10mbps for Rs 1110 From Beam fiber

Yes .. got 1.8MB/s download speeds on torrents today .. and exhausted my FUP in 3 hours .. :p

They should really increase the FUP if they increase the speeds.

Official Announcement out. Not at all Impressed with the Beam's Plan of JUST upgrading Speeds.
Speeds Doesn't Cost them Nothing! @mgcarley
So people Who are Jumping, Calm Down .. you're Just going to Hit the FUP Soon. That's it.

Looking at the what ACT Group is offering I could only say they have a Good Plan ACT Force.Rest of them are Bullshit. Seems like the Internet BOOM is over! We were Expecting ACT group(beam,ACT) to change the market FUP Scene. Disappointed Big time!:no2:

The End Question is.. Is ACT Group Going the Airtel's Way??

Last edited by a moderator:
ya damn u beam , now i am at 20Mbps , should go selective downloading , dont wanna downgrade , because then i be stuck with 2 mbps after FUP

guys please give me some explanation. how is this beam fibre able to give such speeds at such prices. i mean, even bsnl has started optical fibre in my city but the tariffs are outrageous and in a totally different world compared to these beam fibre rates... how can there be such huge difference???

here are the bsnl rates..
bsnl.jpg

guys please give me some explanation. how is this beam fibre able to give such speeds at such prices. i mean, even bsnl has started optical fibre in my city but the tariffs are outrageous and in a totally different world compared to these beam fibre rates... how can there be such huge difference???

here are the bsnl rates..

1.BSNL has Underground Fiber, Beam Doesn't. Beam Provides Internet via FTTB(Fiber to the building) Where it is Aerial Wiring. Hence the cost is less for Beam(This is an minor Reason).
2. BSNL has New VDSL plans to compete with Beam only in Hyderabad;Competition between ISP's in your city should also force BSNL to offer such plans for your City.

Official Announcement out. Not at all Impressed with the Beam's Plan of JUST upgrading Speeds.
Speeds Doesn't Cost them Nothing! mgcarley

Yes it does. You think cables and equipment magically increase in price when they upgrade your speeds to 15 or 20 or 50mbps? They can deliver you 50GB at 1 or 10 or 100mbps for the same price, give or take a few thousandths of a paise in the cost of electricity.

All I can say is that it doesn't cost me any more to deliver 100mbps than it does to deliver 10, excepting the differences in actual usage between the two. Sure, I have to buy higher-speed backhaul lines but the price differences between those are insignificant when spread over numerous customers and once I get to a certain point I can just switch to dark-fiber which means I can deliver 1 or 10 or 100gbits for the same price (except I have to change out my gigabit equipment for 10g or 40g or 100g equipment but again, relatively insignificant cost increase).

The tariff increases you've seen are *probably* due to new DoT fees, not due to the speed increases.

So people Who are Jumping, Calm Down .. you're Just going to Hit the FUP Soon. That's it.

There's nothing wrong with FUPs in theory, so long as they're reasonable (not 30GB but more like 150GB or 500GB or whatever, depending on the price being offered). Maybe you should check out Moutter mouth | The National Business Review - it's along the lines of what I've been saying for ages.

Put simply, unlimited (as in usage) is an untenable business case, so you need to place limits on what the user can use and either 1. limit him after the fact or 2. make him pay for more.

BUT

So long as the limits in question are reasonable to the customer and the majority of customers aren't hitting the limits, it shouldn't be a problem, or so long as the overage costs are relatively painless (not rs100/GB)

Moreoever, I think a plan with an FUP shouldn't be advertised as unlimited - but that's just a personal thing - hence I prefer the term "flat-rate" because it means "a fixed amount of money you're going to pay" rather than "use as much as you want... in fact, why not set up a cybercafe and hammer the connection?" :D

guys please give me some explanation. how is this beam fibre able to give such speeds at such prices.

In short: the guys running BSNL are old and don't know what us young people want. They also want their RoI to be as quick as possible (like, 1 year instead of 7) because they're in so much debt. That's the gist of BSNL's tariff differences.

Also, the extra speed doesn't cost, but it is used to differentiate cost between plans because most of BSNL's FTTH tariffs are "unlimited" (as in usage), so obviously 100mbps has to cost more than 10... unfortunately, however, they did the sums wrong and they seem to think that someone with a 100mbps pipe is magically going to use 10x more than someone with a 10mbps pipe - contrary to any numbers you'd see anywhere else in the world, including my own experiences here in India.

^^^^^ #mgcarley ... true.. guys please understand ..the broadband cable that is extended to your homes already has the capacity to provide the full speed eg.. 100mbps that the ISP can provide... the speed is only limited via your modem.. not that the modem is not capable.. when the modem is online, it automatically downloads a file from the ISP which specifies the speed, bandwidth limits. etc... its the amount of data transfer that changes the costs.. it doesnt cost the ISP differently to give you a 100 GB of download at 50 Mbps or 5 Mbps because the infrastructure that is in place is already capable of providing the full speed from the ISP.. it all depends on your broadband plan that you've chosen.. how do you think airtel is able to provide speed on demand.. the speed is forcibly limited so that they can charge you differently by artificially creating 10 different broadband plans... as soon as you opt for the higher speed in airtel speed on demand, all they do is increase the speed limit for the paid time...

and you will see that many ISPs will give you high download speeds but not equally high upload speeds.. thats because uploading is much more expensive for the ISPs than downloading... they have to pay much more to the internet gateways to be able to upload data... even in this case the upload speed given to the users doesnt affect the cost but they just limit the amount of max data that can be uploaded in order to keep the costs low..

