ZTE Blade aka DELL XCD 35 aka Orange San Francisco Thread

raksrules

Elite
Aug 30, 2007
Mumbai
Ok so many people going ga-ga over this ROM, i think now i will try it. Is there any major issue with this ROM which may affect day to day functionality ?? Because that is my cause of concern. Anything not working or anything like that.

Also since i am on Gen1 what is the best way to go to Gen2 and install the ROM ? Dont want to risk bricking my phone.

Step by step guide will be great.

JT_daniel

Adept
Mar 10, 2011
Thank you! :)

And yeah, the V3 is also pretty good, but it's based on wbaw's older B4 right? Music playback is top notch in that, so that's a real advantage.. B10 also released yesterday, in which Wbaw included Psyloid's AOSP dialler, which I like better. I might change over to B10 today or tomorrow.

And any updates on when the Skate will be released? Screw the device, we need that source code desperately! lol I miss overclocking and control over the LED..

[Dang! I had replied to your last page mate. :) ]

And drop down notification? I've never used CM7, so never missed it. :p I use quick settings though, if that's of any help.

@Raksrules, no major issues at all. Music playback may take a hit if your using Poweramp and want to play it with the screen locked, but other than that, nothing. GPS fix takes 2-3 seconds, which is incredible. Very low background processes, so battery life is incredible.

I converted from Gen1 to Gen2 yesterday using Wbaw's TPT method. (for detailed reference - http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blade-roms-rom-customisation/337798/gen1-to-gen2-tpt-upgrade/)

Instructions
Copy a Gen2 rom zip file to your sd card ready to install. Check the md5sum of that against the source (you can use AFV for this).

Unzip this Gen2 TPT zip file to your sd card, it should create an image directory.

Check the nandroid.md5 file in the image directory on your sd card using AFV on your phone (long press on nandroid.md5 file, then Verify Nandroid Backup)

Power off, wait a few seconds, then power on with menu & vol+ held.

It should take a few seconds to flash the new Gen2 firmware (you should see some green text), then it will load into the ROM directly.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There you go, pretty simple. I would suggest you flash to GEN2 using the GSFb9 and then upgrade to GSFb10.

Saiyan

The L33t Admeen
Skilled
Aug 19, 2005
Texel, the Netherlands
www.techenclave.com
@raksrules, This method is what i am planning to follow soon (maybe tomorrow) Gen1 to Gen2 TPT upgrade - Android @ MoDaCo

As for the Ginger roms are concerned. They have got some good review so far. Both the GSF & Blue Ginger have been updated last night (b10 & v3 respectively).

There is one small issue with respect to browser scrolling though.

wbaw said:
The overscroll glow effect doesn't look easily fixable either, it must be the graphics driver only being 16bit or something. I copied the image out of cm7 & it's made no difference.

[ROM][Gen2][ZTE-Gingerbread] Ginger Stir Fry - Android @ MoDaCo

JT_daniel

Adept
Mar 10, 2011
Saiyan said:
@raksrules, This method is what i am planning to follow soon (maybe tomorrow)

Aha, you beat me to the instructions part. Anyway, I have posted a gist of the instructions in my previous post, you can check that out too. :)

Saiyan said:
JT, can you share that home screen you had posted in your earlier post.

Sure mate, I'll be glad to!

Here are the software I used-

1. Launcher Pro Plus(the latest version) [For changing the no of rows to 5, changing the dock image and changing dock icons, plus the messaging and Gmail widget]
2. Desktop Visualizer [Plus a whole image pack for it which I found somewhere in XDA.. I amassed around 300 MB of icons and images for this, so search around]
3. Digiclock Settings [ That digital clock you see in the middle]
4. Beautiful Widgets [ The weather icon you see next to the clock ]
5. Power amp [ music widget]

Use desktop Visualizer to create the various tiles and apply the appropriate images on the tiles (you'll understand once you download Desktop Visualizer).

This is how I would suggest you proceed-

1. Clear your homescreen completely
2. Download DV and play around with those tiles, just to get an idea.
3. Download images for DV (1x1, 1x2, 1x3, 2x3, 2x2 etc) so that you don't have to make them in Gimp or Photoshop. It's scattered across XDA and the internet, so you'll have to search.
4. Get launcher Pro Plus and change number of rows to 5 and enable "auto-fit".
5. Start putting in the tiles the way you want.
6. Get your favorite icon pack and change the doc's icons.
I tried to compress it to that, but it will require some real bit of searching from your part. But trust me, it's worth it. :) If you run into any problems, tell me,
And here's the proper pic, the one in the previous post was inverted.

