YouTube Vanced discontinued after a legal threat from Google

Privacy is a myth, all you guys concerned about it should get off the internet altogether.
TBH if you're working with that much sensitive data then you know how to secure it already.
For the average person with ublock most browsers are sufficient in their functionality and it all boils down to personal preference, what matters more is browsing etiquette and not visiting dubious websites or clicking unsolicited links.

Firefox introduced a new sandbox called RLBox, so yet again that part of the text is extremely irrelevant.

As for Android, it is again a case of Google pushing Chromium everywhere. If you are rooted, you can change the WebView and Firefox has Geckoview as a WebView. The point of having two remote attack surfaces is ridiculous, as for example, if Firefox is patched and Chromium isn't, then Chromium will provide two attack surfaces instead as a browser and a WebView.

Firefox introduced a new sandbox called RLBox, so yet again that part of the text is extremely irrelevant.

As for Android, it is again a case of Google pushing Chromium everywhere. If you are rooted, you can change the WebView and Firefox has Geckoview as a WebView. The point of having two remote attack surfaces is ridiculous, as for example, if Firefox is patched and Chromium isn't, then Chromium will provide two attack surfaces instead as a browser and a WebView.
The article is talking about desktop sandbox. Firefox on android does not have a sandbox yet. https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1565196

Firefox security model is broken. Using such browser on android you increase the attack surface for yourself. Firefox on android is slow, consumes more battery and does not load all websites properly. I will recommend Bromite browser for android. It's based on chromium and hardened. https://github.com/bromite/bromite

Firefox is dead. Google is funding it to make it not progress. I just use it for containers on desktop for non important stuff.

The article is talking about desktop sandbox. Firefox on android does not have a sandbox yet. https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1565196

Firefox security model is broken. Using such browser on android you increase the attack surface for yourself. Firefox on android is slow, consumes more battery and does not load all websites properly. I will recommend Bromite browser for android. It's based on chromium and hardened. https://github.com/bromite/bromite

Firefox is dead. Google is funding it to make it not progress. I just use it for containers on desktop for non important stuff.
Firefox is behind the curve in development which I mentioned previously and the sandbox will make its way through to Android in the near future.

The performance parity is largely exaggerated. Again, the idea is not to be a privacy nut. I have used Bromite previously as a WebView and unfortunately it ends up breaking stuff as well. At the end of the day, it is not pushing browser development in any meaningful way as it is a Chromium fork.

Reiterating the need for Firefox as an alternative to a Google driven web. The fact that I can setup Firefox with self-hardening and my preferred extensions is a plus.

Was a big Duckduckgo user until their recent censorship blunder. Ditched their browser and search engine.
Now I used bromite and brave on Android with brave search as the search engine.
in censorship - are you referring to this
Code:
The search engine DuckDuckGo will be down-ranking sites that spread Russian propaganda and disinformation.
In a tweet, founder and CEO Gabriel Weinberg wrote that the privacy-focused search engine would be
releasing updates that would ensure Russian disinformation sites rank further down in search results.
Earlier this month, DuckDuckGo announced it would pause its relationship with Russian-state owned
search engine Yandex.

bromide is android only. plus it wasn't as smooth as ddg when i tested in android.

I have tested Brave search when they released -- results were far inferior (guess its just bing search results with new skin) to any other search engines.
Brave could only get better if more and more people use it to get the traction it needed.

Privacy is a myth.
because 90% of user doesn't even know that there is a word in dictionary called "privacy".
newpipe is also going downhill - they take considerable time (days) to fix super critical issues which even prevents playback.
I was about to migrate to vanced .. before this announcement.

future doesn't look good.

Last edited:
Back