Budget 31-40k 32 inch 4K monitor suggestions

32 inch is only good for 2K IMHO, after using 27" monitors for both 1080p and 1440p, if anybody want to enjoy 4K, they must have 39" to 42" kinda MONITORS and with 144Hz rate to 165Hz rate is the sweet spot.

i find ACER PREDATOR 43" 4K monitor @ 144hz refresh rate in the market, and it is priced at 95K+,

If you are a BUDGET user, 4K @ 32" is waste of money, 2K @ 32" is the right choice and can settle down with a 1070 GPU to crack 144Hz refresh rate @ 2K is awesome.
Did you ever check the PPI for a 32 inch 2K and 32 inch 4K, its huge. I have used iMac 2K and 5k in the Office and trust me, the clarity is easily noticable expecially while using anything that has Text or readable content. Don't get me started on the Media consumption or Media. Just check the review of that Acer Predator 43 inch BFGD (Big Format Gaming Display), it has quality issues and does not supports 4K @ 144 Hertz with a Single DP cable. Read a little bit about DSC, its Second Gen monitor is also out plus this is also not an IPS Panel, its a VA (has its own limitations).

I am also in the same boad at you are @ruiner21. My Friend bought two monitors. One is the LG G850 for gaming as it is 2K and 144 Hertz, he could not spend too much for a GPU to game at 4K.
Then he also bough the E3270U because he also used Mac (He develops Apps for Mac) and is in love with the Monitor, he wanted to go for the 3280U (IPS) but then it was coming out for 52k. The total budget he had was 70k for 2 Monitors. Go for the E3270U, you'll not regret it.

You could also look at the 27inch Monitors being offered by LG which are IPS + 4K.

@Fenix already bought the monitor mate. Bought it within a couple of days of creating the thread.

I did mention the same above, but the posts got merged, so its not very visible I guess.

I do like it very much, all the extra real estate makes a lot of things easier.

@Fenix already bought the monitor mate. Bought it within a couple of days of creating the thread.

I did mention the same above, but the posts got merged, so its not very visible I guess.

I do like it very much, all the extra real estate makes a lot of things easier.
Can you share your initial review like Colors, response time and how better it is. I am also planning to buy a Secondary monitor.

Not sure I am the right person to ask, I spend all my time either on a terminal or an ide. I haven't noticed anything wrong with the colours. That said, I use the scaled mode on MacOs as at native res the text becomes too small and I noticed some fringing around the text that small. Also, it took some time to get used to the 32 inch size, had to increase the viewing distance a bit, mostly owing to the vertical height of the monitor.

I cannot comment on the response times, but I haven't noticed anything unusual.
(Mind you I used to ssh-ing to servers via jumpboxes, so I am used to delay in response :sweatsmile: )

Not sure I am the right person to ask, I spend all my time either on a terminal or an ide. I haven't noticed anything wrong with the colours. That said, I use the scaled mode on MacOs as at native res the text becomes too small and I noticed some fringing around the text that small. Also, it took some time to get used to the 32 inch size, had to increase the viewing distance a bit, mostly owing to the vertical height of the monitor.

I cannot comment on the response times, but I haven't noticed anything unusual.
(Mind you I used to ssh-ing to servers via jumpboxes, so I am used to delay in response :sweatsmile: )
How is the text in the Virtual Machines, if you run any like Parallels or Fusion. Then I think the UL550 from LG will be a good monitor. Its 4K plus 27inch, not that big either, PPI I think is 163.

For macos, this is an interesting read. You ideally want to be close to 110 ppi or 220ppi range.

It was an interesting read indeed. And the conclusion seems to be that you need a 27inch 5k screen to be able to get the best of MacOs, or a 21.5inch 4k one, of which there are only a handful of them.

I still don't understand though, why do desktop OSs' have such a hard time adjusting to different ppi displays.

It was an interesting read indeed. And the conclusion seems to be that you need a 27inch 5k screen to be able to get the best of MacOs, or a 21.5inch 4k one, of which there are only a handful of them.

I still don't understand though, why do desktop OSs' have such a hard time adjusting to different ppi displays.
Yea, its tricky specially in macos. Since that is what I work with, I have settled with the lg ultrafine 5k for now

Did you ever check the PPI for a 32 inch 2K and 32 inch 4K, its huge. I have used iMac 2K and 5k in the Office and trust me, the clarity is easily noticable expecially while using anything that has Text or readable content.
Tks for adding another attribute, PPI, which we normally refer it in Mobile screens for its form factor is tiny, as we all know. I have a monitor which has a PPI of 109. and it is smooth, for a 27" 2K. Hence i think, for a 4K with better PPIs, i would expect 36", but it is not available in the market, after 32", there are only 34" widescreens or 38" Wider ones circulating. so, the only forced choice could be 40" or 43" if at all it is available in the market for mainstream.
Most monitors in India are pathetic and overpriced. They dump the trash here.
Well latest releases happen in those countries, where people risk for new arrivals and sometimes bite their wrong decision, so for India, we get filtered proven monitors is really good, Overpriced is true. Eventually within couple of months, the release gets cascaded to India and other countries too..... all around the world, u can't find a decent monitor yet with 1000NITS HDR :p

Yea, its tricky specially in macos. Since that is what I work with, I have settled with the lg ultrafine 5k for now
Apparently Apple is coming up with a new budget monitor which will replace existing Thunderbolt display. It might touch 1L mark in India, should be a step below current XDR.

i think that article (and esp the good/bad zone threhold) is a bit too extreme.
At the typical viewing distance of a monitor (1.5-2 feet), the retina threhold used for good zone is too high.

