Your favourite mango(s)

Alphonso when its good or Badami which my fruit seller swears is the same. But i think not. The alphonso we get here are local and not from Ratnagiri, i guess all of their produce goes abroad.

I've not heard of half of the others mentioned i guess they don't travel very far south :(

The others i've seen here are bangnapalli, raspuri, sindhura, mulgoba, malika, totapuri, neelam (much later in the season).

Tho the first two always hit the spot for me :)

I don't care the type... as long as it's good and chilled, I love it.

Oh yeah... and if it's diced, all the more good... I use to like to suck on them as kid, but it's just too messy now.. guess I'm getting old or too lazy for my own good. :p

superczar said:
Langda, or Malda as it is called in the eastern parts

Haven't found it in Chennai so far though :(

the best ones are grown in the northern plains (uttar pradesh etc.)
a lot of times mango sellers will try and pass some mangoes off as 'local' langda but they just don't have the flavor that the real ones have.

Roxtin said:
Langda and Dasheri all the way

yep, these two would be my pick as well. i only like eating mangoes though. can't stand it in any other form like ice cream, aam ras (basically pulp), mango shakes etc. i live in gujarat and you should see how gujjus go through aam ras... it's seriously creepy how much they consume :bleh:

Bluffmaster said:
The Left one and the right one.

You bugger! :lol:

Anything as long as it tastes sweet (not lousy!) and is served chilled (not frozen!). :eek:hyeah:

Lol I dont care about the anatomy/sciences. :lol:

spindoctor said:
yep, these two would be my pick as well. i only like eating mangoes though. can't stand it in any other form like ice cream, aam ras (basically pulp), mango shakes etc. i live in gujarat and you should see how gujjus go through aam ras... it's seriously creepy how much they consume :bleh:
Yep I am the only one at my home who EATS mangoes :rofl:

Rest everyone is crazy for Aam Ras.. Though all of them are Alphonso lovers..

And me.. Badaaaami. :hap2:

P.S :- Yup Gujju ;)

+1 for Kalapadu, it has got a special aroma around its skin(very sweet as well)

i don't know what it is called in other places but in my home town(vellore) and its surrounding places it is one of the fast moving and very famous mango variety and my favt as well

As an Andhra guy, I grew up on Banginapalli for the most part and I ate a lot of that. In fact, everyone in my house used to have mangoes every day when its in season and most often its eaten with rice. Chilled Mango slices tastes heavenly when eaten along with dal mixed in rice or even curd rice.

I have tried some other types of mangoes including the Alphonso, but with most of those variates, I got a odd kind of irritation in the throat that cannot be exactly be described as a typical sore throat, but made be cough uncontrollably till tears came out of my eyes. So I avoid eating mangoes other than the Banginapalli. I haven't had mangoes ever since I moved to north India about 7 years back. However I still have fresh mango ice cream quite often and I love it. I also love home made green mango squash and the aam panna served at my office occasionally.

But of all the seasonal summer fruits, I love eating water melon more than mangoes and if there's anything I love more than eating water melon, its cutting one up. :p

arre bhai its amazing to hear mango being taken along with rice mixed with dal.

i cant take that:p

its a delicay to be savoured after the meals for me :p

other than mangoes i like papita

dusseri is the most preferred by me but its still to come here

Back