Wifie DEMANDS - 9kg+ Top Loading Washing Machine EDIT: Bought LG 7.5 kg T8018AEEP5

I would stay far from whirlpool, as their top loading model gave LOT of problems in last 8 years of usage, and the whirlpool service centres are worst of all, charged 500 for only power on/off button, they are so pathetic, and the machine itself is so badly built, it started rusting after 3 years and the tires were useless after some months. The build quality is totally pathetic in whirlpool that it cant compare in any ways to its half-priced competition at toploading fully automatic godrej one. The mechanical quality is even more pathetic, The electrical circuit board which holds buttons was also out of order in 3rd year and costed like 1500. So never go for whirlpool products, Panasonic sounds promising and for front loading IFB is your best best, been working for last 15 years in my home.

I would stay far from whirlpool, as their top loading model gave LOT of problems in last 8 years of usage, and the whirlpool service centres are worst of all, charged 500 for only power on/off button, they are so pathetic, and the machine itself is so badly built, it started rusting after 3 years and the tires were useless after some months. The build quality is totally pathetic in whirlpool that it cant compare in any ways to its half-priced competition at toploading fully automatic godrej one. The mechanical quality is even more pathetic, The electrical circuit board which holds buttons was also out of order in 3rd year and costed like 1500. So never go for whirlpool products, Panasonic sounds promising and for front loading IFB is your best best, been working for last 15 years in my home.

Thanks for sharing your valueable experience .... yes this is a common story in India. Once these products land up at home - It's ALWAYS our headache & nightmare (if anything goes wrong).
As I mentioned earlier Frontloading is not possible in the limitted space that we have.

panasonic makes good durable devices i suppose since it was national earlier.of the two nationals we have they have zero maintenance costs (AC and washing machine) and have served us very well. :)

There was nothing to beat the original National & their products (built to last a lifetime)

Panasonic machines don't have a hot water inlet- just a single inlet is all they have. If you do not intend to use hot water for washing, Panasonic can be considered.
- Hot water inlet use is not possible (as mentioned earlier)

I will be visiting Vijay Sales (Goregaon Hub) & Ezone + Chroma (Oberoi Mall) Goregaon, Mumbai this morning to do my further R&D. Will share my observations later.

Thanks so much TE folks.... hope to lock onto something by the next 2 days

I AM BACK TO SQUARE ONE - after visiting a host of showrooms (Vijaysales; Chroma; Ezone) & Samsung exclusive)

My main consideration was to find a large capacity top-loading machine within a width of max 580mm (58 cms) - owing to the fixed space restrictions.

The "sales-persons" at all these places are "pathetic" and harldly know much about anything at all - Thus it is very important to download the user-manual & check all possible things by one's own self.

What I Observed or learnt:-
1] The Panasonic 9kg NA-FX90S1 (or the 9kg NA-F90H2 & cheaper model) was the best bet - however I have to rule this one out because of one simple & silly thing - the "drain-hose" is positioned ONLY on the left or right side (and not at the rear/backside of the machine) - This will obviously not fit into the limited space that I have..... It would get jammed too tightly with the wall. Had I ordered this thing - it would have been a nightmare to get it replaced by another model/brand. I could not observe this fact in the showrooms as all such washing-machines are clubbed/stacked close to each other thereby limitting a 360 degree visual inspection.
This fact was clearly shown in the user-manual.
One other thing that I found was a flimsy - lint/dirt collection system (2 bags) which will get torn/damaged in no time. Otherwise technically this appears to be the best machine in it's range going for 28.5K.
The weekly/monthly system of home-self-maintenance was explained only in the manual (no sales person was aware of it).

2] All LG models of a decent capacity have a width of 590mm (way above my needs) ......... strangely, most of the Big-Showrooms in Mumbai have harly any LG washing machines on display.

3] Samsung - (my choices are now narrowed down to them) has 2 models of 7.5kgs which fit in my space. However the better model WA95BWPEH (Rs23.8K) has a good deal of negative feedback on their website itself WA95BWPEH - REVIEWS | SAMSUNG India . What do I do ? And the other 7.5 kg model WA95BWBEH - no reviews at all & hardly visible in any showroom (it's priced Rs 1050/- lesser than the PEH model)

Do I still go ahead and buy the PEH model ?

