10mbps for Rs 1110 From Beam fiber

It Seems they're Concentrating on Customer service than on Cheap tariff plans, Their New Move of just Upgrading Speeds Suggest me the Same!

It's a Good thing, But still they need to upgrade and Give out the maximum possibilities from their infrastructure. :)

True. Their CC has definitely improved in terms of your call going through:p.

True. Their CC has definitely improved in terms of your call going through:p.
Hehe. I'm not sure if my Guess is Right but Half of the people still say their Technical Support is still Lazy.! I haven't had a chance to meet their Technical Guy from 4months :p So no issues!

Interesting. It's a mixture of information and... misinformation.

Excuse me while I try and be objective:

Speed: Clearly they've not used their own network lately... in addition, conveniently forgetting to mention the FUPs (you get 24/7/365)... reports I've seen from consumers indicate that you can get 1-2mbit/s on a 4mbit/s Airtel connection frequently enough.

The true part is that the bandwidth *is* dedicated... right up to the DSLAM, that is. Just the same as the bandwidth right up to the cable-operators switch is. In other words, the cable from your DSL modem to their DSLAM serving your neighbourhood offers you a dedicated line of "up to 24mbits" on ADSL (let's ignore the distance/speed degradations for now), just the same as the ethernet cable from your computer to the switch in your building offers a dedicated line of up to 100mbit/s on your average metro ethernet network.

Also, let's ignore the type of cable internet that uses RG-6 (CoAx) cable because that would complicate matters. Anyway, same exact issues.

Security & Technology: In some ways, ADSL *is* more secure. Assuming they set it up as a gateway and don't make you have the dialer on your PC. It certainly does *not* protect your PC from malware, though, otherwise the A/V industry would be dead (something like 80% of the world uses DSL technology for net access). It does protect from the old local-network attack vectors from having no protection between the 8 or 16 PCs connected to your average unmanaged switch though. It *is* possible for a managed switches to prevent computers talking to each other directly, however, most cable operators don't install managed switches.

Again, dedicated is dedicated only up to their DSLAM. In other words, all Airtel is saying is "you have a cable". Whoopdidoo.

Core Offering: This is a matter of Airtel's licenses. Airtel has licenses for NLD, ILD, IPTV and Internet. Most cable-based ISPs do not. For example, the routers *I* provide are preconfigured to deliver IPTV on the 4th ethernet port, but I'm not delivering IPTV services yet. I *could* also supply routers with FXS ports to connect an analogue phone to, but, again, license. Alternatively, it wouldn't be difficult to plug in an IP-phone to one of the ethernet ports... but again, license.

Always On: Exactly the same issues. DSLAMs are big and expensive and usually come with battery backup as part of the package. If cable operators weren't so cheap and secured their equipment properly, you'd find your average cable operators switch backed up by a small UPS too... but the reason most of them don't do that (so they tell me) is... they get stolen. This is also the same reason they give me for not putting in better switches. Sigh. Same issue, handled differently.

Reliability: ...debatable. The Aerial vs underground argument is, in my experience, bunk. To be completely forthcoming, my own experiences give me fewer problems with my aerial cables than my underground ones. Airtel's experience may differ of course. But a fault rate of <5% is... nothing to be proud of <0.05% would be what I would be aiming for.

Service:
Woooooooooow. They provide software for fixing problems remotely. Anybody can do this - teamviewer, logmein, RDP, VNC... all that sort of stuff is widely available. If I'm to believe reports, usually the customer's PC or configuration gets blamed anyway. And forget Airtel's software if you don't run Windows!

Sheesh, excepting actual wiring issues, if my support team can see your router (that is, it's turned on and has an IP address), we can fix most issues remotely - and that's if we even have to. And you know what's better than TR-069? Non-interactive self-configuration of the router. The user shouldn't even see this: just plug it in and you have Internet. Unless the device itself is faulty, in which case, it gets replaced.

As for 4 hours... In what universe does Airtel solve things in 4 hours? I've not heard anyone getting service that fast - is this something new? Any customers care to update me?

