Budget 41-50k Gaming plus software rig , please help out with your advice .

Thanks ,
whats the problem with the side fan , sorry not able to find anything on google . May be sleep effect :( .

Well ... the 500R - the side fan is HUGE (200mm) if it's blowing air inside then it sucks in air from out, right .... Now there is no dust filter provided for this side of the cabby. This means a good amount of dust will eventually settle somewhere in the cabby (inspite of having 2 or more 120/140mm fans that will blow out air). For our indian environment this could a hazard. To get around this, there are folks who have found some thin mesh like cloth and covered this window area. This was one issue.

The other was about the rather wobbly sides (not giving a feeling of strength and stability) especially when the cabby was loaded with stuff. So this cabby is OUT.

Of course the CM Stryker ..... yes and why not. If we remove the "Budget"....then the World & its Possibilities are all there for those who dare. So, like the real Harry Houdini, mebbe you could unshackle your chains and discover new horizons. :1ign64:

terence_fdes

Lol , yea wish so ! .
Well I thought that was the trade off between the air flow and dust filtering capability .
Boy , loved the 500R from every angle , Corsair has made such a case which wobbles under weight is a bit shocking ! .

@harry_houdini, seems the Tempest 410 and NZXT Phantom 410 have come to replace the NZXT Tempest EVO.

I like the Tempest 410 simply because of lesser plasticky-build. Also cooling is surprisingly good in both the cabinets, not something I thought possible here. Although I will recommend the Corsair Carbide 400R as overall the best package in such budgets. NZXT Tempest 410 Review | techPowerUp / NZXT Tempest 410 Elite Review - Overclockers Club / NZXT Tempest 410 Elite Mid Tower Case Review - Final Thoughts :: TweakTown USA Edition.

About the GPU and cooler you already know my thoughts.

Wish you luck and happy gaming, Sire.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whats your opinion about the wobbly sides Mr terence is telling ? .
Am surely gonna use a heavy air cooler if I cant find the h100 , with a big gpu ? So will it be wobbly under heavy loads , will the weak sides give a problem , am leaning on the 500R .

GPU - well how is the 7970 reference over the GTX 670 ? There seems to be a difference of 3-4k but it would be reference over a non reference cooler . Also the added 100 watt power consumption but its ok if the reference design cooler can overclock somewhat when needed , this would be totally future proof :p

Whats your opinion about the wobbly sides Mr terence is telling ? .
Am surely gonna use a heavy air cooler if I cant find the h100 , with a big gpu ? So will it be wobbly under heavy loads , will the weak sides give a problem , am leaning on the 500R .

GPU - well how is the 7970 reference over the GTX 670 ? There seems to be a difference of 3-4k but it would be reference over a non reference cooler . Also the added 100 watt power consumption but its ok if the reference design cooler can overclock somewhat when needed , this would be totally future proof :p

Serious matter, stick to the NZXT Tempest 410 OR Corsair Carbide 400R as far as possible.

The reference HD7970 is a card I will not suggest spending money on, better go for a third-party HD7950 3GB [HIS IceQ Turbo edition, Sapphire TOXIC edition, MSi Twin Frozr III] and over-clock it moderately for current usage [if you find something wanting] else no need to do that also.

..... So will it be wobbly under heavy loads , will the weak sides give a problem , am leaning on the 500R .

Harry, it looks like it was "luv at first sight" with the 500R :kiss: ..... and now you are finding it so, so hard to give it all up.....:1ign236: NZXT is at fault for creating a killer design BUT ......

Cut to: A Story

What happens when the very first girl you met and (you thought) fall in love-with ..... Oh, she was the apple of your eye, your mosambi, your kashmir ki kalli, your chikni-chameli (nothing and no-one else mattered to you) .... with whom you want to live and die.... BUT then she left you one day ..... and You, you, you just could'nt figure out Why!!! .......... dot, dot, dot, dot ........ many years later. You both were living your own lives & found your own happiness.

Moral - there is something called "inherent goodness in everything & everyone," however not all of us can figure this out especially at the right time & place.

cut to: present day and time ......

