Budget 41-50k 10850k vs 5600x / 5900x

If 5900x is available in the next week or so i <50K will buy it. Else, will go with 3900x + GT 710 graphics card.
GPU prices are beyond insanity levels right now. I need a productivity machine, not a gaming one. For any ML activities I'll either ask for GCP credits or rent a cloud machine on Hetzner till GPU prices reach sane levels.

The only reason I am considering Intel is because of iGPU and the 10850k is at a reasonable price. But, Z490 motherboards are much more expensive when compared with B550.

If 5900x is available in the next week or so i <50K will buy it. Else, will go with 3900x + GT 710 graphics card.
GPU prices are beyond insanity levels right now. I need a productivity machine, not a gaming one. For any ML activities I'll either ask for GCP credits or rent a cloud machine on Hetzner till GPU prices reach sane levels.

The only reason I am considering Intel is because of iGPU and the 10850k is at a reasonable price. But, Z490 motherboards are much more expensive when compared with B550.
so you require cores or IPC

try to look for first gen ryzen ,call prime abgb etc , they had this sale where ryzen 1700 were sold for 10k
That would be too old. The oldest one I could get is Ryzen 3000 series.
I need both IPC and cores I suppose, just that it doesn't have to be the latest gen.

Building a desktop for work - primarily running IDEs, docker containers, multiple Linux VMs. Involves processing large data sets (in TBs) both relational and distributed NoSQL.
May need a Mac in future as well, so, if a VM based hackinthosh can run on this machine that would be a nice to have.
Other use - occasional gaming, RTS (AOE3, CnC) is my preferred type.
Want to try CyberPunk 2077 after hearing all the hype, but its been a more than 6-7 years since I have played anything, don't know if I'll get the time.
If you plan to run barebones hackintosh then ryzen sadly won't be an option. Since it looks like ryzen doesn't support virtualization on macOS so docker vm and simulators won't run. If under a VM then maybe ryzen would be a better choice. I went with an old 8700K just cause of this dilemma. BTW my ryzen comment is based on users comments on reddit and tonymacx86 . Things might have changed during the 2 or 3 months I was tracking this.

On another note, if mostly VM and workstation use, wouldn't you benefit from the more core count vs the IPC ?

Back