That Ads were clearing against Beam.
I Laughed like anything first when i saw those Flyer. I think the article Explained what's in their in Reality and with Respect to LCO's and What's Good with other Regional ISP's who are updated with latest Technology.

Airtel is Clear mess. They Cannot provide Good plans and still want to Loot consumers by Bluffing Customers. They could have come with following plans just like Reliance may be bit costly to maintain their ARPU's or Profits.

1mbps Unlimited For 649+ taxes
2mbps unlimited for 849+ taxes.
4mbps unlimited for 1399+ taxes.
8mbps up to 200Gb and 1mbps after FUP for 2499+taxes. I know I am Dreaming but they should have done this.:annoyed:

Been a user since 2009, the next thing I want from beam is cable tv and phone connection. i want MOAR.

That Ads were clearing against Beam.
I Laughed like anything first when i saw those Flyer. I think the article Explained what's in their in Reality and with Respect to LCO's and What's Good with other Regional ISP's who are updated with latest Technology.

Airtel is Clear mess. They Cannot provide Good plans and still want to Loot consumers by Bluffing Customers. They could have come with following plans just like Reliance may be bit costly to maintain their ARPU's or Profits.

Maintaining ARPU = easy. The customer can't negotiate the price of your product and all customers pay the same amount of money according to their plan (don't get me started on discounts)...
Maintaining profit = way not as easy. Variables like usage (in the case of your below unlimited plans), distance, required maintenance, capacity/equipment upgrades etc are different basically on a per subscriber basis.

1mbps Unlimited For 649+ taxes
2mbps unlimited for 849+ taxes.
4mbps unlimited for 1399+ taxes.
8mbps up to 200Gb and 1mbps after FUP for 2499+taxes. I know I am Dreaming but they should have done this.:annoyed:

Now you're being silly -- not to mention completely unambitious... you're falling in to the trap of "racing to the bottom"... plus, why should the 8mbit/s connection be nearly double the price *AND* have an FUP, but not the lower connections (which 97% of the users are going to be availing) don't? This pricing would be screwing over their best customers (the ones who pay the most money)!!! As a business, you're trying to entice people to spend cash with you, not trying to chase them away. If it were me, I'd say... Rs2k for the 8mbit/s, tops OR higher price points for the lower plans. And/or FUPs on the lower plans but maybe relaxed on the higher ones. The more you pay, the more you get. Make sense?

If there's one thing good I can say about Airtel's fixed line division is that nowadays they have that minimum price point, which, in theory *should* translate to a better quality service because what users don't seem to realize is that there is a fixed base cost involved in providing a service - nobody in India seems to take in to account that the price of the cables, switches/dslams, modems, maintenance etc is basically always the same, so there is a lowest price point that they can offer services at... what goes on top of that is usually a case of the goldilocks effect (perceived value).

Also, I've said it before and I'll say it again: unlimited is a bad business model. To simplify *that* argument, I'd simply suggest that if you disagree with that, please start petitioning the electricity company to provide you with unlimited power at a fixed rate ;)

Been a user since 2009, the next thing I want from beam is cable tv and phone connection. i want MOAR.

If you knew how expensive an NLD/ILD license was, you'd know why they don't supply it. As for the TV... I think they can do IPTV if nothing else.

Now you're being silly -- not to mention completely unambitious... you're falling in to the trap of "racing to the bottom"... plus, why should the 8mbit/s connection be nearly double the price *AND* have an FUP, but not the lower connections (which 97% of the users are going to be availing) don't? This pricing would be screwing over their best customers
Trying to think the Airtel Way :p

Also, I've said it before and I'll say it again: unlimited is a bad business model. To simplify *that* argument, I'd simply suggest that if you disagree with that, please start petitioning the electricity company to provide you with unlimited power at a fixed rate ;)

I dont find that reason convincing enough. Lets just say you have setup a home network using 54mbps router. later after an year you upgraded the router to N300. The cost of the router is one time investment since the power consumption of both the routers were identical. now why should you expect me to pay more for using more bandwidth even after the breakeven?

