Wifie DEMANDS - 9kg+ Top Loading Washing Machine EDIT: Bought LG 7.5 kg T8018AEEP5

terence_fdes

wizened Dinosaur
Skilled
Hi

URGENTLY NEED - 9kg - 11Kg Top Loading Washing Machine

My old Whirlpool semi-automatic washing machine has conked off (used for 15 years & sparks are flying from the panel) & the "wifie" has demanded that we buy a new one ASAP (or else I would have to wash the clothes myself :scared14: ........ so here goes my plans {again & again} to upgrade my PC to Ms Ivybridge :annoyed:. In May she demanded a 2 Ton Hitachi Window AC - got that too ..... :hail: the demands of the wifie.

Meanwhile @varkey is providing me with a lo-cost solution to continue with my 24/7 downloads (Seagate GoFlex Home is on it's way & coupling it with a 2TB drive)...... So, that's enuf of "the story of my life" now.

Space Available - Width 570-590mm [Front Loading Totally Ruled Out]

Capacity : 9kgs - 11 kgs

Budget: Upto 32K

Np problem if anyone recomends a cheaper one or suggests any other brand :happy26:

Brands & Models zeroing in:
SAMSUNG
11 kg - WA13WPMEH for Rs 30,000/- [width is doubtfull 603mm ]
10.5 kg - WA12VPLEH for Rs 25,000/-

LG
9.5 kg - LG T8053AEET5 for Rs 32,000/- [why this is more expensive than the 11kg Samsung]
9 kg - LG WF T1021PFRV for Rs 20,555/-

Looking out for longer warranty period & if possible ability to save 2-3 wash settings in memory. I have never used a fully automatic washing machine so I hope it would'nt be too difficult for the wifie to use. Lastly, is there anyother thing that I should bear in mind while making this purchase.

Thanks

Terry (Mumbai)

Last edited by a moderator:
Terry,

I am curious...Why such a big WM?
Need to know few things:
1. How many people are there in your family (whose clothes will be washed in the WM)?
2.How many times a week do you(more precisely...your wife) intend to use the WM in a week?

You can take a look at the Whirlpool Bloomwash-8kg (dimension- 620x657mm) Washing Machine. Build quality is on the higher side compared to competition and it has an in-built heater as well. Have been using this machine for the past 2 months and performance is satisfying. But it'll be difficult to fit even a 8kg+ washing machine within 590mm width.
The Samsung models you have listed are manufactured in Thailand and were also under our consideration, but were eventually ruled out for lack of in-built heater. You, though have the option of feeding hot water through a separate inlet in these machines. Also, please note that the model-WA12VPLEH is a "previous-gen" model and is no longer listed in Samsung India website.
If space is really a concern, you can have a look at Sharp washing machines at Vijay Sales. They come with round body and help in substantial space saving. I have no idea about their performance, though.

Terry,

I am curious...Why such a big WM?
Need to know few things:
1. How many people are there in your family (whose clothes will be washed in the WM)?
2.How many times a week do you(more precisely...your wife) intend to use the WM in a week?

Good Question:-

Most washing machines today have drums that are too small and do not take a large bucket of clothes that are pre-soaked ..... the method that we have been following for years. So if we go in for any capacity lesser than 9kgs - this would mean neccessitating 2 rounds and thus more electricity consumption. The rated capacity of these machines in kg's is only indicative & not realistic. Our present & old machine 6.5kg (whirlpool semi-auto has a single drum which is visibily very much larger than most of today's washing machines).

For proper washing on full load (of pre-soaked clothes) you need a min of 25-35 per cent free-space that's filled with water.

Pre-soaking clothes help's get better results (collars etc are hand scrubbed) - would following this method still be necessary in today's fully auto machines with so-called multiple wash features ??

A 6 to 7.5kg machine's drum is way too small to accomodate a single wash cycle for our requirements. Lastly we are just 3 members at home and we wash clothes at least 3 times a week.

---------- Post added at 10:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 AM ----------

You can take a look at the Whirlpool Bloomwash-8kg (dimension- 620x657mm) Washing Machine. Build quality is on the higher side compared to competition and it has an in-built heater as well. Have been using this machine for the past 2 months and performance is satisfying. But it'll be difficult to fit even a 8kg+ washing machine within 590mm width.

Will be looking at this model too

The Samsung models you have listed are manufactured in Thailand and were also under our consideration, but were eventually ruled out for lack of in-built heater. You, though have the option of feeding hot water through a separate inlet in these machines. Also, please note that the model-WA12VPLEH is a "previous-gen" model and is no longer listed in Samsung India website.

This is really very informative. However I have to rule out the separate hot-water inlet (can't change the internal water piping now at home).

If space is really a concern, you can have a look at Sharp washing machines at Vijay Sales. They come with round body and help in substantial space saving. I have no idea about their performance, though.

