YouTube Vanced discontinued after a legal threat from Google

mzsa1994

Disciple
I guess it got too big for google to ignore. RIP
I was using Vanced and Firefox with uBlock but I guess I'll root my devices and go back to system wide ad blocking.

This is bad news. That was one app that worked brilliantly. Screen off and watch youtube with battery savings.

It will continue to work until google breaks it again and then you're out of luck.

Any alternatives ?

rooting isn't an option on my phone

Newpipe and Skytube. Unfortunately neither allow sorting of search results. Anyone aware of any option which allows sorting ?

This is bad news. That was one app that worked brilliantly. Screen off and watch youtube with battery savings.

It will continue to work until google breaks it again and then you're out of luck.

Any alternatives ?

rooting isn't an option on my phone

Use NewPipe x Sponsorblock from IzzyDroid repo for F-Droid which has Sponsorblock and Dislike count. It is however based on the web version and does not support Google login, though you can import the subscription list exported from your account.

LibreTube is a new one but is largely barebones as of now. Otherwise, SkyTube is also there. There is a YouTube Pro APK that is doing the rounds that is a hacked app like Vanced but doesn't have much information on it, so probably better to stick to FOSS apps.

Vanced which is basically a reverse engineered / cracked YouTube app

This is the reason for the C&D order I guess. Others which scrap youtube website and somehow make things like ad blocking and sponsor block work, they should not be impacted. I use smart tube next on firestick and cerecube on iPad / iPhone and hopefully they don't have any issues.

Brave has had misadventures with user data in the past. Firefox with uBlock Origin on Android is a much better option.
I have been watching both mozilla and brave and for some reason, at this point I trust brave more than mozilla. Besides, chromium is just plain faster than gecko and I don't think that's changing anytime soon.

NewPipe are likely to work on the development now that they are the major player in this, Youtube Vanced devs have an announcement lined up for the 16th, I believe it's gonna be the last date when we can download the APK after that they will be removed from their site. Such a sad day :disappointed:

Back