Widespread misspelling of the name of my city

I used to ship dozens of parcels with Speed Post daily. They got every third name wrong. Either way it has no significance.

India Post is technically a bank. Post, parcel are merely some side hustles for the India Post. Go to any Post office, only one window is given to the post business like parcel, register, speed post, money order etc. Rest of the 9 windows are given to the banking business. Only new interns are given the job of accepting parcels because nobody else wants it. This is why you get mistakes. Again, it has no significance. I wouldn't read too much into it.

If you go over the thread again, you'll see that I never claimed that the mistakes are caused by racism or prejudice. That's an assumption on your part.
The point of the thread, and what's so inexplicable, is the inability of many Indians to move their thoughts away from an initial concept even when evidence to the contrary is staring at them.
None of my people would ever spell a name like Thiruvananthapuram wrong - except perhaps as a rare typo which is an entirely different matter.

Some Indian names have different but equally acceptable spellings because there is no precise representation of the sounds in the English alphabet. A syllable may sound like something between b and v, v nd u, e and i, etc. etc. This is a different matter. Take the Bengali name Bhattacherjee, for example. I believe this is a common name and I've seen different owners of the name spell it differently - like Batacherji, Bhatacherji, Battacherjee and so on. If I receive a communication from someone with this name, I'll simply spell it exactly as he/she spells it.
Fair enough - you are right in that this was indeed an assumption on my part.
The latent inertia to move away from an initial concept though is an innate human trait and not particular to India/ Indians alone.

Have often seen this trait exhibited more strongly by the average person of certain other nationalities vs say an average Indian - probably because we have also changed quite a bit as a country economically and culturally in the last 25 odd years so in some ways we have become more open to adapt to change.
Very subjective statement though so can understand if others dont agree

Last edited:
The latent inertia to move away from an initial concept though is an innate human trait and not particular to India/ Indians alone.
Imagine if he lived in the west. They would do the same thing as well. Let alone spelling they wouldn't be able to pronounce Indian names even.
Have often seen this trait exhibited more strongly by the average person of certain other nationalities vs say an average Indian - probably because we have also changed quite a bit as a country economically and culturally in the last 25 odd years so in some ways we have become more open to adapt to change.
Very subjective statement though so can understand if others dont agree
I still stick to the British names of cities here since they were the ones that made them what they are. All tier 1 cities.

I give up.
Look, i am sorry if i didn’t understand the crux of your message/ rationale behind thread.
Since i have been following this thread for a while, let me state how I interpreted it.

it appeared to me that you are trying to draw a connection between mis-spelt proper nouns as an indicator of lack of respect/ general apathy towards the North Eastern region (or at least your state in particular)

While I will be the last person to deny that there are several people in the North/ central (or western/southern) regions of the country who are terribly ill informed about the NE regions - and worse, some of them can get discriminatory towards denizens of said region.

However I also believe that the majority does not fall under this category.

My only problem with this connect is that within this pool of individuals, there will be several who will continue to mis-spell / mispronounce proper nouns. And they will do so not because they are bigoted but simply because they do not know better. Also, they will do this without regard for the region. They will mis-spell say Spanish proper nouns with the same level of alacrity as they would for a Mizo or Sikkimese noun.
Sweeping them under the same bigot umbrella as the former group is a disservice/ inappropriate - That’s all!

Peace out.

All right, I'll try once more.
Look, i am sorry if i didn’t understand the crux of your message/ rationale behind thread.
Since i have been following this thread for a while, let me state how I interpreted it.

it appeared to me that you are trying to draw a connection between mis-spelt proper nouns as an indicator of lack of respect/ general apathy towards the North Eastern region (or at least your state in particular)

While I will be the last person to deny that there are several people in the North/ central (or western/southern) regions of the country who are terribly ill informed about the NE regions - and worse, some of them can get discriminatory towards denizens of said region.

However I also believe that the majority does not fall under this category.
Why do you persist with this line of reasoning? I've stated more than once that it's not about discrimination, real or imagined.
The crux of the matter is that I - and my people - cannot understand why most Indians cannot spell short simple names correctly. We would understand completely if the mistakes were rare occasional ones made by a few careless or uneducated people. We all make mistakes now and then.

What we cannot understand is how the vast majority of Indians see an unfamiliar name - even a short simple one - and immediately assume that it should be spelled and pronounced in an entirely different way.
My only problem with this connect is that within this pool of individuals, there will be several who will continue to mis-spell / mispronounce proper nouns. And they will do so not because they are bigoted but simply because they do not know better. Also, they will do this without regard for the region. They will mis-spell say Spanish proper nouns with the same level of alacrity as they would for a Mizo or Sikkimese noun.
Sweeping them under the same bigot umbrella as the former group is a disservice/ inappropriate - That’s all!

Peace out.
Someone also mentioned that Westerners are much worse than Indians in this respect. He's wrong, at least about the reasonably educated ones. I have lived, worked and corresponded with Americans, British, Germans and other races, starting from long before the internet age. Never have I ever known any of them get my name or that of my city wrong.

To be an Indian is to be hesty.

Indian system doesn't reward someone who takes time to do things accurately. The ones who prefer quality over quantity are always going to be punished. No one wants to wait at the traffic lights. Everyone is jumping the queues. Gotta get kids into the school before they could walk, "I'm in 2nd standard, is it too late to prepare for IIT entrance?".

Avrej Indian cnt evn ryt englis corect. Hre, v odd men dwell on sum spalings. Avrej Indian don ker. Dis isu iz 2 poultry.

