Budget 41-50k Gaming plus software rig , please help out with your advice .

when you received the package, was the CPU box seal broken? if not, then there should not be any problem....

some users also suggest to preserve those boxes for future warranty issues, if any.... though i don't know whether it will of any use, lets see what our experts say about it...

so what about mobo+RAM+SMPS ?

as i mentioned earlier ripjaws X series and most other RAMS are optimized for sandy bridge based CPU, though there will not be any compatibility issue with ivy bridge.... will that make any difference in performance for our usage, i doubt....
only newer version RAMs (like Trident series of gskill) sport XMP version 1.3 and do mention to be optimized for 1st, 2nd and 3rd Gen Intel CPUs....

Rams are not a big deal for me , at the moment I dont believe rams are a big game changer ( noob ) , if I dont like my current ones I ll go with some performance rams a year later :p .
Although I ve read in reviews that rams with almost same timings , there was not a huge difference between 2133Mhz and 1600Mhz .
Yea some rams have tight timings but are expensive in India . So all in all not worth it now .
Currently I have Gskill sniper 8Gb which has a sticker on its cover saying " made for sandy bridge " .
Trident X series cost a bomb ! .

harry, dont worry. put up some pics and we can check the stuff out :)
im sure its nothing :)
ps-ordered the m5g yet :p

M5G it is , man you have corrupted ( joke ) me ;) , hope I dont get bankrupt .

Are you sure the chip is fine ? .

Can't see much in the pic,Looks ok though.

I have put up a highlighted pic .
There is a very small dent , a small scratch and a squaring kinda scar which makes me think if it was used by someone with an after market heat sink .

I am from New Panvel , Navi Mumbai , Maharashtra .

harry my man...thats a perfect chip :)
dont you worry about it. now just put in in a board and let her rip :)

Are you sure ? .

yes if possible pics from at least 2 angles so that the "scarface" would be seen ;) .... WOW and congrats harry on the 3570K (how much did u pay for it from flipkart ?)

You could also list the remaining components that you have zeroed upon - ( double-check with folks out here at TE ) ..... and get-set onto a wonderful journey

Cheers

Put the pics Sir , please give your opinion .

Absolutely I wont buy anything without consulting people here , never ! .
Processor cost me 15.5 k . Mumbai had problems of stock and high pricing , either there was no stock or too high pricing . Even itdepot , smc , systembuilder had no stock . I dont know where flipkart got it from ?? Hope people pass the processor , or there is a big fight ahead with flipkart .

I know some of you might me thinking we have never encountered someone like this , but please bear , the agony wont last long :bleh: .

Can't see much in the pic,Looks ok though.

Same here - PASSED TE'S VISUAL INSPECTION CHECK AT LEVEL ONE - Good to Go :sign25: TESTING PASSED

(FYI - At level two TE Standard Checking Protocol :Jumpy: ) - Click a pic with a Macro Lens so that we can see if any critter has put it's pug marks :concern: (frankly speaking the light is not good enuf to see details; so can you try cropping just the processor area; lift the gain/contrast & if sharp details are visible the re-post)

Cheers

Same here - PASSED TE'S VISUAL INSPECTION CHECK AT LEVEL ONE - Good to Go :sign25: TESTING PASSED

(FYI - At level two TE Standard Checking Protocol :Jumpy: ) - Click a pic with a Macro Lens so that we can see if any critter has put it's pug marks :concern: (frankly speaking the light is not good enuf to see details; so can you try cropping just the processor area; lift the gain/contrast & if sharp details are visible the re-post)

Cheers

Sir dont see the pic on web browers , download it and see it , then zoom it , clearly visible .

im sure the cpu is fine :)
im happy i managed to sway your mind :p

yeah , will come up with a final config , yet to decide on the cab + cooler + psu ,
Will leave that to you all .

harry_houdini

are you looking it under microscope LOL, just kidding, but it does not look to be worried of...
well what our expert say about it???
and about ram, i said just version of XMP and 3rd Gen mentioning
though 1600Mhz and CL9/ CL10 is more than enough for us

ampdr1 , cyberwarfare , ALPHA17 , terence_fdes , Jakob , BIKeINSTEIN , chiragsthakur

You guys say there is no problem then its fine :yahoo: .

Decided on the following components :
1. 3570k - bought .
2. Asus Maximus V Gene
3. Corsair XMS 2 x 2Gb
4. 128 Gb SSD , 520 or the V4 or M4 . You guys suggest from the 3 . I have read nice things about the Crucial sayings its the most reliable of the SSD's , but how is the performance compared to the other two ? .

Now left
1. PSU
2. Cabinet
3. Cooler
4. Paste
5. Fans .
6. Gaming mouse , I have a wireless mouse at the moment which I find very easy and convenient to use , but is there anything special about gaming mouses ? . Strong buttons ? .
Will my wireless mouse be able to last or die ( which I dont want ) ? .
Mouse is - Iball Wireless Freedom , awesome according to me .

7. Gaming keyboard , these are very expensive I heard , so will choose them later on .
8. Good 2.0 speakers ( good for gaming ? ) , am allergic to headphones and headsets , so that is simply no option to consider ! .