[attachment=8472:14915.attach]

:)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 137

raksrules

Elite
Aug 30, 2007
Mumbai
Ok so installed the flash on my blade and it actually is working. Tried miniclip.com in default browser, before and after and it does work.

Btw what else can i check ?? Any games etc ? Or anything ?

Saiyan

The L33t Admeen
Skilled
Aug 19, 2005
Texel, the Netherlands
www.techenclave.com
Finally i moved to Gen 2 and installed the GSF b11 on Thursday. Was very easy and absolutely no issues during the procedure. I did exactly what i mentioned in my previous post. Highly recommended for those who are still in Gen 1.

GSF is very good, feels better than SS RLS5.

Any good theme based on blue color btw ?

adizz

Disciple
Mar 7, 2009
Saiyan said:
Finally i moved to Gen 2 and installed the GSF b11 on Thursday. Was very easy and absolutely no issues during the procedure. I did exactly what i mentioned in my previous post. Highly recommended for those who are still in Gen 1.

GSF is very good, feels better than SS RLS5.

Any good theme based on blue color btw ?

I found Cm7 performing better in most places other than scrolling anyway here's a link to add-ons thread for the leaked roms.

JT_daniel

Adept
Mar 10, 2011
Well I'm on 77 hours now, 9% left (GSF b9) and I haven't even calibrated my battery yet. Exactly the same usage as my SS and JJ ROMS, but never have I got over 65 hours, after calibration. Needless to say, I'm thrilled!!

[attachment=8495:14949.attach]

Will update to b12 tonight or tomorrow. Wbaw seems to have changed his mind after all our donations! :p

Attachments

• capture.jpg
    capture.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 103

raksrules

Elite
Aug 30, 2007
Mumbai
Ok guys now i will be going to flash the GSF and gen2 TPT also.
Please let me know the steps or point to exact post in this thread / on modaco / anywhere.
Right from flashing gen2 tpt and then to flashing the GSF ROM. Also Beta12 is available so i should directly go for that ??

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Also does CWM get automatically installed after the TPT gen1 to gen2 ??

Ok just saw that is a gen1 to gen2 TPT + Installation of the ROM too. seems this would be an easy thing for me right ??
Please suggest

Sorry for sounding paranoid but i have this fear of bricking the phone.

JT_daniel

Adept
Mar 10, 2011
Just use Wbaw's TPT, raksrules. Nothing to fear! It will change the phone to GEN 2, update clockwork and install the ROM.

Just follow the exact same instructions and there's nothing to fear. :)

raksrules

Elite
Aug 30, 2007
Mumbai
Okies so done with the upgrade to GSF Beta 12. Lets see now. More to explore, need to install apps too.

Saiyan said:
^Clockwork upgrade is required ?

I first converted my blade to Gen 2 using the TPT file. Then installed gsf b11 directly. Didn't use that TPT with ROM but its fine as well.
Since i used the latest B12 and the TPT from wbaw, i guess CWM upgrade is not required for me right ?

Is there anything in this ROM not working or something we need to rectify ??

The issue about apps not moving to SD card exists but there is a small bug.

Do this...

1. Click MOVE TO SD CARD and assume you get error as "Unable to move application"
2. Again click MOVE TO SD CARD, it will be moved fine.

raksrules

Elite
Aug 30, 2007
Mumbai
^^It means it is 512 MB only. Dont worry about the loss of 92 MB. It is that way only and you don't need any unlocking.

JT_daniel said:
Well I'm on 77 hours now, 9% left (GSF b9) and I haven't even calibrated my battery yet. Exactly the same usage as my SS and JJ ROMS, but never have I got over 65 hours, after calibration. Needless to say, I'm thrilled!!

View attachment 15876

Will update to b12 tonight or tomorrow. Wbaw seems to have changed his mind after all our donations! :p
Which is this app ??

adizz

Disciple
Mar 7, 2009
raksrules said:
^^It means it is 512 MB only. Dont worry about the loss of 92 MB. It is that way only and you don't need any unlocking.

Which is this app ??
Well I realize that 92MB of extra RAM wont make much difference but its for some moar e-peen :D