ZTE Blade aka DELL XCD 35 aka Orange San Francisco Thread

raksrules said:
^^ I had done a TPT image flash since i was on Gen1 before so it was like done all over the PS4 that i had before. Do i need to do anything now ?
I had the same problem too. I will say it is a half-assed attempt to build up a ROM. Nothing but trouble, I had to wait till R13 to get back my backed up SMS.

@Arun

In case we are not satisfied with the GSF at the moment, is it advisable to switch to CM7 ? How is the battery life in CM7 ? Too many apps FC on my phone and i dont want all this to happen. I am on B12 currently. Or may be try the Blue Ginger ?? How do you compare BG with GSF since both are based on leaked 2.3 and the base is same.

Btw i have few MKVs which are small in size and less bitrate (23 minute episode in 85MB) which stutter / are non playable in almost all the players i tried. Is it all because of the clock speed, low H/W ?

If yes then please suggest me the best (and easiest) software to convert my videos to a format compatible for this phone which can be played flawlessly by the stock player or Mobo/rock player ?

^^ Hey Raks I installed BG on my brothers XCD35 working quite stable. Not faced any FC till now. Planning to shift to GSF Beta 14. About video conversion, use handbrake. Though in haven't tried playing any video's on the phone, will convert few videos and give it a try soon :)

^^Checked one thread on modaco and they say to use handbrake with settings as
MP4 Container / H.264 Baseline profile / AAC Audio and this will give the best performance for that video. So i will be trying that.
Btw one user on modaco has listed his presets file of handbrake which we can use to make life easy

Here is the preset file...just copy and paste this in the file already existing (file name: user_presets.xml at location %appdata%\handbrake\)

Code:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<ArrayOfPreset xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
  <Preset>
    <Category>Movies</Category>
    <Name>1280w, AAC Stereo, RF20</Name>
    <Query> -f mp4 --detelecine --decomb --denoise="weak" --markers -X 1280 --loose-anamorphic  -e x264 -q 20 -a 1 -E faac -6 dpl2 -R 48 -B 160 -D 0.0 -x b-adapt=2:rc-lookahead=50 --verbose=1</Query>
    <CropSettings>false</CropSettings>
    <Version>0.9.4</Version>
  </Preset>
  <Preset>
    <Name>1280w, AAC Stereo, RF22</Name>
    <Query> -f mp4 --detelecine --decomb --denoise="weak" --markers -X 1280 --loose-anamorphic  -e x264 -q 22 -a 1 -E faac -6 dpl2 -R 48 -B 128 -D 0.0 -x b-adapt=2:rc-lookahead=50 --verbose=1</Query>
    <Version>0.9.4</Version>
  </Preset>
  <Preset>
    <Name>720w, RF20, AAC160</Name>
    <Query> -f mp4 --detelecine --decomb --denoise="weak" --markers -X 720 --loose-anamorphic  -e x264 -q 20 -a 1 -E faac -6 dpl2 -R 48 -B 160 -D 0.0 -m -x b-adapt=2:rc-lookahead=50 --verbose=1</Query>
    <Version>svn3711</Version>
  </Preset>
  <Preset>
    <Name>720w, RF23, AAC96</Name>
    <Query> -f mp4 --detelecine --decomb --denoise="medium" --markers -X 720 --loose-anamorphic  -e x264 -q 23 -a 1 -E faac -6 dpl2 -R 48 -B 96 -D 0.0 -x b-adapt=2:rc-lookahead=50 --verbose=1</Query>
  </Preset>
  <Preset>
    <Category>Phone</Category>
    <Name>San Francisco - 800</Name>
    <Query> -f mp4 --detelecine --decomb --denoise="weak" --markers -X 800 --loose-anamorphic  -e x264 -q 24 -a 1 -E faac -6 dpl2 -R Auto -B 160 -D 0.0 -x cabac=0:ref=2:me=umh:bframes=0:weightp=0:8x8dct=0:trellis=0:subq=6 --verbose=1</Query>
  </Preset>
  <Preset>
    <Name>San Francisco - 640</Name>
    <Query> -f mp4 --detelecine --decomb --denoise="weak" --markers -X 640 --loose-anamorphic  -e x264 -q 24 -a 1 -E faac -6 dpl2 -R Auto -B 128 -D 0.0 -x cabac=0:ref=2:me=umh:bframes=0:weightp=0:8x8dct=0:trellis=0:subq=6 --verbose=1</Query>
  </Preset>
  <Preset>
    <Name>San Francisco - 400</Name>
    <Query> -f mp4 --detelecine --decomb --denoise="weak" --markers -X 400 --loose-anamorphic  -e x264 -q 23 -a 1 -E faac -6 dpl2 -R Auto -B 112 -D 0.0 -x cabac=0:ref=2:me=umh:bframes=0:weightp=0:8x8dct=0:trellis=0:subq=6 --verbose=1</Query>
  </Preset>
  <Preset>
    <Name>San Francisco - 288</Name>
    <Query> -f mp4 --detelecine --decomb --denoise="weak" --markers -X 288 --loose-anamorphic  -e x264 -q 22 -a 1 -E faac -6 dpl2 -R Auto -B 96 -D 0.0 -x cabac=0:ref=2:me=umh:bframes=0:weightp=0:8x8dct=0:trellis=0:subq=6 --verbose=1</Query>
  </Preset>
</ArrayOfPreset>

