ZTE Blade aka DELL XCD 35 aka Orange San Francisco Thread

If you're signed in to Google, the bar turns green, Raksrules. And try using RemoteDesktop, it's a super app. Lets you transfer files through wifi, take screenshots and a host of other features.

raksrules said:
Which is this app ??
Which app mate? I posted the whole procedure about the homescreen, check a few pages back.
And anybody else like the new modaco website template? It's horrible.. It's too resource heavy and it's lagging.. I hope it will be ironed out!

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

gokul989 said:
hi all,
today got the dell xcd35 with froyo.
the menu style is vertical oriented. is there ne way to make it horizontal scroll??? also this is my first android mobile, and im wondering if we can install android apps offline(lyk symbian's .sis files which can be downloaded to pc and then tranferred to the mobile)

No idea about the horizontal scroll, but I'm pretty sure I saw something like that in my friend's blade. He had AW Launcher I think (or it might be Go Launcher too). Try both and see.

And yes, you can install .apk files, just enable "Unknown Sources" under Applications in Settings.

@gokul

For horizontal scroll you may need to change the launcher to Go Launcher EX. I am using it from start as i too am not comfortable with vertical scroll.

Right, I knew it was one of those two. :p But if you're okay with vertical scrolling, I'd say go for Launcher Pro, it's super fast!

And if you want .apk files, you'll need to search for them in Google, the Market doesn't let you download standalone apk's!

@Gokul there are places where one gets .apk's but some are not so reliable and may contain virus / malware. These are usually p1rated so no discussing them here. But i suggest you download APKs from getjar. That is completely legal and all freeware android apps must be listed there.
Dont bother to download their android app (get jar app i mean) as it does nothing but opens getjar mobile in your default browser.

^^ thanx..i got the sources now :(

but sad to know that android doesnt support ad-hoc

and also Connectify has installation problems with my hp dm1z. so ne alternatives that u can suggest??

^ try mhotspot. It works occasionally for me. Better is you dual boot with ubuntu and create a wireless network and android recognizes that network :)

Last week my brother got a Dell XCD35 through letsbuy.com. It is his first cell phone and first android cell that I have used. Its a Gen2 model(with Froyo and 512mb RAM). Now my brother is on my head to root it to Gingerbread :p. Me being a complete noob in all this rooting:ashamed:(been using a Nokia 5800 for past 1.5 yrs now) was worried that I may end up bricking his new cell. I have read entire 88 pages on this thread. Plus read these pages on Modaco -guide how to install a custom rom on the zte gen2 device & gingerbread-ginger-stir-fry . Is this enough information to root a cell properly or are there any other precautions that I have to take. Awaiting your replies. TIA :)

I am using GSF Beta12 but have noticed that lot of apps FCs on this.

If someone here have had installed both the GSF AND BLUE GINGER, can you tell if BG is any good and issue like FCs not there ?

Is blue ginger better and over GSF ??

Btw the new modaco look sucks :mad:

Guys, now I am trying to install Clockwork using Recovery Manager following this guide- guide-how-to-install-a-custom-rom-on-the-zte-gen2-device/. According to which I have to download :-
1. z4root 1.3.0 (z4root.1.3.0.apk)
2. ZTE-Blade Recovery Manager 0.34b
3. recovery-clockwork-3.0.2.4-blade-g2.img

I had a query, the latest ver of ZTE-Blade Recovery Manager is 0.36b & of recovery-clockwork.img is recovery-clockwork-4.0.0.8-blade-gen2.img. Is it alright if I use these files. Or should I use the exact same files mentioned in the guide? And ya its a Gen 2 Dell XCD35.

raksrules said:
I am using GSF Beta12 but have noticed that lot of apps FCs on this.

If someone here have had installed both the GSF AND BLUE GINGER, can you tell if BG is any good and issue like FCs not there ?
Is blue ginger better and over GSF ??

Btw the new modaco look sucks :mad:
I'm on BG and never have had any FCs here. Psyloid is out on vacation for 2 weeks, so there will be no updates for some time to come. Hence I'm myself thinking of shifting to GSF.

While installing, did you format /system from mounts and storage? Try a wipe and reinstall to see if it fixes the problem.

^^ I had done a TPT image flash since i was on Gen1 before so it was like done all over the PS4 that i had before. Do i need to do anything now ?

^ Ideally no as it will be a totally clean install with everything wiped. You could try updating to Beta 13 with full wipe just to see if it gets fixed.

i'll be waiting till the official GB ROM comes out from ZTE as most of the bugs which are there in the current Custom GB ROM will be solved & then they will too be solved in the custom ones!!! :p

jags1987 said:
Guys, now I am trying to install Clockwork using Recovery Manager following this guide- guide-how-to-install-a-custom-rom-on-the-zte-gen2-device/. According to which I have to download :-

1. z4root 1.3.0 (z4root.1.3.0.apk)

2. ZTE-Blade Recovery Manager 0.34b

3. recovery-clockwork-3.0.2.4-blade-g2.img

I had a query, the latest ver of ZTE-Blade Recovery Manager is 0.36b & of recovery-clockwork.img is recovery-clockwork-4.0.0.8-blade-gen2.img. Is it alright if I use these files. Or should I use the exact same files mentioned in the guide? And ya its a Gen 2 Dell XCD35.

This is what I did

1. Install z4root, run it and choose temporary root.

2. Install ROM Manager from Android Market.

3. Run it choose "Flash Clockworkmod Recovery".

4. Install ROM from SD card or Download ROM.

*Make sure you create a backup of default ROM and you phone data*

*Choose Wipe data option while installing ROM*

*Make sure the downloaded ROM is not corrupt by checking Hash Values.*

*Rooting will void phone's warranty. Do it at your own risk*

^^ Hey thanks for the reply. Mostly going to install Blue Ginger ROM tonight. And I know it void's phone's warranty, I have told the same to my brother but he doesn't care and wants to use gingerbread asap :p

How does one turn off camera shutter sounds in XCD35?

I am using GO Launcher EX, any better custom launchers out there? Can't root now as I do not have access to a desktop or a laptop.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Still no luck with the carry case. The E71 case blocks the charger port. :/

Krow said:
[/COLOR]Still no luck with the carry case. The E71 case blocks the charger port. :/
AFAIK Cases for this arent readily available in India. You will need to purchase these from eBay UK.

For guys using Sygic on their Blades. Is there a way I can avoid re-downloading maps with change of ROMs?

Back