Windows 7 Beta Observations and Screenshots

I have been using Windows 7 Beta for the past 2 days, and decided to start this thread with my observations and screenshots. If you guys want to know anything about the beta or want any screenshot of any of the apps, let me know. I will post it.
The observations and screenshots are all random, no sequence or order.
Observations-

* The Notes gadget is missing. But the Sticky Notes app is supposed to take over the Notes gadget. It is better than Notes gadget, but stays in the taskbar all the time!

* The install size is really really small. When i last checked, after using it for a day, installing Windows Live Essentials, Nokia apps, Anti Virus, Messengers, The space used by the system was just 10GB.

* The Internet games which were present in XP have made a comeback.

* Wordpad supports DocX documents, but does not support Doc Documents. I think this is a very smart movie, and will probably make the biggest push in the new format being used by the users.

Added January 3rd -

* iTunes works fine on Windows 7. Only issue i had was that while adding tracks to my library, the RAM usage went 100MB+! I uninstalled it soon after as i do not use iTunes.

* Norton AV 09 needs to be installed in Vista compatibility mode otherwise it does not start after the first restart.

* There 3 new regional themes hidden inside the "Globalization folder" which you can use just by opening them once! Now why not provide them for all the users! They are just a different colored Aero theme with a different set of Wallpapers slideshow.

* The uPnP works out of the box i.e you can control the Windows Media Player using your N-series phones without the need for a media server application. I could not get this to work on Vista! I played tracks on my N85 via Windows Media Player.

Added - Janurary 5

* DivX support has been added out of the box. Though some of the movies still need proper DivX codec, most probably cause of different encoders used.

* Bluetooth dongles now work out of the box by default, without the need for IVT Bluesoleil drivers or software! Though the IVT suite will offer enhaced functionality, but atleast now you will be able to use your bluetooth even if you do not want to install the whole suite!

* Task Manager now shows the amount of Free & Cached memory. This might not make a difference to of us who know what superfetching is, but i have many friends who grumbled about vista using up whatever memory is offered to it when it was just launched! This is a better approach even otherwise.

* Windows 7 has something nice and very helpfull called the troubleshooters. Details and screenshots for that have been posted in another thread, do check that out too.
http://www.techenclave.com/operatin...ubleshooters-allow-windows-search-125543.html

* The taskbar buttons light up in a shade matching to the color of the icon when the mouse hovers on the buttons, which looks nice and makes it easier to differentiate between them. So the uTorrent buttons lights up in a green shade, Firefox button lights up in orange, Opera in Red, IE in blue and similar. A very nice touch

* A whitish background illumination follows your mouse on the taskbar buttons.

Added January 8th

* WMP also plays MP4 and 3gp videos be default,Without the need for quicktime. This, combined with DivX support, shall go a long way in making the devices work easily and withouth much effort on Windows 7. Since most of the Digital Cams and Handy Cams record videos in these formats only, supporting these formats out of the box would mean immediate playback of these videos as soon as the devices are plugged in!

* Windows 7 has DirectX 11!!! Damn, i had not checked it till today. I think this issue was disputed as people were not sure whether it would be there.

Added Janurary 10

* Fastest speeds while copying to external drive. I am getting 33.5kbps while copying files from my computer to my external. This is 10% than Vista, and i dont remember XPs speed, but i dont think it was this fast.

* The progress bar indicator background in the taskbar buttons is another example of productivy tweaks incorporated in Windos 7. To those complaining that XP is lighter in RAM usage and in raw bechmarks, it is such tweaks which need to be taken into consideration. The RAM usage and the raw benchmarks would take a hit due to cosmetic changes like these, but in real world use, in XP, this would mean a 2 3 second each time you want to check the progress, but over here, you are not wasting your 3 seconds having to deviate from your current task at hand and checking the progress!

* "Safely Remove Hardware" functionality has also received the much needed easy of use upgrade. I am attaching screenshots to make it clear.

* "New Folder" button is back in the Explorer task pane, after it had been removed in Vista. I missed this small button a lot in Vista!

* Some new control panel applets like Location Sensor, Credentials hint at some interesting possibilities once they are made use of! Screenshots attached.

* Even after nearly 2 weeks of use, i have to add that the menus still open as quickly as they did the first day! Really really responsive!

* The Ribbon interface in the Paint application is really a huge improvement for the application, i just hope they would have added more functionality to Paint. Check the screenshots.
Screenshots
windowsdiscimageburnerzz7.jpg

Support for burning disc images has been added.
windows7wordpaddy1.jpg

Wordpad supports opening DocX documents
windows7themesao3.jpg

4 themes have been provided out of the box. The themes even include Slideshows using Wallpapers based on a particular theme.
windows7diskdefragyk1.jpg

The Disk Defragmenting tool shows how much the disk is fragmented.
livemessengerjumplistkk6.jpg

An example of how the jumplists will provide enhanced functionality

windows7bluetoothhk2.png

Drivers installed for my Bluesoleil Bluetooth dongle.

windows7bluetoothdevicegn8.png

Bluetooth dongle in the Devices.

windows7taskmanagerdq2.jpg

Free, Available & Cached memory now properly displayed.

windows7sourveviewersd2.png

A better source viewer, though it is still flawed and does not dissect the html code properly as you will see. I am not sure if this is a IE8 addon, or a Windows 7 addon.

