Win XP/Ubuntu dual boot

Hi! its good...:clap:
I haven't install any drivers software or any other applications but still i can able to create/open/save documents.:clap:
listen songs. :clap:
I like this clock shows with seconds.:clap:
more important firefox, internet connection.

Whats the password?
When i click system log, it asks for password. What is it?
is there is any player to run .avi, mpeg4 etc???

Yes, its system log under the option called SYSTEM. When i click it, it asks for password.
Or it just asks because i am running it in live mode.:huh:

Should i install in the order u said.. like
1. dragaon player
2. SMplayer

or i can choose one???

I can't able to install softwares. Is this because of LIVE mode???

And one noteable thing...
I just kept the cursor on the .mp3 file, mandriva played that song. Its amazing:clap: :clap:

nac said:
Should i install in the order u said.. like
1. dragaon player
2. SMplayer
You can choose one.SMPlayer is better IMO.[/QUOTE]
nac said:
I can't able to install softwares. Is this because of LIVE mode???
You need to set up and refresh software repositories [place from where mandriva downloads softwares].No point installing any software or setting repos on LiveCD since your changes won't be saved for next time.Better install mandriva to hard drive first.
nac said:
I just kept the cursor on the .mp3 file, mandriva played that song. Its amazing
Welcome aboard to GNOME experience.Hope you enjoy it.! :)

Dark Star said:
If you are planning to use Mandriva do not forget to install Brasero :)

Brasero is in-built with MANDRIVA LINUX 2009 GNOME VERSION 2.24.:clap:

Please find the attachment for snapshot of that menu.

Attachments

• Menu (3).JPG
    Menu (3).JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 108
why afaik k3b was the best dvd writing tool :S !I think migration to kde4 took the toll on k3b.

--

I use Gnome baker mostly.

Finally i installed MANDRIVA ONE LINUX 2009 KDE.

Now i need solution to the following problem.

Internet is not working in windows xp after installing mandriva. but i am able to work in mandriva.

Connection to PC/USB flash light (In the modem) is ON when i work in mandriva.

But its OFFwhen i work in windows xp.

What went wrong? what i should do?

Installation process was quite smooth. I dont think there was error while installing.

I installed mandriva in a separate partition.

Reply at once. I am not able to surf.

I have so many queries, i will ask you guys later.

First i need to clear this up

I hope its not that Intel onboard ethernet firmware/driver corruption issue, search online for solutions if it is...

Or could it be Mandriva uses something like UPnP to automatically modify your modem/router settings which made it incompatible with XP, check modem settings and compare with XP LAN settings and update...

I want windows xp FIRST in GRUB. (

This is what i have now

linux (/boot/vmlinuz)

linux-nonfb (/boot/vmlinuz)

failsafe (/boot/vmlinuz)

windows (/dev/sda1)

2.6.27-desktop586rc8-2mnb (/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-desktop586-0.rc8.2mnb)

desktop586 2.6.27.14-1mnb (/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27.14-desktop586-1mnb)

how to edit?or move

i have installed smplayer but still .avi file is not running (not all the files) but these are doing good in kmplayer (windows) i just hear the audio no videos

Is this possible to bring IE7 here to mandriva? if yes, how??

In this KDE version i finding bit hard to access HDD. It will be good if have the option like in GNOME version. I want them to be on my desktop.

How to set wallpaper (like we set in windows) here in mandriva it has some choice. i am not able bring the image i have in my system

And the audio are low. I mean its not as sound as i hear in windows. What could be the reason?

Downloaded files are saving in desktop. but i dont see them in desktop. I am accessing them by using dolphin file manager. How make it visible in desktop?

nac said:
I want windows xp FIRST in GRUB. (

This is what i have now

linux (/boot/vmlinuz)

linux-nonfb (/boot/vmlinuz)

failsafe (/boot/vmlinuz)

windows (/dev/sda1)

2.6.27-desktop586rc8-2mnb (/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-desktop586-0.rc8.2mnb)

desktop586 2.6.27.14-1mnb (/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27.14-desktop586-1mnb)

how to edit?or move

i have installed smplayer but still .avi file is not running (not all the files) but these are doing good in kmplayer (windows) i just hear the audio no videos

Is this possible to bring IE7 here to mandriva? if yes, how??

In this KDE version i finding bit hard to access HDD. It will be good if have the option like in GNOME version. I want them to be on my desktop.

How to set wallpaper (like we set in windows) here in mandriva it has some choice. i am not able bring the image i have in my system

And the audio are low. I mean its not as sound as i hear in windows. What could be the reason?

Downloaded files are saving in desktop. but i dont see them in desktop. I am accessing them by using dolphin file manager. How make it visible in desktop?

1. Open Mandriva control center and select boot tab . Now click on setup boot system .. Click on Windows entry and make it default.. The system will now boot into windows by default.. Avoid editing /boot/grub/menu.lst you can get haphazard..

2. Hm... Install PLF Repos. media from Easy Urpmi

After that open Add/Remove and install these packages .. libdvdcss2 , win32-codecs , real-codecs ...

Also make sure compiz is not on.. There was some issue with Compiz and video playbackk..