I dont find that reason convincing enough. Lets just say you have setup a home network using 54mbps router. later after an year you upgraded the router to N300. The cost of the router is one time investment since the power consumption of both the routers were identical. now why should you expect me to pay more for using more bandwidth even after the breakeven?

This would be a false syllogism - you're focusing on the wrong part of the argument.

Upgrading a piece of hardware which turns out to be faster due to the inherent and inevitible improvements in technology comes under my fixed costs as mentioned earlier, for which I am already charging you as part of my basic subscription fee - that's just part of my cost of doing business and I *shouldn't* charge you to upgrade that router or to utilized the now increased speeds available by virtue of my having upgraded the router.

Power consumption and increased capacity of the device itself notwithstanding, I'm only talking about the actual consumption of data by you, the subscriber. Allowing for the unlimited consumption of a resource, which, whether we're talking about electricity or bandwidth or anything else, is finite and has to be shared among all customers. As such, while "unlimited" is a nice idea for consumers, it's a bad business model for the providers.

To apply this scenario to other businesses, it would be like being able to pay a fixed monthly rate to the supermarket and go and get as much food as you can carry, or being able to consume as much electricity or as much petrol per month as you like every month for some fixed price. But back in the real world, these things are all charged by the litre/unit/kilo/etc and I hear no complaints about that ;)

After all, since all customers do not consume equally, applying a fixed rate is less fair to some than to others, hence my advocacy for unit-based pricing - on the proviso that the unit price is reasonable. Then you wouldn't have all this nonsense about 256kbps to the ISP node and stuff, rather instead having "whatever the line gives" - which would make all the offerings way simpler because there's only 1 question that really needs to be asked: how much do you use in a month?

And to be frank, probably 80% of the people I encounter who think they need "unlimited" really don't.

Mgcarley, I found this Airtel's Claim to be true with speed dropping when there is heavy load at network.

The Speed is not consistent. Even to Youtube the Speed Goes to 1mbps max. I'm on 3mbps plan btw. This Happens during Day time from 10am to 8pm.
In the Night Web Pages do Load Faster as the users on the network will be less.

Even after Hitting FUP I'm thrown back to 786Kbps where Youtube Videos will suffer to load smoothly even 240p Videos. What could be the Reason? I'm planning to Get my connection to a Different ONT where there are less connections.

Mgcarley, I found this Airtel's Claim to be true with speed dropping when there is heavy load at network.

Of course, but this happens on *any* network, irrespective of what type of network it is.

The Speed is not consistent. Even to Youtube the Speed Goes to 1mbps max. I'm on 3mbps plan btw. This Happens during Day time from 10am to 8pm.
In the Night Web Pages do Load Faster as the users on the network will be less.

Even after Hitting FUP I'm thrown back to 786Kbps where Youtube Videos will suffer to load smoothly even 240p Videos. What could be the Reason?

In the case of Youtube, it's probably a simple matter of capacity between Beam and Youtube. The only way they can really fix it is to obtain more capacity to Youtube, however that may be achieved.

I'm planning to Get my connection to a Different ONT where there are less connections.

Frankly speaking, that's unlikely to help. As I understand it, most of Beam's ONTs are connected to Beam's CO at 1Gbit/s. Even with a couple of 24-port switches running at full capacity that's still a good 20-ish mbit/s per subscriber if you were to divide it all equally (and no, that's not how it works... Beam could sell plans operating at 100mbit/s speeds on this equipment and there would be no reason that you couldn't achieve close to those speeds to some websites a lot of the time... to put it simply, the bandwidth is given to the subscriber on a demand basis, so the only time you'd actually get as low as 20mbit/s would be if every user on that ONT was saturating his line... since that almost never happens, the speed issue within the network is actually not a problem at all).

