Health & Fitness Would any of you be interested in wild pure honey? Direct from source.

Wild honey or even honey from reared bees is going to be difficult to come across for sure. I attended a small webinar during lockdown and main issue is that there should be no pesticide or insecticide use within 1km radius for the bees to survive. Maybe try from Sikkim if you have some contacts there as Sikkim is supposed to be a completely organic state with ban on pesticide and insecticide use. Over here where I live in Himachal, they don't use much insecticide or pesticides as well, but they do use weedicides. I will get a few boxes of bees this year probably, but I know that actual beekeepers travel to the plains every winters with their bees, so I doubt if my bees will survive the winters here, although we don't get any snow.

Another update: I'll be leaving for the first village in a few hours and will return tomorrow or day after. I won't be able to come online due to network connectivity issue.
There is one good news, we contacted a veggie seller who is also a distant relative (but don't live in my gramp's village). She said the time for harvesting honey has passed and you may not find it anymore but there's a cliff in her village and underneath it are two honeybee hives in different places. They haven't had the time to harvest it. It was then my mom told her to keep all of them for us lol. Even if they don't have the time to filter it, we'll buy and we'll filter it ourselves. They just need to take out the hives and send them to us. I plan to personally go there to witness the harvesting if I can. I'll take photos and maybe videos too if I have enough storage.
And the relative here told us they will finish harvesting pea/beans today or tomorrow after that they will go to the cliff in the village jungle the following day or so. They will stay overnight in the jungle. Then return the following day. I plan to go along with them so I will try to return and make time for that.
Also, something about the shipping package: I want to use transparent plastic bottles. I couldn't find bubble wrap and they said styro is pretty costly so I will use some form of foam first around the bottle (will be instead a clean reusable plastic to prevent any accidental leakage outside) as its first layer. Then will use hay (yes haystack!) over the foam and then pack them inside brown carton box. (As a trial i just packed a christmas gift using the haystack as a form of cushion). What do you think?
One question, what is the best way to ship bee hive/honey comb to other states? The package has to be hard to prevent the comb from being pressed against during shipment but I just don't know what exactly to use. Metal box?
Some friends outside want me to ship them some of the comb. The comb is eatable but has a peculiar taste (still sweet).
I will get a few boxes of bees this year probably, but I know that actual beekeepers travel to the plains every winters with their bees, so I doubt if my bees will survive the winters here, although we don't get any snow.
You might need a greenhouse for winter. And lots of flowers and sugar (put them inside a sock and hang them). That's how my maternal grandpa used to do it.
Also do you know of anything who might rear Black Soldier flies? Insect people might have it. I need them. For my friend's fishes.
I have contacts in Sikkim but no one to go through all the effort.

Last edited:
Also, something about the shipping package: I want to use transparent plastic bottles.

I understand the logistics limitations, but do see if you can use glass or high quality BPA free plastic at least. No matter what quality, plastic does modify the taste a bit, IMO. I, personally, would be willing to eat a bit of the overhead of wrapping glass properly.

what is the best way to ship bee hive/honey comb to other states?

Does it have to be shipped whole or in pieces? Some tupperware sort of boxes?

I will get a few boxes of bees this year probably, but I know that actual beekeepers travel to the plains every winters with their bees, so I doubt if my bees will survive the winters here, although we don't get any snow.
We had a small bee farm when I was a kid (~10 two storied boxes). In winters (temp 5-10 degree C) and rainy season we put the boxes in the shed and fed the bees sugar water.

Last edited:
Wild Honey, ghee from Vechur or Coorg Dwarf cattle or even the other short stature indian cows etc are highly sought out for ayurveda. 2k for 1L is lucky, it can go for more. They cost a lot and having tried both I think they taste a lot more richer too. idk why wild honey tastes better than pure honey from beekeepers but it def does.

Let me start by saying there will be no new honey till Spring-Autumn next year! Those who harvested early this year will be the first to harvest next year.

