windows 8 NOW

paarkhi said:
@Viralbug, By next July (2012) you'll have RTM in your hand, although the GA may be in oct 2012.

Yes that's why I said it'll be a year before you can find it on laptops.

asingh said:
Guys am confused. Is this a proper BETA, i.e. running version of Win 8, or just some development environment.

vivek.krishnan said:
Its akin to a RC... since W8 is already past the beta stages...

This is not a Beta! It is a pre-beta version.

vivek.krishnan said:
Only started laughing when the host mentioned that the underlying kernel (windows), is the most reliable kernel in the world right now, or something like that.:rofl:

Wonder what make you laugh on that; based on some web article (which TBH are mostly sponsored) or some zero day defect. Not that I am saying it is the most secured. But it is as good as other user OSes.

challapradyumna said:
Is there a torrent version of this??

Yes, have a look around on the torrent site, search with "WindowsDeveloperPreview-32bit-English" OR "WindowsDeveloperPreview-64bit-English"
adi_vastava said:
Wonder what make you laugh on that; based on some web article (which TBH are mostly sponsored) or some zero day defect. Not that I am saying it is the most secured. But it is as good as other user OSes.

Yes, it is as good as the others, but TBH, still there are some times when its not reliable. Have had my shares of BSOD's with Win7 too. And the way he was presenting it was as if it was the best!

Well i tried the silverlight install and my nod32 AV went in complete overdrive. Literally killing my internet services. i.e No data transfer at all.
The same thing happened when i tried updating my IDM from 6.05 to a newer version.
Any idea why it keeps happening?

They have ribboned the interface for folders. I hated that so much when it happened to MS - Office. I hope their is a way to disable it. As time progresses MS is making the OS more and more mouse friendly, and less quick keyboard.

vivek.krishnan said:
Yes, it is as good as the others, but TBH, still there are some times when its not reliable. Have had my shares of BSOD's with Win7 too. And the way he was presenting it was as if it was the best!

Oh OK, I thought you meant security (and not stability), Not sure what the presenter meant by reliable (guess its combination of stable, secure, etc etc). :)

ggt said:
Well i tried the silverlight install and my nod32 AV went in complete overdrive. Literally killing my internet services. i.e No data transfer at all.

The same thing happened when i tried updating my IDM from 6.05 to a newer version.

Any idea why it keeps happening?

If you are using the NOD32 2.x version with some *ahem* extra tinkering, then it seems that you will need to remove it as a friend of mine had similar problems as of yesterday. Otherwise, well dont know.

Better switch to MSE otherwise and see.....

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

asingh said:
They have ribboned the interface for folders. I hated that so much when it happened to MS - Office. I hope their is a way to disable it. As time progresses MS is making the OS more and more mouse friendly, and less quick keyboard.

Yes, but it kinda grows on you, once you start to see its benefits (especially for newbies). In O2007 hated the ribbon but have come to accept it in O2010.

I am sure here Microsoft has got it right and see it's RAM Utilization and overall snappiness.

Its going to awesome.

It was apple who was talking of post pc era with apple ipad 2.

Tables have turned it seems.

I am going to buy windows tablet.

No ipad here.

Its real deal with desktop mode and with full productivity gear and we are all set.

Happy with how it is all coming together.

pratikb said:
I am sure here Microsoft has got it right and see it's RAM Utilization and overall snappiness.

Its going to awesome.

It was apple who was talking of post pc era with apple ipad 2.

Tables have turned it seems.

I am going to buy windows tablet.

No ipad here.

Its real deal with desktop mode and with full productivity gear and we are all set.

Happy with how it is all coming together.

But remember, if its ARm, it will not have backward compatibility with W7 and older apps. BUt if x86 based intel atom/amd brazos, yes.

I am set on Amd Brazos based tablet.

Even that Samsung tablet is awesome config.

after all its more on graphics processing and I think Amd gives better gpu capability.

vivek.krishnan; said:

Ever saw an apple presentation when they declare new products..?? This would look tame version of it..

vivek.krishnan said:
If you are using the NOD32 2.x version with some *ahem* extra tinkering, then it seems that you will need to remove it as a friend of mine had similar problems as of yesterday. Otherwise, well dont know.

Better switch to MSE otherwise and see...

mine is Eset smart security ver 4.xx.

when i installed the silverlight app my cpu utilisation went like 70% all through the ESEtkernell* like thing.

had to do a system restore to make it work properly.

asingh said:

I really like the ribbon interface in Office. It is a huge improvement when you are trying to find something in the interface that you might not use very frequently. Everything is sized depending on how much people use the options and grouped in a way that makes sense. ('Data', 'Page Layout', etc) The keyboard options haven't changed, so power users can keep using that.

Also, even for keyboard users, I like the implementation where pressing alt brings up tool tips for the various shortcuts.

vivek.krishnan said:
But remember, if its ARm, it will not have backward compatibility with W7 and older apps. BUt if x86 based intel atom/amd brazos, yes.

I might be the only person talking negative here but 11.7 inch is really big.
I have used the 10 inch tablet and its screen size is big enough for browsing and using apps.

For me a tablet replaces my laptop for browsing and mails, while sitting on my bed/sofa a 11.6 inch would be too big to maneuver

Let me know if I could solve this issue somehow:

I wanna install AutoCAD 2007 into my Win8, but it says IE 6.0 or later is necessary and doesn't detect IE 10 as IE itself! Should I install IE 9 or something, or is there a way out?

whatsinaname said:
I really like the ribbon interface in Office. It is a huge improvement when you are trying to find something in the interface that you might not use very frequently. Everything is sized depending on how much people use the options and grouped in a way that makes sense. ('Data', 'Page Layout', etc) The keyboard options haven't changed, so power users can keep using that.

Also, even for keyboard users, I like the implementation where pressing alt brings up tool tips for the various shortcuts.

Guess that is what change is all about. :) Takes a while to acclimatize to it. I had been using MS-Excel extensively for around 7-8 years (tons of spread sheets and boatloads of programing) so the new interface totally threw me off. Plus had no other option but to migrate to 2007 since it harnessed greater rows x columns. But till date I never use any inbuilt function (conditional formatting, forumula [averageif]) which is not innate to 2003. But I still wish they gave an option to disable, maybe it is out there, never researched hard enough. :)

Back