Android Xiaomi! Avoid this company like plague

Also, have you tried to turn the device off and then charging? If it’s charging at good speeds, like 30% or so in 30 minutes or less, then it’s likely a software problem.

You can pick up wireless charger from any store, it would be the easier way to charge your phone if USB isn’t working well.

OT - My LG G8x also had a charging issue. I used a local charger once, and from that point always it would only trickle charge. Went to the service venter and they replaced it (along with the motherboard as phone was throttling and rebooting under heavy load). Performance has dropped to a midrange experience and it lags horribly, hence I upgraded to iPhone.

It's worth trying a different cable if you haven't already. Sometimes a bad cable can prevent fast charging from working properly.

Also, cleaning the port could help. I had a similar issue with a power bank. It held charge well but only trickle charged regardless of the device or cable used. It was fixed after cleaning the port with a brush and 99% Isopropyl alcohol.

High end does not mean trouble free. On the contrary it might even have more points of failure. You could experience issues with even iPhones. It's just a matter of luck.

Try the steps above, if it does not help, make another visit to the service center with the charger or try another one (Sometimes it's just the people at a particular center that give us a bad experience). Be polite and don't get angry. It will only make things more frustrating for you.

Ignore them really. Nothing more to say.
I've tried a gazillion different cables, chargers and even power banks. With power bank charging is in negatives. And with all cables regardless it never crosses 500ma
I'm using a single MI phone since 4 years and use custom rom. And have faced this slow charging issues 100s of times.
I tried various fast chargers but to no avail and realized its a simple software issue and now I fix it on my own.

If you have any compatible devices in your vicinity try to charge those devices with the MI charger and see how it performs. It will be clear if its the charger or your phone. I think it might be a simple software issues or charging socket issue. This issues also persists when user roughly handles the port during charging/unplugging.
Whatever the case may be you might get a mobo replacement or the port replaced and if you are able to reach out and convince the higher authorities then even a device replacement cannot be ruled out.
Have one plus, it charged normally not in high speed cuz different technologies I guess
Also check for lint in the USB cable port of the phone . Some times that can prevent it from charging correctly due to bad contacts . Try cleaning it with a dry tooth brush .
Just my 2 cents . Cheers !
It's all clean down there..
Also, have you tried to turn the device off and then charging? If it’s charging at good speeds, like 30% or so in 30 minutes or less, then it’s likely a software problem.

You can pick up wireless charger from any store, it would be the easier way to charge your phone if USB isn’t working well.

OT - My LG G8x also had a charging issue. I used a local charger once, and from that point always it would only trickle charge. Went to the service venter and they replaced it (along with the motherboard as phone was throttling and rebooting under heavy load). Performance has dropped to a midrange experience and it lags horribly, hence I upgraded to iPhone.
I've tried charging with phone completely switched off. Completely drained battery like how few suggested ans in 4 hours I've gained 6% battery while charging with this 120w hypercharger

What are my options guys? Because this for sure seems a motherboard issue. Less than 30 days old device and in this state. My worst experience ever with purchasing a mobile phone device.

Thats trickle charging. It could very well be software issue.
Lithium batteries don't need trickle charging like lead acids. 500ma is the max current for USB 2.0 standard

@OP since you've eliminated cable and chargers as the culprits, the only possibilities are hardware and software. To charge above 500ma the USB port needs to negotiate higher current from the charger, which is not happening. Suggest you take charger + cable + phone to service centre and see what they say.

You might want to try a factory reset as well. Erasing the phone before handing it over is good anyway.

Sorry to keep parroting but have you tried a wireless charger?
Will be doing that once I reach office in a while.
Lithium batteries don't need trickle charging like lead acids. 500ma is the max current for USB 2.0 standard

@OP since you've eliminated cable and chargers as the culprits, the only possibilities are hardware and software. To charge above 500ma the USB port needs to negotiate higher current from the charger, which is not happening. Suggest you take charger + cable + phone to service centre and see what they say.

You might want to try a factory reset as well. Erasing the phone before handing it over is good anyway.
Factory reset done... No avail... It's still the same

Attachments

• IMG_20230530_072312.jpg
    IMG_20230530_072312.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 95
Charges at the maximum speed as long my screen is off and temperatures are under control.
Is there an option to disable Fast Charging? The phone knows a Fast Charger has been connected since it is showing the double lightning symbol. Regular charger will only show a single one.

Will be doing that once I reach office in a while.

Factory reset done... No avail... It's still the same
heh, it claims to be 120W fast charging but the Accubattery app disagrees.

When my LG does not fast charge LG's app tells me it is charging slowly. I guess Xiaomi does not have that level of finesse.

heh, it claims to be 120W fast charging but the Accubattery app disagrees.

When my LG does not fast charge LG's app tells me it is charging slowly. I guess Xiaomi does not have that level of finesse.
See this ..
Is there an option to disable Fast Charging? The phone knows a Fast Charger has been connected since it is showing the double lightning symbol. Regular charger will only show a single one.
If I don't use boost it charges at lower speeds.ive tried all that.. even tried battery test through call menu it says good.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-05-30-09-23-06-306_com.digibites.accubattery.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-05-30-09-23-06-306_com.digibites.accubattery.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Xiaomi also shows "quick charge" when connected to a fast charger. It just shows charging animation and says nothing when connected to a slow or incompatible charger.
When it is connected to 120 watt charger then it says "quick charge 120 watt".
Same for Realme phones.
There is no fancy app and I don't think an app is needed at all.
A simple notification on screen is enough which is already there.