4] Is there any other brand worth considering (videocon; godrej & haier.....would like to stay away from; whirlpool .....last choice)?

5] Many online sites have a lot of "phased-out" models ?

6] No showroom will ever have all the models of any brand on display (and will only sell to customers what's available in their stocks; they will never place a single order for a customer as they buy in bulk to maximise their profits) - so it is possible that say X-Brand has a better model suited for your needs then we have to source it from any of the smaller shops (who will order it for you).

7] It's very difficult (or impossible) to find user reviews for specific models in the Indian diaspora .......... (loads of models are launched by each brand and phased out in no time)

8] User-manuals are not always available on their own websites & equivalent model no manuals have to be sourced from secondary websites.

Stuck in a "stinking mess" of clothes until some solution emerges :(

terry

Whats the depth of the panasonic washing machine? Can you rotate it by 90deg and still fit/operate it?

negative bro .....rotating it even 10deg is not possible ( depth is not an issue)...... further the pana is compounded by the side drain pipe (which will get jammed in the space that we have). Wish I was an expert in modding ......... wud have liked to have drilled a hole on the rear side to solve this problem:lol:

For w/m with drain pipes at the side... you can measure the extra space it will take in the place you will be fitting this.
First use a T join to redirect the side drain to front/back.
Count the extra space reqd by this Side drain + the T fitting.
If the wall next to which you are placing this w/m is not a balcony wall or a pillar then you can cut a cavity in the wall only for the space needed by the pipe.
This way atleast one of your condition will be relaxed. :)
I hope I was able to explain properly what I exactly meant :unsure:

Frankly speaking, there are no top-loading models above 7.5kg and having a width of 540mm or less (atleast not to my knowledge).
LG's base measures 540x540, Samsung's 540x560 (for models upto 7.5 kg)

You can take a look at Electrolux/ Videocon models at any Next store. Out of these two brands, I would personally go for Electrolux. Vijay Sales do stock Godrej models. The Godrej models are not entirely new and have been in the market for quite sometime.The smallest base I could find is of Electrolux Viva Logic Super ET62VSGD- measuring 515x525 (6.2 kgs). Reliability of these brands however, may be inferior to the brands that were under consideration initially (just my opinion).

If you need to check out Haier models, you can visit any Haier exclusive store, to see all the models. The one nearest to your place is at Santacruz west- Malaika's.

Regarding Samsung, all models upto 7.5 kgs have the same 330W motor. The drum suspension however might vary with the capacities. If I am not mistaken, there is a good 2k-3k price difference for every 0.5kg in the 6.5-7.5kg bracket. If you do not want features like "eco option" & all, I think a 7kg machine would be cost-effective than a 7.5kg one.

For w/m with drain pipes at the side... you can measure the extra space it will take in the place you will be fitting this

not wots w/m ??????

First use a T join to redirect the side drain to front/back.
Count the extra space reqd by this Side drain + the T fitting.

Was thinking of an L joint - In fact I am going to request someone (in their showroom) to upturn the whole bloomin machine so that I can have a first hand visual look to see what's possible

If the wall next to which you are placing this w/m is not a balcony wall or a pillar then you can cut a cavity in the wall only for the space needed by the pipe.
This way atleast one of your condition will be relaxed. :)

again w/m ????? the wall is of concrete and any such mod is a no... no... no :scared14:

I hope I was able to explain properly what I exactly meant :unsure:

lol ..... don't worry my head is already spinning :yahoo:

Frankly speaking, there are no top-loading models above 7.5kg and having a width of 540mm or less (atleast not to my knowledge).
LG's base measures 540x540, Samsung's 540x560 (for models upto 7.5 kg)

errrr .... I'm looking at max 580mm or less. But you are spot on the above observations

You can take a look at Electrolux/ Videocon models at any Next store. Out of these two brands, I would personally go for Electrolux. Vijay Sales do stock Godrej models. The Godrej models are not entirely new and have been in the market for quite sometime.The smallest base I could find is of Electrolux Viva Logic Super ET62VSGD- measuring 515x525 (6.2 kgs). Reliability of these brands however, may be inferior to the brands that were under consideration initially (just my opinion)

Will look into these brands with trepidation and a prayer on my lips :happy26: as my choices are limited now

If you need to check out Haier models, you can visit any Haier exclusive store, to see all the models. The one nearest to your place is at Santacruz west- Malaika's.