For the record, a DSLAM and an ONT essentially play the same sort of roles in these 2 different types of network - they are, for the sake of the argument, almost the same kind of equipment. A big fiber link [from the central office] comes in, and lots of little copper links [going to the users premises] come out. Therefore, excepting the actual technology involved, how can one be better than the other? (and arguably, FTTB is better hands down for speed, and even more arguably, ADSL or VDSL *is* still FTTx anyway, just the fiber<>copper changeover is done at a different distance from the user).

In reality, the main advantage Airtel has over Beam is that Airtel owns it's International links and has a bigger pool of bandwidth to play with - Beam has something like 30gbit/s of upstream, Airtel has, what, 200gbit/s, give or take, and they do a bit more peering.

Of course, even Airtel's bandwidth is next to nothing compared to Comcast USA, SK Telecom or NTT which report gateway traffic levels exceeding 1Tbit/s (and I didn't even look at Europe) :)

Frankly speaking, that's unlikely to help. As I understand it, most of Beam's ONTs are connected to Beam's CO at 1Gbit/s. Even with a couple of 24-port switches running at full capacity that's still a good 20-ish mbit/s per subscriber if you were to divide it all equally (and no, that's not how it works... Beam could sell plans operating at 100mbit/s speeds on this equipment and there would be no reason that you couldn't achieve close to those speeds to some websites a lot of the time... to put it simply, the bandwidth is given to the subscriber on a demand basis, so the only time you'd actually get as low as 20mbit/s would be if every user on that ONT was saturating his line... since that almost never happens, the speed issue within the network is actually not a problem at all).
I Remember this, you told this last time. Unfortunately that is how it is working out with most of the Subscribers, Even my friend had this same type of problem when i Suggested switching to other ONT with less connections they Experienced better Speeds.

This is not How Something should work or it would be a Drawback with the Technology/Equipments. I'm Guessing Either they don't have Enough bandwidth to Serve users or Equipment is not enough to Serve connections on the Same ONT.

Of course, even Airtel's bandwidth is next to nothing compared to Comcast USA, SK Telecom or NTT which report gateway traffic levels exceeding 1Tbit/s (and I didn't even look at Europe)
happy19.gif
I'm Assuming you're using Comcast Internet in US, How are the Speeds/pings to India/Asia??

I Remember this, you told this last time. Unfortunately that is how it is working out with most of the Subscribers, Even my friend had this same type of problem when i Suggested switching to other ONT with less connections they Experienced better Speeds.

This is not How Something should work or it would be a Drawback with the Technology/Equipments. I'm Guessing Either they don't have Enough bandwidth to Serve users or Equipment is not enough to Serve connections on the Same ONT.

I have to wonder therefore if they are in fact connecting at 1Gbit/s as they've told me and are in fact still using 100mbit/s uplinks only. If that's the case, yeah, I'd understand :)

I'm Assuming you're using Comcast Internet in US, How are the Speeds/pings to India/Asia??

I've been testing a bunch of different providers, including Comcast. I still have Verizon FiOS, Google Fiber, CableVision, TekSavvy, CenturyLink and about 10 or 15 other ISPs I want to test before I leave. To my server in India I'm getting 285-300ms which is... roughly in line with what I'd expect from this part of the country (Chicago). From California or New York I'd expect a reduction of between 20 & 40ms.

UPDATE: http://gigaom.com/2013/03/27/unders...wn-internet-in-africa-middle-east-south-asia/
http://gigaom.com/2013/03/28/egyptian-coastguard-arrests-divers-over-major-broadband-cable-cut/

Facing horrible ping issue.
Earlier Ping to All the Servers were bad, though Ping to India, SGN Are normal now. The Ping to US servers is still 300ms+ and ping to EU servers is 400ms+
I assume Everyone in India whose ISP Sources bandwidth From TATA is Facing this Problem.