I got home just a while ago. I found the pure honey (pure and reared BUT not wild honey) but didn't place the order yet. I'm still negotiating prices. Waiting for a call at around 7pm. I'll update with a proper reply after then. If anyone is still interested in the wild one, I'll know today or tomorrow from my uncle in my gramp's village. And if it's confirmed then I might go on Sunday. I may not be able to sell the one from the other village with the cliff thing since my mom wants it all. We'll see how much it yields first.
Sadly though I missed the first sale. They said I was late by a few days. He sold them for 1500 in 750ml Old Monk bottles. That's exactly 500rs for 250ml. It was a bit more than I expected (750rs for 500ml in a local honey expo over a year ago) but I heard they got all sold out almost immediately. In fact this farmer told me that his next harvesting has already been blocked and booked by others.
Anyway I asked him if he might do lesser since I would've bought more than 5L and that I want them in 1L bottle each. He said he would consider. They also assured me that the price is absolutely worth it. But I'll leave that to you guys. (They even said I was lucky to still find some since the villagers were busy with the fields and hadn't harvested some yet).
I personally want to say that, if you still are interested then it's great and I can place the order (after I confirm the final pricing). And even if you think the asking price is high then it's okay to give it a pass. But please please don't waste your money buying the private branded ones sold in departmental stores unless you are absolutely sure that it's pure and not diluted in any way or any preservatives is added. Also do not buy flavoured honey in jars. Even if you want the flavours then add the desired ingredient flavour yourself. Like instead of ginger honey just add ginger to the honey yourself.
Today is Monday the 15th of Dec and I may leave on Sunday the 20th again. If you guys are interested then I'll be able to place the order and get them by 17th or 18th and then ship them on 19th Saturday by afternoon before I leave. I need to take the rest of Saturday off to travel again to this village and then leave for my gramp's village on Sunday morning from this village (assuming I go) since it's on the way
Please understand that I will place the order according to the request I receive. I will naturally buy more if I carry enough money but even if you guys are interested I will only be able to ship again after a week or so since I'll be in the village for some days looking for wild honey. Also shipping extra according to your location and courier preference: Speedpost, DTDC, BlueDart etc. Speedpost is always the most affordable.
Anyway for now enjoy some pics from my visit yesterday and today. I was so excited the villagers laughed at me lol.
Two of the broken hive from which the honey was harvested.
IMG_20201215_080651104~2.jpg
Two boxes containing the beehive
IMG_20201215_080436397~2.jpg
Some of the beehive boxes of another farmer
IMG_20201215_131146806.jpg
There were bees everywhere but my cracked phone camera lens couldn't capture them.
Btw price of each box starts at freaking 4000rs! According to the size. That was the most shocking thing I've ever heard during my stay there. I thought they were gonna costs like 500-700rs max. I mean look at the exterior boring design.
I really need to learn how they are made.

Last edited:
I'm a bit confused. Is that price you're quoting for this year, and you'll be able to ship it in a week or so? At the top you say that there'll be no honey till next year?

Got an update: I don't have high hopes about the wild honey from my gramp's village. My uncle said they need to search for them very early and its very cold to do so nowadays. He also asked me if I need to follow them and why and I told him I want to take some photos and videos possible to show others. Anyway he will let me know again tomorrow evening.
I'm a bit confused. Is that price you're quoting for this year,
The price quotes are just from a few days ago and today. And yes they are for this year only. Also they cannot go up anymore, they can only decrease (hopefully).
and you'll be able to ship it in a week or so?
If orders are placed by 18th I'll be able to ship then on 19th. If they are requested on or after 19th I will only be able to ship them the following week because I won't be at home anymore. I will only be able to ship new requests the following week.
At the top you say that there'll be no honey till next year?
That was just a PSA for the future. The current stock are the last remaining from my sources whom I can reach. And there will be no more honey after that till next year*. I don't know about others in other parts of the region.
*unless there are beekeepers whom I do not know of
*unless they are from the wild
I understand the logistics limitations, but do see if you can use glass or high quality BPA free plastic at least. No matter what quality, plastic does modify the taste a bit, IMO. I, personally, would be willing to eat a bit of the overhead of wrapping glass properly.
I want to use mineral plastic bottles. They are of decent quality. I re-use them a lot. Because honestly, I don't know if higher quality will be feasible. I also don't want you guys to spend a lot. Maybe you can just buy a container of your liking after the bottles reach you. I don't think that delivery will take more than a week except for very far towns like in South India. It took 10 days for a delivery from Kochi to my location using DTDC Blue something.
Does it have to be shipped whole or in pieces? Some tupperware sort of boxes?
Only in small pieces. I don't know how to cover the top of the hive which has the honey.

Last edited:
I guess since only 5L will be available everyone would at least want to get a sample, so maybe we can divide equally among the ones who want to buy. I am still in for at least 500ml, but won't mind going down to 250ml so that everyone can get a share.

I guess since only 5L will be available everyone would at least want to get a sample, so maybe we can divide equally among the ones who want to buy. I am still in for at least 500ml, but won't mind going down to 250ml so that everyone can get a share.
It may be more than 5 since I contacted 3 villages. I told them 5L just to give them an idea of how much I want. I actually calculated 7.5L from the initial interest as known from the posts. The rest I will keep some for my own family and the family running my mom's office canteen.

I am willing to take whatever little you can spare. Really want to taste wild honey.

I might have missed a real jackpot recently. I have a leased land of 60 acres where I have an eucalyptus plantation. There are/were two huge (around 3 ft x 3ft) honey combs two really old peepal (I think) trees. I did not get anybody to harvest the honey. They all wanted to pay me for the take away the honey instead of taking labour charges for harvesting. I should try harder next time.

