Wifie DEMANDS - 9kg+ Top Loading Washing Machine EDIT: Bought LG 7.5 kg T8018AEEP5

..........p.s. i have washed shoes, sandals, bags and various assorted items in this machine, works with almost anything. not very safe for delicate stuff with the agitator blades though.

Whoaaaa...now that's some daring stuff u tried out...... wot next convert it to a dishwasher too :p

One more thing I would like you to consider to achieve good wash results- arranging for a source of hot water to be fed to the machine. Detergents are known to best work in warm/ hot water and the wash quality is better. I know, you had previously mentioned in your post that getting a hot water connection is not possible. Water Heaters are available in various sizes nowadays and I would like you to drop this idea if it is absolutely not possible.

Is it possible for me to add some hot-water manually into the machine (in LG .... the powder is added while the lid is open & machine is powered ON) ?

Thing about semi-autos is that they don't really wash as well as the autos. the spinning pulsator at the bottom doesn't do much. and the tiny spin drum is quite pointless too. but hands down, the best wash is by a front loading tumble wash. just stick to cold water, heat cleans better but reduces fabric life.

I know that the newer machines have timers for almost everything, but what i want is to completely drop the little spin cycle at the end of every wash/rinse cycle. not the main spin cycle itself. and if only the time can be set then i would have it spin more than 5 seconds. the final spin can be 30 seconds, that's good enough and any more is just killing fabric.

thanks for the info from your end too.

not sure of what you exactly need but my national automatic has an option to turn off the spin cycles.

but then it wont become a fully automatic machine .:p

Whoaaaa...now that's some daring stuff u tried out...... wot next convert it to a dishwasher too :p

Hmm, crockery might break but steel plates might work :p

Is it possible for me to add some hot-water manually into the machine (in LG .... the powder is added while the lid is open & machine is powered ON) ?

It's very possible to run a fully auto like a semi. In fact i often do so. add more powder, add/remove clothes, etc. doesn't really matter. again, about the hot water, it cleans better, but will reduce fabric life. better stick to cold water unless it's absolutely essential to use hot.

not sure of what you exactly need but my national automatic has an option to turn off the spin cycles.

You mean the nationals can turn off the spins which occur between cycles? not talking about the last spin dry. any model nos?

The biggest threat in case of a automatic washing machine is its electronic control panel. If anything goes wrong with the panel and if the model is obsolete in the market, the machine may have to be disposed off as junk. 18-22K range is a safe bet for a top loader in this regard. I would recommend a stabilizer as well (to safeguard the panel) if the voltage is not stable in your area.

this is spot on.
I had videocon washing machine fully automatic bought in 2000 or so.
we ended up spending more than cost of machine over 3 yrs and ultimately put it in junk.
ECB is most culprit and make sure its covered with manufacturer's warranty for at least 3 yrs.

Yes, you can add hot water from the top, subject to certain considerations:

Hot water should not be added at the beginning alongwith the dry clothes for two reasons:
1. In the absence of cold water, it may deform plastic parts if the temperature is above 50C
2. The hot water will add onto the weight of the dry clothes and the machine may give "overload" error during sensing the weight of dry clothes, although the actual load the clothes may not exceed rated capacity.

Hence, put in the clothes, add detergent, let the machine fill and once the motor starts, you can pause, add hot water and resume the cycle. I think this should work out.
Also, never add steaming water to be on the safe side.

LG - Wash Machine Direct Drive 7.5kg Deal Clinched

Clinched the deal (at last :yahoo:) ...... and it's

LG 7.5kg - Top Loader T8018AEEP5 for Rs 31000/-

Will be delivered this evening......[EDIT: Delivered at 16:30 hrs] I have'nt disclosed the final price to my wifey as yet (she wud think I'm :crazy:). I only told her it would be around 25-30K....... Do you guys see sign's of a thunderstorm or twister's :juggle: ahead in my life !!!! Dunno if the stains from the hole I burnt in my pocket wud ever get cleant by this machine :scared14:

Ok ..... I got it from the LG-Shoppe at Santacruz-East. M.R.P was Rs 35450 & offer price was Rs 33250..... bargained for 31K (after exchange of old wm).

Now, as to the price-differential (mrp on the website) - I was told that LG post's mrp ONLY when a product is launched & does not update the prices thereafter :annoyed: ...... then in the meantime rising production cost's (steel + copper + crap...crap...CRAP & the $$$$ rates....Blah, blah + possibility of it going higher up on the next stock !!!!). Secondly - this particular model (7.5 kg was unavailable in all the places that I had checked earlier ...... so the MRP was not known till the end)

I need to thank a whole lot of folks on TE for helping me sort out the various issues and nitty-gritty involved in making this decision (this deal for a better technology & washing performance meant spending almost 10K more than opting for a regular model) .......... only time would tell if this was the best choice I could have made.

Will give a more detailed feedback after I see the performance for a week or so.

until then ...... cheers

lg-top-load-washing-machine-t8018aeep5-large.jpg

Congrats....
Like U already said... "only time would tell if this was the best choice I could have made."
Hope there are enuf dirty linen lying around to test this machine... :) Post a review soon... U can be the first one to show off a washing machine in the galleries.... haven't seen any in long time :)
Happy washing... The clothes will surely get a wash... but how about u getting some after u disclose the price to ur wife ;-)

Congratulations!
Wish you a trouble-free experience with the machine.

Please post a detailed review and the photos (preferably in Show-Off section) once you have put the machine through the tests. I think you are the first TE member to possess a direct-drive top-loader.

On a side note, it's better to not disclose the actual price to not-so-tech-savvy members of your family and friends. If they fail to appreciate the technology, I'm sure they'll make you feel you have spent more than required, which will in no way better your mood and patch up the hole made in your pocket. Just my thought :)

Congratulations!
Wish you a trouble-free experience with the machine.