I also noticed that Traffic Is routed via Chennai > Singapore > US > Europe

Code:
C:\Documents and Settings\Sme>Tracert leaseweb.com

Tracing route to leaseweb.com [85.17.134.129]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.0.1
  2    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  ras.beamtele.net [49.204.0.1]
  3    1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  ras.beamtele.net [183.82.14.53]
  4    1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  121.240.252.1.STATIC-Hyderabad.vsnl.net.in [121.
240.252.1]
  5    *        *        *    Request timed out.
  6    13 ms    13 ms    42 ms  ix-0-100.tcore1.MLV-Mumbai.as6453.net [180.87.38
.5]
  7  397 ms  403 ms  397 ms  if-7-2.tcore1.CXR-Chennai.as6453.net [180.87.36.
34]
  8    *        *        *    Request timed out.
  9  398 ms    *        *    if-6-2.tcore2.TV2-Tokyo.as6453.net [180.87.12.11
0]
10  441 ms    *        *    if-2-2.tcore1.TV2-Tokyo.as6453.net [180.87.180.1
]
11  399 ms  399 ms  399 ms  if-9-2.tcore2.PDI-PaloAlto.as6453.net [180.87.18
0.17]
12  405 ms  420 ms  402 ms  if-11-3.tcore2.CT8-Chicago.as6453.net [66.198.14
4.58]
13  410 ms  411 ms  407 ms  if-22-2.tcore1.CT8-Chicago.as6453.net [64.86.79.
2]
14  410 ms  404 ms  407 ms  if-12-6.tcore2.NYY-NewYork.as6453.net [216.6.99.
45]
15  405 ms  404 ms  404 ms  if-20-2.tcore2.L78-London.as6453.net [216.6.99.1
4]
16  410 ms  429 ms  406 ms  if-7-2.tcore2.AV2-Amsterdam.as6453.net [80.231.1
52.13]
17  400 ms  399 ms  399 ms  80.231.152.62
18  403 ms  402 ms  402 ms  po80.sr2.evo.leaseweb.net [62.212.80.74]
19  396 ms  401 ms  396 ms  te5-1.sr6.evo.leaseweb.net [85.17.129.214]
20  424 ms  423 ms  425 ms  www.leaseweb.com [85.17.134.129]

Trace complete.

C:\Documents and Settings\Sme>tracert hostdime.com

Tracing route to hostdime.com [198.49.64.128]

3    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  ras.beamtele.net [183.82.14.53]
  4    1 ms    1 ms    1 ms  115.113.205.29.static-hyderabad.vsnl.net.in [115
.113.205.29]
  6    *      14 ms    13 ms  ix-4-2.tcore1.CXR-Chennai.as6453.net [180.87.36.
9]
  7  243 ms    *        *    if-5-2.tcore1.SVW-Singapore.as6453.net [180.87.1
2.53]
  8  226 ms  228 ms  226 ms  if-6-2.tcore2.TV2-Tokyo.as6453.net [180.87.12.11
0]
  9  239 ms    *        *    if-2-2.tcore1.TV2-Tokyo.as6453.net [180.87.180.1
]
10  237 ms  239 ms  237 ms  if-9-2.tcore2.PDI-PaloAlto.as6453.net [180.87.18
0.17]
11  245 ms  353 ms  249 ms  te1-4-10G.ar1.PAO2.gblx.net [208.51.134.97]
12  236 ms  235 ms  236 ms  xe10-2-1-10G.scr4.SNV2.gblx.net [67.17.111.245]

13  313 ms  313 ms  313 ms  xe0-1-0-10G.scr4.MIA1.gblx.net [67.16.165.206]
14  305 ms  305 ms  316 ms  lag8.AR4.MIA2.gblx.net [67.16.147.130]
15  316 ms  316 ms  316 ms  HostDime.com-10xe.mia01.gblx.net [64.214.70.10]

16  314 ms  313 ms  313 ms  xe7-1-mco1.cr2.dimenoc.com [72.29.88.34]
17  308 ms  308 ms  308 ms  198-49-64-128.static.dimenoc.com [198.49.64.128]

Trace complete.

[DOUBLEPOST=1364475591][/DOUBLEPOST]

Hey guys i have recently upgraded my plan and here comes 10mbps for Rs 1110{Price Hiked from Oct 2012}

The plan gives 10mbps till 30Gb and then 2mbps Unlimited. :bleh:

Any Beam customers here? Share your experiences!!
Now the plan has been changed. 15mbps @Rs.1110 till 30Gb then 2mbps unlimited.