Will be carrying my measuring tape and actually checking out the dimensions today or tomorrow.

really helpful info thanks

If you were earlier using a 9kg semi-automatic machine, the spinning drums capacity would have not been more than 5-6 kgs. Moreover, with semi automatic we tend to use them less frequently, say once in a week or so.
With fully automatic machines, you have scope of fire and forget, so you can use it more often say everyday in the night before you go to sleep and get almost dried clean clothes in the morning. Though this comes at a cost of higher detergent and electricity consumption. If this sounds like a plan to you, then you may consider buying lesser capacity WM as well. As per my understanding 7kg WM is sufficient enough for family of 6 with alternate day usage.
For ex. my 5.5kg top loading fully automatic machine is capable of handling 8-10 adult sized shirts/t-shirts or 3 large jeans on full load.

Regards,
Mohit

If you were earlier using a 9kg semi-automatic machine, the spinning drums capacity would have not been more than 5-6 kgs. Moreover, with semi automatic we tend to use them less frequently, say once in a week or so.
With fully automatic machines, you have scope of fire and forget, so you can use it more often say everyday in the night before you go to sleep and get almost dried clean clothes in the morning. Though this comes at a cost of higher detergent and electricity consumption. If this sounds like a plan to you, then you may consider buying lesser capacity WM as well. As per my understanding 7kg WM is sufficient enough for family of 6 with alternate day usage.
For ex. my 5.5kg top loading fully automatic machine is capable of handling 8-10 adult sized shirts/t-shirts or 3 large jeans on full load.

Regards,
Mohit

To quote an example, Whirlpool Bloomwash (8kg) draws 575W during wash cycle. Samsung 6.5kg draws 330W. For a family of three, 2-3 times a week running of Whirlpool Bloomwash will suffice. The 6.5kg one may have to run for 4-5 times a week, which translates into more units of electricity consumed and more wear and tear, hence higher maintenance costs.

The pro-side of going in for a smaller capacity lies in shorter cycle times, less space occupied, low spin speeds (good for delicate clothes) and low AMC costs (if you go in for one in a top loader). The wash quality may also suffer in a small capacity machine due to small size of the drum and hence the clothes not being able to move freely.

To quote an example, Whirlpool Bloomwash (8kg) draws 575W during wash cycle. Samsung 6.5kg draws 330W. For a family of three, 2-3 times a week running of Whirlpool Bloomwash will suffice. The 6.5kg one may have to run for 4-5 times a week, which translates into more units of electricity consumed and more wear and tear, hence higher maintenance costs.

The pro-side of going in for a smaller capacity lies in shorter cycle times, less space occupied, low spin speeds (good for delicate clothes) and low AMC costs (if you go in for one in a top loader). The wash quality may also suffer in a small capacity machine due to small size of the drum and hence the clothes not being able to move freely.

Yes this is definately interesting ...... It's just that the width is 620mm (if it's actually true then it may not fit in the space that I have). I will cross check it this evening at the nearest mall.

LG's 8& 9 kg washing machines dimensions seem to fit your requirements. The base of both measure 590mmx606mm (widthxdepth).
Model Nos for non-direct drive model are-
T1021PFRV-9kg
T9022PFRV/ T9022PFFC- 8kg.

The reason why LG- T8503AEET5 (9.5kg) is costly than Samsung is because it is a direct drive machine with 10 years motor warranty. The quoted price of 32k for this model looks attractive. Many people are of the opinion that though direct drive is reliable, if something goes wrong, we may end up replacing the entire drum-motor assembly, with the company paying only for the motor for the initial 10 years. So, replacement costs may be more in direct drive. I suggest you take a reliable second opinion regarding direct drive top loaders as LG is the only company offering products in this segment in India as of today.

Any specific reason you wouldn't consider front loading types?

Bosch has some really good machines introduced in the country some time back. I might grab one soon.

^ front load is out of the question because he pre soaks the clothes and dumping a bucket of clothes with water/soap is not possible in case of a front load WM.

@terrence_fdes
If the pre-soaking is the only issue against a front load then you can check the features of these WMs. Almost all front load WMs will have a soak option in the wash cycle where the clothes are soaked in the soapy water for some amount of time. Hand scrubbed collars are also possible if you dump just the wet clothes in the machine. I have a front load WM and have done this.

Any specific reason you wouldn't consider front loading types?

Bosch has some really good machines introduced in the country some time back. I might grab one soon.

Dear Gannu - Front loading is ruled out simply because of space constraints [the washing machine occupies a limited space outside our kitchen - we have covered up the window boxed-parapet area illegally]. Arrey u kno naa FSI & space constraints of living in Moombai ;)

LG's 8& 9 kg washing machines dimensions seem to fit your requirements. The base of both measure 590mmx606mm (widthxdepth).
Model Nos for non-direct drive model are-
T1021PFRV-9kg
T9022PFRV/ T9022PFFC- 8kg.