Xiaomi also shows "quick charge" when connected to a fast charger. It just shows charging animation and says nothing when connected to a slow or incompatible charger.
What I mean is sometimes the connection is not good and the phone does not negotiate a fast charge even with compatible equipment.

I usually have to give the ports a clean or reseat the cable.

I guess Xiaomi does not have that level of finesse.
Not at all. My Xiaomi does show 3 levels of charging speeds:
Slow charging, charging and rapidly charging and even shows the est.time to charge.
What I mean is sometimes the connection is not good and the phone does not negotiate a fast charge even with compatible equipment.

I usually have to give the ports a clean or reseat the cable.
This is pretty normal these days with any brand phone any charger.

What happens is when we plug the phone for charging sometimes even on the fastest charger the phone tends to charge at snail speeds and if you check the charger is extremely hot.
My self - Rnd: To tackle this, turn off the charging, wait for a min or two and change the chargers side and then try. The phone charges fast and charger temps remain cool!

Updated: Visited the service center has to wait for hours as usual. the agent never came and eventually he checked via video call the amere readings. He plugged multiple charges with different cables same result.

They believe motherboard issue and it will take 1 month around for parts to come.

I lost my shit in entirety but they are like we can't do anything sir. we will escalate but this seems only solution. I threatened them that I will file consumer case. What else can I do at this stage?

I've tweeted and they gave generic reply. I inboxes them but no calls or no revert back from them.

This is like falling into a blackhole.

Updated: Visited the service center has to wait for hours as usual. the agent never came and eventually he checked via video call the amere readings. He plugged multiple charges with different cables same result.

They believe motherboard issue and it will take 1 month around for parts to come.

I lost my shit in entirety but they are like we can't do anything sir. we will escalate but this seems only solution. I threatened them that I will file consumer case. What else can I do at this stage?

I've tweeted and they gave generic reply. I inboxes them but no calls or no revert back from them.

Unless they're asking you to pay for the parts or service, I don't think they're legally in the wrong here. It is unfortunate that you have to go through this. But make sure you get a proper deadline for fixing this, in eMail preferably. Around a month sounds vague.

Unless they're asking you to pay for the parts or service, I don't think they're legally in the wrong here. It is unfortunate that you have to go through this. But make sure you get a proper deadline for fixing this, in eMail preferably. Around a month sounds vague.
Be happy that they have atleast accepted and fixing it under warranty.

1. Mi is low margin company. They don’t keep spares for premium products. Only on order they ship parts. You can call every service center in your city and check if they have motherboard in stock. Transfer your request to that service center.
2. Invest in wireless charger. More convenient and you also avoid the famous usb port failures.
3. No point in arguing with them unless they deny service.

Be happy that they have atleast accepted and fixing it under warranty.

1. Mi is low margin company. They don’t keep spares for premium products. Only on order they ship parts. You can call every service center in your city and check if they have motherboard in stock. Transfer your request to that service center.
2. Invest in wireless charger. More convenient and you also avoid the famous usb port failures.
3. No point in arguing with them unless they deny service.

Not sure why he should be happy?.
Making him wait for 1 month for a device which is just about 1 month old and he has paid hefty amount for it.
Mobile phones laptops are almost daily needs these days.
Pathetic how they force him to get charger to just check the phone.

All these companies especially Chinese are having honeymoon period in India.
Poor consumer laws . High profit margins on their product , big consumer market and sales, low customer service cost.
Oh and also Tax evasion and India govt. Scared to take serious actions on chinese firm because of Chinese wrath.

Majhe hai inke...

Last edited:
Not sure why he should be happy?.
Making him wait for 1 month for a device which is just about 1 month old and he has paid hefty amount for it.
Mobile phones laptops are almost daily needs these days.
Pathetic how they force him to get charger to just check the phone.

Because that is how it is. There is no law that says that the service has to be done in c amount of time. The reason why we get Mi phones for such lower cost is because they cut costs in some areas. They cannot afford Apple and Samsung like service and spare inventory. My galaxy S7 had broken back panel, 4 years after the phone was launched and they fixed it inside a week. Last year, wife’s K20 pro had same issue and Mi service centre said that they neither have stock nor can they order part. I just ordered a skin and applied on the back. Threw the phone into cupboard and wife is using my backup OP8.

This is why I decided never to look at an Mi phone after I saw how slow their service is. Moved from Poco F1 to OP8 and now on iPhone. My Apple Pencil had a problem and boy, the kind of service I got is a pipe dream for Mi users. But then you have to pay a lot more upfront for such service.

TL;DR : either pay higher cost for peace of mind and top notch service or pay less and face service hurdles.

Usually, for newer products parts aren't available so soon as products failures like a mobo in your case is just 1 in 10000s or so.
Till then use an alt. device and let them do their job as its a usual process. A months time is usually a max estimation but usually parts arrive in 2-3 weeks or so.

Back