Please post a detailed review and the photos (preferably in Show-Off section) once you have put the machine through the tests. I think you are the first TE member to possess a direct-drive top-loader.

lol.... I wud have been happier with an Ivy-Bridge + 24GB RAM + 256 SSD + Quadro 2000 (jus joking ;)) ..... all this will have to wait [most likely Haswell will b out by then ..... :annoyed:]

On a side note, it's better to not disclose the actual price to not-so-tech-savvy members of your family and friends. If they fail to appreciate the technology, I'm sure they'll make you feel you have spent more than required, which will in no way better your mood and patch up the hole made in your pocket. Just my thought :)

Glad that my wifey does not frequent TE :yahoo: ....... BUT ON A MORE SERIOUS NOTE .... Why are'nt there any Gal's out here on TE :bleh:

terence_fdes , could you confirm if your WM cleans dirty collars and cuffs without pre scrubbing . The collars and cuffs needs to fully clean after wash .
Please let us know the results and how long does it take to clean like this ?

terence_fdes , could you confirm if your WM cleans dirty collars and cuffs without pre scrubbing . The collars and cuffs needs to fully clean after wash .
Please let us know the results and how long does it take to clean like this ?

I have used the LG WM only twice so far using "Tide" detergent (not the very best IMHO). The results have been quite satisfactory (not saying "excellent" as yet because I have to use a better detergent & find some clothes that are really-dirty :unsure:)

What is excellent is that the machine is almost "silent" and even when the spin-cycle is on it's barely audible beyond 6-8 feet (wish I had a decibel meter to check the noise ;)). So far I have used only the Fuzzy mode (fully automatic & for a medium load it took 37 mins & another 45 mins)....... so, for the next few occassions, I intend to run through most of the other programmed wash functions & lastly try the fully manual option. If one has to wash just 2-3 clothes (not trousers/jeans) - the duration is just 20-22 mins.

What is also interesting is that for any mode the wash/rinse/spin cycles (Timing) can be altered/modified even after the WM has been started.

Will keep making my notes so that I can post a more detailed review after a few days.

Sorry for the late replies but i was out of town.

I thought hot water is only to be used with steel drums?

Cheers for the info mate !

and terence_fdes congrats on your pricey purchase ! :p

Thanks buddy. The LG Direct Drive wm's peformance is just great so far...... (still have to run through all it's possible wash programs). Wifey has'nt started operating it as yet :annoyed:

It's super-duper silent (in fact I keep checking it on and off to see if it's running :scared14: ). I have tried various manual options - extending wash time; doubling/tripling rinse times & trying to cut-out "spin" - Doing the last somehow does not drain out the water ...... need to check this part again wrt the User Manual.

Jotting down these notes so as to do a better "review/report" of this washing machine .......... soon.

I thought hot water is only to be used with steel drums?

Yes, hot water option is given with machines having steel drums only. However, not all parts inside are made of metal and there are plastic parts as well (for example, the impeller), which may get deformed if excessively hot water is used.

@terence_fdes

I am also planning to buy a top loader, may be 6.5 Kg version of what you bought.
Can you tell me where have you bought the machine in Mumbai and how is the performance so far?

Last edited by a moderator:
terence_fdes

I am also planning to buy a top loader, may be 6.5 Kg version of what you bought.
Can you tell me where have you bought the machine in Mumbai and how is the performance so far?

The machine was purchased from LG Shoppe at Santacruz-East (close the the Highway on the road leading to the station), you can bargain too ;)

Performance - It's been extremely satisfying. It's super silent. My wifey has'nt tried it as yet on her own.

Only problem with these gizmo's these days is that there are so many, many "functions" and various mix-n-match combinations of washing that the user-manual does not clearly specify. So make sure you are ready with all your questions when the guy comes for a demo (just one time only).

I am trying to figure out how to cut-out the "spin" option completely & yet drain out all the water too - using the manual mode. Like yesterday, when I washed some heavy clothes - water lever on 7 ( a pair of jeans + bedsheets, I ran the "soak" mode first for 65 mins and then kept it on standby - power goes off which is normal ). I started the wm again after an hour (it displayed 47 mins total time), when the spinning started the machine was shaking violently - I terminated the program (17 mins were still left). The wm at my place is kept on firm & level ground, so I can't figure out why the whole machine was shaking ..... The clothes were washed & rinsed perfectly even at the interrupted wash cycle.

So these are some issues that I have to sort out.

Cheers

I am trying to figure out how to cut-out the "spin" option completely & yet drain out all the water too - using the manual mode. Like yesterday, when I washed some heavy clothes - water lever on 7 ( a pair of jeans + bedsheets, I ran the "soak" mode first for 65 mins and then kept it on standby - power goes off which is normal ). I started the wm again after an hour (it displayed 47 mins total time), when the spinning started the machine was shaking violently - I terminated the program (17 mins were still left). The wm at my place is kept on firm & level ground, so I can't figure out why the whole machine was shaking ..... The clothes were washed & rinsed perfectly even at the interrupted wash cycle.

In some machine I had used a few years ago, don't remember the make or model, keeping the lid open before a spin cycle would allow the water to drain but then error beep before starting to spin. Then would cancel the spin manually.

Shaking happens when the clothes in the drum are off-balance and the machine then tries to spin. Sometimes, they get tangled and in a weird position when the wash stops and thereby offset in the drum.

Julian;1694701............. Shaking happens when the clothes in the drum are off-balance and the machine then tries to spin. Sometimes said:
Agreed this was the case precisely..... Moreover everything was on heavy mode.... The shaking thingy is not a normal thing to happen naaa ????

Back