Oculus Rift DIY aka Google Cardboard

This Google cardboard thing is absolute bull. The main job of the hmd is to provide accurate head tracking. Without that these devices are useless.

This is nothing more than just a lame attack on the occulus rift hmd, built by a moron in google. No offense meant to the thread creator.

I have experienced the Oculus Rift (DK2) and of course the Google cardboard as well. IMO, leaving the heard tracking and other stuff like the mess of cables aside, the resolution of Oculus Rift was what broke the whole experience. Pixelation was very glaringly visible. I guess they are switching to higher resolution displays in the next iteration. The head tracking requires that you are in sight of the sensor. The whole experience was for me underwhelming factoring the cost you have to pay for the Dev Kit in its present state.

Google cardboard IMO was for a me a better VR experience considering how mess free it was and not to mention the overall cost factor.

I don't think cardboard was a lame dig at Occulus Rift. If anything it is a serious realty check for the Occulus rift project considering what it achieves with a regular smartphone and a DIY contraption.
Occulus rift has to up its stakes before it can be put into the market as a retail product at anywhere near the cost the dev kits are selling for.

I have experienced the Oculus Rift (DK2) and of course the Google cardboard as well. IMO, leaving the heard tracking and other stuff like the mess of cables aside, the resolution of Oculus Rift was what broke the whole experience. Pixelation was very glaringly visible. I guess they are switching to higher resolution displays in the next iteration. The head tracking requires that you are in sight of the sensor. The whole experience was for me underwhelming factoring the cost you have to pay for the Dev Kit in its present state.

Google cardboard IMO was for a me a better VR experience considering how mess free it was and not to mention the overall cost factor.

I don't think cardboard was a lame dig at Occulus Rift. If anything it is a serious realty check for the Occulus rift project considering what it achieves with a regular smartphone and a DIY contraption.
Occulus rift has to up its stakes before it can be put into the market as a retail product at anywhere near the cost the dev kits are selling for.

Did you try the DK2 or DK1? DK1 has low resolution and is a really old device. DK2 has the same resolution(1920x1080, 960x1080 per eye) as your smartphone so I don't know why you talk of pixelation. If you see pixelation in DK2, you'll notice it cardboard as well. Still DK2 is again a year old now. The gold standard for head tracking and quality right now is the Gear VR - put it beside the cardboard and it won't take even 5 seconds to figure out what is significantly better. If you were in bangalore, would have been glad to give you a demo. Biggest issue in VR right now is latency and associated lag. Cardboard has 50ms+ (assuming phone has an oled panel, else add lcd latency to the 50ms figure) motion to photon latency thanks to default triple buffering in android. Gear VR reduces it to below 20ms thanks to single buffering + asynchronous time warp. Also as I mentioned above the inbuilt sensor in the phone is real cheap and not meant for head tracking. A custom sensor makes the experience a million times better.

Last edited:
Did you try the DK2 or DK1? DK1 has low resolution and is a really old device. DK2 has the same resolution(1920x1080, 960x1080 per eye) as your smartphone so I don't know why you talk of pixelation. If you see pixelation in DK2, you'll notice it cardboard as well. Still DK2 is again a year old now. The gold standard for head tracking and quality right now is the Gear VR - put it beside the cardboard and it won't take even 5 seconds to figure out what is significantly better. If you were in bangalore, would have been glad to give you a demo. Biggest issue in VR right now is latency and associated lag. Cardboard has 50ms+ (assuming phone has an oled panel, else add lcd latency to the 50ms figure) motion to photon latency thanks to default triple buffering in android. Gear VR reduces it to below 20ms thanks to single buffering + asynchronous time warp. Also as I mentioned above the inbuilt sensor in the phone is real cheap and not meant for head tracking. A custom sensor makes the experience a million times better.

It is Occulus Rift DK2 and yes the pixelation is not that much different on the google cardboard either when using a Full HD phone. I never said that the cardboard gives a vastly superior experience, but still for some reason, I felt that the extent to which we experienced the pixelation on the OR DK2 is much more than with the cardboard. Maybe it has something to do with the level of magnification that make the pixel boundaries stand out or size of the pixels themselves or some other reason that I do not know.

In any case the point is that I would expect considerably more out of a $350 dedicated VR Dev Kit with all the associated setting up mess that came with it compared to a makeshift $20 cardboard contraption with a smartphone for display.

For anyone who's interested in Boxight..
Cheers from Team Boxight!!!

So you missed our last sale to get the Boxight Ekbox? Not to worry, we have re-opened our sale and you can buy it without an invitation this time.

Not only that. You can get your Ekbox absolutely Free...

How?

Visit http://get.boxight.com/auth/login

You make a purchase for 288 Rs >>>> Send 3 invites to your friends >>> 3 of your friends buy the Ekbox (within 24 hours from your time of Purchase).

And we refund your 288 Rs back to you and ship your kit for free...

Why would we do such a thing?

Lets say rather than hiring "Shah Rukh" for a million dollar for our ad campaign we have realized there is no better ambassador than our customers. Simply we want to reward our customers for being our ambassador.

How and when would i get my refund?

This offer exists only till 26th February and we would refund the payment to the same Card/Account from which you purchased the Ekbox with as a refund and would show up in your statement in 3-5 days.

More questions?

Call us at 080-67415604

On your side,
Ppl @ Boxight.
Web: boxight.com
Email: support@boxight.com
Phone: 080-67415604

Did anyone receive their's yet? They sent a DTDC tracking number 4 days ago but they didn't really ship out the product yet -_-' I would rather have them tell me it is going to take more time to ship than give me non working tracking numbers.

Did anyone receive their's yet? They sent a DTDC tracking number 4 days ago but they didn't really ship out the product yet -_-' I would rather have them tell me it is going to take more time to ship than give me non working tracking numbers.
Same here.. :|

the tracking number provided hasnt been working since 4 days.

one of my friend received his package today. The lenses are made of plastic.There's only cardboard and lens in package and no nfc tag and magnets.
Anyone else received there package?

Attachments

• 20150306232619.jpg
    20150306232619.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 235
Last edited:
Back