Windows 7 Beta Observations and Screenshots

Gunman said:
Frack. :cry:

I could've listened to appo when he'd asked me to copy the Win 7 Beta from his comp yesterday. :chair:

You're so dumb :bleh:

On the topic, this OS is very good especially for lappies for which finding XP drivers are a pain and Vista's so called memory management makes things tough. Been using it as the primary OS on my brother's laptop with 1GB DDR2 and its so much smoother than Vista.

Windows 7 is really cool in number of aspects .....getting addicted to it the hours i m spending on it ...

I hv not played games on it can someone throw some light on its gaming

Depends on what do you expect out of it. I am running it on 2GB. Occupies 1.2GB with firefox (4tabs), WMP, Excel, Word, Explorer, Skype open on the desktop

Anybody have an idea of how Windows7 will run on a low end config like: Athlon64 2800+ & 512MB RAM..

One of my friend's want to try it out, but iam not sure how it will perform on a config like this..

Still no news about gaming on Windows 7 from fellow TE's. :huh:
Are none playing games these days? :bleh:

I think gaming should be better considering the overall feel of the slick OS...

clown_abhi said:
Still no news about gaming on Windows 7 from fellow TE's. :huh:
Are none playing games these days? :bleh:

I think gaming should be better considering the overall feel of the slick OS...

+1 to that .. guys with it installed .. please comment on gaming performance and computability .

Installing Windows 7 on the Aspire One, or Any Other Netbook

Installing Windows on a machine without a CD/DVD drive has always been a bit tricky, and you'd think that "geared towards netbooks" would imply that Microsoft made this process a little easier. Well, they didn't, so you'll still have to resort to some tedious work before you can actually start the installation. It's hard to screw this up, but it's still tedious work, and shouldn't really be necessary in this day and age. The instructions below are taken from garyshort.org.

Get yourself a nice USB drive, at least 4GB in size (2GB is too small, and I'm not sure if 3GB drives exist), and plug it in your computer. Then, load up a command prompt with administrative privileges (right click, "Run as administrator..."), and enter the following commands to properly format the USB drive:

diskpart [launches diskpart]

list disk [lists the currently mounted disks, and assigns them a number]

select disk # [selects the USB drive, replace # with your disk's number]

clean [removes any MBR and partition information]

create partition primary [creates primary partition]

select partition 1 [selects the just-created partition]

active [marks the partition as active]

format fs=NTFS [formats the partition as NTFS]

assign [mounts the partition and assigns a drive letter]

exit [terminates diskpart]

The next step is to prepare the bootsector of the USB drive so that it is capable of catapulting the Windows 7 installation routine. To do this, put the Windows 7 DVD in your drive (or mount the .iso image using your tool of choice), and navigate to the /boot directory using a command prompt with administrative privileges. For some weird reason, the prompt I still had running after ceating/formatting the partition on the USB drive no longer had administrative privileges, so I had to load another. Once you're in the boot directory, execute the following command:

bootsect /nt60 # [prepares the boot sector, replace # with your USB drive's drive letter]

The rest is pretty easy. Copy the contents of the Windows 7 DVD/.iso image onto the USB drive. You can do this via drag/drop in Explorer. Once the copy process is complete, you can boot from the USB drive straight into the Windows 7 installation routine as if was a regular bootable DVD. On the Aspire One, this means hitting F12 during boot, invoking the boot menu, and selecting the USB drive as the boot device. Make sure that as soon as the installation routine starts rebooting, that you do not re-launch the installation routine.

That's it.....

[Source]

Anyone tried playing any games? Alsiladka did u try that out yet?

If it doesn't crash I dont mind trying. :p

Abt time this thread should be stickied!!

Well, i installed Win 7 and the experience was awesome but faced some issues:

1. The size of the WMP 12 keeps changing depending upon the resolution of the videos. I want it to be constant as it used to be in Vista. How do i do that?
2. Secondly, how do i use equalizer in WMP 12. I couldn't find it anywhere.
3. utorrent runs but the transfer speed is like 8-10 for my 384kbps connection. Even gave full access through firewall.
4. When i open windows, there is a slight lag, ummm... like a shutter. Is it a video driver problem or the Win 7 shell?
5. When playing songs, the album art is displayed as just a thumbnail and not the actual size of the picture as it used to be in Vista? Is there a workaround for dis?

clown_abhi said:
Well, i installed Win 7 and the experience was awesome but faced some issues:
1. The size of the WMP 12 keeps changing depending upon the resolution of the videos. I want it to be constant as it used to be in Vista. How do i do that?

2. Secondly, how do i use equalizer in WMP 12. I couldn't find it anywhere.

3. utorrent runs but the transfer speed is like 8-10 for my 384kbps connection. Even gave full access through firewall.

4. When i open windows, there is a slight lag, ummm... like a shutter. Is it a video driver problem or the Win 7 shell?

5. When playing songs, the album art is displayed as just a thumbnail and not the actual size of the picture as it used to be in Vista? Is there a workaround for dis?
1. The size? Or you mean the window size? Since WMP 12 features the now playing mode, that mode changes its size according to the requirement. But ain't that a good thing?
2. You can access the equaliser in the Now Playing mode.
3. Did you allow uTorrent through the firewall as i showed in the screenshots in one of the posts in the first few pages of this thread? Even i was facing this problem till i did that. Just type firewall in the start menu and open "Allow a programe through the firewall" or something.
4. I guess Video Driver problem. Which video card do you have? Because for me, windows open in a jiffy.
5. Try changing the visualisation to album art in the now playing mode.
Gunman said:
Anyone tried playing any games? Alsiladka did u try that out yet?
If it doesn't crash I dont mind trying. :p
Abt time this thread should be stickied!!
I am in nagpur at the moment, on a Windows XP machine!!!

Will try a few games when i go back, but i have a Geforce 7050PV GFX Card!! You really want to know what gaming performance i get on that :p
I was actually thinking that any of the users with a proper graphics card would test it out. But no one seems to have done so yet!

The lowest config on which I'v seen 7 running is a hp laptop pentium centrino m 1.6 & 512 mb ram...

was running good ( aero disabled of course )...

but it was the pre beta version 6800...

Back