Haier - yes. I have always been fascinated by their pricing - will do my R&D need guts of steel to close a deal if convinced.

Regarding Samsung, all models upto 7.5 kgs have the same 330W motor. The drum suspension however might vary with the capacities. If I am not mistaken, there is a good 2k-3k price difference for every 0.5kg in the 6.5-7.5kg bracket. If you do not want features like "eco option" & all, I think a 7kg machine would be cost-effective than a 7.5kg one.

Thanks bro for all your practical viewpoints .... this will be a hectic week. But all Brand options are now open till I lock into something

W/M : Washing Machine.
T/L joint the same thing.

lol ..... don't worry my head is already spinning :yahoo:

Unfortunately your spinning head cant be used to wash/dry clothes ;)
I am watching this thread as it will help me too to make a informed decision when I buy my new w/m.
Surprisingly I never knew there is so much to consider about a w/m capacity. I have a 3.5kg semi automatic w/m from Videocon which I think can now be declared as a "Heritage model"
We operate it a couple of times in a week. But its still OK as it suffices 2 ppl.

this appears confusing ..... the dimensions........ (any explanations)..... scroll to the bottom
' + docTitle + titleAdd + 'Haier IN
all their models Width is >826 mm & Depth & Height is 540mm ........... surely an error somewhere :scared14:

Will have to check locally at malaika .......... the 8kg - HWM80-928NZP looks interesting

EDIT: Creepy ..... crap... this one's too got it's drain hose attached to the left or right side ...... so this too is OUT (is this the same for all Haier models) ????

I will post the exact dimensions for Haier once I get back home. I happen to have haier's washing machine catalogue.

When I checked out Haier washing machines, the models below 20k seemed too "tiny" to promise good wash quality. Also, the feedback from pressing the buttons on the panel was not confidence inspiring.

The 8kg model seemed over-priced to me with its price being around the 30k mark.

W/M : Washing Machine.
T/L joint the same thing..............
I am watching this thread as it will help me too to make a informed decision when I buy my new w/m.
Surprisingly I never knew there is so much to consider about a w/m capacity.

Oh brother...... google
Washing Machines Rated capacity
Tips on Buying/Using Top Loading Washing Machines
Efficient ways of using your Top Loading Washing Machine
Mistakes to avoid in using Top Loading Washing Machines

............. with newer technologies & tough competition manufacturer's use a lot of jargon to impress customers. However, at the end with most of today's multi-combination machines if we do not know how to use it optimally, we would face far greater problems in the long run.

Abroad you can get tech reports about the "total efficiency of each machine" - there are international standards & testing including the noise-levels during the wash/spin/rinse cycles. Here in India it's ............. zilch

negative bro .....rotating it even 10deg is not possible ( depth is not an issue)...... further the pana is compounded by the side drain pipe (which will get jammed in the space that we have). Wish I was an expert in modding ......... wud have liked to have drilled a hole on the rear side to solve this problem:lol:

Not sure if I was clear earlier. When the machine is rotated 90deg, the drain will not be to the wall but will face the direction you want it to.

Here are the dimensions of the Haier top load washing machines: [ as per 2012-washing machine catalogue]

Model NoWDH
XQB58-020500510882
HWM60-10500510882
HWM60-728500510888
HWM60-918NZP520520900
HWM65-728520530890
HWM65-828520539935
HWM70-918NZP540540920
HWM80-928NZP550560968

The 8kg model's dimensions seems to exceed your requirements.
Sir, if I understand your requirement correctly, you prefer a high capacity washing machine because of the bigger drum-which will help in better spreading (and hence, cleaning) of the clothes and not primarily because you intend to wash large lot sizes in one go. Given the fact that you want to restrict the width to 540mm, the purpose of going for a large drum gets negated as no such machine is available which meets these constraints.