UPDATE: http://gigaom.com/2013/03/27/unders...wn-internet-in-africa-middle-east-south-asia/
http://gigaom.com/2013/03/28/egyptian-coastguard-arrests-divers-over-major-broadband-cable-cut/

Facing horrible ping issue.
Earlier Ping to All the Servers were bad, though Ping to India, SGN Are normal now. The Ping to US servers is still 300ms+

Considering the US-based server in question is in Orlando, a ping time of 300 odd milliseconds should be expected.

and ping to EU servers is 400ms+
I assume Everyone in India whose ISP Sources bandwidth From TATA is Facing this Problem.

The cable cut would affect people on ISPs who source bandwidth from Airtel as well. Redundant cables aren't very useful when they're in maintenance mode.

I also noticed that Traffic Is routed via Chennai > Singapore > US > Europe

Code:
C:\Documents and Settings\Sme>tracert hostdime.com

Tracing route to hostdime.com [198.49.64.128]

3    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  ras.beamtele.net [183.82.14.53]
  4    1 ms    1 ms    1 ms  115.113.205.29.static-hyderabad.vsnl.net.in [115.113.205.29]
  6    *      14 ms    13 ms  ix-4-2.tcore1.CXR-Chennai.as6453.net [180.87.36.9]
  7  243 ms    *        *    if-5-2.tcore1.SVW-Singapore.as6453.net [180.87.12.53]
  8  226 ms  228 ms  226 ms  if-6-2.tcore2.TV2-Tokyo.as6453.net [180.87.12.110]
  9  239 ms    *        *    if-2-2.tcore1.TV2-Tokyo.as6453.net [180.87.180.1]
10  237 ms  239 ms  237 ms  if-9-2.tcore2.PDI-PaloAlto.as6453.net [180.87.180.17]
11  245 ms  353 ms  249 ms  te1-4-10G.ar1.PAO2.gblx.net [208.51.134.97]
12  236 ms  235 ms  236 ms  xe10-2-1-10G.scr4.SNV2.gblx.net [67.17.111.245]
13  313 ms  313 ms  313 ms  xe0-1-0-10G.scr4.MIA1.gblx.net [67.16.165.206]
14  305 ms  305 ms  316 ms  lag8.AR4.MIA2.gblx.net [67.16.147.130]
15  316 ms  316 ms  316 ms  HostDime.com-10xe.mia01.gblx.net [64.214.70.10]
16  314 ms  313 ms  313 ms  xe7-1-mco1.cr2.dimenoc.com [72.29.88.34]
17  308 ms  308 ms  308 ms  198-49-64-128.static.dimenoc.com [198.49.64.128]

Trace complete.

[DOUBLEPOST=1364475591][/DOUBLEPOST]

Considering the US-based server in question is in Orlando, a ping time of 300 odd milliseconds should be expected.
I used to Get less than 250ms Everytime when it was normally routed ( Via London > Paris > USA).

Moreover, 400ms+ ping to europe is unacceptable. Should check back if they Switch back to the old routing by tomorrow.

I used to Get less than 250ms Everytime when it was normally routed ( Via London > Paris > USA).

Maybe, but it's insignificant since Orlando is closer to India via Europe but only marginally so. If we assumed that ping works at the speed of light (it doesn't), calculating the shortest distance as the crow flies as being 14474km (+/- 50km) the best time you could hope for (in a straight line) would be just on 194ms. Add ~1ms for each router that's 210ms. Add a bit of latency for the zigging and zagging it has to do under the sea and around land-masses and 250ms is more or less best-case, assuming no congestion. Considering it's taking the long way around for the next few days, 50ms extra shouldn't be a big problem, all things considered.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that 300ms or so is within expectations.

Moreover, 400ms+ ping to europe is unacceptable. Should check back if they Switch back to the old routing by tomorrow.

It takes longer than that to fix a submarine cable, especially one like SMW4. Give it a week.

Back