Reliance Jio Rollout

But if anyone can get a sim for free whats the point of calling it a trial?? And isnt it foul on other operators that their networks are getting worked up due to free calls originating from the JIO network?
JIO to JIO shd be fine as its VoLTE.
Do the new free SIM cards(being given without offer codes) also have the Preview data offer of 90days??

Its a trial coz its not launched yet, Also not every one is getting the sim but most if the 4Handsets owner are getting.

As for other network load why are you so worried about it its just another a new carrier in the market.

Yes preview is for the period of 90 days so its unlimited Calls, Data, SMS.

But if anyone can get a sim for free whats the point of calling it a trial?? And isnt it foul on other operators that their networks are getting worked up due to free calls originating from the JIO network?
JIO to JIO shd be fine as its VoLTE.
Do the new free SIM cards(being given without offer codes) also have the Preview data offer of 90days??
This ^. Essentially most operators give free sims but it is followed by prepaid recharges. But the 3 months free calling is going to hurt both Jio and other operators. Jio because while they might be able to drive data, there will be a louder clamor about Jio to other operators not working properly. And other operators because of obvious reasons. Unless of course Jio could have provided free data + free Jio to Jio calling.

Lets us say Mr. X is using Airtel as his primary SIM and making calls to Idea which is 5 calls per hour
Mr. X now has Jio SIM and he makes calls to idea at the rate of 5 calls per hour
In both cases, number of outside connections seen by idea is 5 (since Mr. X cannot use airtel and Jio simultaneously to make calls to idea)

Lets us say Mr. X is using Airtel as his primary SIM and making calls to Idea which is 5 calls per hour
Mr. X now has Jio SIM and he makes calls to idea at the rate of 5 calls per hour
In both cases, number of outside connections seen by idea is 5 (since Mr. X cannot use airtel and Jio simultaneously to make calls to idea)
If only it was so simple.
That Mr X who was earlier not on JIO was only giving miss calls. Now he is calling everyone round the clock (Since JIO calling is free).
Since he is calling non JIO no also the other operators have to connect the calls originating from JIO numbers to their networks. Supposedly the interconnecting charges are only applicable after full commercial launch. In trial phase these charges are not considered. So other networks are losing on interconnect charges as well as their networks are getting more and more traffic from JIO making is less available to their own subscribers who in the first place are paying market value for all services.
And that is why @karankapoor I am worried. Mr X who is getting a JIO sim for free wont mind few call drops or low data speed or call congestion. But My Y who is paying full value for all services on other network will definitely be unhappy with his primary operator and think that his operators service has deteriorated. Maybe this is the game that Mukesh Ambani is playing. And like I have been saying earlier also. I dont expect Ambani's to give anything for free. BTW as per some article I read last week JIO has already more than 15Lakh trial members. Add to that the connections sold in last one month and you can make out for yourself why this should no longer be called a trial.

If only it was so simple.
That Mr X who was earlier not on JIO was only giving miss calls. Now he is calling everyone round the clock (Since JIO calling is free).
Since he is calling non JIO no also the other operators have to connect the calls originating from JIO numbers to their networks. Supposedly the interconnecting charges are only applicable after full commercial launch. In trial phase these charges are not considered. So other networks are losing on interconnect charges as well as their networks are getting more and more traffic from JIO making is less available to their own subscribers who in the first place are paying market value for all services.
And that is why @karankapoor I am worried. Mr X who is getting a JIO sim for free wont mind few call drops or low data speed or call congestion. But My Y who is paying full value for all services on other network will definitely be unhappy with his primary operator and think that his operators service has deteriorated. Maybe this is the game that Mukesh Ambani is playing. And like I have been saying earlier also. I dont expect Ambani's to give anything for free. BTW as per some article I read last week JIO has already more than 15Lakh trial members. Add to that the connections sold in last one month and you can make out for yourself why this should no longer be called a trial.

Close, but not correct
Even if Mr X was indeed giving missed calls from airtel to idea, a ring going from airtel to idea should be considered as a interconnect which will utilize atleast 1 connection of what maximum is possible between airtel and idea. Also by this logic, Mr. X who was using airtel for his "missed" call needs and close to "crawling" 2G now frees up some bandwidth for his fellow airtel bretherin, because now, he is using Jio. So while idea is not facing additional interconnects, airtel is now getting freed up.

According to forbes article which is dated at jan 6, 2016, India had crossed 1 billion mobile connections. if we consider that Jio has given out 3 million connections (double of what you have considered), it is still only 0.3% of total number of connection in India, which according to me is not a big sample for trial

http://www.forbes.com/sites/saritha...-the-excitements-just-beginning/#459414985ac2

---

corrected the % total connection as suggested by @vyral_143

Last edited:
Really don't know how it's gonna affect any provider still if does doesn't matter to me at least, I'm enjoying my Jio preview for the past 4 months now and quite happy with that.