^ I haven't tried GSF but considering its popularity I dunno how there are so many issues with it. Did you by any chance restore data from previous ROMs or anything? I'm still on BG and no issues here absolutely, everything works, battery life is excellent and very stable, no reboots, crashes or FCs. So I think you should give it a go and see.

CM7 is good at the moment, but some bugs like occasional GPS reboots are still there. If you don't use GPS much, you can try CM7 it's very usable, fast and kinda stable. Also, GSF B14 is out yesterday, maybe you could try updating to it and see.

^^Yes first i will try updating with GSF B14 and still if i find issues will wipe everything and go for BG. TOI app too crashes on this :(

So basically the most needed apps like... TOI, Screenshot ones, download managers and Java runtime environment are crashing. Will try over the weekend...or no wait...may be i will do it today only. Will download both and keep their zip in SD and try one by one.

^Its better if you wipe. Avoids any problems.
@Raksrules, I'm on GSF too and no apps force close mate. I mean literally none at all. I'll check out the TOI app later tonight, but I've used a LOT of apps and none have crashed or FC's yet. Try to completely wipe the phone before reistalling the rom. Or ask Wbaw (very nicely, or he gets touchy lol) to look into it.

dafreaking said:
Hmm any other reason why one would want to shift?
Stability is the main reason why I shifted. Its just like official rom with no major bugs. Also scrolling is a little smoother but I feel apps run a little faster in cm7.

I love cm7 and I miss its features a lot. I'll be going back to cm7 once .35 kernel source is released and it is incorporated into cm7.
Sent from my Blade using Tapatalk

Flashed GSF Beta 14 over Beta 12 and now all the apps that previously used to force close are working fine now. No idea what the issue was. I did not even do a wipe for this B12 to B14 wipe.

okay blade owners help me out.is there any way to get a bigger capacity battery? will it accept any other manufacturer battery of higher capacity (some htc phone might have a similar battery).how do the power users handle the battery issue.guys share your battery management skills for the handset.:)

^^My brother uses his Dell XCD35 like mad:S! Full time online on e-buddy and whatsapp. Plus listening to music, surfing and playing games. He had to charge the phone twice a day at the rate he was using. But the problem reduced once I rooted it and installed Blue Ginger & re-calibrated the battery following this guide - Battery Re-Calibration/. Now I guess the phone is lasting the whole day with his kinda usage on a single charge.

Why don't you invest in a second battery rather then going for a higher capacity one. And some people are even using an app called JuiceDefender to keep a check on the battery usage. Other then that keep your 3G, WiFi & GPS off if you are not using them. And keep the brightness low when you are indoors :)

Guys, i did a testing today on my Blade where i played the movie Band Baaja Baaraat from starting to end at max volume and the battery drained from 100% to 64%.

However, when i had tried this on my TFT blade earlier this year , the battery went from 100% to 19%. Is it the OLED screen which uses less power or is it something else?

^ It could be to some extent. Also remember there is considerable difference in the quality of roms available earlier this year and today, this is assuming you are not using stock roms for both times.

Sent from my Blade using Tapatalk

Back