Linux Your favourite linux distro?

Emrebel

Adept
A simple question: Which is your favourite linux distro?

I personally try a handful of them by loading into the VM.
Personally liked xubuntu. It might not be as shiny as other distros but I really like it for its simplicity and being lightweight.

I have also tried some others like Kubuntu, Zorin OS, Manjaro, popOS, mx linux

I multi boot various distros alongside Windows 10 mostly Ubuntu based and my main 2 favourites are elementary os and KDE neon.

I also have stock Ubuntu, Ubuntu budgie, fedora workstation and opensuse tumble weed, all on my main desktop and laptop bare metal not VMs.

And yeah I have tried so many others like arch, manjaro, kaos, zorin, deepin, mint, kubuntu, pop os etc etc but only temporarily.
Been using Linux since around 1995 when slackware and redhat used to come on CDs with magazines.

I multi boot various distros alongside Windows 10 mostly Ubuntu based and my main 2 favourites are elementary os and KDE neon.

I also have stock Ubuntu, Ubuntu budgie, fedora workstation and opensuse tumble weed, all on my main desktop and laptop bare metal not VMs.

And yeah I have tried so many others like arch, manjaro, kaos, zorin, deepin, mint, kubuntu, pop os etc etc but only temporarily.
Been using Linux since around 1995 when slackware and redhat used to come on CDs with magazines.
I am yet to try elementary os and KDE neon

I am yet to try elementary os and KDE neon

If you're going to try elementary os then just a tip that the website says purchase it but it's a pay what you want model meaning you can choose the custom option and enter zero amount to get the free download link.

Also the current stable release is version 5.1 based on Ubuntu 18.04 so you might feel it's a bit dated.

The beta for next upcoming version 6 is now available and is looking promising. I believe the beta is available at builds.elementary.io website.

Favourite till now for me has been Pop and Mint.
However I want to try Arch. So Would it be better to straight up use Arch itself, or should I first try Arch based distros like Garuda and Endeavour?

Currently have Ubuntu installed alongside Windows. Also have a rPi4 with Raspberry Pi OS. Has anyone tried Bharat Operating System (BOSS Linux) ?

Last edited:
Favourite till now for me has been Pop and Mint.
However I want to try Arch. So Would it be better to straight up use Arch itself, or should I first try Arch based distros like Garuda and Endeavour?

What about manjaro too? I'm personally not a fan of arch and arch based distro due to maintenance work and good chances of me breaking something

Tried these, for development purpose, Ubuntu or Fedora.

for hobbies or other stuff - Ubuntu Budgie, Debian, Elementary, Manjaro, Mint, MX and CentOS

Planning to try hands on Rancher and CoreOS for Containerization.

All in all - every Linux offers its own plus and minus; nothing favorite, goes with what is needed to suit the requirement/objective.

images-7.jpeg

I tried installing arch, messed up a command and ended up erasing my laptop HDD lol. Memories.

I'm currently triple booting Win10, MacOS and Manjaro. I wanted to set up a Windows KVM in Manjaro for gaming, but due to some reason things didn't work out (I can pass through my GPU, but any GPU intensive process just crash silently). So now triple booting. Though I use Win10 for misc work I use MobaXTerm to connect to RHEL (I work in Academic research).

Also RIP Centos.

I tried installing arch, messed up a command and ended up erasing my laptop HDD lol. Memories.
Oh no, I still do it sometimes. Recently I wiped my hackintosh partition while reinstalling windows lol.

I wanted to set up a Windows KVM in Manjaro for gaming
I've completely given up gaming on linux, GPU pass-through is pita and proton is just not worth the effort to get the games running properly. Also WSL + windows terminal combo is pretty good these days.

Since the beginning of time, I've loved and used Debian. I've been using it on and off since 2008, and as my primary OS since 2013. I do a network install and then configure i3 on it. If you are interested, my dotconfig files are here.

I do wish to try out Arch one day, their wiki is amazing!

I was using Ubuntu (latest LTS available) since last ~10 years. But since last 1 year, I switched to laptop and since it came with Win10, I am using that.
For normal PC usage - browsing/media/some coding - I am not inclined towards any OS. Both Win10 & Ubuntu serves me good.
I just miss the terminal in Windows and occasional CS:GO in ubuntu. ;)

And about Linux flavours, I might have tried Elementary, Mint, CentOS, Fedora, Suse in the past (2007~12 era). But I don't see the point of trying out different OSes, since I am content with Ubuntu. Also I don't care much about customization.

Since I was hearing a lot about manjaro lately, when I got the laptop, I wanted to try that once. But there were some issues with Ideapad laptop or Ryzen processor (I don't remember now), and so I didn't install that, never tried after that.

Back