3. Ok add the Folder View widget from the panel on the top-right hand sire of screen.. Right click on it and point the mouse to create a new link to hard drive.. Add the link to hard drive change name and you are done..

4. Right click on desktop - > Appearance .. Browse the file incase its not listing properly navigate to /media folder there you will see several folders with name hd1 , hd2 and so on.. These are the mounted partitions of hard drive . open and add the wallpaper...

5. Ok look the volume icon the panel , lower right corner of the screen.. Click on it and open Kmix or Volume manager .. Increase all the levels. example PCM, Front and all..

6. The folder view is configred incorrectly .. Right click on folder view and select it to view Desktop..

Also IE is the most pathetic browser I had ever seen till date even the 8 and 7 version. If you are not satisfied with FF try Konqueror or Opera.. Konqueror cam installed by default.. For downloading purpose use kget .. Press ALT + F2 and type kget .. Now it will be started every time when you start Mandirva.. Its simple and powerful tool support metalink, torrent and several useful features :)

Also I think you have downloaded the Gnome version.. Please stop hopping and settle down on one :p You will not be able to get used to either Gnome or KDE if you do this :p

nac said:

What is your hardware.Is it a HDA Intel Onboard sound card?If yes ,you have to wait for latest ALSA drivers.

Had your problems with LAN CARD Solved?Is yours a Asus Motherboard(p5gc-mx/1333 to be precise?) with Atheros L1 lan card?

as @darkstar said ,stick with one Desktop Environment(I will say Gnome) .Good Luck.

Dark Star said:
1. Open Mandriva control center and select boot tab . Now click on setup boot system .. Click on Windows entry and make it default.. The system will now boot into windows by default.. Avoid editing /boot/grub/menu.lst you can get haphazard..

Fine. I do that

Dark Star said:
2. Hm... Install PLF Repos. media from Easy Urpmi

Done

Dark Star said:
After that open Add/Remove and install these packages .. libdvdcss2 , win32-codecs , real-codecs ...

Installed

Dark Star said:
Also make sure compiz is not on.. There was some issue with Compiz and video playbackk..

I believe i didnt turned on. while installation i check NO DESKTOP... there was other two options (metisse and compiz). If i wanna check whether compiz is turned on or not.How i can check? Because still i dont see any videos in SM player and audio too. Dragon player plays only audio. Totem-automatically closed as soon as i open a file with totem.

Found, Its not turned on. Its still NO 3D DESKTOP ENVIRONMENT

Dark Star said:
3. Ok add the Folder View widget from the panel on the top-right hand sire of screen.. Right click on it and point the mouse to create a new link to hard drive.. Add the link to hard drive change name and you are done..

Done

Dark Star said:
4. Right click on desktop - > Appearance .. Browse the file incase its not listing properly navigate to /media folder there you will see several folders with name hd1 , hd2 and so on.. These are the mounted partitions of hard drive . open and add the wallpaper...

I dont find any option called appearance but somehow i fixed wallpaper of my choice.

Dark Star said:
5. Ok look the volume icon the panel , lower right corner of the screen.. Click on it and open Kmix or Volume manager .. Increase all the levels. example PCM, Front and all..

Done. That very tiny portion gives so much sound....:rofl:

Dark Star said:
6. The folder view is configred incorrectly .. Right click on folder view and select it to view Desktop..

Yes. Do i have any choice to move that layer like window (folder view)??

Dark Star said:
Also IE is the most pathetic browser I had ever seen till date even the 8 and 7 version. If you are not satisfied with FF try Konqueror or Opera.. Konqueror cam installed by default.. For downloading purpose use kget .. Press ALT + F2 and type kget .. Now it will be started every time when you start Mandirva.. Its simple and powerful tool support metalink, torrent and several useful features :)

Perhaps, but i need IE, because the site i visit need to be opened in IE or just say error. For eg: some official websites

Dark Star said:
Also I think you have downloaded the Gnome version.. Please stop hopping and settle down on one :p You will not be able to get used to either Gnome or KDE if you do this :p

Yes, i did downloaded Gnome. But i like the visuals and some other features in KDE. Since i have said that i have installed mandriva KDE, it means that i settled down.:)

I will not jump here and there...

prakashan said:
What is your hardware.Is it a HDA Intel Onboard sound card?If yes ,you have to wait for latest ALSA drivers.
Had your problems with LAN CARD Solved?Is yours a Asus Motherboard(p5gc-mx/1333 to be precise?) with Atheros L1 lan card?

as @darkstar said ,stick with one Desktop Environment(I will say Gnome) .Good Luck.

Problem solved but i dont know whether its a LAN CARD problem or configuration error
yes it is 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller
I guess its Atheros L2 100 Mbit Ethernet Adapter

that's it.your atheros L2 card is the reason ,earlier windows can't connect to net.it corrupted the firmware.no problem :D .this was a known problem with distros coming with old kernels.Hopefully ,it won't happen again.

HDA-Intel Audio under GNU/Linux has this problem recently with pulseaudio as core sound server.This may have been fixed in latest ALSA driver.

Back