So lemme add to your misery - there are lots of satisfied users of the 500R around the world (search 500R user forums......... read & understand all that you can), who accepted it's inherent weaknesses and found ways to turn it to their liking. How .... just check one such case Corsair Carbide 500R Ivy Bridge Rig - The Corsair Support Forums - read and study the whole post & replies too.... see how he modified the window & used 8 fans (I cud figure out only 7) along with the H100 and the GPU reference vs non-ref cooler OC & heat issues !!!

Hereafter, the guru's & mods at TE might slaughter me for going against the tide :bye2:

However - when success stories are seen, of actual users turning around seemingly hopeless situations then we gotta rethink & make our own final choices.

Happy hunting in love

@ALPHA17

Thanks ,
Oh man , I was laughing like silly here thinking , I would spend a bit extra and get that monster , but now that you say its not a good idea , then back to 670 .
The non reference cards are 2-3 k more , which increase the gap a lot , but then that how things I guess .
@terence_fdes
Thanks ,
Thanks to you , I was introduced to the 500R and yes you are right , once I saw it , that was exactly what I wanted from a case .
If it did not have this wobbly side problem which is a bit shocking from Corsair , otherwise I would have already had the case like the processor .

I wont be modding the case , and frankly the thing you are talking about is true . Abroad there is a DIY culture , I remember a friend's friend who had shifted from US to India talking about the DIY culture there , there are shops and hobby stores and things are easily available . He was interested in electronics , I remember he was finding it difficult to find most components here , had to source it from friends , now that he has gone back I am sure he must be happy . Here sadly people have to improvise and get things done . Too much of a hassle , but still it can be done but the problem is the problem most common men have in life , TIME . Where is the time to run around to do things , its true if you want something custom or to your liking , you have to run around . I have done this before and frankly I cannot do it again in my life , it consumes crazy amounts of time . Surely if you are doing this as a hobby then its ok but just to get that functionality you have to run 100 places , I cant do that .
My initial budget for cabinet was <5000 and infact was considering the NZXT gamma . But later found out that the 400R or similar is a must because of the other expensive components .
So for me , to get that functionality I extended my budget than have a headache of getting things modded or even end up with a compromise . I still feel the 400R is small but then I have to adjust somewhere , hope the 400R wont be a HOT BED for my components and hope it would have decent cooling .
Frankly I am not sure if I can trust NZXT cases , otherwise the Phantom 410 has good functionality too , it really really impressed me , again thanks to you I saw it . But am not sure !
Oh man how I wish I would actually release those shackles of practicality and budget in life , you said it mate , really wish things were like that ! .

Last edited by a moderator:
Bro, Why not the Nzxt Phantom 410 Gunmetal Cabinet?? It looks awesome..

Plastic, I find the amount of plastic (scratch-prone, smudgy, shiny piano finish) a serious issue, it attracts dust and fingerprints and upkeep is a pain; best of all if the equipment in question has a layer of dust / grime on it, the entire thing will look like it is caked on the damn thing.

Plastic, I find the amount of plastic (scratch-prone, smudgy, shiny piano finish) a serious issue,

Agreed ... to much of plastic is a pain. They should BAN all forms of plastic as it's non-bio degradable......but...but....but

it attracts dust and fingerprints and upkeep is a pain; best of all if the equipment in question has a layer of dust / grime on it, the entire thing will look like it is caked on the damn thing.

But would'nt this be applicable to most of other cases too out there? I have not actually seen most of todays cabby's so my observation is purely academic. So unless a cabinet has used 'metal' and with 'matte' coating these concerns remain.

Or is it the nature of plastic + glossy paint (rather than matte) which is a headache ?

Do any of these cabby's use "fibre-glass" ?

Lastly - I am not aware of the "heat-dissipation" properties of metal vs plastic (left school years ago yaar) ;)

An afterthought: Just looking at most of the products around us - a Food Processor; Mixer-Grinder; LED TV frame/monitor (front side); Bikes + scooters; certain cars - we live in a plasticky world - and if we want any of these things to look spotless, we have to get down to cleaning them on a daily/weelky basis (just the same way we do our wooded furniture too)............... unless someone is ok with it. So is the case with Computer Cases too ..... weekly cleaning ehh;)

Or is it the nature of plastic + glossy paint (rather than matte) which is a headache ?

