Win XP/Ubuntu dual boot

nac

Adept
I am newbie to LINUX. I just wanna install LINUX, already i have Windows XP Professional SP2 intalled(Dont wanna format and install fresh)

I read some threads here and some from other sites about HOW TO INSTALL TRIPLE/MULTI/DUAL BOOT. Finally everything made me to confuse a lot.

UBUNTU - Here is my first doubt. Can i install UBUNTU?? Because some says Mandriva is better and most uses Ubuntu. If not Ubuntu, give me some choice or what i should do?

Some threads asked to download GPartED which aids Partitioning. And some says no need of GPartED in case of Ubuntu 8.04. GPartED needed for older version of like Ubuntu7... Here I need some clarification. Is it only for Ubuntu 8.04 or even for later version of Ubuntu or better i use GPartED no matter whatever LINUX is. Now I have Ubuntu 8.10.

Here i am giving a link for your reference. This is the place i see no need of GPartED.
How to dual boot Windows XP and Linux (XP installed first) -- the step-by-step guide with screenshots

Here is my next doubt. I read LINUX won't read NTFS and we need to partition in EXT2/3/4 with the help of GPartED.
And i read Ubuntu is happy to read NTFS and no need of creating extended partition to install LINUX. Now what should i do? Will Ubuntu read EXT3 format?
I am confusing here. One says like this "Today most Linux Distribution comes with Guided Mode.. This mode help you resize the largest partition and automatically create / and swap partitions but I always prefer Manual Partitioning .. To create a partition use the Gparted Partition Editor and create 2 partitions of 4-8 Gb for Base and 1-2 Gb for Swap"
Now what i should do? Go for manual partioning with the help of GPartEd. or Go for guided mode option.
Ok if i am using GPartEd, should i burn it like we burn OS CDs?

Is this possible to burn DVDs? (What this statement says "The best part of having a Linux at your end is that you don't have worry about carrying CD/DVD case with you") Did it mean that DVD can never been burned in LINUX?
How to install/Uninstall applications? (I have read threads but still i am in need of some better explanation. Some usefull links will be appreciated)
Is this possible to uninstall LINUX? If yes, How? Is it complicated process? I dont wanna end up with lossing datas.

It may look like a simple thing for advanced user since i am beginner i happened to start this thread.
Better explanation (In detail) needed.
Try to avoid shortforms like "btw" because i dont understand some.
TE members may need more patience to answer/clarify my questions/doubts. I believe i will some good responses.
SORRY for making you to do this and THANK YOU for your time you gonna spend to answer/clarify.

Note: For my system configuration (if needed) please check my rig in rig gallery

Ubuntu is currently the better choice.choose the Gnome version(Ubuntu).kde is not really doing well these days.

you need to make a 8-10 GB "/" partition and a 1GB swap partition if hdd got space.but that is not a must.choose manual partition edit while installing.

package(software) management is much more better in most Linux distributions(distros).

ntfs read/write is supported.all are just myths.everything is possible.you boldly go and try! :D

you may like to read this:

Linux is NOT Windows.

If you have Xp installed and all you are planning to do is add Ubuntu... you should just be able to install ubuntu onto the partition of your choice.

Ubuntu will automatically add windows xp to Grub (which is what Ubuntu uses as a menu to select the OS to boot to.)

During installing ubuntu when it starts up the partition program make sure that you carefully pick the correct guided option to format your partition space for Ubuntu to install to.

Of course back up as much as you can you never know when things don't go as planned. :)

Also as mentioned above, Wubi is the Widows installer for Ubuntu and is supposed to be pretty simple, just go to the ubuntu website for more info.

prakashan said:
Ubuntu is currently the better choice.choose the Gnome version(Ubuntu).kde is not really doing well these days.

Fine. I have Ubuntu 8.10. I guess it is GNOME version. (Am i right???)
rapt0r said:
If you are new and don't want to mess with partitions yet you can safely opt for vmware or use Wubi in ubuntu .

Better i use WUBI but still i have few doubts

I have partitioned my HDD like this:

C: Windows XP
D: This is the place i install all the applications like MS Office etc...
E: Place where i keep media files
F: Documents, Images, Set up files
G: Miscellaneous

Now i don't wanna touch "C:" drive. And better i take "G:" drive to install Ubuntu.

