Windows 8 - Feedback thread

Windows 8.1 is an update, not an upgrade. What that means is you can go ahead and buy vanilla Windows 8 SKUs, you will get the 8.1 update free.

Worth trying the Windows 8.1 Preview, but I have found it has some bugs, as should be expected of unfinished preview/beta software. Also, remember, you will lose all your installed apps on both metro and desktop when 8.1 final is released. So unless you feel adventurous the best option is to buy Windows 8, it will be updated to 8.1 come October 18th.

Hi guys,

Been using Mac at home and Win xp at my office. We are expanding, and I will need to buy 3-4 new computers. Planning on assembled boxes, done by a friend who runs a great computer service company. Do you think I should get Win 8, or Win 7. Tally is definitely to be used as well as office.

Is win 7 even available now?

Hi guys,

Been using Mac at home and Win xp at my office. We are expanding, and I will need to buy 3-4 new computers. Planning on assembled boxes, done by a friend who runs a great computer service company. Do you think I should get Win 8, or Win 7. Tally is definitely to be used as well as office.

Windows 7 :)

Hi guys,

I will suggest windows 8.
Its much faster and smoother compared to windows 7

But can't say about compatibility of Tally on windows 8.
Better try it before you buy: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/preview-iso

Hi guys,

Apologies for calling you :yikes: Did not see the time!

Windows 7 FTW. Anyways, would suggest to opt for Windows 8 Pro licenses for downgrade rights and you can use 8 later no. 8 is definitely faster as long as you use a start menu replacement.

^^Thanks guys.

Didn't understand that bit about Pro license though.

Vivek, a few years ago, I would sleep at 1 or so and get up at 7, now I sleep at nine thirty or so, and get up at four thirty to five. Lifestyle change.

Actually, you need to give entire details of what you want for your IT. And these posts need to be forked from the main thread.

As for the pro license, it has downgrade rights to Windows 7, so you can use W7 for now and upgrade to 8 when you need it.

For Tally, would suggest a seperate PC for the same. Ensure that you do port forwarding and all for remote access since I guess you may want to access the files over the net.

Also, without a start menu replacement, Windows 8 is just about useless in the corporate world. I am one of the only two people using 8 in my office and know how irritating it is. The other person will be moving to a Macbook Air mostly, so just needs it for ~3 months - that is the level of irritation being faced.

Windows 8 is not very good for assembled desktops, its interface makes sense only if you have a track pad (like in laptops) or touch screen.
also
Windows 8.1 update is bringing back the start menu. (think it releases next month)

Windows 8.1 is not going to come with the start menu, but they will just add the start button which earlier was not present. Pressing the button will lead back to the old Windows 8 Start Screen.

Microsoft should get its a** whooped for doing such a f***all job of W8. Every second day a new issue arises.

Ok so i have installed windows 8 again after latest games are having trouble running in windows 7.

To all people who don't like m$ sucks a*s metro ui can install startisback or start8 which can boot directly to dekstop mode with all charm disabled. Start menu is just like windows 7 with all it's awesomeness.
Metro ui is totally hidden under a small option in start menu so you can also remove it from there. All in all it is now windows 7.5 with all the speed advantages of windows 8 minus it's annoying noob ui.
Windows 8.1 is not coming with start menu but with start screen shortcut button which will take you back to start screen again.. haha how clever of them.

I would count myself lucky that my windows 8 experience has been extremely stable and the ui has been a breath of fresh air personally for me.

Not only is it visually good looking, it also has a unique elastic feel to it and the flat resemblance also happens to be to my tastes.
One grouch i have is MS should have made it easier for the people to tweak their UI's. People who have been using legacy systems with MS OS have found it tough, especially at enterprise level.

We are not going to go with W8 deployment, considering the test laptop itself is such a huge irritation with several issues. We have licenses for 8 - but sticking to 7.

The issues we are facing are : low ram, machine frequently stops responding, virtual memory, outlook making new profiles several times, and god knows how many other bugs. I even as a possibility tried installing 8.1 (the leaked ISO), but kept saying its not correct language/version/something. I too authorized a change of laptop.

The Windows 8 laptop is going to be used as a spare machine, and a new laptop has been ordered on which 7 will be installed.

anyone having Pantech burst got their phones working through USB in windows 8/8.1 till now? windows site shows that phone is compatible even in 8.1 and it says free download required. the download link points to same old pc suite software. windows 8 does not recognize the phone. it just gives error of driver not initialized.

A little more than 3GB.
Woah ! Win 8.1 DS ISO is 3.6GB.
Win 8.1 Pro is just a tad faster than 8. Ad IMO, 8 is a well deserved upgrade over 7. After learning the KB shortcuts, I don't feel the Metro intrusion (and certainly no need for any 3rd party start button addons).

Back