Tamilnadu should actually be Tamizh Nadu if we are spelling it as we pronounce it but I don't think any other language has 'ழ' or Zha as its spelled in english.
I have heard multiple people from Tamil Nadu claim this, but it is not true at all. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retroflex_lateral_flap is a well known feature of multiple Indian languages, it very likely existed in earlier forms of Sanskrit and Prakrit.

I also conducted an experiment : a listener who knew only Hindi and English was made to listen to the retroflex l of Marathi (or Kannada in another version of the experiment); as well as the Tamil one. The listener could not figure out the difference.

I have heard multiple people from Tamil Nadu claim this, but it is not true at all. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retroflex_lateral_flap is a well known feature of multiple Indian languages, it very likely existed in earlier forms of Sanskrit and Prakrit.

I also conducted an experiment : a listener who knew only Hindi and English was made to listen to the retroflex l of Marathi (or Kannada in another version of the experiment); as well as the Tamil one. The listener could not figure out the difference.
Good to know. If its in other languages, then its just ignorance, lack of familiarity or no discernible benefit to them that's making them mangle my state and language name. Tamizh is pronounced with retroflex R and its not tamil with an il ending. Can't change people just have to ignore and move on

As a young man, I worked at the Christian Medical Hospital in Vellore, TN in 1971-72. I couldn't even learn to pronounce the name Vellore as the natives did. It sounded something like 'bhel-loor' to my ears. The ll seemed to be enunciated by pressing the tongue to the roof of the mouth for a moment and then releasing it suddenly.

My language is different in that every word is pronounced exactly as written. There are no alternative spellings or pronunciations, no silent letter or modified pronunciation.

As a young man, I worked at the Christian Medical Hospital in Vellore, TN in 1971-72. I couldn't even learn to pronounce the name Vellore as the natives did. It sounded something like 'bhel-loor' to my ears. The ll seemed to be enunciated by pressing the tongue to the roof of the mouth for a moment and then releasing it suddenly.

My language is different in that every word is pronounced exactly as written. There are no alternative spellings or pronunciations, no silent letter or modified pronunciation.
Approximation is a thing. Can't do much about it. While spelled as Vellore, it is pronounced as Wayloor.

I'm happy as long as the packages get delivered properly. Let them spell it as per their comfort

All right, I'll try once more.

Why do you persist with this line of reasoning? I've stated more than once that it's not about discrimination, real or imagined.
The crux of the matter is that I - and my people - cannot understand why most Indians cannot spell short simple names correctly. We would understand completely if the mistakes were rare occasional ones made by a few careless or uneducated people. We all make mistakes now and then.

What we cannot understand is how the vast majority of Indians see an unfamiliar name - even a short simple one - and immediately assume that it should be spelled and pronounced in an entirely different way.

Someone also mentioned that Westerners are much worse than Indians in this respect. He's wrong, at least about the reasonably educated ones. I have lived, worked and corresponded with Americans, British, Germans and other races, starting from long before the internet age. Never have I ever known any of them get my name or that of my city wrong.
The only explanation i can offer is the modicum of familiarity.
When Encountering a completely new name/term, we automatically become extra cautious.
When we see something that seems familiar/ seen before, we take a shortcut

For example , When i encounter an unfamiliar say Tanzanian or Nordic name , i take extra care to make sure I get the spelling right. Sometimes going to the extent of double checking the name on outlook directory or similar.

OTOH, when someone hears Zotin Khuma as the name of an Indian, it’s possible they may end up assuming it to be a Zotin Kumar or worse, Jatin Kumar (the fallacy of limited familarity) - (no offense meant)

Its the same reason why a lot of Indians will mispronounce a Latin José as Joe-say instead of Hoe-jay as expected - because they have met or know perhaps a Jose from Kerala :)
On a lighter note, If you were in the outsourcing industry, it’s quite possible that a westerner or East Asian may also end up referring to you as Kumar because of the same reason (and the prevalence of said last name )

Its the same reason why a lot of Indians will mispronounce a Latin José as Joe-say instead of Hoe-jay as expected - because they have met or know perhaps a Jose from Kerala :)
On a lighter note, If you were in the outsourcing industry, it’s quite possible that a westerner or East Asian may also end up referring to you as Kumar because of the same reason (and the prevalence of said last name )
I literally faced this situation when I worked in a call center and got a call from Jésus Fernandez. I called him Jesus not Haysoos. He shared the correct pronunciation and I corrected myself for the reminder of the call.

Majority of the Indians are not even aware of diacritic characters. For indians ja is jha where as westerners pronounce it as ya. For a long while before wikipedia I wondered why the film was named Red Sonjha when the character was called Sonya

Was in a bank once where i happen to ask what the name of the clerk and he replied Caesar

I misheard and said Sridhar

CAESAR! he said again

Same here with Nashik sometimes, people simply put Nasik on wesites, on couriers etc
frustrates my mind..

do they pronounce kashmir as kasmir? no. but they simple ignored with Nashik.

Don't think people does this intentionally, huge majority may not be caring at all and doing it unaware.

Few years back, in a post office within city of Mumbai, officer was not even ready to write the name of place I'm from correctly (that too just 5 letters in English). Even after giving correct Pin code, camly explaining the difference between what she is writing and correct name of the place. After minutes long brash comments from her in Marathi, I had to stop and go to another post office to get work done. That was not ignorance, rather everyday casual racism within India.

Back