PiXeLpUsHeR said:
If you have Xp installed and all you are planning to do is add Ubuntu... you should just be able to install ubuntu onto the partition of your choice.

Is this possible? Or Should i install Ubuntu in the drive where i installed windows xp (C:)?

if ur last drive has enough space (dunno how much bt consider 15GB..)

then go by defaults options in latest ubuntu n it will do what u are willing to..automatically.

Install Ubuntu in another drive .. It will add Xp entry in Grub Boot List !!!..

Since you are new get Mandriva , ubuntu can irritate you with Command Line :p

For more info http://www.techenclave.com/guides-and-tutorials/things-to-know-before-using-linux-117029.html http://www.techenclave.com/open-source/ubuntu-vs-mandriva-clash-of-titans-127701.html

Mandriva will provide multimedia [most of them] out of the box.. and the easy Control System will make you feel like home :)_

Here is my next doubt. I read LINUX won't read NTFS and we need to partition in EXT2/3/4 with the help of GPartED.

All linux read all kinds of partitions including NTFS.. Ext , Xfs, Jfs are journalised partitiosn and run like charm in Linux while they don't work natively in LInux.. So if you install Linux , you that partition won't be visible in Windows...

I never risked my data never messed it up .. I always used Manual partitioning , all you need s better approach ..

From where are you reading those things :lol: Yes you can burn DVD.. and I find it easier than using that cramped Nero :lol:

If you are planning to use Mandriva do not forget to install Brasero :)

madnav said:
if ur last drive has enough space (dunno how much bt consider 15GB..)
then go by defaults options in latest ubuntu n it will do what u are willing to..automatically.

Yes i do have space of over 25GB in that drive.

Dark Star said:
Install Ubuntu in another drive .. It will add Xp entry in Grub Boot List !!!..

Fine. I do that.

Dark Star said:
Since you are new get Mandriva , ubuntu can irritate you with Command Line :p

For more info http://www.techenclave.com/guides-and-tutorials/things-to-know-before-using-linux-117029.html http://www.techenclave.com/open-source/ubuntu-vs-mandriva-clash-of-titans-127701.html

Mandriva will provide multimedia [most of them] out of the box.. and the easy Control System will make you feel like home :)_

First recommendation to get mandriva:huh:

Dark Star said:
All linux read all kinds of partitions including NTFS.. Ext , Xfs, Jfs are journalised partitiosn and run like charm in Linux while they don't work natively in LInux.. So if you install Linux , you that partition won't be visible in Windows...

After i install LINUX, windows wont show the files and folders in the drive i installed LINUX:huh:

Dark Star said:
From where are you reading those things :lol: Yes you can burn DVD.. and I find it easier than using that cramped Nero :lol:

If you are planning to use Mandriva do not forget to install Brasero :)

:huh: So if i am installing ubuntu, i dont need any kind of burning softwares????:huh:

I will still stay get Mandriva. It way to better for starters .. Yes the Linux Partition won't be visible in Widows .. You can try these 3 software to make it work in Windows Ext2 IFS For Windows | Access to Ext2/Ext3 from Windows XP | chrysocome.net - Explore2fs

Get KDE 4 its news and suttle.. But it want something very simple then download Mandriva 2009.0 Gnome Edition... Its has everything...

I recommended you to install Brasero as the KDE burner i.e. K3b is not yet ready for KDE 4 thats why MDV ditched CD burner for KDE version....

Arrey why are you getting so confused .. Try the LIVE Cd 1'st download both Mandriva and Ubuntu and you will see the difference :p

another newcomer who has to pick from the distro crowd :D

i would suggest since you already have 8.10 install that, make sure you backup your data. you can get to learn linux a little then you can download other distros like mandriva and fedora and install those...

anyways in 2-3 months the new releases of these distros will come out with latest software versions and stuff like KDE 4.2 by default and fast bootup times etc.... so you will be reinstalling the latest yet again :)

see ,GNU/Linux is also a operating system;since some confusions are there.It also got music players,video players,cd/dvd burning tools,almost everything window$ have but lacking in few proffessional grade tools(PS,3dmax etc).that's it.you install ,select manual partition method .

there are few sources which shows screenshots tour of Ubuntu Installation.

