Your favourite mango(s)

Malda is basically Langra of highest quality and produced in Bihar only (Digha, a small place near Patna). It certainly Supersede the all expectations of taste of mango :hap2:

superczar said:
Langda, or Malda as it is called in the eastern parts

Haven't found it in Chennai so far though :(

Damm i didnt know the there were so many varities of mangoes, must try some.

anyway for me alphonso rules, isnt it called the King of all mangoes. :)

I'm jealous... cause I love mango's... I get them here in California but I am sure that they are probably not as good. Mind you there is a health food store near here that has unsweetened dried mango ... which I also love because it's easy to take as a snack.

PiXeLpUsHeR said:
I'm jealous... cause I love mango's... I get them here in California but I am sure that they are probably not as good.

Can't you get alpfonso's where you are ?

Bush lifted the ban a cpl of years ago on Indian mangos and all the PIO's were ecstatic.

Alphonso from Ratnagiri, those are definitely the best I had, I love Mango pulp, and alphonso + "Paayri" tastes heavenly in the pulp.

Hacker said:
Damm i didnt know the there were so many varities of mangoes, must try some.

That's just for india, see whats it like for the world

spindoctor said:
the best ones are grown in the northern plains (uttar pradesh etc.)
a lot of times mango sellers will try and pass some mangoes off as 'local' langda but they just don't have the flavor that the real ones have.

Can anyone say GO :D

Nothing beats the "Maldah" I used to have straight from my grandfather's orchard, used to be as large as my head almost at that time ! (I was 10). Climbing the trees to pluck and then eating them was an unforgettable experience. Nowadays, all the mangoes I find in Mumbai seem so ridiculously priced and artificially ripened, I feel I have lost my love for mangoes. But how I crave for them each season ! If anyone knows any place in Mumbai where I can get unadulterated mangoes (not ripened using Carbides), it would be a great help.

And yes I feel Alphonso is just overhyped. Even Dussehri tastes better than. Langda and Maldah are the same breed but taste different as they are grown in different regions (Langda in UP, Maldah in Bihar / Bengal). Maldah got its name I think from Malda town in Bengal or vice versa.

Just had Aamras from a local restaurant and it tasted god awful ! Please help me in procuring some good ripe mangoes (now that sounds weird ! :p)

IMHO ppl will always swear by the local varieties, as they are available both readily and cheap. Any 'imported' varieties will either be prohibitively expensive or simply of not that good a quality. So just enjoy yer mangoes..start with Andhra safeda in April and finish with Malihabadi/Sahranpuri dushheri in July end :D

Can't you get alpfonso's where you are ?

Bush lifted the ban a cpl of years ago on Indian mangos and all the PIO's were ecstatic.

They don't list Mango's by name here... you just see a bunch of mango's in the grocery store... and I would imagine they are not as fresh and juicy as picking them right off the tree. We don't get much in the way of choice as far as I know... one of my favorite deserts is Thai - Mango with sticky rice and a little bit of sweet sauce...mmmmmmm yum

Surprised to hear that, maybe you might have more luck at the local indian shops. I've read positive reports from Jackson heights, so might hold for SF too.

PiXeLpUsHeR said:
They don't list Mango's by name here... you just see a bunch of mango's in the grocery store... and I would imagine they are not as fresh and juicy as picking them right off the tree. We don't get much in the way of choice as far as I know... one of my favorite deserts is Thai - Mango with sticky rice and a little bit of sweet sauce...mmmmmmm yum

Im sure someone here would volunteer to package a big container full of mangoes to your city..:p

Anyone here who prefer to eat Mangoes along with 'sal' ( fruit cover.....meh donno what it's called:ashamed: )?

Fruit cover have more Nutrient contents than actually fruit does, so i end eating Banana peel (cover) sometimes(It's not tasty though).

I never had ate Mango with it's peel/sal (except of Mango type: 'Raghu Amba')until i visited my Friends house a week back. He ate mango along with it's peel/sal(it was Alphanso), so i did the same.
Now, i am used to eating Mango with sal/peel. It tastes bit bitter, but not that much with sweet Mango.

Back