10mbps for Rs 1110 From Beam fiber

Anyone Facing Speed issues? Download Speeds have been pathetic from the past few days. Even Downloads From Dedicated Sites like apple,Filehippo are Damn Slow.
Presently on a 1mbps connection I'm Getting Downloads Speeds of 30kb/s.
torrents Speeds are fine, youtube buffering even for 360p videos. This is the First time I am facing speed issues with beam. :(
@mgcarley, Any Idea?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah any info on the entry in other metro cities.
We got poor speeds. Even Blr has got ACT.
Why on earth are these cities called metropolitan cities when they don't have good speeds.
Beam can you enter Chennai?

For the record, Beam is owned by ACT.

They probably won't be entering Chennai any time soon.

Anyone Facing Speed issues? Download Speeds have been pathetic from the past few days. Even Downloads From Dedicated Sites like apple,Filehippo are Damn Slow.
Presently on a 1mbps connection I'm Getting Downloads Speeds of 30kb/s.
torrents Speeds are fine, youtube buffering even for 360p videos. This is the First time I am facing speed issues with beam. :(
mgcarley, Any Idea?

Dunno, I'd have to ask someone at Beam if something is going on over there.

@krisballa do you have any idea how many connections are connected to the ONT box to which your connection has been Given?

Shouldn't matter. Even with a 100mbit/s switch with 48 ports there should be plenty of bandwidth to go around - it doesn't magically divide available bandwidth by number of connections (eg 100mbits / 48 subscriber = 2.08mbit/s) - that would just be a kind of "minimum available" - in most countries they'd call this the CBR or constant bitrate, and anything over and above that is kind of a bonus that you get based on the conditions on the network, eg, if you're on a 10mbps plan, you should still get 10mbps most of the time because it's unlikely that 100% of the connected users are going to be downloading simultaneously.

What usually happens if you're in a country like Aussie and NZ where they don't restrict the speed on your line but they do restrict the data transfer (for DSL, anyway), is that the actual download speed varies depending on the time of the day and all that but the idea is that *most* of the time you should get *most* of the available speed because there is a large pool of bandwidth available to a given number of subscribers, but their utilization varies resulting in minor (although sometimes major) speed fluctuations.

hey

I'm planning to take 10mbps connection. Can anyone tell me how much speed i can expect min is it somewhat 8mbps speed atleast at most of the times?

Shouldn't matter. Even with a 100mbit/s switch with 48 ports there should be plenty of bandwidth to go around - it doesn't magically divide available bandwidth by number of connections (eg 100mbits / 48 subscriber = 2.08mbit/s) - that would just be a kind of "minimum available" - in most countries they'd call this the CBR or constant bitrate, and anything over and above that is kind of a bonus that you get based on the conditions on the network, eg, if you're on a 10mbps plan, you should still get 10mbps most of the time because it's unlikely that 100% of the connected users are going to be downloading simultaneously.

What usually happens if you're in a country like Aussie and NZ where they don't restrict the speed on your line but they do restrict the data transfer (for DSL, anyway), is that the actual download speed varies depending on the time of the day and all that but the idea is that *most* of the time you should get *most* of the available speed because there is a large pool of bandwidth available to a given number of subscribers, but their utilization varies resulting in minor (although sometimes major) speed fluctuations.

What you're speaking is Theoretical or May be it Works Good for you! I hear from my Friends & the other users on this forum. The Port Switch Box is the culprit, they use the Cheap Quality Equipment. I'm Sure if they switch my Connection to another Box, I will Get Good Speeds.

... and Moreover, The Speeds are Good when Most of them leave for their offices.

Recently @sharktale1212 had Similar issue, Changing the Switch solved his problem.

Their FUP reset Software is a big problem now, Either it Reduces Speed Early or It doesn't want to Reset!!

- - - Updated - - -

hey

I'm planning to take 10mbps connection. Can anyone tell me how much speed i can expect min is it somewhat 8mbps speed atleast at most of the times?
you will get maximum speeds.

What you're speaking is Theoretical or May be it Works Good for you! I hear from my Friends & the other users on this forum. The Port Switch Box is the culprit, they use the Cheap Quality Equipment. I'm Sure if they switch my Connection to another Box, I will Get Good Speeds.

... and Moreover, The Speeds are Good when Most of them leave for their offices.

Recently @sharktale1212 had Similar issue, Changing the Switch solved his problem.

We're replacing old and low-quality switches on cable-operator's networks all the time to solve problems on networks over here, so I'm very well aware of the measures that most of them take to save that extra 50 bucks.

But that's a problem with broken equipment, not a problem with the mathematics we use to work out what resources we have to allocate and where.

Of course if you use an el-cheapo 200-rupee switch it's going to be crap - that's a given, you get what you pay for - but that doesn't necessarily mean you have to have a 20,000 rupee switch to achieve the results I'm referring to, either.

Looks like the speeds have been upgraded. Getting 2MB/sec download speed on a 10Mbps connection.:yahoo: I can only hope that it is a permanent speed bump.

Woah.. same here :D .. I've been getting 1.7-1.9 MBps download speed since last 2 days .. I thought it was some mixup .. :p (10mbps plan)

But the connection has been terrible .. I guess due to the rains. Keeps disconnecting frequently.

dexBG Is it 2MBps now after being FUP'd? I was hoping that they would increase the FUP limits as well. Looks like I was mistaken. The weird part is that there hasn't been any official announcement on the increased speeds.

Nothing like Speed bump and its not Happening from 2days or something. I get 15mbps everytime on my 1110 plan. I am sure its some Fault from their End? Where do you stay @tufel?

Last edited by a moderator:
dexBG Is it 2MBps now after being FUP'd? I was hoping that they would increase the FUP limits as well. Looks like I was mistaken. The weird part is that there hasn't been any official announcement on the increased speeds.

Yea still 2Mbps after the FUP .. no official Announcement from Beam but speeds have gone upto 15mbps.

Nothing like Speed bump and its not Happening from 2days or something. I get 15mbps everytime on my 1110 plan. I am sure its some Fault from their End? Where do you stay tufel?
M.G. Road, Secunderabad. I'm loving the speeds but the thing is that torrents rarely go that fast.

Yea still 2Mbps after the FUP .. no official Announcement from Beam but speeds have gone upto 15mbps.
I'm Hearing this from today morning from everyone's mouth
M.G. Road, Secunderabad. I'm loving the speeds but the thing is that torrents rarely go that fast.
Aah. Seems like Every one is Getting Extra Speeds on their plans. Whatever it doesn't matter unless and untill they offer 4mbps unlimited for 1110.

Back