Audio [ADVICE NEEDED] 5.1 home-theatre not working with OnePlus Smart TV

satadru_das

Recruit
Hey folks! Hope all are doing good and are safe.
I have a question regarding my 5.1 home-theatre not working with my smart TV.
So, I have a Sony DAV-TZ145 (which doesn't have Optic-audio port, HDMI ARC, but have RCA ports for L,R Audio and Video ) & bought an OnePlus Y series 43" TV (which alongside having optic, HDMI ARC, also has RCA ports as my DAV-TZ145 does).
Now, I got a 3RCA male-to-male cables and trying to connect TV and the audio-system, checked all settings in TV like audio, pcm, dolby...the sound always comes from TV.
I also have a laptop which I connect with a Dell monitor via HDMI, the monitor has audio ports (not sure if L,R..maybe line-in, mic) so I use a 2RCA connector to 1x 3.5mm jack which works with the monitor and I get my laptop audio to the 5.1 and works flawlessly!
I researched a bit on internet and it seems I need a DAC to make it work with the TV.

So, I was curious if the audio works in my monitor, why my TV unable to process audio like my monitor ?

Any leads, tips, clarifications, helps is much appreciated!

Hi, Recently I have bought Oneplus TV & I'm facing the same issue as you. I have the same model Home theatre that you have. If you got solution to this please share.

So, I have a Sony DAV-TZ145 (which doesn't have Optic-audio port, HDMI ARC, but have RCA ports for L,R Audio and Video ) & bought an OnePlus Y series 43" TV (which alongside having optic, HDMI ARC, also has RCA ports as my DAV-TZ145 does).
Now, I got a 3RCA male-to-male cables and trying to connect TV and the audio-system, checked all settings in TV like audio, pcm, dolby...the sound always comes from TV.
I also have a laptop which I connect with a Dell monitor via HDMI, the monitor has audio ports (not sure if L,R..maybe line-in, mic) so I use a 2RCA connector to 1x 3.5mm jack which works with the monitor and I get my laptop audio to the 5.1 and works flawlessly!
I researched a bit on internet and it seems I need a DAC to make it work with the TV.

So, I was curious if the audio works in my monitor, why my TV unable to process audio like my monitor ?

Can you share the pictures of the ports on both TV and home theatre?. Most probably you are connecting both inputs ports. I mean on the TV those RCA ports are composite input and they are meant for input only. And the ports on the 5.1 sound system is also for inputs.

While the port on the monitor is an AUDIO OUT and hence it is working properly.

Attachments

• image_2022-10-05_201800038.png
    image_2022-10-05_201800038.png
    144.8 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
Well this is it. I have searched for a solution, some of them mentioned about DAC. Sorry my TV is already attached can't move it. Sony Home theatre TZ145 & Oneplus 65U1S TV.

Attachments

• IMG_20221005_194323.jpg
    IMG_20221005_194323.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG-20221005-WA0002.jpeg
    IMG-20221005-WA0002.jpeg
    196.1 KB · Views: 194
Buy a 3.5 mm to RCA cable. Something like this

Put the black end inside the last port of the TV and the RED and White jack to the corresponding jacks on the home theater. Choose your input audio mode is home theatre to RCA / TV / Cable. That's it. you will hear Tv sound in speakers.

But note in this method you will get stereo sound only. That audio port is NOT capable of transferring 5.1 channel sound. Only a stereo is supported.

You will have to use RCA to RCA male cable from STB to the Sony system. That sound system doesn't even have HDMI input or optical input ports to get 5.1 audio. So you will have to use it as stereo system only.

AmazonBasics PBH-20216 2-Male to 2-Male RCA Audio Cable - 4 Feet (Black) https://amzn.eu/d/cNeE1A4

I remember this issue I faced in 2014 with my new LCD and sony HT. Think you have to change some setting on your Sony HT to accept the audio in... I had used tv aux to rca in on Sony HT. Just check....

Well this is it. I have searched for a solution, some of them mentioned about DAC. Sorry my TV is already attached can't move it. Sony Home theatre TZ145 & Oneplus 65U1S TV.
Have a look at the specs
1665034052338.png

It's clearly mentioned as AV input, also mentioned in the given accessories its "AV in adapter". So there is no analog audio out available in your TV. You have to use an active converter for optical to stereo out like this one FIIO - D03K

My mistake. That small port is actually mini composite in. And not a headphone jack. Your best bet is to convert the optical audio into RCA as rightly pointed out by @gourav.

You take the optical output from TV and connect it to the converter. Then use the RCA output of the converter and connect it to the input of the home theatre. You will also need to go into the TV sound setting and choose OPTICAL / PCM output as disable the TV speakers.

You will ABSOLUTELY need a DAC as your TV has only digital output and your home theatre has only analog input. So a DAC is essential to connect these two.

My mistake. That small port is actually mini composite in. And not a headphone jack. Your best bet is to convert the optical audio into RCA as rightly pointed out by @gourav.

You take the optical output from TV and connect it to the converter. Then use the RCA output of the converter and connect it to the input of the home theatre. You will also need to go into the TV sound setting and choose OPTICAL / PCM output as disable the TV speakers.

You will ABSOLUTELY need a DAC as your TV has only digital output and your home theatre has only analog input. So a DAC is essential to connect these two.
Just to clarify, DAC is a Digital to Analogue Convertor. HDMI, Optical, Coaxial are digital, meaning they transmit zeros and ones. RCA, D-SUB, 3.5 mm are analogue, meaning they enable communication by varying the voltage.

Your TV doesn't speak Analogue and your Home Theatre doesn't understand digital. So you need a translator in the middle. DAC is this translator.

Leaving this in case anyone reading above posts doesn't know what a DAC does.

Back