Advice Needed for buying Motorola Defy

wolvish

Disciple
Hi guys,
I'm new here. I am a Sales Executive and I travel a lot. When I came across the specs of the DEFY, I was pretty impressed and decided to buy one. I need some advice from the users here. Here goes,

1. Is the phone really water proof (or water resistant) for 30 minutes in 1m depth of water with all the ports covered as per IP67 ? Honestly I can live if the phone withstands occasional rainfalls.

2. Is that defective earpiece issue plaguing Indian models as well :huh:?

3. If something goes wrong with the phone, are there any authorized service centers for Motorola in India? When I looked up their Indian page, can't find anything :no:..

4. From TE, I learned about letsbuy.com, can I use the discount coupon and COD method to buy the phone for 15.2 k with proper invoice/bill? Is that valid in the service centers? (I live in Chennai)

5. When will the Reliance coupon code expire? Univercell site still shows the phone at 18 thousand w/o tax. If I opt for letsbuy, I get a deal for 15k, that's really impressive

Any feedback would be appreciated guys :hap2:

dexBG said:
[1] No lag issue .. you can very easily overclock the phone to 1Ghz using Milestone OC .. (technically this isn't an overclock since Moto underclocks the proccy to 800Mhz at factory). At 1 Ghz the phone is "silky-smooth" ala Zohan .. :D

[2] Call clarity is great .. Defy has an active noise cancellation mic. You can used various in-call sound profiles. Signal reception is also quite good .. even when traveling.

[3] Angry birds Rio lagged a little during intensive physics and effects. OC will smoothen that out too.

[4] One day or maybe more .. My usage is quite intensive and I always have a charger around.

[5] Natively it performs better at MP4 .. xvid/divx might require external players.

[6] Camera is quite good for outdoor shoots and the Macro shot is really nice. Indoors with low light, not impressive.

[7] 2.2 Officially / 2.3 through CM7 mod underdevelopment currently.
Could you please confirm if any game like Angry birds Rio lagged even after overclocking to 1Ghz ?

No lag what so ever after overclocking to 1Ghz on Angry Birds-Rio or any other game I've tried so far.

Once you upgrade to Froyo 2.2 the phone will become even smoother and faster.

Just upgraded to froyo. Battery backup has improved a lot. A lot smoother now. Waiting for CM7 stable version. I used french froyo, so now I have motoblur. You cannot unlock the mobile unless you log into motoblur. Most of the phones in India come without blur.

Just upgraded to froyo. Battery backup has improved a lot. A lot smoother now. Waiting for CM7 stable version. I used french froyo, so now I have motoblur. You cannot unlock the mobile unless you log into motoblur. Most of the phones in India come without blur.

Hi.. few questions.

-- Were there any issues with upgrading to French Froyo ?

-- Having Motoblur means you can integrate your Motoblur UI with your Motoblur account ?

-- "You cannot unlock the mobile unless you log into motoblur." .. Please explain ?-

-- Does Facebook integration now work on your phone now ?

killmastern3 said:
Hey buddy do you know how indian users can update their moto defy to froyo? I am asking about untouched froyo... which moto is giving to other country users through OTA... :)

Hades. said:
Hey buddy do you know how indian users can update their moto defy to froyo? I am asking about untouched froyo... which moto is giving to other country users through OTA... :)

Hey,
You will find the original French Rom in the link below.
[ROM]official french 3.4.2-164 + deodexed - xda-developers

In the link there are Fixed and Full SBF's. You need to flash a fixed sbf if you want to be able to downgrade back to 2.1.

Intall Defy USB drivers.
Download and install RSD Lite 4.9, you will find it in xda.
Backup all of your data.
Switch on the phone in bootloader mode (hold down the Vol+ button for 5 secs, then press the power button)
Once in bootloader, connect the mobile to the PC. RSD Lite will recognize the phone.
In RSD Lite, browse and select the downloaded sbf and flash.
The process will take about 3-5 mins. Once it is done, RSD will boot your phone.
Switch off your phone and go into recovery mode ( Hold Vol- button and press the power buton, initially Moto logo will appear and then you will see a triangle with robot, now press the Vol+ and Vol- buttons together)
In Recovery mode, wipe cache and wipe data and reboot and you are done.
Enjoy Froyo :)
( These are the steps i followed, and i installed Froyo successfully. Please dont blame me if you brick your phone :) )

I would advice you to read xda a bit before trying this. I was over confidant when i tried initially and phone wouldn't switch on for 3 days. But it was well worth the effort though :eek:hyeah:

Back