The reason why LG- T8503AEET5 (9.5kg) is costly than Samsung is because it is a direct drive machine with 10 years motor warranty. The quoted price of 32k for this model looks attractive. Many people are of the opinion that though direct drive is reliable, if something goes wrong, we may end up replacing the entire drum-motor assembly, with the company paying only for the motor for the initial 10 years. So, replacement costs may be more in direct drive. I suggest you take a reliable second opinion regarding direct drive top loaders as LG is the only company offering products in this segment in India as of today.

WHAT....whew & wow. Now it's a new thingy that I need to be aware of "Direct Drive Top Loaders" ........ But yes, I am veering towards LG. Let's see If we can find the "failure rate" for this technology/system.

---------- Post added at 04:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:16 PM ----------

^ front load is out of the question because he pre soaks the clothes and dumping a bucket of clothes with water/soap is not possible in case of a front load WM.

@terrence_fdes
If the pre-soaking is the only issue against a front load then you can check the features of these WMs. Almost all front load WMs will have a soak option in the wash cycle where the clothes are soaked in the soapy water for some amount of time. Hand scrubbed collars are also possible if you dump just the wet clothes in the machine. I have a front load WM and have done this.

As I said earlier we may or maynot continue with "pre-soaking" in the new machine. However this is not an issue for me to drop Front-Loading systems ........... it's purely space constraints (as elaborated above)

Ok, thanks for the reply. Your calculations are spot on. Most people fill their top loader to the brim; ignoring the fact that in to loaders the clothes should "float"in water and not be packed tight together. But I would advise to stay away from LG's Direct Drive to avoid huge future maintenance costs. Its true that you will need to replace he drum in case the motor goes bad. An in case you do decide to buy it, then make sure you buy comprehensive extended warranty. Stores like Croma offer it with most products, not sure about Vijay sales. My FL Samsung conked off recently(its only 3yrs old) and I had to shell out 6.5K for the motor,drain motor and PCB.

Ok, thanks for the reply. Your calculations are spot on. Most people fill their top loader to the brim; ignoring the fact that in to loaders the clothes should "float"in water and not be packed tight together. But I would advise to stay away from LG's Direct Drive to avoid huge future maintenance costs. Its true that you will need to replace he drum in case the motor goes bad. An in case you do decide to buy it, then make sure you buy comprehensive extended warranty. Stores like Croma offer it with most products, not sure about Vijay sales. My FL Samsung conked off recently(its only 3yrs old) and I had to shell out 6.5K for the motor,drain motor and PCB.

As a practice I generally avoid taking any "extended or comprehensive warranties" on the products that I buy. Moreoften than not it's a nightmare to ask the shop/company to adhere to their promises & repair the product satisfactorily. It's an old psychological gimmick that we fall for & that still works for these looters of making more money.

I avoid Chroma becoz they always sell things at the MRP - (elsewhere as on most products if you can bargain well, you can get discounts of upto 15-20% on the MRP). An extended warranty would cost 2.5 to 3.5K, add that to the discount that I could get from picking it up elsewhere & then if all this totals 5-6K ...... It's money saved.

Gosh .... The more complex these things get (a washing machine DAMMIT) .... the worse it gets. What's more - most models are phased out within 7-12 months (same is the case for Refrigerators/Microwave etc).......... So getting reviews for any of them also is futile (as the model exists nomore). If I am not really convinced of these advanced models - I would settle for something in the range of 18-22K..... wot say

The biggest threat in case of a automatic washing machine is its electronic control panel. If anything goes wrong with the panel and if the model is obsolete in the market, the machine may have to be disposed off as junk. 18-22K range is a safe bet for a top loader in this regard. I would recommend a stabilizer as well (to safeguard the panel) if the voltage is not stable in your area.

i do not understand why does a fully automatic washing machine needs an AMC.

we have a national fully automatic washing machine since 1987 i guess and never had an AMC done. apart from a rat bite which damaged some sensors of the machine, we have zero maintenance costs coming from the machine these years. it still cleans like new and no complaints till now.

we have a national fully automatic washing machine since 1987 i guess and never had an AMC done. apart from a rat bite which damaged some sensors of the machine, we have zero maintenance costs coming from the machine these years. it still cleans like new and no complaints till now.

Sigh... Yes circa 80's or earlier - THEY MADE QUALITY STUFF THOSE DAYS TO LAST .... Not anymore :(

The biggest threat in case of a automatic washing machine is its electronic control panel. If anything goes wrong with the panel and if the model is obsolete in the market, the machine may have to be disposed off as junk.

So we are left with NO CHOICE of finding A QUALITY Product that would serve us well.

I will have to make up my mind by this weekend ..........

Also looking at Panasonic - 9 kg NA-FS90X1 (around 27K :annoyed:).... But the best part it's width is just 540mm, which suits our space perfectly.
Any feedback on Pana washing machines ........... dunno what happenned to mouthshut.com (most reviews/products are outdated)

Panasonic machines don't have a hot water inlet- just a single inlet is all they have. If you do not intend to use hot water for washing, Panasonic can be considered.

panasonic makes good durable devices i suppose since it was national earlier.of the two nationals we have they have zero maintenance costs (AC and washing machine) and have served us very well. :)

Back