Let me find one for you especially showing the manual partition method which is where most newbies got confused:

Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex Install

Essential Ubuntu 8.04 guides and manuals

--

after the installation part ,you may like to read

Ubuntu:Intrepid - for some Tips and Tricks :)

Ubuntu of course. Dont go for Mandriva.

To Read And Write NTFS in Linux you should just use HAL or Add following Lines to the file located at /etc/fstab

Nautilus is like Windows Explorer. A.k.A Linux Explorer, to be precise Gnome Explorer. In newb Terms.

First Press ALT+F2.
Type sudo nautils
Go to /media
Create folders like XP, GAMES, Softwares, Music etc. in /media
Then Navigate to /etc/fstab
Open This FSTAB file in Gedit via Nautiuls

Then at bottom add following line

/dev/sda1 /media/xp ntfs-3g defaults 0 0
/dev/sda2 /media/software ntfs-3g defaults 0 0
/dev/sda3 /media/games ntfs-3g defaults 0 0

These are just example... Am assuming you put all games in sda3 which may be F:\ etc...

sda1 is usually C:\ And sda2 is D:\ and so on. Figure this out yourself.

And to access your Ext3/Ext2 (usually your Linux) Partitions in Windows Vista use this software. It works for Ext3, Don't worry.

This is A FreeWare.

Ext2 IFS For Windows

^^Why not Mandriva ? It makes thing easier than buntu , it mounts partition by default has better graphical system tools and all ..

Please note that Ubuntu doesn't auto mount partitions by default for that you have to install ntfs-config

@dark-star:Ubuntu auto mounts partitions.but isn't it comfy by mounting only when you need? Ubuntu DOES IT BETTER :cool:

I think HAL does the job of mounting.you just open nautilus and your Linux/ntfs partitions also will be mounted by just clicking once on the LHS Side showing paritions.for unmounting ,click once on the eject icon shown on mounted partitions :

see the nautilus screenshot:

3497907f7bc012c23d838da735cd036b11adc17.png

I have not used Ubuntu Since long.

Does the new Ubuntu Come with HAL ??

Dark Star said:
^^Why not Mandriva ? It makes thing easier than buntu , it mounts partition by default has better graphical system tools and all ..

Please note that Ubuntu doesn't auto mount partitions by default for that you have to install ntfs-config

The Ubuntu Forums are great. And Ubuntu is all over the internet. And solutions to all problems are just a Single Google Search !

You have lots of tutorials/guides for Ubuntu. That's why. I mean support. That's why I recommend Ubuntu to many new Linux enthusiasts.

It already comes loong back :) .mounting every partitions by editing /etc/fstab ,editing xorg.conf is kind of rare these days ;)

OT: where is ujjwal? He seems to be really knowledgeable about GNU/Linux everyway.has he left this forum? :S

Dark Star said:
Yes the Linux Partition won't be visible in Widows .. You can try these 3 software to make it work in Windows Ext2 IFS For Windows | Access to Ext2/Ext3 from Windows XP | chrysocome.net - Explore2fs

I think i'll go with EXT2 IFS for WINdows

Dark Star said:
Try the LIVE Cd 1'st download both Mandriva and Ubuntu and you will see the difference :p

I think i should do this. Thank u for this suggestion. Let me get mandriva now. Then i myself can review which is better (in my perception)
prakashan said:
Let me find one for you especially showing the manual partition method which is where most newbies got confused:
Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex Install

Essential Ubuntu 8.04 guides and manuals
--
after the installation part ,you may like to read
Ubuntu:Intrepid - for some Tips and Tricks :)

Nice links... I guess this will do a lot. Thanks a lot..

a_k_s_h_a_y said:
To Read And Write NTFS in Linux you should just use HAL or Add following Lines to the file located at /etc/fstab

Nautilus is like Windows Explorer

Can u please bit more clear about HAL, NAUTILUS?
Its bit difficult to understand when hear the new terms. And it looks like that they are greek or latin to me.
Nautilus is a file manager (but still i need some brief explanation)
And what is HAL?

Dark Star said:

What do u mean by mounting? (I google it and found some results but still i Need some explanation)
prakashan said:
@dark-star:Ubuntu auto mounts partitions.but isn't it comfy by mounting only when you need? Ubuntu DOES IT BETTER :cool:

If this is the case, i dont need to bother a lot about mounting, i guess.???

Back