Xbox 360 countdown: Consolidated thread for news, reviews, info.

So it will probably look like a ps2 game with hi-res textures and much better lighting, but with all the clarity lost behind a mess of scanlines inturn severely degrading the effects of the said hi-res textures and lighting.

720P is in progessive scanning, 1080i is in interlaced scanning. Progressive scanning scan all the lines at one time, hence the picture is cleaner on it.

Microsoft Corp.'s scarce new Xbox 360 has sold out at most stores with many new owners flipping the video game consoles by the thousands on Web auction site eBay Inc. for almost twice the retail price.

Big retailers, including Best Buy Co. Inc. and Target Corp., reported running out of Microsoft's next-generation game system at most stores following its North American debut on Tuesday.

By midday Wednesday, nearly 7,700 Xbox 360s had sold on eBay at an average price of $786, a spokeswoman for eBay said. The basic unit retails for $300. A premium package that includes accessories and a hard-drive that allows gamers to play existing Xbox titles costs $400.

An eBay search for the term "Xbox 360" returned more than 30,000 listings. When sorted for items priced above $300, the number of listings shrank to around 18,000.

Despite the shortages and strong demand from gamers willing to pay top dollar for the latest technology, some sellers were apparently asking too much.

One sought-after Xbox 360 premium console was listed with a starting bid of $1,200 and a "Buy It Now" price of $2,500.

That auction expired on Wednesday without attracting an offer.

Source

It was bound to happen. The first discussion threads fill up with Xbox 360 owners complaining about crashes and shutdowns. Possibly there is an overheating problem.

It is not clear what causes the crashes or shutdowns. Maybe some consoles are placed in a poorly ventilated place, or maybe there is an issue with some of the consoles or the power supplies. The discussions are growing, but it does not look like an epidemic just yet.

It would have been close to a miracle if none of the shipped Xbox 360 units would have a problem. Maybe this could be the 11th top reason not to buy an Xbox 360.

Source

Microsoft Responds to Xbox 360 Crashes

Here is the report from Reuters

Allright I'm pissed at my dealer right now but as you know I've got my 360.My bro brought it home and kept it in his room,he didn't even let me come near the box.Instead he replied tht I shd wait till 11:00pm cause tht's where 8 of his frnds r coming to check the console and they r gonna stay till the next day.

After the last baboon had arrived,it was time to open the box,Mmm!the sweet smell of the package especially the plastic wrapper.After I had touched the console and the controller,I felt like I was on top of the world but Nooo! something should always go wrong and oh yeah I put my fingerprint on everything 360 stuff there was on the box(like the headset,gamer card etc.).It was time to play next-gen style and then they put the Halo 2(original of course),at tht time I went to grab me a midnight snack(it's always nice to eat junk food when u r playing),tht's when I heard the soundtrack and since I was a bigger halo fan than my bro and his frnds,I demanded my right to be the first one to frag(actually it's more like begging but I call it demanding)and nevertheless I had got the controller,tht's when I thought to go on a campaign mode,the inevitable had happened,my 360 just stopped.:mad: .So we thought it must be the overheating prob,we let it cool for 2 hrs and then started but to no avail,hell! I didn't get any error msg either.
At precisely 9:00am,I called up the dealer and told him of the problem and tht's where he said the most shocking thing.."Try the pirated cds".
Tht's where I learn't the guy had told me tht the 360 was modified even after specific instructions not to.
How he modified it?I have no freaking idea but he did tell me since the 360 was similiar to the xbox console,he had used the xbox modchip on the 360...so tht explains the failure,it had even screwed up the normal operations of the 360.Now the 360 had been returned and the answer I got was tht I'll recieve the unmodified console maybe by next week or tomorrow.By which my mind was saying

WHAT THE ****

I seriously thought of murdering him there but I didn't.Let this be a lesson to those who r gonna buy the 360,just dun rush in getting it,crap like this could happen to you,well I guess it's back to PS2.

^^ Sad.

How the hell did he get a Mod Chip so soon? :S

Its still in Beta stages i heard.

Some cheap Chinese Mod Chip maybe? :p...

^^ Read the post completely :p

he did tell me since the 360 was similiar to the xbox console,he had used the xbox modchip on the 360...so tht explains the failure,it had even screwed up the normal operations of the 360

:hap2: Woohoooo!!,I got me a new 360 (sry I couldn't reply on new year as my bro was trying it out and I was with him).Yup,I have a totally new unmodified console and now comes the bad news guys:( ,my bro wants to make sure tht I don't hog the 360 just like I did with the PS2 and he's more of a fan of the xbox while I'm with the playstation.

He has locked the console in the cabinet and takes the key with him to work and he comes back at 1 or 2 am by which I would be having my beauty sleep.Of course I could just break open the cabinet but tht would lead to more un-necessary complications.But keep watching this space,as I'll try my level best to get all the info of the 360.

Wish me luck guys.

madmonkey said:
:hap2: Woohoooo!!,I got me a new 360 (sry I couldn't reply on new year as my bro was trying it out and I was with him).Yup,I have a totally new unmodified console and now comes the bad news guys:( ,my bro wants to make sure tht I don't hog the 360 just like I did with the PS2 and he's more of a fan of the xbox while I'm with the playstation.

He has locked the console in the cabinet and takes the key with him to work and he comes back at 1 or 2 am by which I would be having my beauty sleep.Of course I could just break open the cabinet but tht would lead to more un-necessary complications.But keep watching this space,as I'll try my level best to get all the info of the 360.

Wish me luck guys.
I MUST TELL U THAT UR BROTHER IS VERY VERY MEAN !:mad:

BTW I AM HAVING A YOUNGER BROTHER AND I WOULD HAVE DONE THE SAME THING !:p

Oh yeah!! This time I'm gonna enjoy it uninterrupted,gonna try playing halo 2:bleh: and finish it today itself and then online fragfest....:hap2:

P.S.@bluff's bro-if u r reading this,then pls do send him to the battlefield,I'll make sure he won't trouble you again.

*looks at bluff and starts polishing his m4 with an evil grin*

XBOX 360's ARE CRAP!!!

Trust me everyone, wait until a second version comes out. I got one of the first versions of the core edition and two weeks later it crashed and wouldn't work. I'm now on my 3rd 360 and it has just started crashing as well. If you don't mind ****ing around to get it sorted, get one. If you hate phones, AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!!

Back