Hence, I would like to tell you that you look for a 6.5kg or a 7kg machine at maximum. The extra money saved is worth the amount, given the fact that the dimensions of 6.5-7.5 kg machines are identical for Samsung and LG at least. The question that you should ask yourself is if you opt for a 7kg over a 7.5kg washing machine, will it necessitate extra running cycles on a weekly basis? If the answer is yes, you should opt for the 7.5kg instead of the 7kg one. Same holds true for the 6.5kg vs 7kg decision.

The next relevant question that arises is : Given the dimensions and mechanicals of 6.5-7.5 kg washing machines are the same, can't I "overload" a 7kg machine with a 7.5kg load? I feel, the answer is "No", because in a fully automatic washing machine, before starting the wash cycle, the dry load is sensed.

The point I want to stress upon is that choosing the capacity boils down to a trade-off between your actual average wash load and the initial investment.

Thanks a tonne @Chiranjib..... the info (actual dimensions) that you have provided me with is extremely valuable. I shall try to scout for a nearby showroom of Haier so that I could actually get to see most of their models (I live at Andheri-East; Takshila Colony & work at Ghatkopar-West).

And again I repeat my existing wm whirlpool has width of 565mm which fits fine (with the Drain Hose at the rear side)........... so the Haier 550mm should not pose any problem (except for the Drain Hose which is at the sides of this wm HWM80-928NZP)!!!

Also came across some 3 consumer complaints about Haier CONSUMER ALERT! - Haier Washing Machines average on consumer satisfaction level in its consumer report - Consumerdaddy.com (still this will not deter me from checking things out).

Still I can't figure out - WHY their 8kg model HWM80-928NZP mrp is around 30K :scared14: (it's far more expensive than 11kg Sammy & 9kg Pana too which are more superior Brands ...... in public domain)

Last edited by a moderator:
The Haier 8kg model is a direct drive one (as per catalogue), hence the high cost.

Frankly speaking, I am yet to come across a brand in India which has not faced criticism in the online forums, be it in washing machines or any other equipment. What I feel is with normal educated operation, any equipment from dependable brands should last a respectable number of years. For washing machines, the panel is the most susceptible part. I think with minimum interference and supply of voltage within tolerable limits (range can be as low as 210-240V for very sensitive panels), the problem related to panels can be countered.

The Haier 8kg model is a direct drive one (as per catalogue), hence the high cost.

Frankly speaking - I have'nt had the time to do my R&D about all the "different technologies" - Direct Drive motor vs others; Eco-Inverter by Pana; Wobble by Samsung; Pulsator; Turbo... etc...etc. Their efficiency levels vis-a-vis power/noise/water consumption

I also agree with you about "complaints & criticisms" ..... bUT we really have to fight our way through when things go wrong in India vs USA - where the consumer is truly King.

SHOULD I GRAB THIS ONLINE OFFER ......................... WASHING MACHINE for Rs100/- O N L Y Haier HWM80-928NZP | 8 Kg Washing Machine - Washing Machine - Home Appliances ITS A ONCE IN A LIFETIME OFFER :yahoo:

SHOULD I GRAB THIS ONLINE OFFER ......................... WASHING MACHINE for Rs100/- O N L Y Haier HWM80-928NZP | 8 Kg Washing Machine - Washing Machine - Home Appliances ITS A ONCE IN A LIFETIME OFFER :yahoo:

It is truly a once a lifetime offer! Should be grabbed immediately. But you would lose out on free shipping, as free shipping is valid for orders above Rs.500. :(
These fallacies in data are possible only in India where laws are not stringent. Pity that people don't apply their mind while creating/ updating such websites. I, infact, doubt the website itself!

EDIT: Even the AC's are priced at Rs.100/-. Seems like some serious SALE is going on!

Back