Windows 7 RC Observations & Screenshots

Apparently, Windows 7 build 7100 is supposed to be the RC build, though things could change. Can't be sure until it is officially released. I have downloaded and installed the x64 edition of the RC build.
Have my exams going on so the screenshots will have to wait, but will keep updating the observations for now.
The observations will be mostly on all the changes / improvements since the beta build and onwards. I don't remember which feature / change took place in which build for most of them though :D
Installation - I installed via Pen Drive. The time from the start of the setup to the first login & desktop display was a flat 15 minutes! Simply superb.
Observations -

* New IE JumpList tasks - New Tab & InPrivate. Also have an icon now, in previous builds, they did not have an icon.
* New Icon for the Games Explorer and Saved Games folder in the User's folder.
* Infact, since the beta, quite a lot of applications and folders have received an Icon makeover. Paint, Wordpad, Calculator, i think even Media Player & Sticky Notes. Windows DVD Maker has a new icon too. Even the Pictures, Music folder icons on the start menu look better now.
* Features Updates in the Windows Updates has changed to "Software Notifications - for new Microsoft Software". Windows Live Essentials, Silverlight etc. are to be pushed through this channel i presume.
* New themes with slideshow for the wallpapers have been added since the beta.
* The Tab Crash recovery / management in IE has received some touch ups and has a nice and simple prompt for the user now. Just saw it once while flash was installing and the other tabs got stuck for sometime.
Added - April 28

* Installed Norton AntiVirus Gamers Edition. No problems till now. Installs and Runs fine, as if its not even there.
* The graphics driver for Nvidia were installed in the setup itself. Gave me a WEI score of 3.2 for the graphics.

Screenshots -
thinsuperbar.png

largesuperbar.png

There is a stark difference between the Superbar with Small icons and Large icons. After using the small icons bar, i can't even look at the large icons bar! The time display inspite of being simple, looks good.
jumplistie.png

New jumplist tasks for IE
jumplistcp.png

Jumplist for Control Panel with Recently used applets
driversoftwareinstallat.png

Device Driver installation with download details.
devicecenter.png

allcontrolpanelitems.png

internetstreaming.png

programcompatibilityassy.png

An updated Program Compatibility Wizard prompt after you exit an application which Windows thinks must have had compatibility problems.
iecrash.png

The new prompt for tabs which don't respond.
sound.png

Various new Sound schemes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything anyone wants to know?

Also, if you are already using Win 7 or still on XP you would not be able to use the upgrade option for this version (7100 build). You can only go for a clean install option.

Found this version quite smooth generally. Just one issue as yet - ATI drivers stop responding after a couple of hours while playing Far Cry 2. Hope compatible ATI drivers are released soon :)

Dude, all that said.... Could I know how stable is the new version,....

Actually I always wanted to shift to a 64 bit OS, to take full advantage of my 4 GB Ram....here....

Morever, I would also like to ask...whether these version has good support to the PC Games,, bcoz I like to play them a lot.....

Then about driver, whether the driver to general hardware such as Motherboard, Graphics card is available by now,....

Thankyou....

Oh.... thanks man...a sigh of relief...the Nvidia driver is also working right there I suppose...then.....

Installation - I installed via Pen Drive. The time from the start of the setup to the first login & desktop display was a flat 15 minutes! Simply superb.

alsiladka.....This point of yours has really attracted me a lot buddy, actually I dont exactly know how to install a OS from Pen Drive.....

So could you help me out here....Like how to keep the executable file on the Pen Drive such that, it acts as boot Media....etc...

Will definetly and immediately switch over to Windows 7, once Release candidate will be officially released

Thankyou...

If you are going to wait till it is officially released, will be able to help you at lenght then. Have exams going on right now, so don't have much time. Just google "Install Windows 7 from USB Drive". There are various guides. Just took me 2 minutes to make the pen drive active and bootable. Copy the files after that, and boot. Done!

himanshuaieee said:
Oh.... thanks man...a sigh of relief...the Nvidia driver is also working right there I suppose...then.....

Yes, it does :hap2:

Have used both 64 bit and 32 bit versions. 64 bit one still wont run legacy 32bit dos based applications.. Guess if would require some emulator. Apart from that, I would recommend 64 bit for anyone who has 2GB + RAM

Windows 7 RC ( im using x64 version ) is pretty good, it detected all my hardware correctly without any need for intervention & also had some common codecs like DivX preinstalled. My PC games like Wheelman & Battlefield Heroes work as well as they used to work in Windows Vista.

I use Adobe Photoshop Cs4 alongside now outdated Autodesk Max 9 on my PC as well. Interestingly Max 8 doesnt work so easily with Windows Vista & requires a lot of tweaking to be run in Vista but , in windows 7 it ran smoothly without any problems right OOB.

Id say this OS is what Windows Vista should have been in the first place .

My Rating 9/10

Installed the RC on my system. The setup and welcome screen looks lovely.:cupidon: Booted fine and straightaway ran into driver problems. Since Ati has,very kindly,shifted my X1800 to legacy product section,the current Catalyst driver version doesn't work. There were 9.3 which supported Windows 7 but for some reason the display driver wont install. Lots of head scratching and swearing :p ensued. Later I tried the Vista 9.2 display drivers and voila it installed fine.Great. Lovely the 7.:hap2:

eXcesscaLIBER said:
Also, if you are already using Win 7 or still on XP you would not be able to use the upgrade option for this version (7100 build). You can only go for a clean install option.

Anyone who is on beta and wants to simply upgrade instead of a complete installation, simply follow the steps below :

# Browse to the sources directory.
# Open the file cversion.ini in a text editor such as Notepad.
# Modify the MinClient build number to a value lower than the down-level build. For example, change 7100 to 7000

Source : Hack to Upgrade Windows 7 From Beta or Pre-RC to RC (70xx to 71xx) Version Directly My Digital Life

nightwing892001 said:
Has anyone tried some games in the 7? Do they work fine? I was thinking of playing FEAR 2.

Well, in the BETA build x86 version, FEAR, POP2008 and COD4 were performing the same as in Vista but Crysis Warhead was some 5 fps slower than Vista. Probably driver issues, will wait till official RC is out. :)

clown_abhi said:
Well, in the BETA build x86 version, FEAR, POP2008 and COD4 were performing the same as in Vista but Crysis Warhead was some 5 fps slower than Vista. Probably driver issues, will wait till official RC is out. :)

It should actually be will wait till RC is officially out :bleh:
To those thinking of upgrading from Vista, you can, but for the best results, make a clean install of Windows 7.

alsiladka said:
Anything anyone wants to know?

Yes please! Can someone try out the speech recognition and report some results... I will wait for it to be officially released before installing and testing myself :D Beta speech recognition was not stable...

Back