OC & Modding X2 to me and same to you.

PCJedi

Adept
Hi guys,
I have been playing around for some time and the 4200 is an amazing processor. I spent a couple of days trying to get it working with various combination and testing its performance across applications. Interesting finds, but since i am posting this in the OC forum, would like to state that its a fabulous overclocker. It has managed 2.68 on air. This is a prime stable figure. Non prime it has gone easily to 2.75 without a beep. but prime fails in 19 minutes or so. The RAM is surely a limiting factor, since i don't have the inclination to remove my pdp from my sandy at the moment.
I have spent a lot of time benchmarking it across application. mostly real-world rather than synthetic for a specific system design. It was fun piting a dual opteron v/s a x2 v/s a sandy v/s a venice 0517. Ofcourse i had only two quadro's so required a lot of shuffling. for the max and maya figures.

GF- The Sandy and the Venice still rule the gaming scenario, if i keep the 7800 as the common card. The X2 does not seem to offer any advantage on gaming.

That's a known fact, ain't it ? Did u try Q3 which is supposed to be the only Multi-Threaded game available, Jedi ?

goldenfrag said:
But what is better Jedi?
Was the X2 a Disadvantage?

Do u mean underperform ? I think Jedi meant that the Venice was better coz' of the price performance ratio. But disadvantage, hmmm.... something to think abt.

I find gaming speeds are directly proportional to clock speed- graphic card remaining constant- My SD and Venice run at 2.7 and games don't use Dual core's hence the Venice and SD are faster and cheaper. The SD till now is about 5 % faster then the venice at same clock speeds in Quake3 and 3DMarks05. You will not find the X2 to give you any performance increaments compared to these except in Video/imaging and 3D Applications - That too in 3D Rendering since viewports and modelling is totally graphic card dependent. The Quadro beats the 7800GTX by atleast 8 to 10 times. in Max and PRO-E.

Freaky: Why the old A8N-E bios. any reason

PCJedi said:
The Quadro beats the 7800GTX by atleast 8 to 10 times. in Max and PRO-E.

Wow... Which quadro do you have? And are you using maxtreme?

And how much does the x2 improve in rendering time?

I have a couple of 4400's and yes using maxtreme, speeds up modelling windows. As for rendering time, its quite similar to a dual opteron speed up - around 60 to 70% compared to single.

As for Q3 Score's i will have to change to the 7800GTX, since on the quadro, i don't expect any phenomenol Q3 scores. will do that in a day or so.

PCJedi said:
Hi guys,
I have been playing around for some time and the 4200 is an amazing processor. I spent a couple of days trying to get it working with various combination and testing its performance across applications. Interesting finds, but since i am posting this in the OC forum, would like to state that its a fabulous overclocker. It has managed 2.68 on air. This is a prime stable figure. Non prime it has gone easily to 2.75 without a beep. but prime fails in 19 minutes or so. The RAM is surely a limiting factor, since i don't have the inclination to remove my pdp from my sandy at the moment.

Looks Pretty Good :thumb: !
Will sure be interesting to compare benchies with a big Java application, SuperPi... !

Freaky said:
That's a known fact, ain't it ? Did u try Q3 which is supposed to be the only Multi-Threaded game available, Jedi ?

Tried Quake3 and it did not make any difference at all. The FPS were what i would expect with the Single 4200 - needless to say the SD 3700 is still faster - at 2.7

There are switches which allow SMP, turns out they make the game slower.:(

So. Games not ready for dual cores yet.

PCJedi said:
Tried Quake3 and it did not make any difference at all. The FPS were what i would expect with the Single 4200 - needless to say the SD 3700 is still faster - at 2.7

There are switches which allow SMP, turns out they make the game slower.:(

So. Games not ready for dual cores yet.
What version of Q3 did you use? Anything beyond 1.16 has hosed up SMP.

PCJedi said:
checked and updated the version of Doom3 - 1.3.1302. This is the latest update and no difference. same as above.
Doom 3 doesnt support SMP. Its only Q3 version 1.16 and below that did support SMP. Not aware of any other game that did.

Many apologies..i am using doom3, i don't know how i managed to get confused. Will give Q3 a shot. Many Many apologies again. Will start final round of testing tomorrow.

Back