directx11da9.png

Windows 7 DirectX version - 11

paintmenuxz9.png

The New Menu in Paint makes thing visually clear for the user.

paintbrushessamplesd6.png

Easy to understand visual representation of the different kinds of brushes!

safelyremoveah3.png

The new safely remove hardware popup makes it clear which devices are attached. No more removals by mistake!

safelyremovehardwareip3.png

A proper safely remove hardware applet!

fileinuseag3.png

Explorer now tells you which program is using a file instead of just saying that the file cannot be denied because it is open in another program!

windows7mediaplayerformga6.png

List of formats supported by Windows Media Player out of the box!

windows7locationandothebh1.png

Sensors which can detect the Location and Orientation! A smarter AI is not a distant future now ;)

windows7credentialmanagyv8.png

A few of my credentials were already recorded in this manager like my Windows Live ID. Lets see how much of a difference does this make to out computing.

remoteassistanceys4.png

Probably will search for Windows 7 computers in the network and provide easy assitance setup.

mediacenterupdatecn6.png

I have never used Media Center, but updated guides is always welcome :)

Does this version also cut out the initial few seconds of an mp3 if the download album art from internet option is enabled ??

Does iTunes and GTA 4 work on it ??

Can you tell which option is the download album art from internet? I have the option to retrieve media info from the Net, but i have never faced the cutting out of the initial few seconds.

Will try out iTunes, but don't have GTA4 so cant test that one.

yeah I meant media info :p anyway read about it at some other forum where a lot of users noticed a change in the size of the mp3 file and the initial few seconds of the songs were deleted or cut or whatever by windows media player, hoping it's fixed in this version

New Updates -
* iTunes works fine on Windows 7. Only issue i had was that while adding tracks to my library, the RAM usage went 100MB+! I uninstalled it soon after as i do not use iTunes.

* Norton AV 09 needs to be installed in Vista compatibility mode otherwise it does not start after the first restart.

* There 3 new regional themes hidden inside the "Globalization folder" which you can use just by opening them once! Now why not provide them for all the users! They are just a different colored Aero theme with a different set of Wallpapers slideshow.

* The uPnP works out of the box i.e you can control the Windows Media Player using your N-series phones without the need for a media server application. I could not get this to work on Vista! I played tracks on my N85 via Windows Media Player.

Any other queries guys?

stalker00031 said:
Sticky Notes are not missing, they can be found in Accessories (i think)

The notes gadget is missing, the Sticky notes app was present in Vista aswell.

I have been using Sticky notes for the past 3 days, and can say that it is a nice upgrade over the Notes gadget from vista.

My WEI ratings are better than Vista actually!!
My System rating used to be 3, it is 3.3 now.
All the other fields are +/- .1 similar to their vista scores.

windows7weife8.jpg

was it a fresh install or a multi boot??? if multi boot does it work with windows xp also or only vista???
dont want to ruin my xp install... :p

It was a fresh setup. There are a few reports on the net that Windows 7 does not make the proper entries in the bootloader, which you can rectify by editing the bootloader. You will have to look it up online.

Some new observations and screenshots added to the first post. Check them up.

* DivX support has been added out of the box. Though some of the movies still need proper DivX codec, most probably cause of different encoders used.

* Bluetooth dongles now work out of the box by default, without the need for IVT Bluesoleil drivers or software! Though the IVT suite will offer enhaced functionality, but atleast now you will be able to use your bluetooth even if you do not want to install the whole suite!

* Task Manager now shows the amount of Free & Cached memory. This might not make a difference to of us who know what superfetching is, but i have many friends who grumbled about vista using up whatever memory is offered to it when it was just launched! This is a better approach even otherwise.

* Windows 7 has something nice and very helpfull called the troubleshooters. Details and screenshots for that have been posted in another thread, do check that out too.
* The taskbar buttons light up in a shade matching to the color of the icon when the mouse hovers on the buttons, which looks nice and makes it easier to differentiate between them. So the uTorrent buttons lights up in a green shade, Firefox button lights up in orange, Opera in Red, IE in blue and similar. A very nice touch ;)

* A whitish background illumination follows your mouse on the taskbar buttons.

A very beautifully written and exampled report I must say alsiladka !!

I must congratulate you on ur writing skills, if only I had such writing skills.

Tech_enthu said:
A very beautifully written and exampled report I must say alsiladka !!

I must congratulate you on ur writing skills, if only I had such writing skills.

Thanks tech :)!
Got some new screenies to post, will do so tomm.
Another observation :
* WMP also plays MP4 and 3gp videos be default,Without the need for quicktime. This, combined with DivX support, shall go a long way in making the devices work easily and withouth much effort on Windows 7. Since most of the Digital Cams and Handy Cams record videos in these formats only, supporting these formats out of the box would mean immediate playback of these videos as soon as the devices are plugged in!

Kuantum said:
Do u have to reboot after device driver install ??
For instance video cards driver...
Nope. When Windows Update had finished downloading and installing the preview Nvidia drivers, it did not ask me to restart the computer.
But after i had installed the Realtek HD Drivers using the Vista installer, it did ask me to restart, which i guess might have been because it was Vista's installer.

* Windows 7 has DirectX 11!!! Damn, i had not checked it till today. I think this issue was disputed as people were not sure whether it would be there.

directx11da9.png

Back