Airtel 3G Announced - Will support speeds upto 21 Mbps!

sam000 said:
what are you saying man? i am using BSNL 3g 24X7... last month i downloaded + upload crossed 300GB...stop misleading people.
I am just talking abt airtel if u can see this thread is abt airtel and private players. even i know abt bsnl unlimited 1399 plan but here we are talking abt airtel and not bsnl

If someone can afford paying 1499 for unlimited 3G, so be it. Remember that the plan wherein you pay 4200 for 6 months is a promotional, limited-time one. So that cannot be counted. Also from what I have read, BSNL 3G is probably the worst of all 3G providers as far as speeds are concerned and that happens because they have cheap, unlimited plans currently, because of which people are literally raping their network by downloading torrents and GBs of data day in, day out! Ofcourse, their network infrastructure may also be blamed for it but there is no doubt in my mind that if the operators provide affordable plans with decent data limits, the service would be much better!

delguy19 said:
I am just talking abt airtel if u can see this thread is abt airtel and private players. even i know abt bsnl unlimited 1399 plan but here we are talking abt airtel and not bsnl
even then your argument is not valid.
Was not mobile phones in the earlier stages thought as a luxury.
Gradually with time these things will go cheaper and with increased competition you will see prices reducing.
It is now upto the companies the so called private cos will have to slash the prices if there are no takers for their schemes for a long time whereas by that time bsnl earns heavily alongside with their affordable 3g plans.
The thing is govt companies too pay for their 3g licences and they will pay by introducing cheap plans .
The private players will play their card of better quality.
If video calling remains banned for longer time i dont see cos like airtel earning any money out of 3g.
They will have to depend on mergers for roaming tie up but as long as The tariffs are not realistic. They cannot expect any returns from Them.

delguy19 said:
You said 3g is not suited for downloading movies and stuff which is wrong.

Pat said:
If someone can afford paying 1499 for unlimited 3G, so be it. Remember that the plan wherein you pay 4200 for 6 months is a promotional, limited-time one. So that cannot be counted. Also from what I have read, BSNL 3G is probably the worst of all 3G providers as far as speeds are concerned and that happens because they have cheap, unlimited plans currently, because of which people are literally raping their network by downloading torrents and GBs of data day in, day out! Ofcourse, their network infrastructure may also be blamed for it but there is no doubt in my mind that if the operators provide affordable plans with decent data limits, the service would be much better!
Well i can only say about my experience with bsnl 3g and my exp. so far has been great... i get 400-500kB/s on private trackers consistently... even for Rs 1500 its a great deal.

arun687 said:
It would be enough if we get the theoretical EDGE speeds of 230kbps and constant and RELIABLE connection at all times. It's not the case with most of the operators. Also, with 3G there's the advantage of voice and data at the same time.

All I get in Docomo in peak hours is 50-60 kbps and at certain times it doesn't even connect. What's the use if you're stranded somewhere and want to use maps, do a quick google search for some info or to just check email and respond to them. If it isn't there for you when you need it the most, it is as good as it doesn't exist.
Docomo network is not even comparable to the big players network for eg Airtel, Vodafone, BPL etc... BTW what do u think u wud get stable speed if u'll use 3G... The same problem u wud face wid 3G like 2G if ur in a place where's the network signal is weak...
Telecom Players have just released 3G but only time will tell whether their network are even capable of handling huge traffic at peak times...

Activated Airtel 3G on my phone yesterday (Orange San Francisco). After the exorbitant pricing i was expecting good speeds at the very least. But the speeds are pathetic. Was getting 500 kbps speed at around 4 in the afternoon. Havent tried again after that but i was expecting a lot more. EDGE speeds at the same spot were 60 kbps

For Nokia N8 users & Airtel 3G...

I had purchased a Nokia N8 3 months back, my Airtel number was immediately activated with 6 months Edge free data plan (2gb)...

just few days back i got the Airtel 3G activated on the same number but i aint using N8 anymore..... but the best part is i am now using the 3G connection on another phone with the same N8 plan continued....... i have NOT recharged with any 3G topups...

AndroidIPA said:
For Nokia N8 users & Airtel 3G...

I had purchased a Nokia N8 3 months back, my Airtel number was immediately activated with 6 months Edge free data plan (2gb)...

just few days back i got the Airtel 3G activated on the same number but i aint using N8 anymore..... but the best part is i am now using the 3G connection on another phone with the same N8 plan continued....... i have NOT recharged with any 3G topups...
So i can borrow a N8, activate the 3G plan from it for a discount and use it? I'll give it a try next month i think.

Update, speeds improved a little today. Got a high of 900 kbps in one test. 500-600 in a few more tests. Lame :/

Dont blame Airtel/Docomo...these bloody minister Auctioned 3g Spectrum for 68000Cr....Where do you think these companies will recover them...From us using these crappy plans....Thank you so much Govt of India for such a lovely year ahead!!

rohan30186 said:
Dont blame Airtel/Docomo...these bloody minister Auctioned 3g Spectrum for 68000Cr....Where do you think these companies will recover them...From us using these crappy plans....Thank you so much Govt of India for such a lovely year ahead!!
And to think TRAI is soo enthusiastic about 4G auctions this year itself(more money loot fest)

waited for 3g services and now thnks to govt and service providers for me its of no use.......won't even think a second into buying a plan like that.........and can't say its airtel's fault.......i guess govt is too greedy wid scams and all the other things and didn't even think once that since 3g was launched very late in here spectrum allocation and other things should have been taken care of............at the end of the day I can just say I am happy with 2G:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah: don't know where the govt first of all wants the nation to go with their crap telecom policies and functioning and after that the providers pass the load to us consumers...........I would only hope better network and no call drops from 3G.........rest the delay and everything would ensure 3G is wasted in India!!

All the 3g rant makers
have you tried a distant voip call through 3g. You would notice tremendous improvement over voice clarity,next to none voice delay and the cheapest rates .
And i did fring call on it. That means no need to be sitting tight near the computer. Talking like just another voice call. It that small things you enjoy being a 3g user. :p

hunt3r said:
Update, speeds improved a little today. Got a high of 900 kbps in one test. 500-600 in a few more tests. Lame :/
hunt3r said:
But the speeds are pathetic. Was getting 500 kbps speed at around 4 in the afternoon. Havent tried again after that but i was expecting a lot more. EDGE speeds at the same spot were 60 kbps

Be glad. Things will only get worse in the long run. As more and more people switch to 3G you will be sharing the speed with them. Your speed will depend on how many people are contending for the bandwidth in your cell area. You will have to pay more for plans which guarantee minimum bandwidth.

This again will depend on the signal strength. You can get a cell tower installed on your roof though. :p

I think the best experience would be with operators who do not have enough subscribers in the first place.

Otaku said:
'Early adopters' would pay :D...for now I am sticking with plain old broadband and EDGE.

And early adopters will get what they pay for. Later on it is only going to get worse.

Took the plunge,

30822189.png

the singal bar had a H logo which was hsdpa

ggt said:
All the 3g rant makers
have you tried a distant voip call through 3g. You would notice tremendous improvement over voice clarity,next to none voice delay and the cheapest rates .
And i did fring call on it. That means no need to be sitting tight near the computer. Talking like just another voice call. It that small things you enjoy being a 3g user. :p

We both did have a voice chat via Fring on Reliance 3G n/w, and it was just like a normal voice call. Nice clarity too.

Back