ZTE Blade aka DELL XCD 35 aka Orange San Francisco Thread

logistopath said:
BTW, @arun and others, has anyone tried both GSF and Blue Ginger v5..? Which one seems better?

I haven't used both but from what I've read, Blue Ginger is GSF with some bells and whistles. Also, certain releases of GSF introduced new bugs and we had to keep track of all these. What Psyloid does is takes a stable base and builds on it, it's the same he did with CM7 Green also, where we don't have to keep track of new bugs introduced in CM7 nightlies and a bunch of third party fixes. Now that he's left the forum, I don't think there will be any more releases of BG so we'll all have to move to GSF, I'm using BG V5 currently and it's pretty good.

Arihant.EXE said:
Alright, so can anyone tell me if it's worth getting this phone right now or are there any more VFM phones available? If it's worth, then how to source it? My mobile phone IQ has gotten all rusty so I'd really appreciate the pointers! :)

Now Blade is almost a year old. Though still an excellent device due to the VFM and the massive community behind it, there are powerful options now for a little more money like the Spice Mi410, Vibrant/Captivate or even a Moto Atrix. Depends on your budget.

arun687 said:
Also, certain releases of GSF introduced new bugs and we had to keep track of all these. What Psyloid does is takes a stable base and builds on it, it's the same he did with CM7 Green also, where we don't have to keep track of new bugs introduced in CM7 nightlies and a bunch of third party fixes.
Hang on, isn't GSF supposed to be based on the more stable AOSP gingerbread whereas CM7 is supposed to be more buggy?

Man, 2.3 has even more variants now than froyo used to have...

^ Yes, but I remember versions after b4 introduced a few graphical glitches. Psyloid sticked to b4 until those were sorted out before updating to a newer base.

Sent from my Blade using Tapatalk

Its not the end for our blades, newer CM7s are really good. Cm7 has been the best ROM ever since N100 or so IMO.

BTW anybody on the new 2.3.5 CM7 nightlies?, 2.3.5 ver doesn't do well at all on my phone. It becomes very laggy.

Anyone here using the new fancy widgets? i'm on cm7.0.0 and adw launcher and just cant get it to show the clock skin. it's stuck in the weather skin by default.

I ordered a Dell XCD 35 on Monday, flashed it immediately with GSF b17 and it indeed is stable. I haven't got the time to flash CM7 onto it but have heard its still buggy. Maybe the source release in September will help CM devs to fix the issues. Waiting for that eagerly..

btw, if anyone has a Screen Protector and/or a Nilikin/Jelly Case I'm interested in buying it :)

Julian said:
Anyone here using the new fancy widgets? i'm on cm7.0.0 and adw launcher and just cant get it to show the clock skin. it's stuck in the weather skin by default.
never mind, i was trying the 4x4 widget which had only one skin. the 4x2 one had what i wanted.

The GSF 20 has bits of Skate in it and it's really good..

One thing is annoying. Does anybody know how to reduce the number of homescreens in the stock gingerbread launcher? I changed to Launcher Pro because I couldn't change the number of screens. The 3D app drawer in the Gingerbread launcher is really cool!
arun687 said:
Total chaos at modaco. Seems wbaw is banned and psyloid has left the forum due to some fight. What's gonna be the future development like for the best 2 roms of the blade? :(

Sent from my Blade using Tapatalk

I got banned too! :D That stupid admin who got so pissed off when anybody called him names banned me for calling him an arse lol. Fibblesan then emailed me apologizing for the mess and saying that I was unbanned.

Wbaw's back though and he's started giving negative reps on anybody who posts silly questions in the thread- LOL!

Is gsf really much of an improvement over say the latest cm7 nightly? what are the real advantages against just saying that it has newer components than cm7.

i absolutely hate the gingerbread launcher for it's lack of customizability and can live with the slowdown of adwlauncher for all the options it has. same with cm7's settings.

wbaw seems to have a bit of an attitude/ego issue. sure, here's done a lot of good work, but even i think the way he was blasting psyloid was a bit high-handed.

Yeah that's true mate, Psyloid did give credit to Wbaw, but still Wbaw was pissed about the 30% speed increase, which was frankly bollox. All he did was optimize the RAM usage so that some APK's like Launcher pro worked faster. That defo didn't warrant the "stealing" jibe from wbaw though. :(

I don't know much about the latest CM7 nightly, but GSF gives you absolute stability with super speed. Sure, it might not be that customizable, but Wbaw is improving the ROM by putting in bits from the Skate.

Has the battery drain problems from CM7 been sorted out? Does anyone know?

Lol, yeah the 30% kinda sounds like some of our clothing and shoe discount offers :eek:hyeah: It was kinda stupid of the person to ask about the speed gain of blueginger on the gsf thread, but still ... most probably he just caught wbaw on a bad day ...

I'm not sure what people are talking about cm7's instability. i first moved to cm nightly39 and 7.0.0rc1&rc4 and found it quite ok. then after my swapped OSF, i went to 7.0.0 stable and used that for 2 months no probs. Just switched to gen2 and nightly158 (i did try 7.1rc1 and 7.0.3stable). The only bug i've had in all these months was the phone rarely freezing during a charge, both ac and usb. and the wifi thing, but that's common i guess.

never experienced a battery drain issue. heavy gprs/BT use seems to drain the battery pretty quick, say in 4-5 hours, but anything else and the phone runs for almost 2 days. it's not my primary phone so i don't use it for calls much.

on a side note, does anyone know how to make an app run at startup. easily. it's all this coding etc. for simple tasks which keeps me using windows rather than linux.

I'm planning to upgrade from GSF b16 to b20. The only thing that concerns me in b20 is the non-functional BT.. Everything else looks great (as heard from the users @ MoDaCo. Lets see how it goes.

@JT_daniel: Does the dolby effect in GSF b20 improve the sound quality considerably?

I've been on CM 7.0.3 (stable) since the last two months. Thinking of updating to the latest nightly. Is it the same process as what I had used to flash the 7.0.3 ROM or do I have to do anything different this time?

gnarula said:
@JT_daniel: Does the dolby effect in GSF b20 improve the sound quality considerably?

Definitely worth moving to B20, purely for the Dolby effect. It's fantastic, you have to try it to know the difference!

Not so sure about moving to B21 though. I don't see the point, there doesn't seem to be any big difference between the two, other than that Wbaw has gone back to the leaked version rather than the Skate port. He's created another ROM called MCSF for that (funny name! :) ). You lose Dolby too :(

I think I'm going to stay on B20.

JT_daniel said:
Definitely worth moving to B20, purely for the Dolby effect. It's fantastic, you have to try it to know the difference!

Not so sure about moving to B21 though. I don't see the point, there doesn't seem to be any big difference between the two, other than that Wbaw has gone back to the leaked version rather than the Skate port. He's created another ROM called MCSF for that (funny name! :) ). You lose Dolby too :(

I think I'm going to stay on B20.

Is the volume (through headphones) better. The sound output of this phone is absolutely crap. I am thinking of getting a different phone.

Back