I use a 32" 4K in retina mode at a looks like 2560x1440 mode (150% scaling in windows terminology) and it looks super crisp even though the 138ppi pitch would translate to a very bad zone per the chart in the article
(looks like 3008x1692 also looks quite good but my eyes are aging now i suppose)

I also use a 23.5" 4K (close to 200ppi) which should place it in the green zone of that chart - but that does not make this smaller monitor look any better or worse in text rendering vs the 32"

IMO, if you care for text rendering, a 1:1 rendering with a low res monitor is best avoided, all the more so on Mac OS which has deprecated subpixel anti aliasing after Mojave...

For HiDPI options, Mac OS works a little differently in that the GPU renders the screen at an exactly 2X desired resolution (e.g. looks like 2560x1440 is actually being rendered at 5K) - and then the scaled output is sent to the monitor

Last edited:
i think that article (and esp the good/bad zone threhold) is a bit too extreme.
At the typical viewing distance of a monitor (1.5-2 feet), the retina threhold used for good zone is too high.

I use a 32" 4K in retina mode at a looks like 2560x1440 mode (150% scaling in windows terminology) and it looks super crisp even though the 138ppi pitch would translate to a very bad zone per the chart in the article
(looks like 3008x1692 also looks quite good but my eyes are aging now i suppose)

I also use a 23.5" 4K (close to 200ppi) which should place it in the green zone of that chart - but that does not make this smaller monitor look any better or worse in text rendering vs the 32"

IMO, if you care for text rendering, a 1:1 rendering with a low res monitor is best avoided, all the more so on Mac OS which has deprecated subpixel anti aliasing after Mojave...

For HiDPI options, Mac OS works a little differently in that the GPU renders the screen at an exactly 2X desired resolution (e.g. looks like 2560x1440 is actually being rendered at 5K) - and then the scaled output is sent to the monitor
Actually, I don't think it is. Especially in the MacOS context.

That 150% scaling is actually laggy, and there are scenarios where artefacts are clearly visible, as stated in the article. I have been through multiple 27 inch 4k monitors, the ultrawides, 32 inch 4k monitors. The LG Ultrafine 5k beats them all as my main display. Your eyes will thank you for it :)

Actually, I don't think it is. Especially in the MacOS context.

That 150% scaling is actually laggy, and there are scenarios where artefacts are clearly visible, as stated in the article. I have been through multiple 27 inch 4k monitors, the ultrawides, 32 inch 4k monitors. The LG Ultrafine 5k beats them all as my main display. Your eyes will thank you for it :)
You are mixing different variables.

Lagginess - That’s a result of using very high resolution supersampling with an older gen GPU - nothing to do with the monitor per se.
Mac OS does not use 150% scaling at all in hiDPI.
The looks like 2560x1440 scaling (that i presume you are referring to as 150% scaling) is actually a 5K render on GPU supersampled 2:1 on both x and y axes -
not an issue for a relatively recent MBP with a dgpu or the newer ARM macs - but bound to get a bit laggy on older Intel iGPUs

Panel Quality - The LG Ultrafine 5K is a great monitor with an A+ grade IPS panel (but with a price to match)
I am not sure which other 27 and 32 monitors you brought - but if it were low/mid range monitors like LG 32UL750 or Benq EW3270, the ultrafine is bound to look noticeably better at everything.
That is down to the panel quality though and not size or resolution

coming back to the topic, The PPI of a 5K 27” is a tad more than a 24” 4K - But both are significantly higher than a 32” 4k
Nonetheless, for non critical work, the text rendering on 32” 4K looks razor sharp as long as you are using a decent panel.

I work on two TB docking setups at home - One is 24/4k and the other is 32/4k . Tha latter is set to use 6K supersampled to 3008x1692.
However, real estate difference aside, i can‘t say that text looks any less or more fuzzy on either

I wanted to highlight another important aspect of buying a new monitor, that is the support for ddc input switch.

Been working from home from couple of months and quickly realized how important it is to have software controllable input switch. I have a home development/debug system and an office laptop and I constantly switch between them. Got LG32UN880 few months back and realized that lg has terrible support for ddc standards. Monitor having ddc as per specs defined can switch inputs from OS by applications like ddcutil. So keep in mind if you also thought of having similar setup.

This monitor generally goes for 25K. It is a decent 32 4K VA monitor. https://www.amazon.in/Acer-31-5-inch-80-01-Monitor/dp/B0788GQM7C

I have been waiting since November 2020 for a decent deal on monitor. Haven't found one worthy till now. Hoping for decent deals by the end of this year.
Was in same boat. settled with a 27" LG GL850 2k 144hz. I was atleast looking for a 32" 2k 144khz monitor as I already have a viewsonic 2k 32" 75 hz which looks great. issue is that market is not at all ready to accept consumers requirements. even a 34" 2k ultra wide will do but I don't find one selling :/

Back