YOU Broadband - Chennai - Beware

Haha sure you arent, I was in the similar situation 2-3 days ago and then it dropped to 2Mb/s then it stopped working after a couple days they got it working stating that the MAC address hadn't been updated in their systems, but now its steady at 33Mb/s!!

@Jasku - it looks like a temporary routing issue, everyone is routed through the 100 Mbps plan for load testing / sales promotion / network configuration error reasons.
Will get resolved soon. I do not play CS, so no idea about pings to gaming servers, as a general observation, servers outside India have a ping of >200ms.

@technofast - 95+% of content we access is located outside India, so please check your speeds outside the Indian gateway - EU, US, AU etc. Speeds to Indian servers will be through the roof for even local cable wallah ISPs too.

Well... I would like to update my standing on You Broadband.

It's now a month since I got the connection. Speeds are fine, but there's always that one guy (or many) who is set out to download the internet in its entirety and ruins everyone's speed. At such times, I get knocked down to 1 or 2 Mbps.

I also just realized that my connection was completely down 5 times in this month --- each time, it took almost the entire day to get connected again ---.
And now my SpeedTest wouldn't finish in time because somehow they've decided to go back to 56k dial-in modems.

4216065208.png

I was mildly surprised that their customer care spoke normal English, and thought they had something that actually works. And then I realize that each time I call, I get a canned response of "4 to 12 hours to fix". And the ever annoying SMS stating there was a "Fiber Cut".

Before I go back to Airtel again and pay my entire family's life savings each month, I'm gonna try ACT next (had Airtel initially, tested Docomo copper as they didn't want to bring Fiber. Docomo was equally shit w.r.t getting back up quickly in case of a problem -- of which there were many --).

Or should I just ignore it? Do ACT guys have disconnects too?

Well... I would like to update my standing on You Broadband.

It's now a month since I got the connection. Speeds are fine, but there's always that one guy (or many) who is set out to download the internet in its entirety and ruins everyone's speed. At such times, I get knocked down to 1 or 2 Mbps.

I also just realized that my connection was completely down 5 times in this month --- each time, it took almost the entire day to get connected again ---.
And now my SpeedTest wouldn't finish in time because somehow they've decided to go back to 56k dial-in modems.

4216065208.png

I was mildly surprised that their customer care spoke normal English, and thought they had something that actually works. And then I realize that each time I call, I get a canned response of "4 to 12 hours to fix". And the ever annoying SMS stating there was a "Fiber Cut".

Before I go back to Airtel again and pay my entire family's life savings each month, I'm gonna try ACT next (had Airtel initially, tested Docomo copper as they didn't want to bring Fiber. Docomo was equally shit w.r.t getting back up quickly in case of a problem -- of which there were many --).

Or should I just ignore it? Do ACT guys have disconnects too?

I think the FTTH service most times is a very area specific phenomenon, if you are seeing constant downtime and poor performance, do try ACT they are supposed to be a better overall. I must say almost one month with YOU and I am pleasantly surprised, had one day downtime only because the mac hadnt been cloned, other than that has been great!

I think the FTTH service most times is a very area specific phenomenon, if you are seeing constant downtime and poor performance, do try ACT they are supposed to be a better overall. I must say almost one month with YOU and I am pleasantly surprised, had one day downtime only because the mac hadnt been cloned, other than that has been great!

Yes, I agree it is area specific. For me YOU works fine always until now.

How about others clogging your lines? Does that happen?

I am not sure what you mean by 'clogging', if you mean experience a downgrade in speed, havent really experienced it, but I use the internet at night and weekends primarily, so not sure if that makes a difference.

Clogging = the folks you're sharing the line with going crazy downloading the entire universe. I get <3 mbps at those times. Is it possible to get a dedicated line? What would that cost..

Did they install it by default or did you specifically request for it?
They installed it by default as the booster picks up another 5 connections from my terrace. The booster power point is plugged to my power outlet from my house. It constantly needs to be up and should not be switched off. I get a credit of Rs.150/- for this connection.

Back