The nature of plastic (piano finish) and the glossy paint. I am naturally averse to these qualities, that is why try to avoid recommending such constructs.

Does not mean I do not have devices that do not fall under such purview (glossy finish), my monitor's bezel is what made me realise my mistake apart from that my LOGITECH G300 has a piano black top frame but overall has much better build qualities.

Bro, Why not the Nzxt Phantom 410 Gunmetal Cabinet?? It looks awesome..
Thanks ,
well the looks dont matter buddy , functionality does to me ! .

Agreed ... to much of plastic is a pain. They should BAN all forms of plastic as it's non-bio degradable......but...but....but

But would'nt this be applicable to most of other cases too out there? I have not actually seen most of todays cabby's so my observation is purely academic. So unless a cabinet has used 'metal' and with 'matte' coating these concerns remain.

Do any of these cabby's use "fibre-glass" ?

Lastly - I am not aware of the "heat-dissipation" properties of metal vs plastic (left school years ago yaar) ;)

An afterthought: Just looking at most of the products around us - a Food Processor; Mixer-Grinder; LED TV frame/monitor (front side); Bikes + scooters; certain cars - we live in a plasticky world - and if we want any of these things to look spotless, we have to get down to cleaning them on a daily/weelky basis (just the same way we do our wooded furniture too)............... unless someone is ok with it. So is the case with Computer Cases too ..... weekly cleaning ehh;)

Thanks
You got a point ! Metal is a better conductor of heat than plastic , it can ( i forgot the term , conduction or convention or radiation ) transfer heat much better .
But I guess if there are sufficient amount of fans and holes , it does not matter .

The nature of plastic (piano finish) and the glossy paint. I am naturally averse to these qualities, that is why try to avoid recommending such constructs.

Does not mean I do not have devices that do not fall under such purview (glossy finish), my monitor's bezel is what made me realise my mistake apart from that my LOGITECH G300 has a piano black top frame but overall has much better build qualities.
Thanks , but does usage of plastic mean low on strength ? .

ALPHA17 , Jakob , terence_fdes

Was having a look again at the silver arrow . The price is making me rethink on it , the H100 is double the price of SA and max 5 percent better than SA , ridiculous price / performance . The SA Would it be too heavy for the Gene V ? . But again it has its advantages of not putting weight pressure on the motherboard and other things .

Man there is a problem of PSU here , any other reliable place to buy the PSU ? .
How good will be the AX 750/850 would be over the TX 750/850 except the fact that the former is modular . Efficient is hardly 7-8 percent; difference . But I guess I dont really understand the real reason, why so much price difference , am a total noob in electronics / electricals .
Raising this question again because was thinking that if am spending so much , I should get the best PSU out there for my need . Every Pc buying guide on net has PSU at the top of its line .
All say never neglect the PSU . But I guess its for those who go for cheap chinese PSU ? .

Round and round keep coming back to Seasonic , only if this firm had good service here , they are available in adundance , may be because everyone buys Corsair , hehe .
Trying to prevent stupid thoughts , or will be stuck with a firm who will kick my butt if I need help .

Abhay if its not personal , why did you choose Noctua U12 cooler over the SA whereas the SA is much better cooler than it ? .

Thanks

How good will be the AX 750/850 would be over the TX 750/850 except the fact that the former is modular . Efficient is hardly 7-8 percent; difference . But I guess I dont really understand the real reason, why so much price difference , am a total noob in electronics / electricals .
Raising this question again because was thinking that if am spending so much , I should get the best PSU out there for my need . Every Pc buying guide on net has PSU at the top of its line .
All say never neglect the PSU . But I guess its for those who go for cheap chinese PSU ? .

Abhay if its not personal , why did you choose Noctua U12 cooler over the SA whereas the SA is much better cooler than it ? .