Really don't know how it's gonna affect any provider still if does doesn't matter to me at least, I'm enjoying my Jio preview for the past 4 months now and quite happy with that.
Coz its free right now. Even I wouldn't mind. Yesterday it was raining and I was struggling to get even 1mbps near Phoenix mall. I did not mind it only coz it was a "free" service. Had I be paying for it my reaction would be different. Thats the key. Never mind. No point in debating this here. Lets wait for few more weeks and things will become more clearer.
@vaibhavyagnik :banghead: great logic. :oldman:

Coz its free right now. Even I wouldn't mind. Yesterday it was raining and I was struggling to get even 1mbps near Phoenix mall. I did not mind it only coz it was a "free" service. Had I be paying for it my reaction would be different. Thats the key. Never mind. No point in debating this here. Lets wait for few more weeks and things will become more clearer.
@vaibhavyagnik :banghead: great logic. :oldman:
Looks like u paid for the simcard[emoji6], Dint you ?

Received this sms just now -

Any idea how long it may take for my SIM to get activated?
Should I insert my Jio sim in phone now? Or only after getting a connection activated sms?
I got the same msg and almost around the same time of your posting, still waiting for activation Sms.

I got my "Ready for televerification" sms at around 4.30pm. I verified data services by calling the 1800xx no from a Aircel SIM.

Used up my 2GB data. Now I am unable to activate the unlimited preview offer.

I installed MyJio and all related apps. Tried to register my Jio number from PC. Could register but could not activate my account as did not receive any activation email.
Switched off data. Launched MyJio from the MyJio app list. At the top it stated "No Internet Connection". Turned on data and then clicked on skip (It is supposed to login automatically if Jio SIM is present in phone. This is the trick mentioned everywhere if one does not receive activation email). But instead of getting logged in, I am getting the below error message.
d68fac37424ecd58a7eda85364e209b1.jpg

If I try to sign in using phone no and password, it says "Account not activated"

Can someone help?

I have tried both MyJio 3.2.05 and the latest 3.2.08 version app.

@nimod, @karankapoor, @onlyravi, @Pratik.Sampat

Last edited:
I got my "Ready for televerification" sms at around 4.30pm. I verified data services by calling the 1800xx no from a Aircel SIM.

I installed MyJio and all related apps. Tried to register my Jio number from PC. Could register but could not activate my account as did not receive any activation email.
Switched off data. Launched MyJio from the MyJio app list. At the top it stated "No Internet Connection". Turned on data and then clicked on skip (It is supposed to login automatically if Jio SIM is present in phone. This is the trick mentioned everywhere if one does not receive activation email). But instead of getting logged in, I am getting the below error message.

If I try to sign in using phone no and password, it says "Account not activated"

Can someone help?

@Vagabond may help you as he is the one who knows how to activate it on a non promo phone. As far as it goes with me I have no idea how to activate the offer on a non promo phone

Edit- you can do one thing put your simcard in any Samsung lg device call Jio customer care from that # and ask them that you had exhausted the 2gb initial data and forgot to activate the free unlimited preview offer they might activate it from their end. Give it a try.

Last edited:

Can someone help?

This is activation issue. You must have received an email on your registered email address to activate account. Do that first. Only after that you will be able to login to Myjio and will be able to activate that offer.

If you have not received activation code. Wait for it.

@hotshot05
Offer sims get stuck to 2GB limit if you do not use the same handset which was used to generate the code. Jio is tracking IMEIs for all purposes.
Use your sim in same handset that was used to generate the code.
Install Jio apps (using sim/other wifi). Reboot the phone. Now open myJio and it will show something like 'avail offer'. Touch it and then your 3 months pack is activated.
Even if it's not activated, call the customer care on 198 using same handset, and ask them to activate it from back end.
You have to show them, you are using the same handset.

PS: many loopholes have been patched now.

Yeah man, Luckily people from my city are not data hungry or high speeds. I'd rather wait for commercial launch and port it rather than buying a new number waste my time activating it :|

So much headache for a Sim >_>
It's hardly a 2 min job to activate the number if u have the right phone. So nothing rocket science in that.

@swatkats Also how are u so sure about ur whole city ?

@hotshot05
Offer sims get stuck to 2GB limit if you do not use the same handset which was used to generate the code. Jio is tracking IMEIs for all purposes.
Use your sim in same handset that was used to generate the code.
Install Jio apps (using sim/other wifi). Reboot the phone. Now open myJio and it will show something like 'avail offer'. Touch it and then your 3 months pack is activated.
Even if it's not activated, call the customer care on 198 using same handset, and ask them to activate it from back end.
You have to show them, you are using the same handset.

PS: many loopholes have been patched now.
I would disagree. Its been many days now that my initial 2gb got exhausted and i am on the unlimited preview offer. All the while i am using it on an iPhone 6S. The only time i used it on Samsung which was an s6 and only on the first day to activate the preview offer.

I think the preview offer continues to work as long you use the sim on a VoLTE device after activating it for the first time. Once if you switch to a non volte 4G device it gets deactivated.

I would disagree. Its been many days now that my initial 2gb got exhausted and i am on the unlimited preview offer. All the while i am using it on an iPhone 6S. The only time i used it on Samsung which was an s6 and only on the first day to activate the preview offer.

I think the preview offer continues to work as long you use the sim on a VoLTE device after activating it for the first time. Once if you switch to a non volte 4G device it gets deactivated.
It was happening many days before. It's not happening for last one or two days.

You activated it on the Samsung device once activated it will work with any 4g device whether the phone supports Volte or not just it has to be a 4G enabled phone.

Back