So 4-8 , later on , If mouse cant hold , then mouse also but a separate budget .
for 1-3 , please suggest in 2 options ,
1. 15k budget
Priority PSU > Cabinet > Cooler

2. 20k budget .
Priority ( guess this doesnt really need it because should be easier for you all , not me )
PSU> Cabinet=Cooler
Try and fit the H100 if possible , if not , Then the d14 , arrow are always there but again priority to the H100 .

Also tell me from where to buy the following games :
1. Empire total war .
2. Napoleon Total war .
3. Shogun 2 : Total war
4. Shogun 2 : fots
Can't help it , am a total war fan :head2: .

5. BF3 :head2: , I heard there is a 5-6 Gb update after you install the game . That is not a problem for me but my internet connection is such that the ISP cuts off the connection for 2-3 minutes after you cross 2 gb . One guy told me there is no resume option in Origin , so this 5 gb update will create problems for me ? . Any other way out except Origin / Steam , or any way to add resume option ? .

Now you guys must be thinking games without a GPU ? . Its coming , a big one , but let me get this rig started up properly with all drivers and stuff , then the GPU war will start but I dont think it will last much , lol . I already downloaded some drivers for M5G !! .

Thanks a lot for helping out so long , just need some more help , ALPHA17 , hope you are not exhausted cause of me buddy .

Edit : Sorry wont be able to reply sometimes , have people visiting .

You guys say there is no problem then its fine :yahoo: .

Decided on the following components :
1. 3570k - bought .
2. Asus Maximus V Gene
3. Corsair XMS 2 x 2Gb [increase this if possible to a 4GB x2 kit OR is this your old SNIPER RAM modules?]
4. 128 Gb SSD , 520 or the V4 or M4 . You guys suggest from the 3 . I have read nice things about the Crucial sayings its the most reliable of the SSD's , but how is the performance compared to the other two ? [the Crucial M4 is a proven performer and the Marvel controller at the heart of it, is reliable], here is a benchmark run vis-á-vis the Intel 510 series drive [250GB capacity] -- AnandTech - Bench - SSD

Now left
1. PSU
2. Cabinet
3. Cooler
4. Paste
5. Fans .
6. Gaming mouse , I have a wireless mouse at the moment which I find very easy and convenient to use , but is there anything special about gaming mouses ? . Strong buttons ? No the primary advantages are that the mouse + keyboard oriented towards a gaming enthusiast features certain features that they might OR might-not use, extra buttons, macro capability [with separate key bank for same], faster interface times, back-lighting, lower latency whilst transferring the input. Durable construct (OR so claimed).
Will my wireless mouse be able to last or die ( which I dont want ) ? It will last but the latency it will have to transmit an input in a game can be startling and can be a prime cause of lag.

7. Gaming keyboard , these are very expensive I heard , so will choose them later on . You can go for these -- TVS Gold Mechanical keyboard ~1500/- [USB OR PS/2 connector option is in your hand] OR MICROSOFT Sidewinder X4 ~2000/-.

So 4-7 , later on , If mouse cant hold , then mouse also but a separate budget .
for 1-3 , please suggest in 2 options ,
1. 15k budget
Priority PSU > Cabinet > Cooler; You can go for this combination -- Corsair Carbide 400R, Corsair TX v2650W / 750W and for cooler the Corsair H100 OR equivalent.

Also tell me from where to buy the following games :
1. Empire total war . [STEAM]
2. Napoleon Total war . [STEAM]
3. Shogun 2 : Total war [STEAM]
4. Shogun 2 : fots [STEAM]
You can also try to hunt this game in your local legit software retailers place. Because places like flipkart.com and intencity.in show that these are out of stock. If you do get these games be sure to drop in my STEAM account, I am ALPHA17I and we have an Indian Clan running called Legion Garuda, join it if you wish (we need new recruits).

Have never played BattleField 3 so no comments on where to acquire it from.

Answers in bold.

Hope this helps, Cheerio!

@ALPHA17

Thanks bro ,
1. Yes have the 8gb sniper ram modules at 1600MHz , known to give approx 7.2 in WEI , so hope not a big deal .
Will these bottleneck any other hardware I am going with ? .

2. Thanks for the SSD comparison , I thought that site only has processor comparison .
Anyways , sorry but its difficult to find any conclusion from those charts , some points , Intel is ahead , some point Crucial , and I dont really fully understand what they mean .
Which properties are useful in daily use ? .

3. TVS gold is ofcourse the tank , but no backlit , and Sidewinder X4 , no mechanical keys , So guess will later on go with a mechanical + backlit keyboard , surely will cost a bomb I feel .
Or is there is a cheaper option ?

4. Bro please point the combinations in both the 15k and 20k budget please .
The 400R has some problems with the H100 ? . One video review said there is a bit of a problem with the space , it gets too close to the motherboard , depending on the mobo , even touches some ! .

5. Ofcourse will buy those games a cent percent , I love these games , will also join you there on Steam , but am not a pro , just an amateur and played only till empire total war from a friend on very low settings , so wont be so good without practice . Till now only played Rome total war but again with the AI because cant register with friend's DVD . @chiragsthakur , help out with the bf3 query please .

