ZTE Blade aka DELL XCD 35 aka Orange San Francisco Thread

setonfire said:
The phone looks much better in person than on videos on the internet.

I totally agree with this. When I opened my box, I was suprised to see how good the phone looked. Congrats on the purchase, mate.

thanks, pageisgod85!

The screen is fantastic. Coming from a 2 inch screen this real estate sure looks huge.

Could anyone please suggest me a screenguard and silicon case for the Dell XCD35?

beanstalk_230 said:
Ordered one for my bro for Rs. 7650 on Letsbuy. Thanking myself for not ordering it a few weeks back.

Received the phone a few hours back. Got a call from my home about the package. Letsbuy rocks.. received the phone in 2 days flat.

Need some heads up about where should I start reading / exploring about android.. Kindly suggest some websites et al for the same.

P.S. Should I really go through the custom ROM route ?? :ashamed:

beanstalk_230 said:
Received the phone a few hours back. Got a call from my home about the package. Letsbuy rocks.. received the phone in 2 days flat.

Need some heads up about where should I start reading / exploring about android.. Kindly suggest some websites et al for the same.

Modaco, XDA and Androidforums are the places where you'll get most information needed regarding Android and the Blade/XCD35.

The Custom ROM thing is a personal choice. I rooted my phone on the 2nd day after I purchased it and installed CM7 on the 3rd. This was because after reading the advantages of custom ROMs over the stock ROM and also dabbling a fair bit with custom firmwares on my s60v5 phone, there was no way that I was sticking with the stock ROM.

If nothing else, (most) custom ROMs give you much better battery life than stock ROMs as they can be underclocked and are free from the crapware that manufacturers like to force upon us.

beanstalk_230 said:

Yes, letsbuy is awesome, just had my first experience with them. Ordered a wireless keyboard on the 20th, it was shipped on the 21st and i recieved it today, the 22nd by bluedart. never heard of something this fast.

For info on android, go to ZTE Blade / Libra - Blade.MoDaCo.com - Android @ MoDaCo. Actually this site's more about custom ROMing, but without a decent rom it's just a waste having an android. 2.2 is just so-so compared to 2.3. You should definitely give it a shot. Don't worry about warranty, just make sure you make a backup of your original rom. that way you can restore it if you have to return the phone. The user community for the blade on modaco is just massive, but there are plenty other sites out there too. first do some read up on generic android and understand what everything means.

For some reason, RockPlayer works better than MoboPlayer on the Blade. Also, I have moved RockPlayer to the SD card and it still works fine on my phone, whereas it was impossible to the same with MoboPlayer.

jijojose79 said:
Can anyone give how to root xcd35 using z4root ?

Here is what I used to root my Blade

Permanent root for 2.2 Blades! - Android @ MoDaCo
beanstalk_230 said:
Thanks for the suggestion everyone. Is this the correct thread to follow while installing a custom ROM: 22/Apr [GUIDE] How to Install a Custom ROM on the ZTE u-v880 or [GEN2] device - Android @ MoDaCo ??

Moreover I cannot really decide which custom ROM should I choose. CM7 179 nightly seems to be preferred by a majority? Or shud I go go the GSF way but don't really understand which one to choose there ??

I used a combination of that thread and this one

ZTE Blade: Flashing CyanogenMod - CyanogenMod Wiki

Oh, and I used ROM Manager to install ClockworkMod Recovery after rooting using z4root after which I used the 'Method via Recovery' process found on the Cyanogen wiki page for flashing the custom ROM.

I ordered amzer screen protector for Omnia i900 from fommy.co.in. Amzer has given fommy.co.in as a dealer. The shipped product was fake!!!, fommy sucks!!!!

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Yesterday I have installed CM7 nightly 179, I took stock ROM backup, but when I tried to restore it shows MD5 checksum failure. Anyone knows from where we get stock rom download ?

Finally installed Monfro CAE (ZTE leak 2.3.4) v2.5.1 ROM Monfro CAE (ZTE leak 2.3.4) v2.5.1 - Android @ MoDaCo.

Cannot compare with the regular biggies since its the first custom ROM I have tried but its really fast compared to the stock ROM. Feels like a new phone altogether.

Cheers guys

P.S. Really had a hard time finding the correct driver which was recognized by XP to stop the annoying popups for adding hardware. Btw just for reference this worked: How To Install The USB Drivers For The Orange San Francisco / ZTE Blade

UPDATE on ROM - Radio app is not working. :( But still I am sticking to it for the time being.

I ordered my phone from flipkart and received it on 21 September.

Today I noticed that there is some backlight bleed on the top right corner of the screen. I don't know if I this is the right term.
It is like this - When the phone starts up the screen is all black with the dell logo in the centre. When all the screen is black the top right corner of the screen is lighter in complexion compared to rest of the screen. It is greyish as if illuminated.
However, it makes no difference during normal use.

Should I contact flipkart for a replacement? Maybe contact Dell?

I read through the manual and the warranty card but could not find anything useful.

Please help

Back