right:

sexysexy123 said:
so, how much of a price drop can we expect within 3 to 4 weeks...say, by mid of feb for cards like

HD 4870 512MB and 1GB
GTX 260
GTX 280...?:down:
Any idea...:huh:

it's always unclear how the prices reflect here . OR at times they won't reflect :no: .

if u wanna buy stuff which is overpriced here & is available in US online stores , u can order them via KMD .

well in india our Govt has no control over the price of anything these distributes are just making there profits selling the Gfx cards at old prices even more. i some times feal there is no competition between them they act like they are in some union .

there should be a site like newegg or amazone in india too which do the fair practice in india so that these distributors can't fool anyone

I have a gut feeling I am gonna get flamed for this reply, but ah well. ;x

India is a third world country, there is not as much of a market here as the USA, so all the companies are not as established in India as they are elsewhere. So the companies solely rely on distributors and we solely rely on retailers, these two tiers in between causes the prices to bump up quite a bit, unlike in case of newegg where they get their supply directly from the companies, so they could sell for lower prices and still make a decent margin.

I'm not sure about this part, but arent the taxes in India a bit higher than most other countries? So its only natural for companies to price their products higher cause its actually a trade off sourcing their products from a place of higher demand at lower costs to India, where there is relatively lesser demand and thereby higher costs.

I know we are talking about GPUs, but consider the Nintendo Wii for an example. It was launched in India almost two years after its international release. Its only understandable that companies want to focus in places where they have a better market

Bottom line ; KOS distributers

sexysexy123 said:
But, what intrigues me most is...
price drops for cards a step lower than newest ones are immediately available for US/EU people but, our vendors are very very reluctant to translate that price drops...
For example... after t intro of GTX295 and GTX285... prices of BFG and EVGA GTX 280 dropped to 350 dollars in newegg.com
Newegg.com - evga gtx 280

but, the insane price of 32,000 still persist in techshop.in
eVGA NVIDIA e-GeForce GTX280 01G-P3-1284-AR 1GB GDDR3 SSC Super

Now, I know I cant expect an exact translation of dollars to rupees.... but, atleast, some price drops at the correct time will make us feel better...

What do u feel guys?:no:
And, what's t reason behind this?:huh:
And, this doesnt end with graphics card.... I think its the same scenario for mobos, monitors etc., But, processors seem to escape this problem...Am I correct?

techshop.in isn't too popular a site, is it? I mean how many people buy online? Most people in India dont like making huge payments to a person whom they cant see physically and dont even know if he exists in real or not. The only exception maybe while dealing with KMD.
I dont know if techshop.in is the online extension of a physical store or not(e.g www.lynx-india.com). If they rely only on the website to sell all their items then it may take a long time to clear the stock. Until the old stock is cleared, they cant offer the new reduced prices. So it is always better to buy the physical shop which has a lot of sales as the price drop will be reflected earlier.
If you cant go to a shop to check the price ask the people who go regularly to check for you(post in the appropriate thread in Peripherals section).

sTALKEr said:

Newegg sales are better than whole of India purely because of pricing (better price, hence better sales) not the other way (better sales, hence less price)

Even Sony and M$ initally sold their consoles for a loss because they wanted to increase sales. Obviously our importers are oblivious of this logic. They just dont understand the word 'volumes'.

damn said:
India is a third world country, there is not as much of a market here as the USA, so all the companies are not as established in India as they are elsewhere. So the companies solely rely on distributors and we solely rely on retailers, these two tiers in between causes the prices to bump up quite a bit, unlike in case of newegg where they get their supply directly from the companies, so they could sell for lower prices and still make a decent margin.

I'm not sure about this part, but arent the taxes in India a bit higher than most other countries? ....

Totally off track. The question here is not why the products are priced higher here but why are price drops not reflected. If u have been following prices, u'll see that any raise in international prices/ dollar rates is promptly reflected here. Nothing happens here if the prices drop.

Also, the prices u get from dealers here on TE are quite decent. It's the distis who are charging a lot more. As sTALKEr say, disti mafia at work here.

spacenoxx said:
Newegg sales are better than whole of India purely because of pricing (better price, hence better sales) not the other way (better sales, hence less price)

Even Sony and M$ initally sold their consoles for a loss because they wanted to increase sales. Obviously our importers are oblivious of this logic. They just dont understand the word 'volumes'.

BS.. 90% of computer owners in India still don't know the difference between a graphics card and onboard video. And even among those who know what a graphics card is, more than 80% are happy with a 512MB/1024MB graphics card :mad:

Naga said:
Totally off track. The question here is not why the products are priced higher here but why are price drops not reflected. If u have been following prices, u'll see that any raise in international prices/ dollar rates is promptly reflected here. Nothing happens here if the prices drop.
Bleh, that is what I meant. Ultimately, the reason the price drops are not reflected straight away is very much because the companies dont operate directly at all, most companies just have a couple of service centers to qualify for a certain level in customer service which again, is imaginary. The distributors just exploit this to their advantage, insane prices, improper/late reflections of price cuts but prompt with raises etc....

I do agree entirely about the "greedy distributors" part, I prolly should have been more elaborate. My text did make it sound like I was hinting at the lower prices, but nevertheless the theory still applies to the price fluctuation too.

hotshot05 said:
techshop.in isn't too popular a site, is it? I mean how many people buy online? Most people in India dont like making huge payments to a person whom they cant see physically and dont even know if he exists in real or not. The only exception maybe while dealing with KMD.
I dont know if techshop.in is the online extension of a physical store or not(e.g www.lynx-india.com). If they rely only on the website to sell all their items then it may take a long time to clear the stock. Until the old stock is cleared, they cant offer the new reduced prices. So it is always better to buy the physical shop which has a lot of sales as the price drop will be reflected earlier.
If you cant go to a shop to check the price ask the people who go regularly to check for you(post in the appropriate thread in Peripherals section).

techshop.in was just an example...;) even the 'physical shops' are no good... I mean, the pricings' r relatively Okay, but, they r (the physical shops) no way better in promptly bringing down the prices when a price-cut is announced... they take their own G.O.K. time...:no:

sTALKEr said:
BS.. 90% of computer owners in India still don't know the difference between a graphics card and onboard video. And even among those who know what a graphics card is, more than 80% are happy with a 512MB/1024MB graphics card :mad:

Seconded.
You really can't be serious when you say that people in India don't buy 3D cards solely because of the price...

Average computer buyer= Buys the most expensive processor possible, measly amount/quality of ram, crappy intel "original" motherboard.

^More than that all they refer to for price/knowledge 2-3 different shops and make the purchase..

I've seen shop owners ripping people like anything, even on things like laptop..

And this is not only for graphics cards but almost everything, even some of our TE dealers increased prices due to "dollar increase" but no one cuts the prices when it comes down..

WHY :-

Because the major part of the actual market is ignorant and indifferent or doesnt have the "technical" knowledge to understand the criteria of rating cards as per performance..

It's all about the tax and conversion rate of currency, hardware in europe costs similar to hardware in India but there are a hell lot of people buying graphic cards in europe.

Simple reason is the "govt's tax". Our country's govt. charges tax over everything and computer peripherals is also no exception.

sTALKEr said:

no reason to drop the prices
if all distris keep it up, everyone gets a bigger profit
if one drops it then rest have to also
so the solution is someone from TE to become a good distri :D

15+k is high end for comps the same way 1k+ is high end on earphones :p
i wonder if anyone will ever buy a super.fi10

Back