- - - Updated - - -

1.BSNL has Underground Fiber, Beam Doesn't. Beam Provides Internet via FTTB(Fiber to the building) Where it is Aerial Wiring. Hence the cost is less for Beam(This is an minor Reason).
2. BSNL has New VDSL plans to compete with Beam only in Hyderabad;Competition between ISP's in your city should also force BSNL to offer such plans for your City.

but bsnl has services all over the country..and i dont think they will have much different tariffs in different cities???

^^^^^ #mgcarley ... true.. guys please understand ..the broadband cable that is extended to your homes already has the capacity to provide the full speed eg.. 100mbps that the ISP can provide... the speed is only limited via your modem..

In the case of DSL, it's limited to the speeds of ADSL or VDSL (8/24 or 55/100mbit/s respectively depending on the version), not to 100mbit/s as the FTTB ISPs are able to provide.

and you will see that many ISPs will give you high download speeds but not equally high upload speeds.. thats because uploading is much more expensive for the ISPs than downloading... they have to pay much more to the internet gateways to be able to upload data... even in this case the upload speed given to the users doesnt affect the cost but they just limit the amount of max data that can be uploaded in order to keep the costs low..

Not true even in the slightest. When ISPs buy bandwidth, they buy a fully synchronous pipe. In the case of DSL, the maximum upload speed is limited by the technology (1mbit/s in the case of ADSL, 3 or 100mbit/s in the case of VDSL). Again, in the case of FTTB providers, this limitation doesn't exist and you can get 100mbit/s easily.

A lot of the reason upstream is artificially limited can be reduced to a couple of things:
1. Provider offers hosting services, and the otherwise unused outgoing bandwidth is used for that, thus giving them an extra revenue stream.
2. Because home users typically aren't allowed to host servers, so the need for upstream bandwidth isn't there, so it's limited either to reduce performance of servers and in a lot of cases, reduces the fallout from malware infected PCs: imagine for a moment you have a PC and it gets hijacked for sending out spam and other crapware. Or it's used as an illegal proxy. Or it's used as part of a zombie botnet. If the speed is limited to something arbitrary like 1mbps, the potential damage to the rest of the internet (and indeed, the rest of it's own users) is mitigated as compared to an ISP that allows a full 100mbps synchronous connection.

These are the two major justifications I've heard of, anyway. It has nothing to do with cost, and whoever told you this is the reason should be kicked in the face.

These are the two major justifications I've heard of, anyway. It has nothing to do with cost, and whoever told you this is the reason should be kicked in the face.
^^^#mgcarley
hi.. noone told the reason to me.. i just keep searching for stuff for knowledge all the time and read this on the internet ..some websites.. not a forum.. they might have been wrong.. ..infact i have only seen this difference in upload and download bandwidth in BSNL. the ISP in my city , YouTelecom gives equal upload speed as the download speed according to our plan.. so does airtel..

- - - Updated - - -

also no FUP for us.. i have even downloaded more than 60 GB on 512Kbps day and 1 Mbps Night connection in less than a month.

^^^#mgcarley
hi.. noone told the reason to me.. i just keep searching for stuff for knowledge all the time and read this on the internet ..some websites.. not a forum.. they might have been wrong.. ..infact i have only seen this difference in upload and download bandwidth in BSNL. the ISP in my city , YouTelecom gives equal upload speed as the download speed according to our plan.. so does airtel..

Airtel can give synchronous speeds up to 1mbit/s, beyond that ADSL makes it impossible. You Telecom can on their FTTB network but not on their ADSL network. BSNL can give up to 1mbit/s but typically stops at 512k because I think they have an addon where you can pay extra for faster upload (MTNL does, I assume BSNL has the same)...

But yes, upload is not strictly speaking more expensive than download, but something like 75% of the world uses DSL as an access medium, so the technology limits the speed.

also no FUP for us.. i have even downloaded more than 60 GB on 512Kbps day and 1 Mbps Night connection in less than a month.

What's your point? I've downloaded in excess of a Terabyte on my 100mbit/s connection, but on an average month I do around 100GB in each direction :) 1mbps is capable of 300GB if you leave it running 24x7.

I request the mods to change the thread title to "15mbps for Rs 1110". Let us become the subject of everyone's envy.:p

Yeah, Rs. 1660 to be precise.

It Seems they're Concentrating on Customer service than on Cheap tariff plans, Their New Move of just Upgrading Speeds Suggest me the Same!

It's a Good thing, But still they need to upgrade and Give out the maximum possibilities from their infrastructure. :)

Back