I will try and get a DVD and then update it through Steam , again because of the 2gb limitation which will break the flow .
Does Steam have a resume option ? .

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
harry_houdini

as far as RAM, i find 2x2gb to be very less capacity, since u will be having 4 slots on the mobo, each one has 8gb max capacity...

personally i would go for 2x8GB 1600Mhz CL9 type, wait for SSD prices to go down further and then buy it...

if not, then as ALPHA17 mentioned go for 2x 4GB 1600Mhz, CL9 at least... though u will be giving up 8GB capacity in case u upgrade to further more like 2x8GB in future... total will will be 8+16 whereas if u install 2x8GB now, u can later add 2x8GB and use the slots to full capacity 16+16=32....

since this is a dual channel kit, i don't think there should be any problem if one pair has better timing than other... still
ALPHA17, what if one pair has better timing and speed than other pair? will it run at the speed of of slower pair???

PSU-> Corsair TX V2 750W (don't have to buy new just for another 100W shortage of power in future)
cabinet-> carbide 400R/NZXT tempest EVO (i think both can house H100)
Cooler -> well i was interested in H80->H100 later as it is easy to setup but got worried about noise and pump failure...
but in case of air cooler, they seem to be very heavy so maybe H100 seems better one...

Gaming combo-> no idea......

i agree with abhay's thoughts completely :)
Thanks
Thought on what ? .

Here is the video review , this guy says the H100 has problems fitting in the 400R :( , is he doing something wrong here ?
Corsair Carbide 400R Review - YouTube

Edit : @ampdr1
Thanks , yea all have their pros and cons , so have to decide on one .
Bro unless you use heavy softwares like video editing or photoshop etc , you dont use that much Ram . I havent gamed much yet so dont know how much rams do games utilize but many places I have seen the Max everyone goes for is 8Gb .
32 Gb is an overkill I guess but again not totally sure about it .

Last edited by a moderator:
Bro unless you use heavy softwares like video editing or photoshop etc , you dont use that much Ram . I havent gamed much yet so dont know how much rams do games utilize but many places I have seen the Max everyone goes for is 8Gb .
32 Gb is an overkill I guess but again not totally sure about it .

i do agree tht 32 gb will seem to be overkill now... but who knows about future? but just 4GB is def. very low for today's need specially Windows 7 64-bit (if u use ultimate then even more) and you will be playing games on it....

more RAM will always be required.... and it is even better than SSD and/or HDD ... as it is directly accessed by CPU
the more u have it the better.... i would have opted for single stick of 8gb now and would have upgraded later... but won't be able to utilize dual channel till i get pair... so i suggested 2x8GB....

Thanks Thought on what ? .Here is the video review , this guy says the H100 has problems fitting in the 400R :( , is he doing something wrong here ? Corsair Carbide 400R Review - YouTubeEdit : ampdr1 Thanks , yea all have their pros and cons , so have to decide on one . Bro unless you use heavy softwares like video editing or photoshop etc , you dont use that much Ram . I havent gamed much yet so dont know how much rams do games utilize but many places I have seen the Max everyone goes for is 8Gb . 32 Gb is an overkill I guess but again not totally sure about it .
i agree in the sense that 2x4gb over 2x2gb. 16gb and 32gb are overkill for your needs. even down the line, it will still be overkill, unless you start using software such as maya and PS. also h100 and 400r.i also saw the video. watch it at the 9.33 min mark. if you look closely he has the h100 in the case with ram :)
more RAM will always be required.... and it is even better than SSD and/or HDD ... as it is directly accessed by CPUthe more u have it the better.... i would have opted for single stick of 8gb now and would have upgraded later... but won't be able to utilize dual channel till i get pair... so i suggested 2x8GB....
i disagree sir, and mu=ost people would. an ssd is much better return on investment compared to ram. in todays terms, once you cross 4gb, virtually no diff can be seen unless using very specific apps like the ones i have used above. a hdd is simply too much of a bottleneck when compared to a cpu, ram and even gpu to come extent. i would suggest doing some reading on the topic :)

i do agree tht 32 gb will seem to be overkill now... but who knows about future? but just 4GB is def. very low for today's need specially Windows 7 64-bit (if u use ultimate then even more) and you will be playing games on it....

more RAM will always be required.... and it is even better than SSD and/or HDD ... as it is directly accessed by CPU
the more u have it the better.... i would have opted for single stick of 8gb now and would have upgraded later... but won't be able to utilize dual channel till i get pair... so i suggested 2x8GB....

No no , 4gb is too small yes , but that is for my HTPC . I already have a 2 x 4gb Gskill Sniper Ram at 1600Mhz .
Dual channel ram is better than single channel , a single 8Gb stick wont make sense really .
2 x 8GB , approx 6-7k , I cant dole out that much for rams .

Currently I have 2 x 4 gb , I can always use 8gb sticks later on if I really need them .
I went with Sniper rams in my current configuration because I got them in an offer . But have hardly crossed 3Gb !! .

Back