Linux Your favourite linux distro?

The last time I used Linux was probably a decade ago. Started off with SuSe for few years and later moved to Ubuntu when Canonical started sending free CDs. I enjoyed Knoppix and Games Knoppix the most, they would run straight off a CD.

these days i am slowly drifting towards debian. its soo stable. been using buster for dev lxd container in my ubuntu for a while now.
Debian Stable rocks. Although, I use MX Linux which is based on Debian Stable with Xfce as DE and systemd as init. It's stable and works pretty good. MX Tools has some good utilities too.
Favourite till now for me has been Pop and Mint.
However I want to try Arch. So Would it be better to straight up use Arch itself, or should I first try Arch based distros like Garuda and Endeavour?
Well, you can jump directly to Arch, but it would be great to get some idea of package manager and related commands by installing another distro based on it. Maybe Manjaro?

I have installed and tried 20+ Linux distros on my computer, but felt Ubuntu is overall the best, followed by openSUSE and then others. These top distros offers updates regularly, that's the best part. But your fav. distro would be based on requirements mostly, like programming, security, etc.

I know nothing about Linux but the download rig is a very old computer ( possibly 3rd gen i5, 4GB memory and 2 HDDs of 1TB each)
Don't download movies or anything, just Kontakt libraries ( some are very big)
I'm not even sure who installed Ubuntu in it 5/6 years ago but it still works perfectly fine as a download machine.
Wish Linux could run some proper DAWs and few plugins absolutely necessary for mixing mastering...and made audio routing a little bit easier like analog days.

Many multimedia and audio-centric distros available.

I have Linux Mint, Opensuse and Archlinux installed in my desktop. It is MX Linux that I found most appropriate for my Celeron J1800 based mini-pc which I use most of the time

I am using Feren OS for the past month dual booted alongside Win 10. I like it. But of course, Kubuntu is probably much better. I switched from Linux mint because of its horrible sound issues and its lack of support for high refresh rate monitors. I have 2x 144 hz monitors and everytime i putt my PC to hibernate and come back, there would be horrendous disturbance on the screens, for which refresh rate would have to be dialed down to 60, which is not worth it even for desktop tasks for me. Feren OS has no audio or video issues so far. :)

For me Debian is the most stable one, Fedora fastest and on bleeding edge for the brave while Ubuntu the most versatile and also my favourite.

My main os is Fedora.
man Fedoa 34 looks dope, thinking to test drive it in VM sooner. New user planing to migrate to linux after win11 must look into this along with Zorain.
my version on Lubuntu is EOL for over 3 months now, was thinking to migrate to debian purely because i dont have time and patience left to do periodic maintenance.

Kinda off topic I guess, but does anyone have experience with clustering 2 or more windows pc via WSL2 and also using GPU passthrough? If so, which distro did you choose and why? I need to cluster 2 PCs for Apache Spark but wanted to know if anyone else has any experience doing the same. Planning to use Ubuntu 20.04 for now, if there's anything better for wsl2 please let me know.

No, don't have any favorite OS, just use what serves your needs the best. The OS should be mostly transparent and get out of the way for whatever applications that you use primarily.

• For the vast majority of use cases (especially games), Windows serves you well. Most of the big FOSS packages are available on Windows.
  • *BSDs are much better organized than Linux but have limited hardware/software support. If you're gonna make some kind of file server, do consider a ZFS based setup (with enough ram)
  • Linux has a very rich command line toolset, you can combine them in a lot of ways to manage things .I like Vim a lot, and it gets even better when you have useful commands (like awk) available in the os. I used Gentoo Linux the most, had a 5 year stint using only that before the lack of time and a stable electricity threw a spanner in the works.

No, don't have any favorite OS, just use what serves your needs the best. The OS should be mostly transparent and get out of the way for whatever applications that you use primarily.

• For the vast majority of use cases (especially games), Windows serves you well. Most of the big FOSS packages are available on Windows.
  • *BSDs are much better organized than Linux but have limited hardware/software support. If you're gonna make some kind of file server, do consider a ZFS based setup (with enough ram)
  • Linux has a very rich command line toolset, you can combine them in a lot of ways to manage things .I like Vim a lot, and it gets even better when you have useful commands (like awk) available in the os. I used Gentoo Linux the most, had a 5 year stint using only that before the lack of time and a stable electricity threw a spanner in the works.

So which OS(es) do you run at the moment?

Back