10MBPS unlimited download- fivenetwork(isp) for 5999/- per annum

Naturally, the fact that he has mentioned it to be upto 10 Mbps means that somewhere down the line, speeds will be in the 3-4 Mbps range, with occasional spikes to 10 Mbps, which mind you, still is very good I would say.. The second thing is that the novelty factor of having such high speeds wears off soon. Only for the 1st few weeks would we have the feeling of "OMG. I can download anything I want in less than an hour". After a couple of months, it would be like "Do I need it in the 1st place?". What I mean to say is, if you are going to download a particular content (say a TV Series), you would download it anyway, irrespective of the speed you are getting. Just that now you will be able to get it faster. The "Hit and Run" kinda scenario wherein you download anything that comes in your way won't last long. Atleast it didn't for me when I upgraded from 64 Kbps to 256 Kbps and then from 256 Kbps to 2 Mbps. So I personally think, even if the promise of 10 Mbps is maintained for the initial few months, it would be a great thing !

gizmoholic said:
Naturally, the fact that he has mentioned it to be upto 10 Mbps means that somewhere down the line, speeds will be in the 3-4 Mbps range, with occasional spikes to 10 Mbps, which mind you, still is very good I would say.. The second thing is that the novelty factor of having such high speeds wears off soon. Only for the 1st few weeks would we have the feeling of "OMG. I can download anything I want in less than an hour". After a couple of months, it would be like "Do I need it in the 1st place?". What I mean to say is, if you are going to download a particular content (say a TV Series), you would download it anyway, irrespective of the speed you are getting. Just that now you will be able to get it faster. The "Hit and Run" kinda scenario wherein you download anything that comes in your way won't last long. Atleast it didn't for me when I upgraded from 64 Kbps to 256 Kbps and then from 256 Kbps to 2 Mbps. So I personally think, even if the promise of 10 Mbps is maintained for the initial few months, it would be a great thing !
save electricity + time + Effort = MONEY

@gizmoholic...u got a point and that's true...u get bored of downloading after some tym....storage problem(as malhotraraul said) and stuff....and i may not take the plan for the following reason....my cable operator is not giving me a wireless option for 10mbps plan....and i need wireless because my bro and dad also use net.

p.s i had to borrow my friends 1tb hdd for the day :p as my hdd is 90% full.

got dc++ so no need to worry as i get the same/similar speed thr too.

malhotraraul said:
thats for later, everything they claim is in writing & nothing verbal, if in-case things go out of hand, i am all planned for legal action.
wow thats great because most of us in India stay quiet and accept whatever happens

@Raul
The money you are saving in electricity is lost in the additional charge you give for the plan (This plan is 8k after all the additional charges while 1 Mbps is 4k)..I don't agree with the Time and Effort part either, because it's just a matter of adding a particular file to a queue. And besides I just set it and forget. I am not going to sit and stare at it till the download completes :p

gizmoholic said:
@Raul
The money you are saving in electricity is lost in the additional charge you give for the plan (This plan is 8k after all the additional charges while 1 Mbps is 4k)..I don't agree with the Time and Effort part either, because it's just a matter of adding a particular file to a queue. And besides I just set it and forget. I am not going to sit and stare at it till the download completes :p
you can put it tp auto shut down when download completes in utorrent

so if i roughly calculate since the creation of this thread & if you had kept your PC on till now then you have downloaded a little less than 1TB of data in less than 24 hours ??????

Err 10 Mbps .....say max 1.25 MB/s that means = 4.5 GB per hour ~~ 100GB or so per day ! How come u got that 1TB figure

malhotraraul said:
anyone aware of their office in THANE ??????????????//

Where in Thane do you stay?
I had called one of their Thane numbers. He turned out to be a cable operator in Wagle Estate area. He confirmed the rates mentioned in the ad. But was unable to provide service in Naupada area in Thane. These cable guys have divided towns into separate areas with an understanding that they wont encroach on each others area.

AFAIK, fivenetwork's service in Thane is mainly available on what are the outskirts of the city viz. Ghodbunder road etc.

gizmoholic said:
@Raul

hahahahaha whatever i meant, no one sits all the time to watch it complete.

p.s. please do not make comments against the thread subject, we have a mods baby here on this thread, whereas he is allowed to say any darn sh!t he wants but when we say things, he runs to momma & momma gives infractions.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

paraman said:
Where in Thane do you stay?
I had called one of their Thane numbers. He turned out to be a cable operator in Wagle Estate area. He confirmed the rates mentioned in the ad. But was unable to provide service in Naupada area in Thane. These cable guys have divided towns into separate areas with an understanding that they wont encroach on each others area.

AFAIK, fivenetwork's service in Thane is mainly available on what are the outskirts of the city viz. Ghodbunder road etc.
i found a guy who provides the same in my area but when i spoke to him today, this bugger is busy in election & says can only do something after elections, whats the use when the scheme is gonna over this week itself.

in my conversation i also asked him the details about the connection, he said that i need 2 or 3 people together to apply for the connection, which is total bull.

i called five network & said the same, they said they have extended this upto 10th of November 2010, whereas i have not got any confirmation in writing.

as far as the area division is concerned it is only divided for TV & not for internet, only other cable guy cannot enter other cable wala's area, internet they so not have such understanding.

@Rahul that is the same scene in my area.I had asked him but he told he wont give connection for single person.If i can get 5-6 people he will put separate line and give connection.

PS : last time i went to 5net's office the speeds of there plan was pathetic :-/ i was getting only 8kBps on 512 connection :| So i dont know the quality of this plan either :S Better wait for MTNL to upgrade plans :p

w1nD said:
@Rahul that is the same scene in my area.I had asked him but he told he wont give connection for single person.If i can get 5-6 people he will put separate line and give connection.

PS : last time i went to 5net's office the speeds of there plan was pathetic :-/ i was getting only 8kBps on 512 connection :| So i dont know the quality of this plan either :S Better wait for MTNL to upgrade plans :p

MTNL won't upgrade for some time as five net is not so common and unknow to many people

w1nD said:

ok, here goes .............

i brought my hathway connection back in 2002, as there was no hathway internet connection in my area & the nearest connection was half a kilometer away which was also another area.

when i approached them they were hesitant as they told me that it belongs to other cable guys & they cannot enter, where as my local TV guys was not providing internet facility, i took corporators letter to permit him to enter.

also had to make my cable guys understand that this was only internet connection & i am not taking any TV connection as the connection was coming through cable, also told them that if i was taking TV connection then i had to remove their which i am not, hence they agreed for my connection.

now, same 2-3 people story, even after giving them the letter they gave me this bull about bringing people, then i literally had to fight with them & went there every weekend for 3 weeks & finally they agreed but i had to pay 5k extra for installation apart from whatever plan charges i was taking.

ALL THIS FOR 64Kbps which had 5GB download Limit.

now the funny part, just because of me HATHWAY was allowed to enter my area & now there are around 250 connections just around my house, haven't checked the entire area, i am sure there will be more.

this is INDIA, customer is a BEGGAR first & then a FOOL

Lol, am on a 5 mbps plan, unltd. everything ;) In fact I mostly stream videos and such, having run out of most things to download ATM...

Back