Thanks

I cannot tell you how much better the Corsair modular SMPS are over their non-modular cousins. Also they are more expensive due to these reasons --
  • modular SMPS have extra phase circuitry that divides the current into appropriate amounts and routs them to their connector.
  • improved efficiency stats, although I do not know how much this really affects our overall electricity bill.
  • for more on SMPS, read this excellent article --> Anatomy of Switching Power Supplies | Hardware Secrets.
I chose the Noctua NH-U12P SE2 because --
  • I was unaware of the Silver Arrow.
  • Even if I were aware it would have been a very, very, very, very tight fit in my Cooler Master STORM Scout
  • Noctua's warranty was huge ~6 years. And I experienced it when I requested them for a socket-adapter for myself, straight AIR MAIL from Austria.
  • At this point I will not really worry about a ~5° C difference in temperatures.
Hope this helps, Cheerio!

I cannot tell you how much better the Corsair modular SMPS are over their non-modular cousins. Also they are more expensive due to these reasons --
  • modular SMPS have extra phase circuitry that divides the current into appropriate amounts and routs them to their connector.
  • improved efficiency stats, although I do not know how much this really affects our overall electricity bill.
  • for more on SMPS, read this excellent article --> Anatomy of Switching Power Supplies | Hardware Secrets.
I chose the Noctua NH-U12P SE2 because --
  • I was unaware of the Silver Arrow.
  • Even if I were aware it would have been a very, very, very, very tight fit in my Cooler Master STORM Scout
  • Noctua's warranty was huge ~6 years. And I experienced it when I requested them for a socket-adapter for myself, straight AIR MAIL from Austria.
  • At this point I will not really worry about a ~5° C difference in temperatures.
Hope this helps, Cheerio!

Thanks a lot once again , so will it be a very tight fit in the 400R ? .

so will it be a very tight fit in the 400R ?

Cannot say as I personally have never built around that platform (Carbide 400R) but it is a very different case compared to mine, with accommodation for water cooling set-ups; the STORM SCOUT on the other hand is completely focused on the LAN gamer builds with a handle and all, sacrifices water cooling provisions and has a terrible top (only single fan on top for the venting of rising heat).

Cannot say as I personally have never built around that platform (Carbide 400R) but it is a very different case compared to mine, with accommodation for water cooling set-ups; the STORM SCOUT on the other hand is completely focused on the LAN gamer builds with a handle and all, sacrifices water cooling provisions and has a terrible top (only single fan on top for the venting of rising heat).

Thanks
PC Build CORSAIR 400R I5 SILVER ARROW.flv - YouTube
Any idea from this video ? . Is the silver arrow fans making that noise , I cant stand such a noise . I ll go mad .

Howdy Harry .... If it's the final decision making time then do your last round of check's

If i5-3570K is Final then check out it's performance/review/benchmark or builds with the specific brand/model no that you chose...... from

1] CPU Air-Cooler - Whichever is your final choice (personally I would leave out U12 & Silver Arrow as both were launched in 2010 and the 2011/12 models have many qualitative improvements). If on a budget - even today the U12 is the BEST. My take is Noctua newer series with top-down air flow.

2] PSU - I am still convinced with Seasonic (modular 660 or 760) and would take that chance against a remote possiblity of it failing or needing RMA.

3] Cabinet - get down to actual brass tacks [see if the SIZE - Actual Measurements (using a measuring tape) suit you perfectly & the place that you are going to keep it at home]. Folks have actually fainted when they looked at the Corsair Graphite 600T or Cosmos or even Switch 810 or Obsidian or Stryker (calling them a monstrosity apart from their phenomenal final weight 12-18 kgs) - whereas, there are those who love it.

Cheers

Was having a look again at the silver arrow . The price is making me rethink on it , the H100 is double the price of SA and max 5 percent better than SA , ridiculous price / performance . The SA Would it be too heavy for the Gene V ? . But again it has its advantages of not putting weight pressure on the motherboard and other things .

Man there is a problem of PSU here , any other reliable place to buy the PSU ? .

Thanks

how about "Hyper 212 EVO" (for their 4 Direct Contact Heat Pipes / Aluminum Fins) ? also, for PSU did u consider cooler master silent pro M700(its moudular) as suggested by Alpha17 in PC guides?

Back