Finally got the updates.
1. REARED HONEY: The first person said he will cut down 100-150rs per 1L bottle if I go to take bulk from him directly and I plan to take 5L from him. (So we have 5L in hand right now). He said he was saving another batch of beehive for self use and that I can take that one also but I told him I will see it for myself then decide. To witness their claims by seeing the hive for myself. So we can get more than 5L from him.
Final price: 1850-1900rs/1L. This price also includes the cost of packing materials. But shipping is extra and according to buyer's preference. I may get 30-40rs cut because of the bulk order. I plan to negotiate further on the spot by assuring him that I will get more if you guys like it. Basically I can block and book any future stock. I want to take the bonus for myself. Please understand the resources from my personal side and don't mind.
2. WILD HONEY: The aunt veggie seller said they will harvest one of the wild hives tonight. The other one is apparently located much farther away. I want to go retrieve this one- both honey and the hive. This one is wild honey. And should cost easily 2500+ and selling in only 750ml. My mother said she will pay whatever she asks as long as I can join them in their little honey harvesting trip. The only problem is they will have broken apart the comb of the first one. Second hive is untouched.
3. WILD HONEY: My uncle told me that he was looking for it as far as he could go but didn't find any but someone in the village found one hive which may yield just about 1.5L. I told him to take the whole hive but he said they don't want to break the hive. They will just take only whatever they can from it. But he did told them not to harvest the honey till I'm there. So I will be going there this Saturday. I wanted to go before then but my cousin brother will finish his exam only on Saturday morning so I will leave by afternoon.

Now then the info which you've been wanting to know:
1. 925rs per 500ml. I want to make it 950rs. Donations most welcome! I'd like to know the number of interested members to see if I can put everyone on the list and give 1L also (it will save future shipping cost and time). But it cannot be larger than 1L. 1L limit per member if there are too many interested members.
2. 2500rs per 750-800ml. All booked by my mother and her office mates.
3. TBA. I need to go there first and negotiate with the person who found the hive.
Shipping extra.
All interested members please PM me with your requirements and I will send you my bank account for payment.
Also, I won't be able to ship on Saturday anymore. I will have to do it by Friday. I won't have time to rest if I do everything on Saturday.
So I will need to confirm all payment by tomorrow night (Night of 17th Dec or Morning of 18th Dec) as I will go to take the honey on 18th morning and spend the rest of the day packing and ship them all on 18th). Late payment will be shipped on 21st Monday or 22nd Tuesday.

Here are some pics and comparison (sorry for the shitty image quality):
This is Dabur honey ("purity guaranteed" LOL). This is a 2017 year sold Dabur honey. You can see a lot of solid lumps/residue which looks like its sugar inside the glass jar. Pure honey don't end up like this. (PS: my mom uses it as a sweetener).
WhatsApp Image 2020-12-16 at 8.25.14 PM (1).jpegWhatsApp Image 2020-12-16 at 8.24.59 PM.jpegWhatsApp Image 2020-12-16 at 8.25.14 PM.jpeg

This is pure honey from my uncle's own reared bees. Looks like my uncle didn't filter it properly as he was in a hurry as I was supposed to go back home the following day. The residue is the wax from the comb. Its eatable. This honey is almost two years now and as you can see there's no sugary lump like the one in Dabur.
WhatsApp Image 2020-12-16 at 8.07.20 PM.jpeg
We have only little now.
WhatsApp Image 2020-12-16 at 8.07.25 PM (1).jpeg

This is also pure honey. This is from wild bees. This is the very rare one.
WhatsApp Image 2020-12-16 at 8.07.25 PM.jpeg
We also have only a little of this now.
WhatsApp Image 2020-12-16 at 8.07.25 PM (2).jpeg

Sorry still confused. What would be the price for 500 ml shipped to Mumbai? Also what kind of honey will that be? Reared, wild because I am guessing It is still better than the retail brands.

Sorry still confused. What would be the price for 500 ml shipped to Mumbai?
950+ shipping. Shipping is your choice.
Also what kind of honey will that be? Reared, wild
Only reared. Wild one booked by my mother and her office colleagues. Her friends were actually the ones asking her to look for pure honey since my mom knows a lot of rural veggie sellers. 95% of the food we eat are bought from (veggie) sellers who come from rural areas. Only meat is obtained locally and chicken mostly from our own little organic farm. I had over 300 organic chicken at one point and lots of quails.
because I am guessing It is still better than the retail brands.
100% better!
Please don't waste money on retail ones if you care about purity. Unless you crave for some "just honey" out of boredom.

Edit:
I think that it would be best to change the shipping policy. Current policy is causing too much confusion. So instead of me quoting some random numbers for shipping, how about interested members pay for the honey first and then shipping later after I ship them? I will send you image of the shipping slip. Is there any transaction charge when sending money? Believe it or not I've never done it lol. If yes please add that to the shipping. If no then ignore. My bank is Indian Overseas Bank fyi.

Last edited:
If its the reared honey that is available for the members now , can you tell what exactly is being fed to the bees??
I might have missed the exact details if they were shared earlier..

Please drop a message will talk to you tomorrow after lunch... About formalities..

If its the reared honey that is available for the members now , can you tell what exactly is being fed to the bees??
I understand your concern but they are not "fed" anything lol. They live off of nature. Just that the bees are "tamed" to make harvesting honey easier hence those bee boxes. Worst case scenario, probably sugar even though I haven't came across anyone doing it (decades ago my maternal grandfather used to do it at home in the city since we didn't have much flowers). But these locations are rural hilly areas so plenty of flowers and flowering plants almost everywhere.

Have you got any approx shipping charges and how much in gms is 500 ml? Because retail honey is sold by weight.
I am guessing due to density, 500ml may be more than 500gm? Just assuming.

Last edited:
Back